Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

Al-Saqr posted:

Shock could mean both ways, people didnt see him dying before taking the throne, and there is a very wide sense of relief amongst the populace that they dont have to deal with him being king anymore.

Now we're facing a situation in which the second generation of saudi princes will start to take power.

which is good isn't it? i assume they are more open. Alot of the GCC populace view Abdullah [the current king] as the best of the lot, and i hold that opinion too.

EDIT: Al-Saqr if you got the time, you probably should do a post on your expectations on the future generation of saudi heirs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Just seen this come up on Twitter

quote:

The UN observers suspended their mission in Syria, AFP quoted mission chief General Robert Mood as saying.
Apparently due to the increasing levels of violence.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Brown Moses posted:

Just seen this come up on Twitter

Apparently due to the increasing levels of violence.

After reading this quote from Mood yesterday

quote:

The six-point Plan does not belong to Kofi Annan, it does not belong to Unsmis. It belongs to the Syrian parties that have accepted it and the international community that has endorsed it. There is no other plan on the table yet it is not being implemented.

I had a feeling this was coming. The subtext appears to be "Don't blame us, we tried, you asked for us to do this, come up with something else already". Unfortunately I don't see much of anything spurring anyone into action, it appears that the international community has accepted that there's going to be a bloody civil war.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Al-Saqr posted:

Shock could mean both ways, people didnt see him dying before taking the throne, and there is a very wide sense of relief amongst the populace that they dont have to deal with him being king anymore.

Now we're facing a situation in which the second generation of saudi princes will start to take power.

He was already 79 years old. He wouldn't have had that many years to find new ways of making Saudi Arabia a more conservative place.

I think it's more shocking that these people are dying in such a short time in general. It reminds of the age of Abdullah - he's 87, he's not going to linger much longer. Fahid died at 85.

The new crown prince Mutaib isn't a very progressive man either... and if Abdullah dies now, he might very well rule for three decades.

quote:

[Mutaib] told that reducing problems and meeting the students' demands were not more urgent than security and stability. He further argued that as a result of recent events in the Arab countries, they should be alert to maintain the stability and security of Saudi Arabia

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
What do you call one dead monarch?

A good start.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

McDowell posted:

What do you call one dead monarch?

A good start.

E. P. Thompson had a sentence that critiqued that idea a bit. Paraphrasing, but, something along the lines of, "Even those who agree with Diderot that 'mankind will not be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest' will tire before finishing the job of strangling the last Old Regime city alderman with the entrails of the last parish rector."

EDIT: The point being that you can kill people on the top of the pyramid all you want, but as long as the fundamental underlying structure of the regime is intact, it'll regrow.

Patter Song fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jun 16, 2012

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.

J33uk posted:

I had a feeling this was coming. The subtext appears to be "Don't blame us, we tried, you asked for us to do this, come up with something else already". Unfortunately I don't see much of anything spurring anyone into action, it appears that the international community has accepted that there's going to be a bloody civil war.

There's not really much they can do to prevent a civil war at this point. I don't think there's any stomach in the West for an intervention at this point, especially with the EU on the brink of a potential economic meltdown.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The Civil War seems inevitable at this point, but then it's just a matter of time before things spill over into Iraq, Turkey, Lebanon, and Israel. I can imagine Americans being whipped up to defend Israel, and Turkey is a NATO member, but Russia clearly doesn't want any kind of Western Operations so close to their turf.

Could the Russians wind up invading Syria as "peacekeepers"?

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

McDowell posted:

The Civil War seems inevitable at this point, but then it's just a matter of time before things spill over into Iraq, Turkey, Lebanon, and Israel. I can imagine Americans being whipped up to defend Israel, and Turkey is a NATO member, but Russia clearly doesn't want any kind of Western Operations so close to their turf.

Could the Russians wind up invading Syria as "peacekeepers"?

I don't think we'll get as far as that, even with Russia embracing a new attitude towards international relations it would be a very hard sell for Putin to explain away domestically. At the same time the prospect of this boiling over and sparking off a low grade regional war isn't that distant a possibility. Things in Lebanon are already tenser than they have been for a while.

I've got to imagine the pressure on the State Department in the US to find something, anything new that doesn't involve direct intervention is massive. The idea of the US and Russia supporting a Yemen style solution was floated and shot down rapidly, Russia simply isn't going to play ball. The statements from State today about the need for a political solution are well intentioned but I don't think anyone truly believes that'll happen at this point.

Comedy (allow me to reiterate, comedy) longshot outcome... Egypt under the auspices of Arab League sends peacekeepers in, the Syrian people are so grateful for the stability they bring that the United Arab Republic project lives again.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Patter Song posted:

EDIT: The point being that you can kill people on the top of the pyramid all you want, but as long as the fundamental underlying structure of the regime is intact, it'll regrow.

I know, I just have no love for oligarchs, and the House of Saud is a pretty obvious one.

As for a Russian military intervention I think it's one of many (bad) scenarios. With the global economy falling apart Putin could shore things up in Russia with a War Economy, he could make alot of noise about "asserting our strength" and the resulting economic boost could lead to domestic support. But the Russians could also be incredibly brutal and I don't think the US/NATO would stand for it.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

J33uk posted:

Comedy (allow me to reiterate, comedy) longshot outcome... Egypt under the auspices of Arab League sends peacekeepers in, the Syrian people are so grateful for the stability they bring that the United Arab Republic project lives again.

And then, fueled by brotherly love and good vibrations, Libya joins in to recreate the Federation of Arab Republics.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Did a couple more blog posts today:
Assad's Troops Allegedly Found In Possession of Anti-Nerve Gas Medication
5 Killed, 20 Injured After Bakery Shelled In Farhaneyeh, Homs

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Al-Saqr posted:

okay so who would be the least poo poo option for the saudi throne? between, say, the three or four closest in line

Sivias
Dec 12, 2006

I think we can just sit around and just talk about our feelings.
Just heard on AJE that said government forces were shelling eastern suburbs of Damascus today.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

There's been claims of more knife based massacres as well.

Does this photo scream "Photoshop" to anyone else?

[edit] Apparently not, there's a video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlwjzH4Bty4

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jun 16, 2012

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Brown Moses posted:

There's been claims of more knife based massacres as well.

Does this photo scream "Photoshop" to anyone else?

What does the caption say? "This kid enjoys getting shelled, look how happy he is! - your government."

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

It was tweeted along with something about his new toys he gets to play with.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

The Arabic is very dodgy, the first word is literally "al situation" yeah its transliterated english, the next is Al Maidany which means on the ground, and Homs has an extra letter that shouldn't be there in Arabic (the letter that corresponds to Waw).

حمص this is what it should like in Arabic and not حومص

Edit: Also arabic dates aren't right to left, its left to right, same for numbers.

Fizzil fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jun 17, 2012

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Bild am Sonntag reports that Saudi Arabia is looking to buy up to 600-800 Leopard 2 MBTs from Germany. Earlier they were looking for 300 Leopards while other option was US M1 Abrams, which the Saudis already have 373 of. So now they seem to have decided on Kraut Panzers. Lots of them.

There's just the problem that the previous export plan is still waiting for approval due to the human rights questions. Though a 10 billion euro deal should easily clear any peacenik obstacles... :killdozer:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Nenonen posted:

Bild am Sonntag reports that Saudi Arabia is looking to buy up to 600-800 Leopard 2 MBTs from Germany. Earlier they were looking for 300 Leopards while other option was US M1 Abrams, which the Saudis already have 373 of. So now they seem to have decided on Kraut Panzers. Lots of them.

The big reason is the fuel efficiency, which the Leopard 2's diesel engine is better in regards to the turbine engine of the Abrams. The Abrams is a notorious gashog: in the Gulf War, the advance of the Abrams was followed by gas tanker trucks so they could be refueled constantly. The same issue came up when Turkey was looking to modernize its armed forces and they passed on the Abrams for the Leopard 2 exactly for that reason. The Leopard 2 gets something like 1 mile per gallon, while the Abrams is 2 gallons per mile. I think General Dynamics was trying to make a diesel-engine conversion to the Abrams for the export market, but I suspect its still not ready for prime-time.

The big difference between diesels and turbines is that diesels are more fuel efficient and tend to run cooler than turbines, while turbines are quieter and, I think, have more acceleration.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jun 17, 2012

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Nenonen posted:

There's just the problem that the previous export plan is still waiting for approval due to the human rights questions. Though a 10 billion euro deal should easily clear any peacenik obstacles... :killdozer:

I really doubt they're getting anywhere near 10 billion, Western Europe has cut it's tank force so much post cold war, think 80% for Germany and 100% for the Netherlands, the world market is probably completely saturated with cheap western armor.

On a guess I'd say they're probably paying less than 2 billion. Which I suppose is even worse.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

AlexanderCA posted:

I really doubt they're getting anywhere near 10 billion, Western Europe has cut it's tank force so much post cold war, think 80% for Germany and 100% for the Netherlands, the world market is probably completely saturated with cheap western armor.

On a guess I'd say they're probably paying less than 2 billion. Which I suppose is even worse.

What are you basing your figure on? The article said that they were buying brand new vehicles, with special modifications to make them better suited for the climate, and the estimated worth would be 10 billion euros.

e: (well, the deal also includes some other services & equipment, but those must measure to peanuts compared to the tanks & climate packages themselves)

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jun 17, 2012

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Nenonen posted:

What are you basing your figure on? The article said that they were buying brand new vehicles, with special modifications to make them better suited for the climate, and the estimated worth would be 10 billion euros.

I'm pretty sure the European military-industrial complex is very much like the American military-industrial complex, gouging the consumer whenever they can. I've got no doubt Kraft-Mafftei, Rheinmetall, and the Bundeswehr are doing everything they can to sell the Saudis surplus Leopard 2s with new bolt-on armor and localization hardware that costs another 8 billion euros.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jun 17, 2012

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Nenonen posted:

It is also possible that this is a negotiation ploy in order to get a better price for more M1s. I'm sure the kickbacks and back-alley deals will flow like a river before this is decided.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Young Freud posted:

I'm pretty sure the European military-industrial complex is very much like the American military-industrial complex, gouging the consumer whenever they can. I've got no doubt Kraft-Mafftei, Rheinmetall, and the Bundeswehr are doing everything they can to sell the Saudis surplus Leopard 2s with new bolt-on armor and localization hardware that costs another 8 billion euros.

I've heard elsewhere that there are still warehouses throughout Western Europe full of 80s era Abrams and Bradleys in the old woodland camouflage. No proof, but I would not doubt it.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Al-Saqr posted:

Prince nayef bin abdel Aziz, heir to the Saudi throne and the extremely conservative head of both the intelligence services AND the religious police has died of illness, this is huge news and people feel both a huge shock since this is the second heir to die in the same year.

...Yeah, good riddance. Not that Mutaib's great, but pretty much anyone would have been a step up.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
So essentially, the Muslim Brotherhood is claiming Morsi is way ahead so far according to the vote count, Shafik is alleging voting violations, and SCAF is saying that it doesn't really matter, because it's writing the constitution and leaving itself in charge.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Just put together a lengthy blog post about the weapons being used by the FSA, and various other things they've thrown together, including a surprising amount of armoured cars, The Increasingly Well Armed FSA, And Other Oddities.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Xandu posted:

So essentially, the Muslim Brotherhood is claiming Morsi is way ahead so far according to the vote count, Shafik is alleging voting violations, and SCAF is saying that it doesn't really matter, because it's writing the constitution and leaving itself in charge.

are you loving kidding me
:qq: "abloo bloo they're not letting soldiers vote three or four times with the extra IDs i sent them, what has become of the republican principles modern egypt was founded upon"

then again considering the kind of elections this shithead's gotten used to, it's no wonder he's complaining

(not that i'm saying morsi is good, but yeah gently caress shafik)

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH

GreyjoyBastard posted:

...Yeah, good riddance. Not that Mutaib's great, but pretty much anyone would have been a step up.

I have friends spreading this on Facebook with a certain amount of glee. "Women shall not drive so long as I live" - Nayyef bin Abdul Aziz

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!
-- Edit (Updated results):

69% of results aggregated:

Morsi - 9,191,539 (53.9%)

Shafiq - 7,846,591 (46.1%)

9067 out of 13099 polling stations.

Ham fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jun 18, 2012

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Brown Moses posted:

There's been an interesting article on improvised Syrian weapons that's being discussed on Twitter, and one of activists posted this picture, which apparently is used to attack checkpoints:

Rare footage of this in action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2TTDkrSYqQ

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH
The FJP just announced Morsi won.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Shafik's campaign is saying they don't recognize it, awaiting official confirmation.

Mister Gopher
Oct 27, 2004
I eat my own poop
Soiled Meat
Egypt is gonna see some riots, that's for sure. Discounting the recent elections, violence, etc.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
Paul Danahar just posted on Twitter: If I'd have walked around #Tahrir square waving this story at people the day Mubarak quit no one would have gone home
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-18482257

Sigh. :(

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth
The Brothers' vote tallying has been pretty spot on so far so I don't doubt it this time tbh.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I will discuss and write about the Egypt and saudi situation but for now given this earth shaking event I would like the thread title change to:

Middle east wars: the revolution continues with a spare tire

(it's a play on mursi's nickname)

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

E:Need to read thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I could do with some help on this video, it claims to show captured Iranian soldiers in Syria
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQQ2cj-9BBs
You can watch it in HD to get a better look at their IDs, any additional info on this would be very useful, as you can imagine.

• Locked thread