Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I did some digging and found an absolute goldmine.

http://ssbra.org/html/laws/IFABarc/pdf/

Now, there's generally some wonderful stuff in here, if you're into that sort of thing. I particularly recommend the period between 1978 and 1994, which is when three of the most important changes ever were being kicked about, often at some length (rebalancing offside properly, professional foul, backpass law). There's one idea from the FA that particularly catches my eye - for a while they were trying to kill the offside trap stone dead by submitting a change that made it only an offence to intentionally be in an offside position, and therefore if the defenders made any move intended to play an attacker offside, he couldn't be offside. What a fascinating idea! How different would football look now if they'd gone down that road, instead of widening the range of situations in which a player could be in an offside position without being given offside?

But what I've got is the 1997 minutes; this was the year of the Great Rewrite. Instead of the usual format of "here is what was proposed, here is what we did", the minutes that year contain an entire copy of the 1996 LOAF (in Ye Olde Style), followed by an entire copy of the 1997 LOAF (in terms of wording and style, virtually identical to today).

http://ssbra.org/html/laws/IFABarc/pdf/1997/1997min.pdf

The answer to the question is that there used to be a clause governing kicky restarts which said something like "unless the taker touches the ball twice, if there is any infringement of this law then the kick shall be retaken", and that included the ball not travelling the distance of its circumference. Compare to what still happens if a direct free-kick or goal-kick never leaves the defenders' penalty area.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jun 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam
The time is once again upon us!

1) Corner kick. Caution the defender if the trip warranted it, but otherwise the advantage did in fact materialize with the shot on goal, the fact that they didn't score makes no difference.

2) Not happening

3) Take the cigarette, light it, and then put it out in his eye. Then caution him.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

1. Go back to the penalty. Red card to defender, drop ball in line with where the offence occurred.
2. poo poo yeah! I'm using it every game!
3. Share a smoke.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jun 8, 2012

kalthir
Mar 15, 2012

Vagabundo posted:

1. Go back to the penalty. Red card to defender, penalty goal or free kick, depending on where the offence occurred.

It happened off the pitch when the attacker didn't have the ball, though.

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Sic transit gloria. Maybe we'll meet again someday, when the fighting stops.
Refer the incident to the police then.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)
1. Corner, yellow to defender.
2. Tell him to gently caress off, I'm probably going to gently caress up using it. Listen better.
3. Take the cig, light it up, say thanks, give him a yellow. Enjoy your break in the parks league.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
1) Corner. You allowed the advantage. Caution if it warrants it.

2) Play to the horn lads! No not really, say 'where the gently caress did you get that horn?' and then punch him in the face.

3) Punch him in the face. I've got a feeling it might be cautionable (bringing the game into disrepute or something?) so do that.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Mr Spock thinks that the request for him to get the horn is highly illogical.

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.

Lamont Cranston posted:

1)Corner
2)Reject the offer and punch him.
3)Take a light and blow smoke in his face and then give him a head spot with the cig and punch him. Also a yellow for promoting bad health and bad sportsmanship.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Lamont Cranston posted:

1: Deliberate clattering from behind = red card for the defender and PK/FK as appropriate. Note in match report.

2: Not happening. Tell the players to play to the whistle and suck it up.

1: Yellow card for unsportsmanlike conduct (bringing the game into disrepute). Note in match report.

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

1. Once the ball is dead, send off the attacker who should know better. Restart as appropriate.
2. Fish the second whistle out of your gear bag. Seriously, I would accuse any referee without at least a second different-sounding whistle of incompetence. That's right up there with not having a second watch.
3. No smoking on the pitch because really? Really? Tell him to get rid of it, caution him if he doesn't.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
1) You played the advantage, so you can't give the penalty. When the ball is out of play, show the defender the red card he deserves for being a oval office like that and restart with the corner. If you're super lucky, you haven't made any indication you're actually playing the advantage and could go back to the penalty - then only one time would be pissed at you.

2) Tell him to gently caress off and that he should rather worry about his players not being focused on their own game when they get distracted like that.

3) Make a statement, take the cigarette and break it. Smoking is bad, kids! Then caution him for unsporting behaviour or whatever "unproper" goal celebration is officially filed under these days.

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

quote:

1) There is no question of taking play back to the original foul: you rightly played the advantage, a goal was not scored and so you should restart with a corner kick. Also, caution the defender if you deemed his challenge reckless, or send him off if you decided he used excessive force. Dave Brooker wins the shirt.
2) I can see the manager's point, but the Laws require a whistle to be used, so you have to reject his offers. My advice is that all referees should carry two whistles of varying tones to avoid this sort of problem. I faced this situation several times in my refereeing career, so I always carried two different makes of whistle – an Acme Thunderer, which had a deep throaty sound, and my favourite Italian Balilla, which was high pitched. Thanks to Johannah Carroll.
3) Show him a yellow card and ask him to leave the field of play to dispose of the cigarettes and the lighter – they are not part of his approved equipment. He can only come back on during a stoppage in the game after you have checked him over. Thanks to Bob Horne.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Arsenal used to do the corner routine from no. 3 quite regularly a few seasons ago until the linesmen started flagging the corner taker (Van Persie) offside each time.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

1. Confirm with your assistant that he saw the guy in a place where the keeper's view could have been blocked. If he was, call back the goal for that guy being offside.

2. Check that the gloves are safe, which considering it's only during penalties it would be. If it was during the normal game, I'd say it's unsafe because he might punch someone in the head much easier and harder than without.

3. Do nothing and hope they score. The player that received the ball was not in an offside position when the ball was kicked, because you can't be offside on a corner, so he's not now. The other players if the image is correct aren't offside either, since the ball is past the defenders (except for the corner taker).

e:

Quanta posted:

Arsenal used to do the corner routine from no. 3 quite regularly a few seasons ago until the linesmen started flagging the corner taker (Van Persie) offside each time.

But that would only matter if the corner taker is then involved in play. If the guy with the ball kicks it into the box, it really doesn't matter.

foobardog fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jun 15, 2012

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Van Persie crossed it into the box after the ball was teed, but he was still flagged offside. Arsenal stopped using that tactic afterwards.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

foobardog posted:

3. Do nothing and hope they score. The player that received the ball was not in an offside position when the ball was kicked, because you can't be offside on a corner, so he's not now. The other players if the image is correct aren't offside either, since the ball is past the defenders (except for the corner taker).
It means player 1 passes the ball to player 2, player 2 puts his foot on the ball and stops it, player 1 then runs onto the now still ball and whips a cross in. Player 1 is then offside due to the second pass since stopping the ball is still kind of passing.

Quanta posted:

Van Persie crossed it into the box after the ball was teed, but he was still flagged offside. Arsenal stopped using that tactic afterwards.
Why didn't they just have the guy in the player 2 role just slow the ball down a lot? Surely then it would technically be a pass backwards so RVP couldn't be offside and the entire thing is basically identical?

1) If he is impeding the vision of the keeper then it's offside.
2) Surely this can't be allowed as regulation kit? Make him change it, try not to get punched in the face in the process.
3) Offside. I'm pretty sure a pass has to be backwards not level to get around this rule.

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

1) Was he, in your opinion, interfering with the goalkeeper by being in his line of sight (it certainly looks possible from the drawing)? Then blow for offside. Otherwise it's a good goal.

2) He is correct that the Laws don't specify a size for the keeper's gloves. However I would take a dim view of their safety and insist that the wear the gloves he began the match with.

3) He is offside. The rule depends on when the ball is touched or played by his teammate, so it doesn't matter if he simply "tees it up".

Lamont Cranston fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jun 15, 2012

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
For the second one, I know there's no rule about the size of gloves, so it should be ok on that front. Only thing I can think of is maybe they should have been inspected before kick-off? Probably ok though.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
1) If the liner thinks he's offside and you think he might have unsighted the 'keeper, he's interfering with play. No goal. Punch the 'keeper in the face for whining.

2) I really have no idea. Tell him to take the gloves off, then Punch Him In The Face.

3) The corner taker is offside. Punch the defenders in the face for whining.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

Redundant posted:

It means player 1 passes the ball to player 2, player 2 puts his foot on the ball and stops it, player 1 then runs onto the now still ball and whips a cross in. Player 1 is then offside due to the second pass since stopping the ball is still kind of passing.

Ah, I misunderstood that. Yeah, that's definitely offside.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
1)Yeah, assistant's flag is up, so he reckons it's impeding. Offside.

2)Feels like unsporting behaviour to me

3)Offside. Can't be offside from a corner, but the corner's been taken and it's the corner-taker who's not passing the ball, in play.

or is it still offside if the pass comes from behind the last man? I honestly can't remember. The ball and the player who kicked it are all behind the defenders, is that offside? It can't be, surely. I'm confusing myself now.

[edit]oh right, right, the offside appeal is for the second player stopping the ball, before the defenders ran in front of them, not for the cross after they'd all rushed forward and played them onside. Yeah, offside.

Hoops fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jun 15, 2012

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Trying to stop shots with boxing gloves is a really stupid idea, so I say let him go for it.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

For (1) I'd say adjudge the offending player as offside. But what if the assistant ref hadn't raised his flag (because he was unsure, blind, whatever) and you had already awarded the goal? Would any refs really change their decision after a player complains?

For (2) there is surprisingly no guideline about the type or size of goalkeeper gloves, so I imagine that's legal. What's illegal though? What if you wear enormous gloves over your entire arm? Could you legally gain an advantage by wearing an extremely huge pair of gloves?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Vegetable posted:

For (1) I'd say adjudge the offending player as offside. But what if the assistant ref hadn't raised his flag (because he was unsure, blind, whatever) and you had already awarded the goal? Would any refs really change their decision after a player complains?

For (2) there is surprisingly no guideline about the type or size of goalkeeper gloves, so I imagine that's legal. What's illegal though? What if you wear enormous gloves over your entire arm? Could you legally gain an advantage by wearing an extremely huge pair of gloves?

There was a YATR about the keeper using comically large gloves in a penalty shootout, but I'm on my phone so I can't easily find it. It might answer your question though.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
For 3, doesn't the ball have to be played forward for it to be offside? A sidewards ball is always onside I thought, and stopping the ball is "sidewards" at best.

SpaceGirlArt
Mar 29, 2008

Masonity posted:

For 3, doesn't the ball have to be played forward for it to be offside? A sidewards ball is always onside I thought, and stopping the ball is "sidewards" at best.

That's right. You are never offside so long as you are behind the ball.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

SpaceGirlArt posted:

That's right. You are never offside so long as you are behind the ball.

Yeah that's true, but the corner taker isn't behind the ball. The question is whether the act of stopping the ball constitutes a forward pass. It sounds like it shouldn't, but I think it does.

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

pik_d posted:

There was a YATR about the keeper using comically large gloves in a penalty shootout, but I'm on my phone so I can't easily find it. It might answer your question though.

They were a-ok in that one; although if I'm remembering right it was for the whole game (if it makes a difference).

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Yeah that's true, but the corner taker isn't behind the ball. The question is whether the act of stopping the ball constitutes a forward pass. It sounds like it shouldn't, but I think it does.

You're correct, the criteria for offside is that "at the moment the ball touches or is played by one of his team" the offside player is active in play. Doesn't matter which way you pass it; in fact I'm fairly certain that if player 2 had put it backward well into onside territory and the corner taker had run backwards from his offside position to cross it in, he would still be offside because it is judged by where you are when the ball is touched by your teammate, not where you are when you play it (who wants to submit that one?).

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Mickolution posted:

For the second one, I know there's no rule about the size of gloves, so it should be ok on that front. Only thing I can think of is maybe they should have been inspected before kick-off? Probably ok though.

I'm gonna make 3ft x 3ft gloves with netting

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.

1)Offsides since my assistant says so.
2)Get some boxing gloves of my own punch him in the face and make him to wear the one he wore in the game.
3)Offsides like what others has posted.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

1. Offside, tell keeper to gently caress off with that tone.
2. Tell the keeper to gently caress off, note in match report.
3. Offside

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

1: Uh. The offside player interfered with play (by virtue of blocking the keeper's vision). Call it offside and give your linesman a gold star.

2: He's a muppet. Stay out of punching range but order him to take them off.

3: Ball is in play and there's only one defender between them and the goal => offside. If, on the other hand, the corner taker moved to behind the line of the ball before it was played back to him, then he's onside.

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

Keith Hackett posted:

1) Award the goal. Your assistant flagged to indicate the player was in an offside position – but from where you are standing you cannot be certain that the player was, as the Law defines it, "clearly obstructing" the keeper's line of vision. You could only be certain of that if you happened to be directly in line with the ball, the offside player and the keeper. But in any case, this was a long-range shot, giving the keeper a wide angle. He was beaten by the flight of the ball. Thanks to Roger Mulberry.
2) The keeper is right: there is nothing in the Laws with regards goalkeeper's gloves. Your only concern is whether the keeper is using "equipment that is dangerous to himself or to another player" – and in my view, these cumbersome gloves do put the keeper at risk of injuring himself. Delay the penalties until he puts on his original gloves or plays without them. Gareth Wallis wins the shirt.
3) Yes. The corner-taker was in an offside position when the team-mate stopped the ball, and became active when he crossed it. Restart with an indirect free-kick from near the corner flagpost. Thanks to Gareth Banton.

The first one surprised me but I guess it's an instance where you really have to pay attention to the drawing and where "you" are positioned? I'm also skeptical of the claim that simply because it was a long shot the offside player is excused of screening the keeper.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I do enjoy it when he comes up with some hilariously tortuous logic to troll people with.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

How would wearing boxing gloves injure the keeper?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Mickolution posted:

When the opposing team kick the poo poo out of him for knocking one of their players out when trying to punch the ball away from a corner.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

pik_d posted:

When the opposing team kick the poo poo out of him for knocking one of their players out when trying to punch the ball away from a corner.

During a penalty shootout? Anyway, wouldn't boxing gloves soften the blow in that instance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Mickolution posted:

I guess they limit the possible range of motion so could increase the risk of landing awkwardly. They're heavier too so reactions would be slower and he might take a shot right to the face... that would be devastating.

• Locked thread