Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

jonathan posted:

If you're competing for a seasons worth of points you shouldn't be forced to run DLC cars.

You should when it's the Beetle.

I about died laughing when we did one lap of stock Beetles on Iberian Mini Reverse last night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Don't knock the beetle man. A stock type 3 (which uses effectively the same engine) ran in the 24 hours of Lemons this weekend, and took 15th overall.

Sure it's not going to win any land speed records but there's something to be said about reliability. :v:

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

Cannot Find Server posted:

After much thinking, I think I have a rules package we can use for Le Mans.

The Hour of GoonMons

When: TBA (Tuesday? Wednesday? Maybe more than once?)
Where: Le Mans, ya big dummy.
What: Multi-Class R1 and R3
Cars allowed: Any GT2 or LMP1/LMP2/LMPC car used at Le Mans in the past three seasons.
Rules: One hour race length, Le Mans new circuit, collisions always on, damage cosmetic only, all assists off including braking line. PLEASE DO NOT POPE ANYBODY! (not a rule, just a suggestion)

The LMPCs don't run at Le Mans, though they are ACO homologated for the ALMS/LMS :viggo:

Edit: not that it'll matter to me, I'm in the wrong house and timezone this week.

Double Edit: is this news? From that hopper article:

http://forzamotorsport.net/en-us/Forza_LeMans_2012/?fwlhd=1 posted:

Drive the 2013 SRT Viper GTS – Available both in Forza Horizon, as well as in a soon-to-be-released free download for Forza fans, the 2013 SRT Viper is a car that must be driven to be believed. This American supercar will be playable by Le Mans attendees both in the Forza Horizon demo, as well as in Forza Motorsport 4

Xisticide fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jun 11, 2012

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The viper being free is news to me. That is awesome, I had a feeling it was either going to be free, or paid DLC with additional content.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Oh poo poo, when's the Horizon demo?!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The demo will probably only be available at certain events (E3, American Le Mans races, and Le Mans itself) and then put up on Xbox Live a few weeks before the game launches.

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
I wonder if it'll be the free car in the next pack, or just a stand alone release.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It'll be a stand alone release like the Hyundai pack was.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The Viper is not a SuperCar. I wish people would stop calling every rwd 2 door car quicker than a Miata a Super car.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

jonathan posted:

The Viper is not a SuperCar. I wish people would stop calling every rwd 2 door car quicker than a Miata a Super car.

This is going to be a lovely boring derail!

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Steve McScene posted:

Its important that we get the terminology correct for our fake computer cars.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

jonathan posted:

What do you call a V10 with 640 horse power then? It beats out the Ferrari Italia in power, and that's a super car.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

I said come in! posted:

What do you call a V10 with 640 horse power then? It beats out the Ferrari Italia in power, and that's a super car.

It's not because somethingawful internet poster "jonathan" said so and that should be good enough for us. :colbert:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Maker Of Shoes posted:

It's not because somethingawful internet poster "jonathan" said so and that should be good enough for us. :colbert:

No, clearly the new Viper is a mini-van for soccer moms.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

I said come in! posted:

No, clearly the new Viper is a mini-van for soccer moms.

Well the 2013 model does have electronic driving assists now.....

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Well the 2013 model does have electronic driving assists now.....

That settles it, it'll be my cheap go to car for when I want to go grocery shopping.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

Steve McScene posted:

Pretty much this.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

If the Viper wasn't a supercar, would it be able to do this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIvLjKSPiiQ

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

jonathan posted:

If you're competing for a seasons worth of points you shouldn't be forced to run DLC cars.

well, we do spec pintos and have a non-dlc equivalent car. I imagine the same could be done here.

Cannot Find Server posted:

After much thinking, I think I have a rules package we can use for Le Mans.

The Hour of GoonMons

When: TBA (Tuesday? Wednesday? Maybe more than once?)
Where: Le Mans, ya big dummy.
What: Multi-Class R1 and R3
Cars allowed: Any GT2 or LMP1/LMP2/LMPC car used at Le Mans in the past three seasons.
Rules: One hour race length, Le Mans new circuit, collisions always on, damage cosmetic only, all assists off including braking line. PLEASE DO NOT POPE ANYBODY! (not a rule, just a suggestion)

I mulled over R2 or R3 for the secondary class and decided R3 would be better. It's just a more fun class to drive I think, and I'm sure many would agree (though I prefer R1 to either of them). Of course, this poo poo isn't final, so if you can think of any changes, please let me know. Very open to ideas!

I've read a lot of people suggesting Tuesday, but I can't make that. But, I can make Wednesday and Thursday evening, and poo poo, if people want to do both of those I'm down. I'm so psyched for the 24 this weekend that I could race Le Mans all week and never tire of it, and I'm sure others are in the same boat. Hopefully we can all agree to one day and time in specific so we can get a full lobby going at least once, at any rate.

Going by the criteria listed above these are the eligible cars in the game (some are DLC)

GT cars
2009 BMW #92 Rahal Letterman Racing M3 GT2
2010 BMW #79 Jeff Koons BMW M3 GT2 Art Car
2011 Ferrari #62 Risi Competizione F458 Italia
2010 Ferrari 458 Italia (if tuning up street cars is allowed)
2011 Ferrari 458 Challenge (if tuning up street cars is allowed)
2006 Ferrari #62 Risi Competizione F430GT
2010 Ferrari #83 Risi Competizione F430GT
2010 Ferrari #89 Hankook Team Farnbacher F430GT
2008 Ferrari #90 Farnbacher Racing F430GT
2009 Ford #40 Robertson Racing Ford GT Mk7
2005 Ford Ford GT (if tuning up street cars is allowed)
2010 Jaguar #33 RSR XKR GT
2010 Lamborghini Murciélago LP 670-4 SV
2009 Lotus Evora (if tuning up street cars is allowed)
2011 Porsche #045 Flying Lizard 911 GT3-RSR
2011 Porsche #17 Team Falken 911 GT3-RSR
2010 Spyker C8 Laviolette LM85 (if tuning up street cars is allowed)

Prototype Cars
2011 Aston Martin #009 Aston Martin Racing AMR One
2008 Audi #2 Audi Sport North America RIO TDI
2011 Audi #4 Forza Motorsport RIO TDI
2011 Audi #2 Audi Sport Team Joest R15++ TDI
2011 Audi #2 Audi Sport North America R18 TDI
2009 Aston Martin #007 Aston Martin Lola
2011 Peugeot #10 Matmut-Oreca 908
2009 Peugeot #9 Peugeot Sport Total 908
2009 Audi #2 Audi Sport Team Joest R15 TDI
2011 Aston Martin #6 Muscle Milk Aston Martin Lola

Edit: removed the R2 cars

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jun 11, 2012

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
The R2 GT1 cars like the DBR9 and Corvette are not able to get down to R3. However, it is possible to do 3 classes, and seeing as GT1 was only recently cut out...

...This of course means that you'd have 3 small groups competing for a long time. To say the least they would be spread out.

Also, I don't think street cars upgraded to R3 are really applicable. I would just use the pre existing GT class R3 cars such as the Ferrari F430s and 458, Porsche 911 GT3 RSRs, Corvette GT (the one added in DLC) and the Lamborghini Gallardo GT car.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Deeters posted:

If the Viper wasn't a supercar, would it be able to do this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIvLjKSPiiQ

It is a tragedy that they did not include the incar / bumpercam of this.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Falken posted:

Also, I don't think street cars upgraded to R3 are really applicable. I would just use the pre existing GT class R3 cars such as the Ferrari F430s and 458, Porsche 911 GT3 RSRs, Corvette GT (the one added in DLC) and the Lamborghini Gallardo GT car.

Yeah the only ones that don't have equivalents are the Spyker and the Evora.

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
There's also the DLC Panoz Abruzzi for GT2.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Xisticide posted:

There's also the DLC Panoz Abruzzi for GT2.

I based the list on cars that participated in the last 3 years. Did I miss that one?

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

GutBomb posted:

I based the list on cars that participated in the last 3 years. Did I miss that one?

No it never ran Le Mans, but neither did the Lambo and is the "Spirit of Le Mans"

Edit: wait I may have my Lamborghinis mixed up, sorry

Xisticide fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jun 12, 2012

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Falken posted:

The R2 GT1 cars like the DBR9 and Corvette are not able to get down to R3. However, it is possible to do 3 classes, and seeing as GT1 was only recently cut out...

...This of course means that you'd have 3 small groups competing for a long time. To say the least they would be spread out.

Yeah, I thought about doing LMP1, LMP2, GT1 and GT2, but it's be boring and too
spread out. Two classes of 8 guys sounds like a better time. I also initially thought about R2 instead of R3 so we could have people drive the GT2 and GT1 cars in R2, but I don't think people would be down for that (maybe I'm wrong?).

silverbullitt850
Mar 6, 2012

Hey you guys like to troll? I've got some pretty sick trolling skills. Just don't expect me to read anything.

-Colon Cowboy
Hi, everybody!

Season 4 of GoonSpec here... Just checking in.

I have to find my password to edit the site again, but until then get your up through 1960 cars ready for this Wednesday at Spa-Fr...oh dammit. How about at the Mille-Miglia, better known as Camino Viejo Extreme.

That is,

PI: E275
Year: -1960
Tires: Stock compound
Induction: Stock

Must maintain stock engine and layout.

See you tonight, if you want. I'm on now.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I said come in! posted:

So does the Vette zr1, as well as many CAT c16 equipped Semi trucks. But I would lump the Viper in as a Sportscar with the Vette, partly because its not a max effort showcase of technology and style like a Supercar is.

Lightglobe
Oct 15, 2005
I'd be up for some Le Mans racing. Just careful about putting on a Wednesday night since both AUGR and GTCC do their spec races on a Wednesday night. I would suggest either Tuesday or Thursday. Or both. Who cares, LE MANS!

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

...and the angel did say, "go forth, and lay waste to all who oppose you"

jonathan posted:

So does the Vette zr1, as well as many CAT c16 equipped Semi trucks. But I would lump the Viper in as a Sportscar with the Vette, partly because its not a max effort showcase of technology and style like a Supercar is.

Tell that to TVR.

crazkylo
Dec 20, 2008

Set the world aflame!
So last night a couple of friends and I did a few private online matches. I told the one hosting about being able to effect the grip of the tires on the track, So he turned it all the way down on one of the speedway tracks. The result was us pretty much us doing laps around an ice skating rink, in S class cars.

He then turned the grip back to normal and set the class to F for a point to point uphill on Fujimi Kaido. As soon as the race started, no one really took off. Apparently there is another option that effects the power of your vehicles, and this was all the way down. The result was us getting up to about 11MPH before the first hill, getting halfway up it and then slowing to a stop and sliding backwards. We then held the break and revved our engines up, then released the break to "pop" ourselves up the hill.
It turned into 35 minutes of us slowly moving ourselves along the track.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

We've done that sort of thing before in hobbled "G-class" cars (sub-100 PI), and I discovered that you're better off "popping" your car in reverse. The gear ratio is typically higher than first, which helps. :)

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

jonathan posted:

Can we just agree that the line is blurry as hell and "supercar" is not really a well-defined term? Pretty much every performance car in the $80-140k range these days could be called a supercar by someone's definition.

Hell, think back to the early '00s, just ten years ago. If I told you of a car with over 650 HP capable of doing 0-60 in 3.5, able to exceed 200 MPH, and that pulled 1G on the skidpad, you'd be thinking about $200k+ European exotics and would have no doubt that whatever it was qualified as a supercar. Today though, that's a $63k Mustang which no one would even consider applying that term to.

In the end who the hell cares? Fast car go vroom vroom and such, particularly when it's a game where anyone can have pretty much any car they want.

crazkylo
Dec 20, 2008

Set the world aflame!

LiquidRain posted:

We've done that sort of thing before in hobbled "G-class" cars (sub-100 PI), and I discovered that you're better off "popping" your car in reverse. The gear ratio is typically higher than first, which helps. :)

I was driving a peugeot 107, another person was in a Datsun 510, and my friend in the old beetle. I tried "popping" in reverse but felt I was not going as far as when I was forwards. However the old beetle steamrolled us when it came to popping up the hills for some reason.

TannhauserGate
Nov 25, 2007

by garbage day

crazkylo posted:

I was driving a peugeot 107, another person was in a Datsun 510, and my friend in the old beetle. I tried "popping" in reverse but felt I was not going as far as when I was forwards. However the old beetle steamrolled us when it came to popping up the hills for some reason.

Rear engine sitting over the drive tires. An FF should get similar results going backwards. An FR going uphill backwards is possibly the worst setup in the game.

wolrah posted:

Can we just agree that the line is blurry as hell and "supercar" is not really a well-defined term? Pretty much every performance car in the $80-140k range these days could be called a supercar by someone's definition.

Hell, think back to the early '00s, just ten years ago. If I told you of a car with over 650 HP capable of doing 0-60 in 3.5, able to exceed 200 MPH, and that pulled 1G on the skidpad, you'd be thinking about $200k+ European exotics and would have no doubt that whatever it was qualified as a supercar. Today though, that's a $63k Mustang which no one would even consider applying that term to.

In the end who the hell cares? Fast car go vroom vroom and such, particularly when it's a game where anyone can have pretty much any car they want.

Hate to chime in here, but I think the no-joke effect of Top Gear has played a bigger role in this development than many will admit. It used to be that supercars were known based on name alone, the McLaren was a McLaren, and if you wanted any more details than that you needed to buddy up to the nasally guy (older times) or the grammar-incapable guy running the car forum (newer times). Now there's a popular resource that enables even the dumbest new money to consider that the McLaren F1 may be too twitchy for them, and that they would be better off with a super saloon since that would have at least have a boot in which to place things. Plus the global economy bla bla bankers bla Veyrons like tic-tacs.

I think we're in an era where we can embrace the "hypercar" moniker for cars that function beyond all human need (Veyron), while Supercars are everything that goes beyond sporty. A Miata is sporty. A 640hp Viper, unless it handles like complete rear end and wastes the first 400 of that hp, is super.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

TannhauserGate posted:

A 640hp Viper, unless it handles like complete rear end and wastes the first 400 of that hp, is super.

There's a Viper that doesn't handle like rear end? :monocle:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ether Frenzy posted:

Vipers apparently have gotten a lot better with handling. Not that I would know personally, there's no way in hell i'll ever get the chance to even sit in one.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Ether Frenzy posted:

Having driven a 3rd gen they are loving scary. It's not that they are ill handling, it just a lot of effort to keep it planted without all the electic nannies keeping watch. Build quality was pretty poor though.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Is there a cheesy way to earn a bunch of credits? Or is it just grinding for forever to get enough to get the old Ferraris.

It seems kinda dumb to have a car cost 9 million credits when winning a race gets you like, 30k or something...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samswing
Jan 8, 2009

:dukedog:

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Is there a cheesy way to earn a bunch of credits? Or is it just grinding for forever to get enough to get the old Ferraris.

It seems kinda dumb to have a car cost 9 million credits when winning a race gets you like, 30k or something...

Do rivals. Or cheese rivals as I should say. Find one you like and set a time. Then very slowly increase that time by as little an increment as you can stand. You'll be able to cash in pretty good up until you hit your threshold.

Rinse and repeat.

• Locked thread