Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Is the V1 significantly less comfortable? I managed to find a lone v1 leap going for $250 on craigslist, but I could order from either of these places as a backup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
The V1 actually has an additional/optional seat lip angle adjustment, whereas on the V2 it's just flexible.

I didn't really find a difference in comfort, but the V2 is a bit more modern looking - the V1 looks kinda bulky in comparison, but otherwise unless it's one with the "arch" frame instead of the "ribbon" frame, it won't look all that outdated.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Holy crap these guys might actually ship to me free. I'm guessing not likely though. In the case that they do, does anyone have any goon testimonials about this site? After reading about all the crap that's happened with other online retailers, I'm a little wary of this one.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
Mine arrives in a few days - I got the V2 w/ platinum base. They shipped it out and gave me a fedex ground tracking number the day after the order.

Was originally going to order from national office liquidators, but they wanted $207 for shipping, and through some random trucking company that requires you to unload it from the truck yourself. And shipping time was like 2 weeks.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
Just received my leap from designer seating.

The good: Unlike national office liquidators, the chair was well packed: double boxed, and the seat frame was covered/padded in copious amounts of sheet foam.

The bad: Advertised as "excellent like BRAND NEW condition" preowned " EXCELLENT MINT Condition", but very visibly used. The casters were kinda dirty, and so were the arm rests. The seat frame, legs, and back show wear and tear. The fabric is some crappy felt like material (not a fabric that steelcase uses), and reupholstered over the original fabric.

I'm going to get in touch with them to see what they plan to do about it.

edit: Also, the "platinum" frame colour is still painted over hard nylon/plastic - same material used for the base black version.

rawrr fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jun 3, 2012

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I picked up a V1 Leap from a local via Craigslist this weekend. It is basically in brand new condition, bought last year by a couple who have to be two of the skinniest humans I've ever encountered. The only thing it doesn't have is the slider to adjust lumbar height. The lumbar height seems fine on it, but can you buy an attachment to add that adjustment? Even without, $250 for the most comfortable chair I've ever owned ain't bad.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
The lumbar strap can be purchased from a Steelcase dealer for about $75 - however, the chair backs that have the lumbar option have additional ridges for the lumbar strap to click into and helps it stay in place.

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003
Does anyone know of any good online retailres for ergonomic chairs in Canada? Local store here has the leaps for $899+Tax, but thats fairly pricey.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006
Ordered an Embody today. Just the basic fabric in black with arms and regular casters. The thing which sold me on this chair was the ability to adjust the back to my spinal curve. My leap at work sorta does this, in that you can use your stomach muscles to push back on the backrest, and the chair obeys this, but it isn't nearly as comfortable as the embody was. Also took a look at the Aeron, but I didn't find the ones at work comfortable, nor does the chair seem very ergonomic.

I think I did alright on the price: I was charged $830 with the arms and regular fabric, which seems to be less than most online places. Should arrive in two weeks.

Maybe I can sell the Staples special that I have now to a student for $75.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

krooj posted:

Ordered an Embody today. Just the basic fabric in black with arms and regular casters. The thing which sold me on this chair was the ability to adjust the back to my spinal curve. My leap at work sorta does this, in that you can use your stomach muscles to push back on the backrest, and the chair obeys this, but it isn't nearly as comfortable as the embody was. Also took a look at the Aeron, but I didn't find the ones at work comfortable, nor does the chair seem very ergonomic.

I think I did alright on the price: I was charged $830 with the arms and regular fabric, which seems to be less than most online places. Should arrive in two weeks.

Maybe I can sell the Staples special that I have now to a student for $75.

where did you get an embody for 830?

I just ordered one last friday 1050, with the 15% off herman miller sale. also with arms, extra castors, and standard fabric.

I just broke down - that's a loving lot of money for a chair, but like you, I tried all these other chairs and it was just like 50% more comfortable for me.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

mindphlux posted:

where did you get an embody for 830?

I just ordered one last friday 1050, with the 15% off herman miller sale. also with arms, extra castors, and standard fabric.

I just broke down - that's a loving lot of money for a chair, but like you, I tried all these other chairs and it was just like 50% more comfortable for me.

http://www.prestigebusinessinteriors.com/ - They're in Waterloo, Ontario.

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003
Anyone try the Raynor Ergohuman? It looks great and is priced reasonably, but I can't try one locally. The leather one is less than a base steelcase leap for me, and I need leather cause I have a cat. Leather addon for the Leap is another $500.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
I'm actually quite disappointed by the standard steelcase leather. Either add another hundred on top for Elmosoft leather, or pay around $75 for Ultrafabric Brisa, which is a breathable faux leather that isn't slippery or sticky, and way more durable and easy to clean/maintain than leather.

I don't know if either options are available online, but they are available via authorized steelcase dealers.

After like 2 months of looking into Leap chairs and having bought both a fully loaded v1 and a plain v2, I now embarrassingly know a lot more about them than I would like to admit.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Phiberoptik posted:

Anyone try the Raynor Ergohuman? It looks great and is priced reasonably, but I can't try one locally. The leather one is less than a base steelcase leap for me, and I need leather cause I have a cat. Leather addon for the Leap is another $500.
Avoid. Ergohuman is a strictly budget import brand that decided to make a chair to compete with the LOOK of the modern post-Aeron generation of chairs. They're aimed squarely at people who don't know any better.

rawrr posted:

I'm actually quite disappointed by the standard steelcase leather. Either add another hundred on top for Elmosoft leather, or pay around $75 for Ultrafabric Brisa, which is a breathable faux leather that isn't slippery or sticky, and way more durable and easy to clean/maintain than leather.

I don't know if either options are available online, but they are available via authorized steelcase dealers.
Standard in-stock leathers are usually pretty crummy. If you want a good leather, be prepared to pay a LOT for it, and most likely you'll have to find the material yourself and custom-order the chair (not easy to do).

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
Right, and in this case, the Elmosoft leather is "only" a $700ish MSRP upgrade vs $600 for steelcase leather. It's what comes standard on the lounge version of the Leap. Even if I could afford it, I'd still go for Brisa - I'll be buying the fabric and reupholstering my chair with that soon.

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003
How difficult would it be to reupholster a leap if I bought one?

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
I'll let you know in a couple of weeks, but it should be fairly straightforward. Remove a few screws, staple new fabric on top, reinsert screws.

The leap was designed to be taken apart fairly easily.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Generally fabrics are firmly glued onto the cushions of chairs - maybe that's not the case with the Leap, but I suspect it will be a lot harder than removing a few staples. I'll be interested to hear how it goes though.

If it is glued on, a possible solution might be to order a brand new seat cushion already upholstered - if you can find someone who will sell that to you. No idea if Steelcase even does custom orders like that.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jun 8, 2012

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
I would just be stapling the new fabric over the old one - there really isn't a reason to remove it anyway.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I'm glad this thread exists - I'm sat in a crappy £40 Viking Direct chair that I got from my in laws when they replaced theirs and have finally reached the point where I'd rather spend some money on a decent chair than keep buying crappy ones every couple of years and using them until they fall to bits.

Thanks to this thread, I've gone looking for the Leap and found that in the UK there's a company liquidating a bunch of ex-Lehman Brothers chairs on eBay, so I've ordered one. So basically, cheers everyone! SH/SC once again has helped me out.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
For anyone in the LA area, I found a warehouse that's selling Leaps for $229. I'll check it out and report back.

The only problem is that it's in West Compton, so if you don't hear for me, I may have died for your furniture needs.

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003
Local steelcase retailer near me has stock models to let customers test drive for a few days before ordering :)

Also have Brisa leather options for only another $50 above normal BTO prices of cloth, so probably gonna go with that.

Still a bit torn between leap and think, as both were very comfy.

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003
On the same topic of computer ergonomics, does anyone have any recommendations for products to reduce wrist pain from typing / mousing?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Does anyone make a comfy chair that:

- comes with a headrest option
- reclines pretty far (because I'm a slouchy bugger)

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007

Phiberoptik posted:

On the same topic of computer ergonomics, does anyone have any recommendations for products to reduce wrist pain from typing / mousing?

I've tried something like this in store, and it was amazing http://www.amazon.com/3M-Knob-Adjus...m+keyboard+tray

You can lean back on your chair, and the keyboard angle options allows you to keep your wrists straight.

Rocketpriest
Nov 28, 2006
Alias: Non-Demoninational Minister Capable of Sub-Atmospheric Flight
So I just had basically the biggest stroke of luck ever. Last night my terrible Officemax cheepo chair broke enough that it was no longer usable at all, what with its back hanging off and such. So I go looking through the SA forums, as one does, to solve yet another one of my problems, and in this thread I discover a chair even better than the Aeron I thought I wanted: The Herman Miller Embody. It was waaay out of my price range, but I looked on ebay to get a feeling for how much they are used (still out of my price range). Then, on a whim, I checked Craigslist in my area and there was one for $500. Snagged the poo poo out of it today, and it is so loving comfortable my back can't believe it. A lot heavier than I expected, but that doesn't matter once you get it where it's gonna live.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006
^^ That's a great deal. Congrats.

Phiberoptik posted:

Work is loaning me a Contour mouse which seems to work well. For the keyboard, I just try to type properly (from the home row) and use a Gel strip from Staples. The mouse makes a huge difference, because it forces me to move my entire forearm instead of just my wrist. The mouse is enormous.

krooj fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jun 11, 2012

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003
Anyone have experience with MadisonSeating.com? They have pretty good deals and I want to make an order but wanna make sure they dont have some of the problems other sties have had since I'll be ordering from Canada.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

krooj posted:

^^ That's a great deal. Congrats.

Work is loaning me a Contour mouse which seems to work well. For the keyboard, I just try to type properly (from the home row) and use a Gel strip from Staples. The mouse makes a huge difference, because it forces me to move my entire forearm instead of just my wrist. The mouse is enormous.

I really like the Microsoft Natural line of keyboards. It has a really tall riser on the front and a curved/split keyboard so your wrists are perfectly straight the whole time you use it. I'm still trying to convince work to hook me up with an ergonomic mouse, though. This gel wristpad mousepad is just not doing it.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I really like the Microsoft Natural line of keyboards. It has a really tall riser on the front and a curved/split keyboard so your wrists are perfectly straight the whole time you use it. I'm still trying to convince work to hook me up with an ergonomic mouse, though. This gel wristpad mousepad is just not doing it.

I am also a fan of the Microsoft Natural (specifically the 4000). I have had good results easing tendinitis with a gel wrist-rest for the mouse. (Your mileage may vary, et cetera.)

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Ergonomics are different for everyone - some people love their split keyboards and gel wrist pads. Me, I get horrible pain if I use a gel wrist pad and I need a tiny keyboard without a numpad so I can better line up the mouse/keyboard with the screen. Basically, find whatever is most comfortable for you and allows you access to everything you need on your desk with a minimal amount of movement.

If your company has an ergonomist on staff that does evaluations, take advantage of it, and apply the same principles at home. Even small companies can do this, a lot of ergonomic consultants will do one-offs as part of their business.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Our on-staff ergonomist basically just wanders in, tries to bully you into getting a standing desk, and then leaves.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Our on-staff ergonomist basically just wanders in, tries to bully you into getting a standing desk, and then leaves.
Well... You should listen. Sit-stand is the healthiest, most ergonomic way to work. If your company actually offers to pay for a good height adjustable table, you should jump at the chance.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Well... You should listen. Sit-stand is the healthiest, most ergonomic way to work. If your company actually offers to pay for a good height adjustable table, you should jump at the chance.

It's not height adjustable. They bring you a desk with long-rear end legs, one height fits all.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

I used one of these boards many years ago, and actually managed to wear it out. Keyboard layouts have never really made a difference in comfort for me, and at work I just use a Leopold mechanical. The only thing I've read on keyboards which intrigues me is variable weighted keys (keys which are further from centre take less force to engage), such as the Topre RealForce series. Unfortunately, I refuse to spend $300 on a keyboard.

Phiberoptik posted:

Anyone have experience with MadisonSeating.com? They have pretty good deals and I want to make an order but wanna make sure they dont have some of the problems other sties have had since I'll be ordering from Canada.

If you're near a major city (To, Mtl, Van), I'd be patient and watch local CL/Kijiji. Even in Kitchener/Waterloo, I see private Aeron ads go up. And I don't know about you, but I'd feel safer buying from an original owner than a liquidator.

krooj fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jun 12, 2012

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003

krooj posted:

I used one of these boards many years ago, and actually managed to wear it out. Keyboard layouts have never really made a difference in comfort for me, and at work I just use a Leopold mechanical. The only thing I've read on keyboards which intrigues me is variable weighted keys (keys which are further from centre take less force to engage), such as the Topre RealForce series. Unfortunately, I refuse to spend $300 on a keyboard.

If you're near a major city (To, Mtl, Van), I'd be patient and watch local CL/Kijiji. Even in Kitchener/Waterloo, I see private Aeron ads go up. And I don't know about you, but I'd feel safer buying from an original owner than a liquidator.

I live in halifax =/ Not a lot here, looked around.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!
Any suggestions on a lumbar support? Theres no way my company will spring for a badass chair, but I do have an injured back and figured I would pick one up.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Dyscrasia posted:

Any suggestions on a lumbar support? Theres no way my company will spring for a badass chair, but I do have an injured back and figured I would pick one up.

This may be a terribly silly idea, but what if you wore one of those weightlifting belts? Those are supposed to support your lower back, right? I wonder if it would help at all while sitting.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

prefect posted:

This may be a terribly silly idea, but what if you wore one of those weightlifting belts? Those are supposed to support your lower back, right? I wonder if it would help at all while sitting.

I've got a back support brace that did not really help too much, as the injury is a disk lower on my spine. I do have a weightlifting belt though, that would be pretty awesome to break out in the office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

It's not height adjustable. They bring you a desk with long-rear end legs, one height fits all.
Ah. Hmm. That's not as good. Sit-stand is wonderful, but standing all day kinda sucks unless you're a fitness superstar.

Tell your ergo person you'll do it only if they get you a electric sit-stand desk. Maybe then he/she will leave you alone.