Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheGoatFeeder
Mar 16, 2005

"One Zaba, Two Zaba, Three Zabaleta, Four Zaba, Five Zaba, Six Zabaleta, Seven Zaba, Eight Zaba, Nine Zabaleta, Heeeeeeeeeey Zabaleta"

Mickolution posted:

UPC. They're a bit cheaper, but Sky's a much better service, I reckon. Can't put a dish up in my apartment block, unfortunately. Their internet's far and away the best deal in the country though, though it's not available everywhere.

Are you sure you're paying extra for ESPN? It's free with Sky here. Or maybe it's just if you're a Sky Sports subscriber.

I definitely am yeah. I'm not sure if it comes bundled with sky sports on other services, but on sky, I have to pay for their sports channels and then extra again for ESPN, its pretty poo poo really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
ESPN is only free for Irish subscribers

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

ESPN is only free for Irish subscribers

Ahh ok, thought it would be in the UK too.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

In what can only be described as a "Brave" interpretation of European employment law, Rangers insist that players will be forced to join their new club.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18417120

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Would that mean the new club have to pay them the same wages?

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
As covered in the SPL thread, Green is talking absolute shite in order to pre-emptively pacify the support. The newco is obliged to offer the players exactly the same contracts they had at the oldco (pre-administration), but the players are not duty bound to accept the contract at the newco. They can, if they wish, refuse the transfer and effectively become free agents.

TUPE exists, realistically, in order to protect workers' interests in the case of a takeover, it's not a mechanism or vehicle to protect employers. Green is suggesting that all players will be contracted to the newco and must stay there. And that simply isn't true - if the player reject the transfer, it's treated as if he terminated/resigned his contract at the oldco, he isn't in breach of contract with the oldco because it doesn't exist, and he can't breach any contract with a newco because he's never, legally speaking, entered one.
In normal, every day situations, it actually benefits the worker just to accept terms with the company they're being transferred to, as the other options are usually limited to unemployment (without redundancy). In terms of footballers, free agency and an escape from a toxic environment probably outweighs the contracts.

And the PFA in Scotland have just outlined this - http://pfascotland.co.uk/2012/news/pfa-scotland-explains-tupe-position/

Green is a charlatan. He is no better than those who have preceded him, and quite frankly may ensure no one follows him.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

The Clit Avoider posted:

As covered in the SPL thread, Green is talking absolute shite in order to pre-emptively pacify the support. The newco is obliged to offer the players exactly the same contracts they had at the oldco (pre-administration), but the players are not duty bound to accept the contract at the newco. They can, if they wish, refuse the transfer and effectively become free agents.

That was my understanding too, the point is what you said, it's a device to protect normal people working for normal companies.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

GravityDaemon posted:

Al Jazeera landed the English rights to Serie A and La Liga, at least in America.
The fun part about that is that, if I remember correctly, Al Jazeera has yet to negotiate and deals with the major cable carriers, DirecTV, or Dish to carry their new sports network that would be carrying games from Serie A or La Liga. And reportedly all the would-be carriers are really skittish about having a third football-heavy channel.

It's as if Al Jazeera didn't just put the cart before the horse, they don't even have a pony let alone a horse.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Crazy Ted posted:

The fun part about that is that, if I remember correctly, Al Jazeera has yet to negotiate and deals with the major cable carriers, DirecTV, or Dish to carry their new sports network that would be carrying games from Serie A or La Liga. And reportedly all the would-be carriers are really skittish about having a third football-heavy channel.

It's as if Al Jazeera didn't just put the cart before the horse, they don't even have a pony let alone a horse.

Yeah the Al Jazeera stuff is going to set soccer on TV in the states back 10 years. No carriers, buying up tons of rights for insane amounts of money, and it seems as if they are operating under the assumption that holding these rights will have networks banging their door down to carry their network, and so far, that's not panning out. And they aren't going to make any of their money back by sublicensing the games out to other networks because no one is going to pay anything near enough.

So basically they hold the rights hostage and the fans suffer. Next season is only going to be the start (La Liga and Serie A). Some industry insiders believe they are going to be bidding huge amounts of money on the 2013-2016 English Premier League rights next. They certainly have the means to outbid anything ESPN and Fox can muster.

Even if they do get on the major carriers you can bet money that it will only be available in standard definition on most of the providers that just don't have capacity for adding more HD (pretty much all of the terrestrial cable providers like Comcast or Verizon)

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

GutBomb posted:

So basically they hold the rights hostage and the fans suffer.

Can't they afford to try the Chinese model and have the rights go cheap and just eat the losses for a while?

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

Fat Guy Sexting posted:

Can't they afford to try the Chinese model and have the rights go cheap and just eat the losses for a while?

Yeah I don't think Al Jazeera needs to make any money from these rights.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

GutBomb posted:

don't have capacity for adding more HD (pretty much all of the terrestrial cable providers like Comcast or Verizon)

They would if they stopped broadcasting in MPEG2 the fuckin Luddites.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

GutBomb posted:

Yeah the Al Jazeera stuff is going to set soccer on TV in the states back 10 years. No carriers, buying up tons of rights for insane amounts of money, and it seems as if they are operating under the assumption that holding these rights will have networks banging their door down to carry their network, and so far, that's not panning out. And they aren't going to make any of their money back by sublicensing the games out to other networks because no one is going to pay anything near enough.

So basically they hold the rights hostage and the fans suffer. Next season is only going to be the start (La Liga and Serie A). Some industry insiders believe they are going to be bidding huge amounts of money on the 2013-2016 English Premier League rights next. They certainly have the means to outbid anything ESPN and Fox can muster.

Even if they do get on the major carriers you can bet money that it will only be available in standard definition on most of the providers that just don't have capacity for adding more HD (pretty much all of the terrestrial cable providers like Comcast or Verizon)

That's a pity, al-Jazeera english is a freeview channel in the UK. It's also available free to stream online, but I'm not sure you can get that in HD.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

DickEmery posted:

But they certainly aren't buying them to give them away. My bet is that if the premier league rights do indeed go to them that the return of pay per view soccer in the united states will be in full effect.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Is there any reason Sky don't sell individual streams for a couple of quid for each match? Sky go can already be used by anyone with a username and password and it seems an easy way for them to get more money in from people without Sky Sports

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

GutBomb posted:

But they certainly aren't buying them to give them away. My bet is that if the premier league rights do indeed go to them that the return of pay per view soccer in the united states will be in full effect.

I can't see Fox outbidding Al Jazeera for US BPL rights; I doubt they have the financial muscle. We only watch soccer on the TV in our house - we stream all other media - so we'll probably be killing our cable television account and streaming soccer, too. Some of the HD feeds aren't too shabby.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Scott Bakula posted:

Is there any reason Sky don't sell individual streams for a couple of quid for each match? Sky go can already be used by anyone with a username and password and it seems an easy way for them to get more money in from people without Sky Sports

They do that they can say goodbye to ever selling a pub license ever again.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Scott Bakula posted:

It probably works out better for them to charge £25 per month or whatever it is than allowing people to pick and choose what matches they want. There would be people who would only get the streams when their team is playing or a few mates chipping in £1 each or so and watching it together.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

DickEmery posted:

But they're trying to. One of the hardball tactics they're trying with American cable and satellite carriers is that they want their new sports channel to be carried in the basic cable tier alongside ESPN instead of further up the dial in the specialized sports area with channels like NBC Sports, GOL TV, and Fox Soccer Channel.

If you know anything whatsoever about ESPN, its level of programming, and its clout in the cable industry, you will be laughing your rear end off by the time you finish reading this post.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

But they're trying to. One of the hardball tactics they're trying with American cable and satellite carriers is that they want their new sports channel to be carried in the basic cable tier alongside ESPN instead of further up the dial in the specialized sports area with channels like NBC Sports, GOL TV, and Fox Soccer Channel.

If you know anything whatsoever about ESPN, its level of programming, and its clout in the cable industry, you will be laughing your rear end off by the time you finish reading this post.

Al Jazeera could buy out Disney twice over and dump them again they'll probably get away with it.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Fat Guy Sexting posted:

Al Jazeera could buy out Disney twice over and dump them again they'll probably get away with it.
But they're arguing with cable providers that the fact that they will be showing live football games from La Liga and Seria A means they should be put right next to ESPN.

Unless they do something crazy like ask for zero money per subscriber in fees it's not going to happen.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Crazy Ted posted:

But they're arguing with cable providers that the fact that they will be showing live football games from La Liga and Seria A means they should be put right next to ESPN.

Unless they do something crazy like ask for zero money per subscriber in fees it's not going to happen.

They literally could, that's the point. It's Al Jazeera. It's all one giant PR exercise.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Al Jazeera is a poisoned brand name in the US, will their network carry that moniker?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Crazy Ted posted:

Their news broadcasting is pretty good quality so hopefully their sports will be as well, and they will be showing some of the best football in the world.

You're right though, I doubt that it'll work for them. Being called Al-Jazeera is a pretty big handicap for a sports channel.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

please respond posted:

Al Jazeera is a poisoned brand name in the US, will their network carry that moniker?

They're going to be called be-IN1 and be-IN2 I think

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
They should just stream their. Hannels free and have ipad/phone apps with no restrictions and build market share that way

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

please respond posted:

They should just stream their. Hannels free and have ipad/phone apps with no restrictions and build market share that way

Hmm yes let's get our customer base used to getting something for free. They will certainly be eager to pay for it later.

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

please respond posted:

Freedom Soccer

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Bobby Digital posted:

Hmm yes let's get our customer base used to getting something for free. They will certainly be eager to pay for it later.

The customer base won't be paying for it later. Cable and Satellite providers will. I suppose the customer base might technically be paying a few cents for it once it's added to packages, but that's not really a big deal.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Crazy Ted posted:

8 dollars, isn't it?

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

please respond posted:

I would love if they did this since it would be one giant gently caress you to the cable giants in this country but it would never happen.

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten

Akileese posted:

I would love if they did this since it would be one giant gently caress you to the cable giants in this country but it would never happen.

AJE already streams live in HD from Doha, it's not totally out of the realm of possibility. Besides, AJE basically runs one commercial in its breaks that are maybe every twelve minutes. A really nice change for a news channel.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Scott Bakula posted:

They did do it for a while.

Of course by a couple of quid you do of course mean £14.99.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Yeah, the one off games were very expensive, but the season ticket was decent value. I guess that's what they wanted people to buy. It was the lower profile games though, which was the package sold to Setanta and then one of the ones ESPN got. I think Scott Bakula meant every game they show.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

I would pay 20 dollars a month for just the CBC, Al-Jazeera, and Al-Jazeera Sports. I would never watch anything else anyways.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/jun/23/rangers-scottish-premier-league

quote:

Any Rangers player who tries to force a move away from the 'newco' club could face legal action, chief executive Charles Green has warned. Green, the leader of the consortium that recently bought the business and assets of the club for £5.5m, is due to meet PFA Scotland representatives on Monday and said the transfer of player contracts to newco Rangers had already taken place.

Midfielder Rhys McCabe has reportedly lodged an official objection to the transfer of his contract and forward Sone Aluko is also reported to be unhappy to play for the new setup. Green said: "We are meeting the PFA Scotland and their legal advisers with a view to allaying players' concerns about the transfer of contracts, so the timing of these announcements by players is hard to understand. The transfer of contracts has already happened and the club's clear legal advice is that the players' purported objection is ineffective. Rangers would like to make it abundantly clear to players, agents and the chairmen and managers of other football clubs that we will take whatever steps necessary to challenge what we regard as a breach of contract to protect the interests of our club."

Rangers were forced into administration over an unpaid tax bill in February and failure to secure a Company Voluntary Arrangement to exit administration consigned the club to liquidation last week. The new regime face a battle to get newco Rangers granted entry into the Scottish Premier League and face a vote by all 12 top-flight clubs on 4 July, with Hearts and Dundee United already indicating they will reject Rangers' bid.

Rangers manager Ally McCoist, in a statement jointly released with Green, said: "It has been reported that a couple of players have indicated they want to challenge the transfer of their contracts. This is news to me and no player has spoken to me about it. At all times during my first year as manager I strived to show players respect and, in return, would have hoped they would have shown me, and more importantly the club, respect by notifying us of their intentions before making it known elsewhere.

"Players have their decisions to make, and I understand that, but the question they have to ask is do they want to play for Rangers? The formation of a new company is not the issue. The players would be playing for the same club in front of the same fans."

McCoist feels that players need to make their intentions known publicly and has been critical of agents looking to get a move for their clients. "I don't want Rangers fans to be reading over the next few days how devastated players are about having to go. The fans deserve better than that. They are not daft.

"I can understand if a player has the chance to go somewhere else and there is uncertainty about which division we will be playing in. But they should not expect sympathy from supporters if they use the transfer of contracts as an excuse. I already know there are agents touting my players all over the United Kingdom, so let's be brutally honest. We are in a difficult situation and the contracts issue has given some players and agents the belief they can use it to leave the club. The players were magnificent last season and made great sacrifices and that will never be forgotten. Now, we have to look forward and everyone should be honest about their intentions."

This is getting all kinds of fun.

MattWPBS
Jun 17, 2004
I am the law, but an easily bribed kind of law.

Unless Charles Green knows something a lot of people don't, he really doesn't understand TUPE.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

MattWPBS posted:

Unless Charles Green knows something a lot of people don't, he really doesn't understand TUPE.

Given that it explicitly states that employees can break transferred contracts at will, chances are he has never even come close to reading it.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004
I'm assuming they're thinking "we've got gently caress all to lose and can take a couple of seasons out of your career tying you up in court, so sue us"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

DickEmery posted:

I'm assuming they're thinking "we've got gently caress all to lose and can take a couple of seasons out of your career tying you up in court, so sue us"

There's no reason for the players to even show up in court. The contract is gone, all Green has is the requirement to offer them it again. If he doesn't understand that, it's his problem. No-one would contest immediate transfer of registration and new contracts at a new club, wherever they pleased.

Besides, the last time a Scottish club sued a player over terminating his contract it didn't go very well for them.

• Locked thread