Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Urdnot Fire posted:

Anyways, since I'm tired of horrible, non-Kickstarter posts, here's an interesting FPS called Retrovirus.

Is it weird that the first thing I noticed in that video is that he's playing as a lefty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Spatial posted:

Descent-inspired evasive FPS? Yes please. :allears:

Oh please oh please oh please oh please

Descent 2 was kind of bad but Descent 1 was basically my introduction to FPSes, and 3 was pretty good too. I've always wished more games would do things with zero gravity.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TetsuoTW posted:

On this note, has there been any talk in here about Neal Stephenson's "Clang" project? A motion-controlled swordfighting simulator for PC using a commercially available $100-ish motion controller.

Wow, 6 people donated 10k to get an actual sword :stare:

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

glug posted:

I've only watched the first video, so I don't know if they go into this more, but I got the impression that they are building this with a mindset towards making the api available to other games, so that would be pretty friggen awesome.

Give me a sword doohickey to swing around. Now give me a (viking) shield doohickey to stop things swinging around from hitting me. Now give me a leg doohickey that ties my leg motion into walking/running in game. Complicated as gently caress, sure, but if they pull it off right we'll have the biggest viking-warrior-exercise-game craze that the world has ever seen. :colbert:

(Of course, leave non-leg motion movement options available.)

Orv
May 4, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

Oh please oh please oh please oh please

Descent 2 was kind of bad but Descent 1 was basically my introduction to FPSes, and 3 was pretty good too. I've always wished more games would do things with zero gravity.

Wait, how was what is essentially more Descent 1 bad? I mean, gently caress the Thief bot but still.

Orv fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jun 15, 2012

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Tsurupettan posted:

Now give me a leg doohickey that ties my leg motion into walking/running in game. Complicated as gently caress, sure, but if they pull it off right we'll have the biggest viking-warrior-exercise-game craze that the world has ever seen. :colbert:

This works until you walk into the wall/your computer.
Unless you want to play in some kind of ball-thing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lpoi4NngEJs

Electric Pope
Oct 29, 2011

Oh I'm still alive
I'm still alive
I can't apologize, no

TetsuoTW posted:

The video for it is goddamned great too. I'm not sure I'm down with buying yet another bloody controller, but I'm certainly down to support the project.

They've said there will be mouse control. It's just a question of whether or not the mouse control sucks, for me.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Mug posted:

Do a lot of people just instantly dismiss IndieGoGo on the assumption everyone uses Flexible Funding?

I will admit to that, though now I know better.

On a brighter note, that Antivirus game looks pretty nifty. I like how they're using two completely different aesthetics for the system and the invaders, and the invaders are definitely touching a bad spot in my brain already.

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011
I don't suppose there's a workaround for a Brit to post a campaign on Kickstarter, e.g. collaborating with an American goon? Or would that just result in the project being canned by the staff?

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Urdnot Fire posted:

Anyways, since I'm tired of horrible, non-Kickstarter posts, here's an interesting FPS called Retrovirus.

Basically, you play as an anti-virus program and destroy an infection. It's a neat concept and is certainly a diversion from the gritty FPS norm these days. The MOBA multiplayer mode in particular sounds like fun. The team behind this, Cadenza Interactive, created a game called Sol Survivor a couple years back, which itself was a fun little indie turret defense/strategy game.

Reading that, it reminded me of an old 1997 game called Virus: The Game with the same theme. Sadly it was quite poo poo, but I loved the idea of the game world being created out of files from your computer, like textures would be family photos and sound would be from your MP3 collection. Now I want those two games to have a baby!

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Tamba posted:

This works until you walk into the wall/your computer.
Unless you want to play in some kind of ball-thing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lpoi4NngEJs

Have you ever used the wiifit running stuff? You put the controller in your pocket and walk/run in place. I was getting at a similar concept. Then you simply put some weights on your wrists/legs and you have the most badass viking warrior exercise program ever.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

While this does fit the bill for a terrible kickstarter, I felt I could add it here because it is completely baffling :psyduck: .

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1537889393/berathen-spirit-detective

Also known as the kickstarter with a 50 dollar funding goal that uses an intro page from RPGmaker made in about 20 seconds.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

And here I thought Kickstarter had a screening feature before allowing dumb things to get through.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Tsurupettan posted:

Have you ever used the wiifit running stuff? You put the controller in your pocket and walk/run in place. I was getting at a similar concept. Then you simply put some weights on your wrists/legs and you have the most badass viking warrior exercise program ever.

Doesn't the Wii Fit thing just measure how fast you go to move your character along a rail?

evilmiera posted:

While this does fit the bill for a terrible kickstarter, I felt I could add it here because it is completely baffling :psyduck: .

Also known as the kickstarter with a 50 dollar funding goal that uses an intro page from RPGmaker made in about 20 seconds.

50 Dollar funding goal, and a 50$ pledge level with a quantity of 1 that's already sold out... So that's how you do Indiegogo's flexible funding on Kickstarter

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Orv posted:

Wait, how was what is essentially more Descent 1 bad? I mean, gently caress the Thief bot but still.

No more inter-mission briefings, replaced instead with boring "ship arriving" and "ship leaving" FMVs.

The thief-bot.

Enemy design is ugly; enemy names are stupid.

Levels are ridiculous tangled mazes that make the guide-bot almost mandatory.

Using the guidebot gets you swarmed because enemies can open doors now and will chase it back to you.

Spawners are much more common making it impossible to clear out even part of a level.

Less variation in level design and aesthetics.

Secrets are almost always timed and usually rely on stupid smartmine/guided missile shenanigans to trigger switches from halfway across the level.

Frequent bossfights, which were the worst parts of D1 and aren't any better here, but are more common.

Also, if you played it on release it was literally impossible to complete on some difficulty levels due to bugs in the way boss hit areas were generated (oh yeah, bosses have weak points that are the only ways to damage them now, have fun with that when there's only two (ammo-limited) hitscan weapons in the game and the boss is gyrating around like a mechanical bull), but they did at least fix that in a patch.

I liked some of the enemy AI upgrades and the new weapons are really nice, but if I had to describe it in one sentence it would be "More Descent 1, except not actually fun".

A lot of this is a matter of taste. I'm not willing to say that D2's more rounded enemy designs are objectively inferior to D1's sharper, more angular ones, for example. But I hugely prefer D1's take on the concept to D2's.

I wonder how hard it would be to modify D2X-XL to let you play through D1 using the D2 weapons?

Orv
May 4, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

A lot of this is a matter of taste. I'm not willing to say that D2's more rounded enemy designs are objectively inferior to D1's sharper, more angular ones, for example. But I hugely prefer D1's take on the concept to D2's.

I have to disagree with almost all your points except,
- Briefings
- Level design
- Thief bot! :argh:

I get what you're saying, but I guess I'm just a complete Descent nostalgic at all levels.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Tamba posted:

Doesn't the Wii Fit thing just measure how fast you go to move your character along a rail?

I was thinking more like you'd move in the direction the camera was oriented, but of course that'd make backpedaling impossible. :shobon:

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
So I spent some time playing the Xenonauts alpha last night... man, I'm in love already. The problem is, I was always terrible at XCom. I barely survive more than a few months in without going broke/people dying, even on easy.

As an example, on the first crash-landing mission I managed to kill a civilian with friendly fire, on my first shot of the game.

Is there a good guide to strategies in XCom or anything? Like, where a good place for your first base is, how many bases to build, etc.?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

SquadronROE posted:

So I spent some time playing the Xenonauts alpha last night... man, I'm in love already. The problem is, I was always terrible at XCom. I barely survive more than a few months in without going broke/people dying, even on easy.

As an example, on the first crash-landing mission I managed to kill a civilian with friendly fire, on my first shot of the game.

Is there a good guide to strategies in XCom or anything? Like, where a good place for your first base is, how many bases to build, etc.?

The beforeiplay wiki has some stuff that you might find helpful.

Also, high mortality rates are expected. A 50% casualty rate for the rookies early on means you're doing well. Survival rates will improve as you research better gear (armour and lasers in particular) and as the survivors' skills improve, but you are going to lose soldiers by the dozen. Don't get too broken up about it.

Cstar
Aug 17, 2006
I've no way of knowing what whims I might have!

SquadronROE posted:

Don't think Xenonauts has very indepth guides yet, since a lot about it still bound to change (the AI for example is just a really dumb placeholder now).

Europe, in Italy specifically, is probably the best spot for the first base in X-Com as well as Xenonauts. A base placed there will cover Europe, North Africa, Middle East and a part of Soviet Union, so that's atleast 3 regions that are certain to increase their funding in the first month (plus USSR if it doesn't get hit in the unprotected area too much), as opposed to just 1-2 regions you'd get in other parts of the world. In X-COM, Europe was shattered into multiple countries, so getting funding bonuses from them made it smart to start there, as well.

You should start building the second base right away, just a radar + 1-2 hangars will suffice for a start. Just shooting down the UFOs will ensure you get funding boosts. North America and Indochina are two good choices for this. You won't be able to clean the faraway crashsites in Xenonauts however, since the Chinook won't have the range for the trip (it's supposed to get a +50% range increase in next build, tho).

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

evilmiera posted:

Why the gently caress did anyone spend even a single dollar on this? This is bizarre.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Saoshyant posted:

And here I thought Kickstarter had a screening feature before allowing dumb things to get through.
They don't filter the size of projects either. You can make a dollar KS that lasts a month.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

StevenM posted:

I don't suppose there's a workaround for a Brit to post a campaign on Kickstarter, e.g. collaborating with an American goon? Or would that just result in the project being canned by the staff?

Either find an American you can trust or find an alternative to Bridgestarter.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Mordaedil posted:

Why the gently caress did anyone spend even a single dollar on this? This is bizarre.

Could just be a less than elaborate way of shifting funds around as an experiment. Or a joke project made to make fun of RPG-maker games?

Edit: Hoping this hasn't been posted yet, but to wash away the taste of an awful kickstarter here's a project made by the Pinball Arcade guys

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jun 15, 2012

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

evilmiera posted:

Edit: Hoping this hasn't been posted yet, but to wash away the taste of an awful kickstarter here's a project made by the Pinball Arcade guys
It has, but it's always worth mentioning. It only has 2 days to make nearly $36k for it's stretch goal, though. It's a shame because that TNG table sounds pretty cool as well.

XenoCrab
Mar 30, 2012

XenoCrab is the least important character in the Alien movie franchise. He's not even in the top ten characters.

Urdnot Fire posted:

It has, but it's always worth mentioning. It only has 2 days to make nearly $36k for it's stretch goal, though. It's a shame because that TNG table sounds pretty cool as well.

It does mention in their FAQ that they'll do another KickStarter to make up the difference if they don't reach $110k, but people who pledged for Twilight Zone will have to pledge again for ST:TNG. I don't think they'll have any problems raising another $25k-$35k if they do a new campaign, so it seems pretty likely that we'll see the Star Trek table eventually.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Tsurupettan posted:

Give me a sword doohickey to swing around. Now give me a (viking) shield doohickey to stop things swinging around from hitting me. Now give me a leg doohickey that ties my leg motion into walking/running in game. Complicated as gently caress, sure, but if they pull it off right we'll have the biggest viking-warrior-exercise-game craze that the world has ever seen. :colbert:

Look up Robo-QWOP.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
edit - never mind, missed the derail-over post

kitten emergency fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jun 16, 2012

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

I'm pretty sure we aren't talking about that anymore.

e:

Kewpuh posted:

Derail is over gents.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Torchships is at 2 days to go with only 25% of the required funding. :smith:

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.
Zombie Playground is something I backed but want to make sure I'm understanding this right.

I saw below they have "stretch funding" (and state) that the project will take a few million but if they barely meet their goal (and so far that's what it looks like), they only produce a 2 character alpha version? Or do they move onto the other branches at a later date?

Just making sure I understand this correctly.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Malek posted:

Zombie Playground is something I backed but want to make sure I'm understanding this right.

I saw below they have "stretch funding" (and state) that the project will take a few million but if they barely meet their goal (and so far that's what it looks like), they only produce a 2 character alpha version? Or do they move onto the other branches at a later date?

Just making sure I understand this correctly.

As far as I can tell, yeah.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/arcbotics/hexy-the-hexapod-low-cost-six-legged-open-robot?ref=popular

The opportunity to make a cheaper robot and being completely open sourced. All the stuff you need is included. Newbie friendly. Fully funded.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Scalding Coffee posted:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/arcbotics/hexy-the-hexapod-low-cost-six-legged-open-robot?ref=popular

The opportunity to make a cheaper robot and being completely open sourced. All the stuff you need is included. Newbie friendly. Fully funded.
Wow, now that is neat. I can't afford it right now, but that's a pretty cool idea, and I'm glad it's doing so well.

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax

NINbuntu 64 posted:

Hah, of course they aren't even touching on the truly damaging issues that are associated with the representation of men in videogames. No, that'd just be loving crazy.
What do you feel are the "truly damaging issues"? I saw you mention effeminate behavior being seen as gay, but they claim to be addressing that, so what else?

edit: I guess this topic is done, so whatever.

Aardark fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jun 16, 2012

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Really surprised Tex Murphy ended up getting more than the Jane Jensen kickstarter. I figured that series was much lower on the totempole, but I'm not complaining. I can't believe we're actually getting a new FMV adventure game.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Hakkesshu posted:

Really surprised Tex Murphy ended up getting more than the Jane Jensen kickstarter. I figured that series was much lower on the totempole, but I'm not complaining. I can't believe we're actually getting a new FMV adventure game.

The actual game content was probably a factor. 2D broody psychic antique store owner vs. live-action hardboiled post-apocalyptic private dick; who's gonna win? The details of the former weren't even revealed until part-way through, before which there was only Jane Jensen's Gabriel Knight (2D/live-action broody bookstore owner with mysterious birthright/duty) series as a reference.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Jun 16, 2012

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

BiggerJ posted:

The actual game content was probably a factor. 2D broody psychic antique store owner vs. live-action hardboiled post-apocalyptic private dick; who's gonna win? The details of the former weren't even revealed until part-way through, before which there was only Jane Jensen's Gabriel Knight (2D/live-action broody bookstore owner with mysterious birthright/duty) series as a reference.

Yeah, Jane Jensen was mostly campaigning as "Jane Jensen making another adventure game of some sort", where Project Fedora was "This is the continuation of Tex Murphy, which previously ended on a cliffhanger. We're going to resolve that and move on from there."

I can see where the latter has more appeal.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Yeah, I'm a huge fan of Jane Jensen and I'd love to see her make more stuff, but her whole pitch was entirely too ambiguous for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
I don't think it's been mentioned in this thread yet, but the Tex Murphy devs gave thanks to a couple of projects that were encouraging people to pledge to Project Fedora. One was a zombie TCG, the other was Vacant Sky: Awakening, an RPG where your character is attempting to successfully destroy the world.

They have a list of "Things You Won't Find In This Game", which includes "Random encounters; Spiky-haired, brooding emo protagonists; Pointless grinding; Mind-numbingly convoluted and pointless puzzles; Bosses with a larger HP count than the national debt; Chosen ones destined to save the world; Magical princesses who stay around just long enough for you to fall in love with before being abducted by the villain"

As with most Kickstarter RPGs, it seems like they're biting off a bit more than they can chew, but I like what they're aiming for. With 8 days and $14,000 to go, I don't think they'll make it, but the Tex Murphy boost could prove me wrong.