Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Occupation posted:

I wonder why he went with the altogether lovely and unreliable alternative to KS instead of...you know...KS.

Isn't the guy behind The Oatmeal Canadian? Or am I out of my mind? If he is, that's why. Same reason projects like EXP Bar went with IndieGoGo instead of KS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

octoroon posted:

Yeah, but the fact that he can use an indie game crowdsourcing site as a vehicle for that kind of shows something may be wrong.

You know these sites aren't just about gaming, right? They're crowdsourcing as a whole.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

NmareBfly posted:

Well, mouthbreathing 12 year olds continue to be upset about the Tropes v. Women kickstarter.

:hurr:

More on her site that I won't paste here because I'm not sure if this is a great place to discuss this. Still, four days left to get her up to 1,000% of her goal if you want to help prove a point? Even though she may have no idea what to do with the money by now, all the stretch goals have been completely crushed.

Huh. She could even fund a second video series at this point. I think it'd be cool if she did a similar thing about the representation of men in video games to make it a more complete look at gender in this medium.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Huh. She could even fund a second video series at this point. I think it'd be cool if she did a similar thing about the representation of men in video games to make it a more complete look at gender in this medium.

I don't really think that's her field of interest and also I don't think the way men are portrayed contributes to a culture where men are routinely victimized, objectified, and marginalized. Unless this is a "where is my white entertainment television" situation.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Al! posted:

I don't really think that's her field of interest and also I don't think the way men are portrayed contributes to a culture where men are routinely victimized, objectified, and marginalized. Unless this is a "where is my white entertainment television" situation.

Are you asking if I'm a misogynist? No, I just think that there are enough stupid tropes about men(which certainly DO promote a certain picture of masculinity) in games to warrant a project. I didn't say anything about the relative value of it compared to her current project or anything like that.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

The false expectations set by media are damaging to all sexes and that's a topic that is a very valid point of exploration. Just because women are definitely worse off than men in society does not somehow invalidate the damage that is done by the still slightly rigid views on what is "acceptably masculine."

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

NmareBfly posted:

Well, mouthbreathing 12 year olds continue to be upset about the Tropes v. Women kickstarter.

More on her site that I won't paste here because I'm not sure if this is a great place to discuss this. Still, four days left to get her up to 1,000% of her goal if you want to help prove a point? Even though she may have no idea what to do with the money by now, all the stretch goals have been completely crushed.

I'm sort of confused about whether you can really say that the representation of women in videogames falls into a "few" stereotypes, when she is going to go through a whopping ten of them.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

The point is, she mainly focuses on women and their portrayals in media (her site is called Feminist Frequency for a reason). That could be an interesting project, but it's not her style.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
It's all worth talking about and exploring. I took a course in college about the history of miscegenation and segregation, and one of the things we looked at was how mainstream portayals of black characters changed in the sixties and seventies.

There's a letter on Letters of Note from John Steinbeck in the early forties complaining that a black character in a script he wrote had been changed to be more buffoonish for comic relief. That was a common trope for black characters in early film and television.

Then, during the black power movement, there was a sea change to the new archetype, where black men were cast in aggressive and physically dominant roles, like the hardass detective or the jocular sergeant or whatever. You could say the modern portrayal of black characters is more dignified, but it's still a common stereotype.

I think its a positive sign that games like the new Postal, Leisure Suit Larry and Duke Nukem bombed. There's a way to celebrate sexuality or even blacksploitation traditions without being gross. Something like House of the Dead Overkill only work because the developers and players both acknowledge it's silly.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

NINbuntu 64 posted:

You know these sites aren't just about gaming, right? They're crowdsourcing as a whole.

Yeah, my bad. I didn't mean to type "game" after "indie," just force of habit. My point still stands, though -- seems a little bit like an abuse of the crowdsourcing spirit. But hey, if people want to throw their money at something, far be it from me to judge.

Mr.48 posted:

I'm sort of confused about whether you can really say that the representation of women in videogames falls into a "few" stereotypes, when she is going to go through a whopping ten of them.

Isn't getting up in arms about misuse of the word "few" a bit pedantic? I think you can figure out the gist given the context, especially given that "whopping" might be contested as a descriptor of "ten."

speng31b fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jun 12, 2012

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
The Oatmeal as a Hyperbole and a Half ripoff? Is that some kind of joke? The Oatmeal is probably older, or at the very least basically contemporary, not to mention hilarious in entirely different ways than Hyperbole and a Half.

Seriously, all of you have probably seen or even reposted a The Oatmeal cartoon at some point.

Yeah, they were both started in 2009.

And The Oatmeal has already raised $70,000 in like six hours.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

octoroon posted:

Isn't getting up in arms about misuse of the word "few" a bit pedantic? I think you can figure out the gist given the context, especially given that "whopping" might be contested as a descriptor of "ten."

In her pitch she really emphasizes that there are only a few stereotypical representations of women in videogames. If you can name at least 10 then I would say that they are not really stereotypes, but simply archetypes. And given that male characters also typically fit into no more than a dozen archetypes in videogames I dont see why people are considering this such a huge issue.

Edit: I personally think a more important question to ask is why more games feature male protagonists than female, rather than why female characters are sometimes portrayed in this or that way. Basically I have a problem with her particular thesis, not with the importance of examining the roles of female characters in games.

Mr.48 fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jun 12, 2012

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
You're dumb as rocks.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Role Play McMurphy posted:

You're dumb as rocks.

I spent a really long time trying to come up with a bunch of longwinded explanations that go into the various reasons why his reasoning is flawed on several levels, but nothing really expressed what I wanted to say as well as this did right here.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Archetypes and stereotypes are basically the same thing. Except archetypes don't negatively affect real people.

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

Mr.48 posted:

Edit: I personally think a more important question to ask is why more games feature male protagonists than female, rather than why female characters are sometimes portrayed in this or that way. Basically I have a problem with her particular thesis, not with the importance of examining the roles of female characters in games.

Wow.

I'm pretty sure she isn't worried at the ratio of men to women, but rather how the women are portrayed when included. Right or wrong that ratio is likely a marketing thing. I loved the No One Lives Forever series, but from what I've read online a third one never came about, in part at least, because no one wanted to play a female lead. That was a shame. Eliminating the “troupes” seems to be the most important and immediate concern for her project.

Dragonrah fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jun 12, 2012

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Again, <3 Brian Mitsoda and the crew and I wish them all the best, but this poor Dead State Kickstarter is doing the whole two steps forward one step back thing. Check out their latest update about rewards. A bunch of cool physical stuff... plus a picture of one of the weapons from their stretch goal, all ready to go into the game :doh:

Someone needs to explain to them that "stretch goals" work best when you can at least plausibly claim that you need the extra money to implement them. Showing off a partially finished stretch goal when you're not even 3/4ths of the way to your normal goal is... inapposite at best.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Dragonrah posted:

Wow.

I'm pretty sure she isn't worried at the ratio of men to women, but rather how the women are portrayed when included. Right or wrong that ratio is likely a marketing thing. I loved the No One Lives Forever series, but from what I've read online a third one never came about, in part at least, because no one wanted to play a female lead. This is a shame. Eliminating the “troupes” seems to be the most important and immediate concern for her project.

I went ahead and threw $25 in as I am interested in seeing how it turns out.

It's honestly a big self-fulfilling prophecy, really. The ratio of male:female characters in media in generally is hugely skewed toward more men than women because female characters tend to be poorly written and portrayed mainly as sex objects and passive characters, not dynamic and interesting characters who are fun and exciting to watch. So people go "I don't like this character" and marketing types assume it's because the character is female and not because it's a bad character, so you end up with less female characters in general, and the ones that do exist are all lovely sex kittens made with sex appeal first and characterization second. So people say "Gamers don't like female characters", but that's only because the female characters that are available are pretty much uniformly terrible. Nobody watches, say, Aliens and goes "Ugh, we're watching a GIRL?" because Ripley's a good character and a strong protagonist who accomplishes things and moves the plot forward in an engaging fashion instead of being a nymphomaniac with dynamic boob physics who keeps getting kidnapped and put into skimpy outfits.

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

WARNING: Temporal rift detected!
I would just like to commend you all on how helpful and valuable this thread is for someone trying to find out more about KickStarter.

This just about sums it all up in one page.

Duke of Straylight
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Holy hell, that FunnyJunk letter isn't asking for damages, it's extortion. They don't even bother establishing what the number $20,000 has to do with anything, they're just saying "you've got a pterodactyl in your page source so you intended to do harm, now pay up". I swear this is the most godawfully stupid thing I've read in years.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

To elaborate on what is going on with Dead State, today's update adds two new tiers with physical rewards. A bullet USB keychain at $85 and a collector's edition box set at $250 that comes with a ton of stuff (DVD game copy/music CD/shirt/USB keychain/signed "Making Of" book/paper manual/prints of in-game material/signed thank-you letter/2 extra digital copies).

I think Brian is a little too focused on the details, if the first stretch goal something along the lines of "Help us hire our artist full-time and he'll be able to create more assets for the game!" it might be a better pitch.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

dvorak posted:

I would just like to commend you all on how helpful and valuable this thread is for someone trying to find out more about KickStarter.

This just about sums it all up in one page.
This post is great, because whether it is serious or sarcastic, it is actually serious. Because either you learned a lot about Kickstarter inbetween all the debates about things on Kickstarter, or you are making a comment about how Kickstarter is mostly arguing about the merits of various Kickstarters, which is basically true at this point.

:thejoke:

This thread and the Awful Kickstarters thread certainly have begun creeping closer together in content, which is funny.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Being informed about Kickstarters is all about knowing good from bad, after all.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

NmareBfly posted:

This ranks pretty high up on the list of things that make me embarrassed to be a gamer. It's like shining a light behind your fridge to discover a bunch of cockroaches, only instead of scattering they start lunging at you and crawling up your pants leg. I can't up my donation more than I already have, and I'm not sure how much good it would do anyway, but drat if I don't want to donate more anyway just because of this bullshit. I'm sure I'm not the only one thinking that, either. These trolls are apparently completely unfamiliar with the Streisand effect.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Mr.48 posted:

In her pitch she really emphasizes that there are only a few stereotypical representations of women in videogames. If you can name at least 10 then I would say that they are not really stereotypes, but simply archetypes. And given that male characters also typically fit into no more than a dozen archetypes in videogames I dont see why people are considering this such a huge issue.

First of all, the argument is really about quality, not quantity. Breaking things down into smaller categories (or "tropes") is just a good way to analyze where things go wrong. If you are really extremely preoccupied with getting at the source of the word "few," it doesn't take great leaps and bounds to figure it out. Half of the tropes she talks about could be more broadly categorized out under the umbrella of "vapid sex object." Also, there are tons of niches male characters are allowed to fill that female characters are implicitly barred from. Try to think of a female protagonist who is not a child and who is not sexy -- specifically one who has an atypical body type or is "ugly" or "scarred." Just something to consider.

Also, her central thesis here is not preoccupied with the ratio of female:male characters in games. If you actually took the time to watch the video and read the KickStarter, and that was honestly your takeaway and not just a strawman you built to make dismissive posts about it in this thread, then I'm not sure what to say. Ratio is just a symptom of a larger problem. Stacking mountains of female characters into games as a ratio adjustment exercise without fixing the problems that make those characters so inevitably broken isn't a solution to anything. And yeah, plenty of male characters in video games suck, too -- but as a whole, they don't suck nearly as much as female characters do, and there's nothing wrong with using a KickStarter to point it out.

speng31b fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jun 12, 2012

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

seorin posted:

This ranks pretty high up on the list of things that make me embarrassed to be a gamer. It's like shining a light behind your fridge to discover a bunch of cockroaches, only instead of scattering they start lunging at you and crawling up your pants leg. I can't up my donation more than I already have, and I'm not sure how much good it would do anyway, but drat if I don't want to donate more anyway just because of this bullshit. I'm sure I'm not the only one thinking that, either. These trolls are apparently completely unfamiliar with the Streisand effect.

Being embarrassed that other people who share a similar hobby are dicks is just encouraging people to see that hobby as the source of said dickishness.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

octoroon posted:

First of all, the argument is really about quality, not quantity. Breaking things down into smaller categories (or "tropes") is just a good way to analyze where things go wrong. If you are really extremely preoccupied with getting at the source of the word "few," it doesn't take great leaps and bounds to figure it out. Half of the tropes she talks about could be more broadly categorized out under the umbrella of "vapid sex object." Also, there are tons of niches male characters are allowed to fill that female characters are implicitly barred from. Try to think of a female protagonist who is not a child and who is not sexy -- specifically one who has an atypical body type or is "ugly" or "scarred." Just something to consider.

Perfect example (sorry for Kotaku copy paste),

Kotaku posted:

But in the upcoming Tomb Raider reboot, things will be different. She hasn't become that woman yet. And executive producer Ron Rosenberg says you'll want to keep her safe.
"When people play Lara, they don't really project themselves into the character," Rosenberg told me at E3 last week when I asked if it was difficult to develop for a female protagonist.

"They're more like 'I want to protect her.' There's this sort of dynamic of 'I'm going to this adventure with her and trying to protect her.'"

So is she still the hero? I asked Rosenberg if we should expect to look at Lara a little bit differently than we have in the past.

"She's definitely the hero but— you're kind of like her helper," he said. "When you see her have to face these challenges, you start to root for her in a way that you might not root for a male character."

In the new Tomb Raider, Lara Croft will suffer. Her best friend will be kidnapped. She'll get taken prisoner by island scavengers. And then, Rosenberg says, those scavengers will try to rape her.

And this is a game that is coming out this year. A "more gritty, real" take on Lara Croft wasn't to take her character and go "ok, so what can we do to give her stronger characterization than has boobs, shoots guns" they go and turn her from one stereotype into another.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
The Tomb Raider thing also reminds me a lot of Metroid: Other M.

One of the great things about the Metroid series is that Samus was a coin flip character. Could've been male or female. A tough no-nonsense character, but one that wasn't bogged down in trying to rescue the princess or some maternal instincts or some other gender-related argument. But the coin, for one of the few times in video game history, landed on female.

And then they went and made Other M, where Samus became a huge emo wuss who was a walking gender stereotype.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

I like this project because, as someone who is a writer and working on a project with a female lead, it'll help me to avoid creating some of the same poo poo that plagues games and other works, even if it was unintentional. :shobon:

I'd give money but I have none and won't have any for like another week. :smith: Maybe she'll do like some of the other KS projects and open up future donations.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Tsurupettan posted:

I like this project because, as someone who is a writer and working on a project with a female lead, it'll help me to avoid creating some of the same poo poo that plagues games and other works, even if it was unintentional. :shobon:

I'd give money but I have none and won't have any for like another week. :smith: Maybe she'll do like some of the other KS projects and open up future donations.
You can also always donate to her site Feminist Frequency (which has some pretty eye-opening stuff on it).

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
:stare: That is some terrible standing point for the developer of the new Tomb Raider game to take.

I found that game interesting because seeing Lara Croft go from an average woman into the super-icon she has become as a strong female protagonist sounds like a really interesting route and having been put through severe situations like a sinking boat, a collapsing tomb, tribal people trying to kill her and trying to survive on a deserted island sounds like things she'd have to go through to get there, so I am willing to overlook the aspect people describe as "torture porn", because I feel that being vulnerable is a more honest character portrayal of a character still not a super-woman.

Rape or threat of rape is not cool. We're just not there.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Al! posted:

Tomb Raider reboot stuff
Wow, I was kind of suspicious of this when I first heard about it, but hearing the guy actually talk about it in those terms makes it even worse. The concept just immediately evokes that creeping sort of itch that the whole premise is just somehow off. Maybe people can't "project themselves into the character" because it's a BAD CHARACTER. "You just want to protect her?" So it's like a super-creepy, rape-infested, voyeuristic version of Ico? I really hope they take care and consult with people who are actually qualified to define the material that they've chosen, but I know they probably won't.

speng31b fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jun 12, 2012

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

octoroon posted:

Wow, I was kind of suspicious of this when I first heard about it, but hearing the guy actually talk about it in those terms makes it even worse. The concept just immediately evokes that creeping sort of itch that the whole premise is just somehow off. Maybe people can't "project themselves into the character" because it's a BAD CHARACTER. "You just want to protect her?" So it's like a super-creepy, rape-infested, voyeuristic version of Ico? I really hope they take care and consult with people who are actually qualified to define the material that they've chosen, but I know they probably won't.

It wasn't just people manufacturing outrage because they could smell a rat with that game from day one, just like it usually isn't when it comes to issues of race, gender, and sexuality. Despite how much people would love to stuff their fingers into their ears and blame the internet for making them question their own biases.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Yeah, well, until they get some designers who aren't giant manchildren they should probably stick to using rape as an invisible plot point explaining what happened to Lead Protagonist DarkCloak the Mutilator's family to make him into the sociopath you play as.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

quote:

"They're more like 'I want to protect her.' There's this sort of dynamic of 'I'm going to this adventure with her and trying to protect her.'"

You heard it here, folks. Old Lara Croft was there so you could stare at her rear end while she clambered around. New Lara Croft exists to be white knighted.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Utritum posted:

And SpaceVenture just made a sudden big jump forward, and has now landed on $503k.

Seems like another beloved adventure game franchise will make a comeback (in spirit at the very least)! :)

All we really need to do is drag Roberta Williams out of retirement and get her to design us the mother of all Kings Quest games. That poo poo would own (Especially since the series ended on such an awkward note with the lovely 3d one) , 2D point and click , all story and all awesome. It'd be the best.

e: Jesus christ wtf is going on with the bullshit feminsit frequency is copping. Ok thats it, she's getting my money, her case is proven beyond reasonable doubt simply by the sexist loving pig backlash.

duck monster fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jun 12, 2012

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

duck monster posted:

All we really need to do is drag Roberta Williams out of retirement and get her to design us the mother of all Kings Quest games. That poo poo would own (Especially since the series ended on such an awkward note with the lovely 3d one) , 2D point and click , all story and all awesome. It'd be the best.

Roberta Williams leaving the adventure game genre forever was the best thing to ever happen.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

duck monster posted:

Roberta Williams wouldn't dare make a game for "average people" now. She'd probably see it as slumming.

(The quote for context)

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

NINbuntu 64 posted:

Roberta Williams leaving the adventure game genre forever was the best thing to ever happen.

What are you talking about? Kings quest was awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

No, no it wasn't. At all.

Anyways she's been shown to be an elitist rich douche after the fact sooooooooooooooooo