Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Len posted:

Don't say this. It doesn't inspire hope.
Don't worry about it too much. It's been a while since I played it so I'm just remembering all the worst parts at once. Really though, you're most of the way through the series at this point, and you've already been through the final dungeon of DDS1, so you've got a good idea of what to expect. You should be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Len posted:

I'm pretty sure that one is the worst until you get to the final one.

But man oh man, the last one is a doozy.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
I loved the final dungeon in DDS2, though that's probably because it looks super awesome and the music is also awesome.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Cityinthesea posted:

I loved the final dungeon in DDS2, though that's probably because it looks super awesome and the music is also awesome.

The only thing I remember about that dungeon is finally getting to fight that one boss and the weird spiral/cross-shaped map. Every time I think about maybe replaying the DDS games, I remember that dungeon... then I feel better. :)

I wish more games would include overt Hindu symbolism and themes, though; A Mahabharata RPG would be... divine :ocelot:

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

TurnipFritter posted:

I'm pretty sure that one is the worst until you get to the final one.

But man oh man, the last one is a doozy.

I think E-Sector is the one people always complain about due to that big teleporter maze. F was pretty simple/easy as I recall.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I think E-Sector is the one people always complain about due to that big teleporter maze. F was pretty simple/easy as I recall.

I was talking about DDS2, not SJ.

But yes, Sector E can go gently caress itself.
e: Also Sector G.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

TurnipFritter posted:

I was talking about DDS2, not SJ.

But yes, Sector E can go gently caress itself.
e: Also Sector G.

Whoops, followed that conversation totally wrong, sorry. :I

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

That was my fault. Also yeah, Sector E is about when I gave in and pulled out the walkthroughs. Pretty sad that even then I only made it to Sector F before "taking a break" and not getting back to it. Maybe I'll get back to it once I'm done knocking a couple other games off my backlog, but it's a pretty crushing game.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Justice posted:

P4 had a twintails idol, a martial arts tomgirl, AND a reverse-trap detective.

P3, FES, and Portable had the lion's share of LNs, comics, figures, and drama CDs. Atlus USA was really banking on P4 selling better in the states, but maybe it was too late in the PS2's life or something. It did alright in Japan, but the merchandising was nowhere near the level P3 had; look at the Konamistyle pre-order bonuses for a good idea of what I'm talking about.

Then they decided to make some cartoons and a fighting game and, well, here we are.

Didn't Persona 4 come out in the US like 2 years after the PS3 launched? By that point the PS3 finally had enough AAA titles out that nobody really gave a poo poo about the PS2 anymore.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

DeathSandwich posted:

Didn't Persona 4 come out in the US like 2 years after the PS3 launched? By that point the PS3 finally had enough AAA titles out that nobody really gave a poo poo about the PS2 anymore.

I think the other thing is that Persona 3 was the first Persona game in a long time, so they really went all out with merchandise and it created an enormous surge of of attention. Then they churned out Persona 4 within like less than two years, so while it was still very popular, it just didn't have the same effect on the fan base.

It still sold really well in Japan, not enough to warrant an extended edition (i.e. FES) for a while though. I hope they don't decide to bring P3 to Vita later on and do to it what they did to P4.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Justice posted:

I hope they don't decide to bring P3 to Vita later on and do to it what they did to P4.

What is it that they did to the Vita version that you don't appreciate? Or are you referring to the concurrent anime, fighting game and Naoto novel releases?

Snowcow
Oct 17, 2007

Is P3 like P4 where I have to beat a block of floors before a certain date? I know that stuff happens on full moon evenings but that's all I know.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Snowcow posted:

Is P3 like P4 where I have to beat a block of floors before a certain date? I know that stuff happens on full moon evenings but that's all I know.

Nope. You should, but there's no requirement.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I was looking forward to the Naoto novel, but I guess I had my hopes set too high. I just wanted to see Naoto solve cool mysteries with Kanji as a sidekick, and maybe Chie too because Chie kicks rear end. That would be the best thing ever.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Len posted:

Oh, I'm glad you kicked the naga's face in!

On the other hand Have fun with the EGG 2's Boss. Bwahahahahah.

I really hope I wasn't the only one that got stuck on that one for a bit.

Don't worry, the next dungeon isn't so bad. The final one is a doozy but does, in fact, look and sound awesome.

Persona 4 stuff: I'm just going to ignore all of this Naoto and her crazy...whatever is going on there, as I liked her in-game.

Ravana
Jan 20, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Sex_Ferguson posted:

That entire scene was flimsy and clumsy. Their entire basis of suspicion is that Adachi lives in Inaba, I'm not even kidding. The entire suspicion after you pick him is literally "Adachi knows where you live and can keep tabs on you," as if that somehow rules him out specifically. It also doesn't help they had no definitive evidence it was him beyond assumptions. Then they corner him in the hospital an proceed to try and shake him down for answers that he never really answers. There was no mention of Adachi's involvement to any of the victims prior to that scene either, so it comes off as an incredibly forced "We didn't think through the actual culprit too well, so it's the bumbling detective" cliche.

To be fair, though, Adachi wasn't originally supposed to be the killer, it evidently a change made fairly later on in the game's development cycle after the team ran into a problem with the original killer: your uncle. Play testers evidently found the concept of living with the killer to be really disturbing and not in a good way, especially after the bit with Nanako's hospitalization. There are still some things in the game that are supposedly legacies of this original design, like how after Nanako's been kidnapped Dojima runs off and immediately begins pursuing Namatame's truck, despite the fact that he shouldn't know who would have taken her, as well as the whole Stop-Investigating-This theme and his being angry with Adachi for giving the MC and co info, since he was worried that the MC, living so close to him, might actually be able to figure it out. They didn't have the time or budget to go back and retool the entire game, though, which is why Adachi being the killer seems so out of left field.

Or at least that's what I remember reading. I can't find anything to back it up at the moment, though, so I suppose I could be misremembering.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Ravana posted:

To be fair, though, Adachi wasn't originally supposed to be the killer, it evidently a change made fairly later on in the game's development cycle after the team ran into a problem with the original killer: your uncle. Play testers evidently found the concept of living with the killer to be really disturbing and not in a good way, especially after the bit with Nanako's hospitalization. There are still some things in the game that are supposedly legacies of this original design, like how after Nanako's been kidnapped Dojima runs off and immediately begins pursuing Namatame's truck, despite the fact that he shouldn't know who would have taken her, as well as the whole Stop-Investigating-This theme and his being angry with Adachi for giving the MC and co info, since he was worried that the MC, living so close to him, might actually be able to figure it out. They didn't have the time or budget to go back and retool the entire game, though, which is why Adachi being the killer seems so out of left field.

Or at least that's what I remember reading. I can't find anything to back it up at the moment, though, so I suppose I could be misremembering.

That... would actually have been really interesting. Why must playtesters always be total idiots who ruin everything? :sigh: It's like everytime i hear someone talk about them they're responsible for ruining something that would have been cool.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

I started playing through DDS again this week and christ would someone punch me in the balls for thinking "oh yeah I'll grind every Mantra on the first playthrough" :v:

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.

Technique posted:

That... would actually have been really interesting. Why must playtesters always be total idiots who ruin everything? :sigh: It's like everytime i hear someone talk about them they're responsible for ruining something that would have been cool.

I hate to be mister unpopular oppinion but having Dojima as the killer would have been the worst thing ever. I'm sorry but that would just be too hearthbreaking considering what you go through with him and Nanako, it would probably make me not want to play through the game again. Actually funny story about the killer's identity, according to atlus at some point both Teddie and Naoto were written as the killers

And speaking of things being ruined forever you guys are acting like the Naoto manga is going to ruin P4 forever. Yeah that poo poo is creepy and pandering but you know you can just like not read it.

Lucinice fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jun 16, 2012

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I have no problem with Adachi being the killer still, I just wish they would have done a good job of alluding to him rather than the piss poor job they did. I honestly wouldn't have minded Ryotaro either, but if people were seriously creeped out by that, then whatever I guess our serial killers have to be someone we're fine with soon away with, like nice cop guys. Anyways, Adachi being the killer isn't bad, especially since he had a great speech and JYB showed a lot of range when he was in Killer Mode. The Pierrot s link might fix the problems with Adachi being the killer, but I won't hold my breath on that.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Lucinice posted:

I hate to be mister unpopular oppinion but having Dojima as the killer would have been the worst thing ever. I'm sorry but that would just be too hearthbreaking considering what you go through with him and Nanako, it would probably make me not want to play through the game again. Actually funny story about the killer's identity, according to atlus at some point both Teddie and Naoto were written as the killers

I totally agree with you. stuff that really disturbs me makes me go sour on a game no matter how good it is. It's weird because I love depressing stories like Nier as well, but I guess it's the idea of a family member being a killer really gets to me.

Ravana
Jan 20, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Technique posted:

I personally tend to think Dojima wouldn't have been a great killer. From the other killers that were considered, I personally would have liked it to be Naoto, since I hated her as lovely exposition fairy and would have preferred literally any other use of her character at all.

In terms of other cut stuff, there have been some suggestions that Ai might have originally been intended as a playable character as well. I don't think the devs have ever actually been directly asked about it, though, so it might just be people reading stuff into it that isn't really there. I guess she had way more concept art of her done than anyone who wasn't part of the team or something, and that plus how weird her S-link is in comparison to every other one in the game and Void Quest suddenly breaking the pattern of getting a new teammate for every dungeon means some people think there was a cut character, and that it was her.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
I think Ai having more concept art floating around is a combination of her being Soejima's favorite and also basically being a Rise design that got tossed and turned into her. Now her social link might have been one of the first ones finished, since it is the one most like a P3 link with multiple break options and they just never redid it, since there is data for a couple of other characters having broken links too such as both sun girls, Chie, and Yukiko.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Having him be the killer would totally ruin the heartwarming resolution of his and Nanako's s-links, which I honestly thought were the best part of the game.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
The way Persona 4 unfolded could have been better most assuredly. It's not a problem of the concept at all, just the way it was handled.

The other alternative would have been far more interesting though. Too bad.

Don't worry though! Naoto's ridin' around with her motorcycle robot man boyfriend and you can read all about it! Honestly they should just combine Persona and PSO and be done with it

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Don't worry though! Naoto's ridin' around with her motorcycle robot man boyfriend and you can read all about it!

Robots can't be boyfriends. :mad:

:(

Honestly they should just combine Persona and PSO and be done with it

Persona become Photon Blasts, Mags replace Evoker/GunCOMP, sploosh.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So, in going from Persona 3 to Nocturne did anyone else find it funny that Nyx, the entity you were ultimately trying to stop in Persona 3 was just some schlub that ran a bar in Nocturne? Granted, I just got done at Ikebukuro for the first time, so maybe there's more too her later on.

*edit* My Nocturne Raiju just morphed his Zionga to Anti-Physical, I'm not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing. :smith:

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jun 16, 2012

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Don't worry though! Naoto's ridin' around with her motorcycle robot man boyfriend and you can read all about it!

All I can imagine when I read this is Naoto dating Johnny from Chrono Trigger

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

DeathSandwich posted:

So, in going from Persona 3 to Nocturne did anyone else find it funny that Nyx, the entity you were ultimately trying to stop in Persona 3 was just some schlub that ran a bar in Nocturne? Granted, I just got done at Ikebukuro for the first time, so maybe there's more too her later on.
Nocturne doesn't take place in the same universe as the Persona games. They have the same name but they're not the same character. That's an easy conclusion to jump to, though, I must admit! :)

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So in Nocturne, does the demon with Lucky Find have to be in the active party in order to find poo poo on the world map? My High Pixie has it but she's behind in levels (18 compared to 27 on MC) and I don't really have anything worthwhile to fuse her into. If she is stocked will she still find me presents?

I ask because the first three items she found me were a bead chain, a soma, and chakra pot.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
(P4 Killer spoilers) Dojima being the killer would've been much better, I think, because we actually have an emotional connection to him. There is absolutely no reason you'd feel connected to Adachi, you'd just think of him as the wacky sidekick. Adachi being the real killer was just so contrived and stupid, and I hate how he just suddenly turned his crazy switch on as soon as people suspected him. It kind of drove the whole "This is a complete mockery of a mystery story" thing in.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Momomo posted:

(P4 Killer spoilers) Dojima being the killer would've been much better, I think, because we actually have an emotional connection to him. There is absolutely no reason you'd feel connected to Adachi, you'd just think of him as the wacky sidekick. Adachi being the real killer was just so contrived and stupid, and I hate how he just suddenly turned his crazy switch on as soon as people suspected him. It kind of drove the whole "This is a complete mockery of a mystery story" thing in.

Boy is your face gonna be red when you form an unbreakable bond with him in Persona 4 The Golden for the Playstation Vita.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.

Suaimhneas posted:

Having him be the killer would totally ruin the heartwarming resolution of his and Nanako's s-links, which I honestly thought were the best part of the game.

Man it sucks, I was on level 9 of both of their social links and then they both ended up in the hospital :smith:

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

TurnipFritter posted:

Boy is your face gonna be red when you form an unbreakable bond with him in Persona 4 The Golden for the Playstation Vita.

That's not the same thing though, because it's optional. You bond with Dojima even if you don't social link with him. Also, I don't really like the concept of linking with the killer anyway, because you're supposed to be making a real connection to them, that's why you unlock more abilities from it. If Adachi was just faking it then that just ruins the whole thing. Of course, this means if Dojima was the killer then you couldn't link with him, but you could have similar scenes without an ingame bonus. Maybe something like Elizabeth dates.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Keep in mind, they changed the game to fit the current killer so if Dojima was the killer instead, the game would be scripted differently.

Katsudon
Oct 21, 2010

Shut up Adachi.

Alteisen posted:

Here is the pandering panel in question.

Obviously :nws: :siren:

http://i.imgur.com/jnyCZ.jpg

:doh:

Well they did one thing I could like at least, everything else is poo poo but I already hated her so welp.

Ravana posted:

WHOA WAIT what!? I had heard before the whole Adachi not originally being the killer thing but what I had heard was it was just going to be Namatame all along or something. Then again I could've heard wrong. Holy poo poo, I never knew about this Dojima thing.

I too though, am in agreement with others that I wouldn't like that character as the killer. I like him for he is now, and I like the killer himself because I just really dig characters like him.

Anyway it looks like the Adachi social link is shaping up pretty interestingly so far, now that there's more screenshots and translations going around. Looks like the game just tricks you into thinking he's a Pierrot, because his arcana changes in December to "Lust" but then goes back to Pierrot in the Max event, perhaps suggesting he really is going to reform.

And then the first few scenes supposedly involve him and this little old lady he feels awkward about because she feeds him and looks out for him due to the fact he has the same name as her son, but his own parents were really distant so he doesn't really get it. It's a little bit cute. :allears:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Katsudon posted:

Anyway it looks like the Adachi social link is shaping up pretty interestingly so far, now that there's more screenshots and translations going around. Looks like the game just tricks you into thinking he's a Pierrot, because his arcana changes in December to "Lust" but then goes back to Pierrot in the Max event, perhaps suggesting he really is going to reform.

Ohh, so you can only max him after december, that makes a ton of sense.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Allright, gently caress hell biker in Nocturne. I get the warning from a ghost that a firey biker was seen up ahead, so I think 'All right, put on the fire resistance and beat his rear end'. Turns out in this game someone named 'hell biker' that rides a firey motorcycle uses force spells. Since the fire magatama is weak to force, he one round kills my MC.

Second try, I go in with force resistance, everything is going well until he decides he's going to start taking 4 attacks every turn and attack the MC every time, killing him from full health in one round. :saddowns:

*edit* ^^^^ So does that mean there is now going to be post-December content in P4G aside from the best ending stuff?

*edit 2* Oh, turns out Hell biker does use fire attacks, how quaint! There's another MC kill in one enemy round from full health.

*edit 3* Finally killed him this time, but then the next random encounter after that had an angel that Hama-ed me :smith:

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jun 17, 2012

Katsudon
Oct 21, 2010

Shut up Adachi.

Amppelix posted:

Ohh, so you can only max him after december, that makes a ton of sense.

Yeah, it's a lot like Ryoji's social link in P3P by the looks of it, only more forgiving I think? So far I'm not hearing anything about "miss it one time and you can never finish it" like what was going in Ryoji's link, but there is definitely only so far you can go with it before you have to wait for certain events.

Rank 8 is the December and "Lust" arcana thing. Here's an image from the December event. Note the bullet hole in the window. The card change can be seen here. Lust's only what I've been seeing some people translate it as (it's used in some decks as another name for Strength) but I don't know for sure if that's the correct name, feel free to correct me on anything I'm getting wrong.

The Max link event screenshot, where he's Pierrot again, dates to late March by the way.

Edit: ahaha, the Persona you get at the end of that social link has one of the worst luck stats in the entire game.
And yes looks like it's Magatsu Izanagi after all for anyone who cares.

Katsudon fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jun 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Katsudon posted:

Yeah, it's a lot like Ryoji's social link in P3P by the looks of it, only more forgiving I think? So far I'm not hearing anything about "miss it one time and you can never finish it" like what was going in Ryoji's link, but there is definitely only so far you can go with it before you have to wait for certain events.

Rank 8 is the December and "Lust" arcana thing. Here's an image from the December event. Note the bullet hole in the window. The card change can be seen here. Lust's only what I've been seeing some people translate it as (it's used in some decks as another name for Strength) but I don't know for sure if that's the correct name, feel free to correct me on anything I'm getting wrong.

The Max link event screenshot, where he's Pierrot again, dates to late March by the way.

Sometimes it's listed as "Passion" instead of "Lust" but given the circumstances "Lust" seems appropriate.