Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

truth masseuse posted:

Re-watching SG:A for about the 7th time through. I'm on Letters from Pegasus now, but going to hopefully fit in Siege Parts I-III today. Also, I'm sure this has been said before, but I'm saying it anyways. Rodney and Sheppard carried that show. If MGM has any sense, they could make an entirely new low-budget SG series off of just those two roaming some distant galaxy arguing about naming things and such.

E: And Todd should be along for the ride as the necessary alien character.

Double E: I want to hit Teyla in the face with a lamp. He said, "IF THERE WAS TIME!"

My all-time favorite SGA episode was the one where Jackson and McKay investigate that lab. The ending was poo poo, but all the stuff with them together was gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe

Sinestro posted:

My all-time favorite SGA episode was the one where Jackson and McKay investigate that lab. The ending was poo poo, but all the stuff with them together was gold.

Ha! That was a good one. My jimmies still get rustled whenever I finish up any SG series. Because I know that MGM is probably never going to create anymore Stargate.

E: Also, why does this exist? And not a McKay? http://shop.mgm.com/stargate/stargate-atlantis/stargate-atlantis-dr-weir-series-1-action-figure.html

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

truth masseuse posted:

Ha! That was a good one. My jimmies still get rustled whenever I finish up any SG series. Because I know that MGM is probably never going to create anymore Stargate.

E: Also, why does this exist? And not a McKay? http://shop.mgm.com/stargate/stargate-atlantis/stargate-atlantis-dr-weir-series-1-action-figure.html

To be fair, we haven't had Stargate since SGA ended. Whether you like SGU or hate it, it's just not Stargate.

e: I guess we have the two "movies".

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe

JetsGuy posted:

To be fair, we haven't had Stargate since SGA ended. Whether you like SGU or hate it, it's just not Stargate.

SGU was just as valid of a Stargate series as all the others. Anyone who I've met who hated SGU had the attention span of a child, and an unhealthy obsession with Michael Bay movies.

The writers tried a different approach with SGU. They tried to add more drama, and reduce the number of fire-fights and explosions. It could have gone very well since things were really starting to get interesting in Season 2 as the show was finding its voice. But the wise men of MGM/Syfy nixed that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

truth masseuse posted:

There's going to be an announcement at San Diego about the future of Stargate.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

truth masseuse posted:

SGU was just as valid of a Stargate series as all the others. Anyone who I've met who hated SGU had the attention span of a child, and an unhealthy obsession with Michael Bay movies.

The writers tried a different approach with SGU. They tried to add more drama, and reduce the number of fire-fights and explosions. It could have gone very well since things were really starting to get interesting in Season 2 as the show was finding its voice. But the wise men of MGM/Syfy nixed that.

If you think people really liked Stargate for firefights and explosions your as retarded as you seem to think everyone else is. SGU tried to be a character drama where most of the characters were boring and poorly written.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

McKay exists - I have one standing on my shelf along with a half-finished Atlantis gate model (since I never got around to getting the figures with the remaining parts...)

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Rhyno posted:

There's going to be an announcement at San Diego about the future of Stargate.

I thought it was only some animation or game or something? I really just want a new TV show :(

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

kri kri posted:

I thought it was only some animation or game or something? I really just want a new TV show :(

All they said was it's about SG1.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

truth masseuse posted:

Look, if you want to say that you feel people who didn't like SGU just didn't give it a chance, just say so. Don't play this game of "everyone I know" didn't like it because "they have the attention span of a child".

I didn't like the show because I found none of the characters likable. Well, aside from Greer, and it was fairly clear to me (at least as far as I watched), that the writers intended him to be a character we didn't like. I understand if you find a show where everyone is reprehensible to be interesting. Really, I do. I, however, couldn't feel any empathy for any of them as a result of them being such horrible people.

It's cool they tried something new, because after SGA and SG1, it was a good idea to try something new. I'm not asking them to go through the gate for a WACKY NEW ADVENTURE every week. In fact, the premise of the show was actually fairly interesting. However, the show would have drastically improved with better writing. It also didn't help that Mallozzi pretty much told SG fans to go gently caress themselves if they didn't like it.

E;

In full disclosure, I stopped watching at the episode where a bunch of them got stranded on a planet (I think that was halfway through 1?). If, in your opinion, that means I didn't give the show enough of a chance, so be it.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

JetsGuy posted:

In full disclosure, I stopped watching at the episode where a bunch of them got stranded on a planet (I think that was halfway through 1?). If, in your opinion, that means I didn't give the show enough of a chance, so be it.

You should watch the second half of season 2 because it's genuinely good Stargate. They let things lighten up a little, took a little narrative focus away from some of the, uh, less successful characters, and really started heading in the right direction.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JetsGuy posted:

Look, if you want to say that you feel people who didn't like SGU just didn't give it a chance, just say so. Don't play this game of "everyone I know" didn't like it because "they have the attention span of a child".

I didn't like the show because I found none of the characters likable. Well, aside from Greer, and it was fairly clear to me (at least as far as I watched), that the writers intended him to be a character we didn't like. I understand if you find a show where everyone is reprehensible to be interesting. Really, I do. I, however, couldn't feel any empathy for any of them as a result of them being such horrible people.

It's cool they tried something new, because after SGA and SG1, it was a good idea to try something new. I'm not asking them to go through the gate for a WACKY NEW ADVENTURE every week. In fact, the premise of the show was actually fairly interesting. However, the show would have drastically improved with better writing. It also didn't help that Mallozzi pretty much told SG fans to go gently caress themselves if they didn't like it.

E;

I watched less than a quarter of the show but I feel I know enough to pass judgement upon it.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

bango skank posted:

I watched less than a quarter of the show but I feel I know enough to pass judgement upon it.

And yet, he's not wrong.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

truth masseuse posted:

Stargate wasn't ever about action. People hated SGU season 1 because it was terrible. Full stop. It just was. Atlantis started pretty bad too. Just because overall the franchise was good doesn't mean it didn't have missteps. SGU season 1 wasn't bad because it didn't have enough pew pew, it was bad because it relied way too heavily upon a poorly thought out plot device, the writers sucked at character drama, the show didn't know what it wanted to be, it was a major departure from actual Stargate (like, it didn't use the stargate ever) and it hamfistedly tried to be BSG.

That is a bad show. Not a failing of the audience or an issue of attention span.

And, as an aside, Michael Bay consistently shits out 2.5+ hour movies. Short attention spans isn't something he's banking on and has not for a long long time.

Forum Actuary
Jan 23, 2004
BRITISH

JetsGuy posted:

I didn't like the show because I found none of the characters likable. Well, aside from Greer, and it was fairly clear to me (at least as far as I watched), that the writers intended him to be a character we didn't like.

For what it's worth, Greer gets to be a great character as the show goes on, and some of season 2 really does feel like "real" Stargate.

Word from Mallozi on the subject of whatever's in the works, is that it's not a live action show :(

Holy Doughnuts!
Oct 20, 2010

Sergeant Butterman, the little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
Fighers crossed for a Thunderbirds style puppet show, like in the 200 episode or whatever.

Walfke
Jun 7, 2012
For the last two years I've been going to several conventions around Australia, which have recently really started to take off both locally and interstate [as opposed to just Adelaide].

I've had photographs with Michael Shanks, Ben Browder [also amazing in FarScape with Claudia Black] and several other of the crew. All of them have had really intreguing and interesting stories to tell about other cast members and moments on their shows.

For anyone in Australia that are interested in meeting their favorite Stargate and Sci-Fi fans, I would recommend looking up Armageddon Expo, and Oz Comic-Con [This one has only just started up, but seems to have had a great reception].

Photographs and autographs are unfortunately something that you need to pay for, however there are usually comic book artists and voice actors that are willing to autograph merchandise or like flyers for free.

Does anybody have any stories or moments with their favourite Stargate celebrities at meet and greets and events that they want to share?

Kree Jaffa!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

truth masseuse posted:

The show would have been better if McKay ran up to Weir holding a McKay action figure and saying "Can we talk?"

vandelay industries
Apr 6, 2007

what delay industries?
SGU season 1 wasn't very good just like SG1's first season. I stuck with it and it turned out to be quite a compelling show. I would have loved to see it go on as long as SGA did.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
EDIT: quote =/= edit!

JetsGuy fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jun 11, 2012

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

bango skank posted:

Since when does someone have to watch more than a quarter of a show's run to "pass judgement" upon whether they will like it or not? I'm not passing judgement based on 1 or two episodes, but rather 11. After 11 episodes, and the characters getting worse rather than better every single episode, I gave up.

Also, as I said, I watched til then end of 1.0, so I didn't watch "less" than a quarter of the series, but rather just an episode over a quarter series! :v:

vandelay industries posted:

SGU season 1 wasn't very good just like SG1's first season. I stuck with it and it turned out to be quite a compelling show. I would have loved to see it go on as long as SGA did.

Lots of shows have a hard time finding their place first season. If it were just a matter of bad storytelling, I'd have stuck with it. As I've said, however, the characters themselves were reprehensible and I found myself wholly unsympathetic towards them. Yes, SG1 had a slow start, but the characters were great.

Forum Actuary posted:

For what it's worth, Greer gets to be a great character as the show goes on, and some of season 2 really does feel like "real" Stargate.

My favorite SGU moment was when Greer cracked the civie in the head with the butt of his gun. That ruled.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

JetsGuy posted:

Lots of shows have a hard time finding their place first season. If it were just a matter of bad storytelling, I'd have stuck with it. As I've said, however, the characters themselves were reprehensible and I found myself wholly unsympathetic towards them. Yes, SG1 had a slow start, but the characters were great.

Hell, lots of shows had a slow start. TNG did, Seinfeld did, you could name dozens of fun and classic series that had shaky early seasons. There's a difference between "slow" and "retrograde".

SGU wasn't slow.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Season 2 was pretty excellent though. JetsGuy just shits on SGU any chance he gets in every single scifi thread he posts in. Just ignore it.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Yeah, SGU season 2 is actually pretty good. Even those of us who really really really hated season 1 will admit that. Some begrudgingly. I'm willing to admit when I'm wrong, and think I came around pretty quick to season 2 being decent when it was.

Even season 1 had a few good episodes, mostly the ones when they remembered the stargate existed. Also that one when Chloe got killed.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

IRQ posted:

Yeah, SGU season 2 is actually pretty good. Even those of us who really really really hated season 1 will admit that. Some begrudgingly. I'm willing to admit when I'm wrong, and think I came around pretty quick to season 2 being decent when it was.

Even season 1 had a few good episodes, mostly the ones when they remembered the stargate existed. Also that one when Chloe got killed.

If Joe Mallozzi had swallowed his pride sooner and let the improvements from season 2 start happening in season 1, we'd probably be watching SGU right now and talking about how glad we are that they hammered out the kinks from those early stinker eps before the whole thing got ruined.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
They wrapped season 1 filming about 3 weeks after the series premiere, so it's not about swallowing pride.

In the past, when Stargate airs in the summer, they have the benefit of viewer feedback when making the back half of the seasons.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

xerxus posted:

They wrapped season 1 filming about 3 weeks after the series premiere, so it's not about swallowing pride.

Considering his blog, it would've been anyway.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
He wasn't an Executive Producer for season 1. I recall from his blog that he usually had some pretty good story ideas that gets shot down by other writers.

His biggest sin (along with Brad Wright) is taking crazed fan reactions personally and then responding.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Crossposting from the gif thread with some more gifs I made during my SG-1 rewatch.

If there's anything you want me to GIF from any episode after this one (s10e06) let me know and I'll do it for you.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

xerxus posted:

He wasn't an Executive Producer for season 1. I recall from his blog that he usually had some pretty good story ideas that gets shot down by other writers.

His biggest sin (along with Brad Wright) is taking crazed fan reactions personally and then responding.

Along these lines, one thing that the internet (particularly twitter) has done is allow crazed fans (of anything) to *actually* contact celebrities. In the past, these voices really wouldn't have been heard, or just buried with other letters. I really don't blame Joe for reacting the way he did to some of the letters, especially those he posted on his blog.

I'd reiterate that a bigger misstep was more in the way he lumped in those with people who had, in my opinion, legitimate criticisms of the show. He just dismissed any criticism as coming from a crazy person.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

JetsGuy posted:

I recall the creator of the show going on some fansite to basically rant at the fans after a bunch of fans trashed SGU for being Stargate in name only.

His reply basically boiled down to "NONE OF YOU CAN APPRECIATE MY VISION!". Which is never a good thing to hear a producer, developer, or anyone in the upper end of the production staff say. I think i've heard that line maybe 3 times total in the past, one way or another, and the product in question has always ended in tragedy because of it.

Really, most people I knew that watched Stargate didn't like it because it unironically cribbed the 200 (I believe it was the 200th episode.) series parody episode like it was a real thing that should happen.

In fact, that episode specifically riffed on a ton of things SGU did, that the episode was making fun of as bad writing that typically comes from equally bad writers. Like the whole darker and edgier style, the characters quality regressing from interesting people to one-liner spouting jackasses, the random pregnancy out of nowhere, shoe-horning in a focus on younger characters where it wasn't appropriate to the setting, and teen level drama.

Probably forgetting a few things they made fun of in that episode that SGU did, too. It was a pretty big joke on the net at the time when SGU first started out.

It also didn't help that by the internal logic of the universe, Carter and McKay should have teamed up in a two-parter episode to bring them home. Which given the insane poo poo they pull off on a regular basis, is pretty hard to believe that they couldn't, plot contrivances or not. Bringing a starship home is a piece of cake compared to nuking an entire solar system for shits and giggles, or loving with the fabric of reality itself.

Hell, if all else failed they could have Daniel pull out a deus ex machina and ascend for the umpteenth time and bring the drat ship home before getting kicked out of the godhood club again.

Season 2 might have been good (I couldn't bear to sit through the last few episodes of season 1 as it was being produced.), but by that point anyone who had any interest in the show had pretty much fled the scene. Especially after the whole rumored creator meltdown.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Jun 13, 2012

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

If there's anything you want me to GIF from any episode after this one (s10e06) let me know and I'll do it for you.

Could we have a GIF of the Dakara destruction in the next episode?

And of the loving awful dragon from episode 10 or 11?

And a selection from the finale.

Thanks.

Flater
Oct 20, 2006

Ask me about sucking Batman's dick

Archonex posted:

Carter and McKay should have teamed up in a two-parter episode to bring them home.
They actually had an episode with McKay on it. People who only watched stuff from the first season and JetsGuy especially really need to check out the second season instead of just grumbling about it. I know it probably won't happen because "UGH IT'S NOT STARGATE" because SGU was never as jokey and campy as SG-1 but it was definitely coming into its own in season 2 and it's a shame we never got more or at least a satisfying ending.

Oh and by the way JetsGuy the writers never wanted you to dislike Greer they just took more than one episode to delve past his exterior and into his motives.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
I don't fault anyone for giving up after season 1, but season 2 was loving solid.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

golgo13sf posted:

I don't fault anyone for giving up after season 1, but season 2 was loving solid.

If by "loving solid" you mean mediocre instead of loving awful, then you're correct.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

PriorMarcus posted:

Could we have a GIF of the Dakara destruction in the next episode?

And of the loving awful dragon from episode 10 or 11?

And a selection from the finale.

Thanks.

Here you go, first one is done.

I'll make and post the rest as and when the episodes come up.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Here you go, first one is done.

I'll make and post the rest as and when the episodes come up.

Thank you, that's awesome.

It just occurred to me, but I hope I didn't give away any spoilers in my request. But I think your on a rewatch, right?

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

PriorMarcus posted:

Thank you, that's awesome.

It just occurred to me, but I hope I didn't give away any spoilers in my request. But I think your on a rewatch, right?

Yeah not to worry, this is probably my fourth or fifth time through the series as a whole so spoilers aren't an issue. :)

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Flater posted:

They actually had an episode with McKay on it.

Unless that episode was the series finale where the beleaguered crew of the good starship Plot Contrivance all make their triumphant return home, the writers were screwing with their audience for ratings. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Here's your bad CGI dragon. I couldn't bear to do a gif of it flapping around in the cave or walking about in the field because it just looks embarrasingly bad.