Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Yup freckles. Also she has a belly that looks like a pig w/ dark splotches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrKrankenwagen
Mar 21, 2005

I just rescued a dog from a shelter in Florida. I can def. see the lab in her, but they have her listed as just a mut. Any ideas? I should have her up here in NJ in two weeks.

I'll post less depressing pictures when I get her, I promise! (This pic was taken when they told her the found her a home, daww.)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DrKrankenwagen fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jun 15, 2012

Ishkibibble_Fish
Feb 14, 2008

BananaHam:
1 part treefruit
1 part mud ungulate

She looks like a Labby pit mix to me. :3: Can't wait for more photos.

DrKrankenwagen
Mar 21, 2005

Ishkibibble_Fish posted:

She looks like a Labby pit mix to me. :3: Can't wait for more photos.

Thanks, thought I saw a bit of pit in her but I suck at identifying dogs. I should have her in two weeks. She was literally 3rd in line in the euth room when the puller got to her. I can't wait.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
She is a purebread Happy Buttwiggler. :3: It's kinda hard to tell with just that pic, but I'm inclined to agree with Ishkibibble.

Fat Lazy Unicorn
Sep 19, 2007
This is my dog Boomer

We adopted her from the SPCA. They had her listed as a Border Collie/Lab mix. She's just under 50lbs and has a longish soft coat. The guys in the picture are about 5'10 and her shoulders come up to their knees. Do you think the shelter got it right? We come from an area with a lot of hunting dogs.

She's really easy to train and with a little shaping has become pretty good at flushing birds. We're hoping to get her actually out hunting in a season or so. This picture was actually the first time she showed an interest in birds. She went after some ducks that were in the pond and I called her off once she hit the water. Now she always looks to me before she gives chase.

She tends to be shy around men since I didn't get a chance to socialize her properly in the first year due to a sudden acceptance in a program I was waiting for. We are working on it for now and she's come along quite a bit in the last few months. This is her after we got stuck in the mud while quading. She was helping (rolling around in the mud) while we tried to pull ourselves out.

She's a sweet dog and goes from lapdog to full speed forever in about 1 minute if you tell her it's okay. We walk her for about an hour - 2 hours a day when we're not in the woods. We are extremely lucky in that she's naturally the way she is as she's our first dog (both of us raised dogs with our families previously).

Sorry for the huge post, but I love this dog :3:

Fat Lazy Unicorn fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jun 17, 2012

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
:unsmith:
Boomer is very lovely. Could she be a flat coated retriever?

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
This is my friend's dog. She knows what his parents are (both purebred, different breeds), but I'd be interested to see what y'all guess. :)

He weighs about 80lb.

His friend on the left is a kelpie with a glandular problem...

somethingwicked
May 5, 2006

Hai!
This is Kaiser. I just adopted him last week from an Adoption center that rescues animals from gas shelters down south. He's a year old chihuahua / beagle mix.

He's an absolute sweetheart who tries his damnedest to constantly be in my lap. He's been doing a lot of submissive peeing though, which is starting to get messy.

I couldn't be happier, and it feels great to give an animal a better shot at life.

jgrrr
Oct 3, 2007

&
here's Phoebe.

just adopted from the ASPCA in New York. she's a year and 7 months and learns really fast.

we were told she's part Pit, and can't figure out what else she is, someone at the park thinks she may be part Catahoula Leopard Dog, but we don't know! because of the judgement on pits we're not going to say "pit mix" but rather "purebred mutt"

Dead Pikachu
Mar 25, 2007

I wish you were real.

6-Ethyl Bearcat posted:

This is my friend's dog. She knows what his parents are (both purebred, different breeds), but I'd be interested to see what y'all guess. :)

American Akita/Lab

Expert guess :colbert:

somethingwicked posted:

This is Kaiser. I just adopted him last week from an Adoption center that rescues animals from gas shelters down south. He's a year old chihuahua / beagle mix.

I'd guess there's some Jack Russell in there too. :)

Dead Pikachu fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jun 20, 2012

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

6-Ethyl Bearcat posted:

Akita/something for sure. No clue what the something is.

What kind of collar attachment is that? I have never seen that before.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

jgrrr posted:

here's Phoebe.

just adopted from the ASPCA in New York. she's a year and 7 months and learns really fast.

we were told she's part Pit, and can't figure out what else she is, someone at the park thinks she may be part Catahoula Leopard Dog, but we don't know! because of the judgement on pits we're not going to say "pit mix" but rather "purebred mutt"

She looks predominately, if not all pit, really. Catahoula would be stretching things a lot, I think.

jgrrr
Oct 3, 2007

&

TVs Ian posted:

She looks predominately, if not all pit, really. Catahoula would be stretching things a lot, I think.

her personality makes it seem like she's not all pit though, nor her size. she's under 40 pounds. her body shape also speaks towards catahoula, but I agree that many of her features don't speak to that effect.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

jgrrr posted:

her personality makes it seem like she's not all pit though, nor her size. she's under 40 pounds. her body shape also speaks towards catahoula, but I agree that many of her features don't speak to that effect.

30-50 lbs is breed standard for APBT. They're medium-sized dogs.

What aspects of her personality? Is she reserved?

Fat Lazy Unicorn
Sep 19, 2007

A Sleepy Budgie posted:

Boomer is very lovely. Could she be a flat coated retriever?

There do appear to be flat coated retriever breeders in province but I'm more inclined to believe her muttiness. Her resemblance to the flat coated retrievers is pretty shocking!

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

jgrrr posted:

here's Phoebe.

Pit or pit mix. That is a classic bully head. Do you have a better full body shot of her?

And if she is pit (as is likely) you should read up on the Bully Breed thread, and think about *not* taking her to 'the park' if it's a dog park. You also shouldn't try to downplay her pittiness if she is: they are prone to dog aggression and you do have to take that into consideration with how you exercise her, etc.

6-Ethyl Bearcat posted:

He weighs about 80lb.

Akita/collie? I dunno, something in that face really reminds me of a herder.

Fat Lazy Unicorn posted:

This is my dog Boomer

She's the spitting image of a friend's collie/retriever. I definitely wouldn't say FCR - her face isn't right for it. Lab/collie and golden/collie are pretty common mixes though!

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

cryingscarf posted:

Akita/something for sure. No clue what the something is.

What kind of collar attachment is that? I have never seen that before.

He's akita x whippet! The dam was the whippet, poor thing. Congrats on picking up the akita everyone. He has those silly triangular ears from the akita, combined with the floppy whippet rose ears.

The collar is a head halter that is attached to the collar, similar to this one. He'd slipped the halter off his nose in these photos though. (Bad dawgs itt)

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

6-Ethyl Bearcat posted:

He's akita x whippet!

How does that even happen? Did someone scale a fence?

Ok so we now Nori is predominately Siberian Husky (although I'm sure his sire is no extraordinary specimen, given what I know of the former 'owner' :banjo: ) and we know that the dam is allegedly mostly husky herself. But there is something else in there.

Popular opinion at the vet's office is GSD but they also said that aside from the color he was the spitting image of a ninety pound Malamute client of theirs at 8-9 weeks old.

The brindle to me is really suggesting Akita but I think that's probably just due to how he looks in general. And I'm sure someone more schooled in genetics can explain why brindle can show up any old time in many breeds not known for it.

What made you?!

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

TVs Ian posted:

How does that even happen? Did someone scale a fence?

Someone owned two unsterilised dogs, guess what happened?? :downs: Then the mum got surrendered to the pound and all the puppies were born there.

jgrrr
Oct 3, 2007

&

Engineer Lenk posted:

30-50 lbs is breed standard for APBT. They're medium-sized dogs.

What aspects of her personality? Is she reserved?

Very reserved, very calm especially around other dogs. Very friendly, doesn't pay attention to smaller dogs, only wants to play with dogs the same size as her, or larger. When playing I haven't seen her open her mouth once.

In fact I still haven't heard her bark. The only noises she's made are groans and cries. Groans when laying down, and cries when leaving her alone.

She has a white band around part of her neck, as of yesterday people have asking if she was a boxer mix.

Her face also has softer features than most APBTs that I've seen.

Would one of those "Doggie DNA Tests" be worth it?

e: also she's a little taller than most APBTs that I've seen, and her body is a little bit slimmer. this might have to do with her being a shelter dog and is in the process of gaining weight.

i'll see if i have a picture of her from the side.

jgrrr fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jun 22, 2012

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
The DNA tests are largely crap. There's a video somewhere of a lady doing one on her purebred pit (or maybe amstaff, don't remember), and the results came up border collie. Because the dog was black and white and they only test for so many breeds, so if your dog's a breed that's not on the list you're SOL.

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Wicked pissa little critta

jgrrr posted:

What about her makes you think Catahoula? She doesn't seem to have any Cata traits, they are relatively rare dogs outside of the deep rural South, and for some reason I've been seeing tons of people and shelters claiming that their dogs were Catahoulas.

I see 100% pit bull here.

quote:

In fact I still haven't heard her bark. The only noises she's made are groans and cries. Groans when laying down, and cries when leaving her alone.

Grumbling and groaning are really common with pit bulls, I've noticed. (Huskies and some other breeds, as well.) It's cute as hell.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
That dog's a pit.

It seems like you have a different idea of what her breed means than what she actually is. She's not going to suddenly 'snap' and murder all of you, contrary to popular belief. Pits are wonderful, sweet, family dogs that are about as gentle as you can get. She may have a low drive for dog aggression, but dog parks still aren't a good idea because of the stimulation and chaos, not because she's an outright murder machine. There are many levels of drive in this breed, and dog aggression does not equal prey aggression or human aggression.

Check out the bully thread for more info.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 17, 2009

Heh, yeah, 'round here I call myself The Enabler. I suspect pretty much everyone wishes they could be me -- I'm kind of a big deal, you see.

This is Barney, my grandpa's dog, and hater of cameras. He's certainly a mutt, but I happen to know his full lineage.

I'd be curious what people would guess he is, seems like the perfect use for the spoiler tag. If it helps any his sister is white with brown spots. They both have the curly tail.

He is 1/4th English Toy Terrier, 1/4th Fox Terrier, 1/2 Lhasa Apso

Side Note: Please disregard my pony AV. I spend most of my time in TFR and someone is always coming through and buying AVs for those of us who are active posters. It's getting pretty ridiculous, there's no point in changing it because it will just get switched back.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

This is Roy. He came from a shelter, Austin Pets Alive (awesome organization), last month, he's a 5 year old listed as "Labrador Retriever Mix." The mix is probably pit, fortunately by keeping any mention of pit off his adoption records I was able to get around my apartment's "no pitt bulls" policy. It's not really as obvious unless you know what you're looking for, I guess.

We've been curious if he was some other sort of mix but given the amount of pitbull mutts here in Austin, it seems likely. Doesn't matter, I love labs and mutts and he's a sweetheart.

The first thing people notice is how skinny he is. His ribs are always pretty visible. Apparently he had been at the shelter for about a month and never put on much weight, and he's hovered around 47-51 lbs since I got him. One vet says it's healthy, but the vet from Austin Pets Alive is treating him for lymphoma and said to give him more than the 2.5 cups of kibble he's been getting. He's also got extremely muscular legs.

Muscle butt!

Was really looking forward to being able to take him to dog parks but he gets pretty dominant around other dogs, if not overly aggressive, he usually provokes them. Was hoping I could socialize him to other dogs somehow. I probably need to check out the bully thread as well.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

J Greedy posted:

Was really looking forward to being able to take him to dog parks but he gets pretty dominant around other dogs, if not overly aggressive, he usually provokes them. Was hoping I could socialize him to other dogs somehow. I probably need to check out the bully thread as well.

He's a pit mix, so dog parks are (as with the other poster) a bad choice. You should also definitely read the bully thread. He's also not being "dominant"; more likely, he's displaying signs of DA which further mean he shouldn't be at a dog park or loose around strange dogs. That's just part of owning a bully breed or bully mix.

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

He is 1/4th English Toy Terrier, 1/4th Fox Terrier, 1/2 Lhasa Apso

How weird! With that colouring, body shape and face, my guess was going to be hound/chi. I never would have thought he was the mix he is!

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
I don't know if this dog is a mutt or not, but I would sure like to know what kind of dog it is!

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Looks like a Lab (e: or Golden)/Poodle puppy.

a life less fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jun 25, 2012

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
They prefer to be called 'little person'

DracoArgentum
May 29, 2011
My family seems to have some sort of stray magnet so we always end up with rescues.

This is our rescue, Cocoa

We're assuming she has border collie in her, but that's as much as we can guess.

And here is my aunt's most recent addition, Corky.

He obviously has some akita, he's got that adorable doofy look I love in akitas.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.

DracoArgentum posted:

And here is my aunt's most recent addition, Corky.

He obviously has some lab, he's got that adorable doofy look I love in labs.

Fixed that for you. Looks lab/shepherd to me; Akitas and Akita mixes would have prick ears and a fully curled tail, unless it's so far back in his ancestry as to be unimportant, and that ear/tail set screams average lab/shepherd mutt.

'Doofy' is something people associate so much with labs that it should be in the breed standard, really.

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary
My neighbors had an Akita/lab cross when I was growing up, Sophie had floppy lab ears but a fully curled Akita tail. Corky definitely looks like a lab mix to me, but I'm wondering where his white face markings come from.

DracoArgentum
May 29, 2011
Corky has very akita-ish coat, or at least very similar to my friends akita, though. Not all of him, but his chest, butt and tail. It all sheds in those huge obvious chunks I associate with long-haired dogs. He is also larger than I usually see labs, though that could well be because of a mix. Though he is quite the licker, which I associate with at least one lab. You can barely pet him, and left alone he will just lick whatever part of your body you have left near him for hours.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
That tail is a German Shepherd tail, the rest is probably a lot of Lab, though those ears do look like there might possibly be something else in there. Probably not Akita though.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

My lab/American bulldog mix sheds SO MUCH. Just constant white fluff everywhere. If it's a shepherd/lab mix (which was my first thought) then it's going to be shedding a lot too. I'm still kind of amazed how much hair comes off of my already short-haired dog.

Lucette Babette
Jun 24, 2005
Where'd you go? ... Oh.
So I was finally able to adopt a dog and he's sweet little boy. He was found wandering with a busted leg and ended up having it amputated so he's a little ball of pathetic adorable.

You can see the missing leg

He looked much better after I trimmed his muzzle down so he could see.

He's incredibly well behaved and polite so far but I'm a little worried he's still on his best behavior after being adopted. Any ideas as to what he is? The shelter called him a terrier mix.

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary
I see chihuahua and toy poodle and adorable. I love tripod dogs!

Lucette Babette
Jun 24, 2005
Where'd you go? ... Oh.
His ears made me think maybe some Yorkshire Terrier. They had to cut all his hair off when they found him because he was so matted and it's just starting to grow back in. It's very thin with just a little kink to it and it looks like it'll be long when it's grown back in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lenaway
Feb 8, 2006

Touch Fuzzy
Get Dizzy
This is my dog Pandora

I got her when my best friend's dog got pregnant. She was the best dog I've ever had, but I have no idea what she was. Her mom was a small but muscular white lab/pit mix. I named her Panda originally because she was white and black as a pup.

40lbs, pointed like a hunting dog and was fast. I was thinking maybe she was a shepherd? Anyone have a clue?

She was rad as hell and I'll miss her.