Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
Could somebody tell me if her face is orange?

She looks okay on this screen but on other she comes across as rather orange, wanted to know how I should be calibrating my color:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
It's a little bit orange, yeah.

Also I would tone the blacks down a smidge, but that's just personal preference :)

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

QPZIL posted:

It's a little bit orange, yeah.

Also I would tone the blacks down a smidge, but that's just personal preference :)

Better?

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Much.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
So, I inherited a Polaroid Spectra 2 and like 5 rolls of film. Here's the problem: None of them come out. Are they that expired?

ass is my canvas
Jun 7, 2003

comin' down the street

the posted:

So, I inherited a Polaroid Spectra 2 and like 5 rolls of film. Here's the problem: None of them come out. Are they that expired?

I think the power supply is built into the film packet so it's long since dead. Or something like that I forget. Me and Guido tore one open for inspection and screamed at it like chimps at the monolith.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
You mean the exposed film popped out, but no image appeared?

There should be an expiry date on the package.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

spog posted:

You mean the exposed film popped out, but no image appeared?

There should be an expiry date on the package.

Yes.

It looks like all the batteries are dead. TIL that Polaroid film contains batteries which power the camera and development. That's so loving.... weird.

Oh well, looks like my only option now is horribly overpriced Impossible Project film.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
That's my purse! I don't know you!

the posted:

Oh well, looks like my only option now is horribly overpriced Impossible Project film.

Expensive does not mean overpriced. It's an enormous undertaking. If you would have preferred they could have never started the project and left you totally without anything at all. Well... unless you wanted to devote your own time, energy, and obvious chemical/engineering/manufacturing expertise plus start up cost in creating your own film.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

8th-samurai posted:

Snooted nearly on axis flash. Try using a speedlite on the hot shoe and setting the zoom as far as it will go while using a wide(ish) lens and you will get similar results. The effect can then be intensified in post with bumped contrast and some burning.

Okay this is me being French but nearly on axis means straight on the subject flash? And zoom as far = the more mm I can zoom or the wider I can zoom?

red19fire
May 26, 2010

xenilk posted:

Okay this is me being French but nearly on axis means straight on the subject flash? And zoom as far = the more mm I can zoom or the wider I can zoom?

On-Axis usually means that the flash is very close to the camera position, so that the flash is parallel or nearly parallel to the camera lens. This makes for harsh shadows an inch or so away from the subject on the background.

Zooming the flash means to increase the mm. The way it was explained to me, if you set the flash at 50mm and the camera lens is 50mm, the 'beam' of the flash will cover the same area as the lens produces on the film/sensor. If you zoom the flash to 105mm and shoot at 35mm, the flash will only light an area of light way smaller than the frame, similar to the vignette effect in the Lohan pictures above.

You could also visualize it as a group photo. If you were shooting with a 35mm lens, a flash set on 35mm will cover everyone in the photo, while 105mm will be like a spotlight on one or two people in the middle.

widunder
May 2, 2002
Just got my hands on a Zenit TTL for 12 euros, decent buy? Battery hatch is hosed but should be fine without it, right? Can I get a light meter for an Android or something instead, or should I just shoot wide open and just go 1/500 in decent daylight?

widunder
May 2, 2002
e: double post

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007
if the hardware on your phone is up to the task, you can definitely use an app for a light meter. Some phones (eg SGS-II) work up to ev16, my desire HD works to ev12. Not many phone light sensors go below ev4 or so, so they're a bit limiting when its really dark.

None of them (that I've found) work as a flash meter though, and that'll be a hardware limitation rather than a software one, so no getting around it.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

nemoulette posted:

Just got my hands on a Zenit TTL for 12 euros, decent buy? Battery hatch is hosed but should be fine without it, right? Can I get a light meter for an Android or something instead, or should I just shoot wide open and just go 1/500 in decent daylight?

Not sure how fast your lens is but 1/500 wide open will probably overexpose a bit in daylight unless you're using very slow film. The general rule for daylight is 1/ISO speed and f/16.

Regardless, $12 is a pretty good deal for any SLR with a lens thrown in.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

nemoulette posted:

should I just shoot wide open and just go 1/500 in decent daylight?
Shoot sunny sixteen 8)

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
I just got my camera stuff today (Sony a33, minolta 50/1.7 and 28-105), so I went out and took a couple of quick photos. The ones I took with the 50mm came out with a rainbow line that goes diagonally across the frame. What is this called, and how can I control it? All of these were taken around 5PM and are unedited

Example 1, facing southwest

Example 2, facing south

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

gwrtheyrn posted:

I just got my camera stuff today (Sony a33, minolta 50/1.7 and 28-105), so I went out and took a couple of quick photos. The ones I took with the 50mm came out with a rainbow line that goes diagonally across the frame. What is this called, and how can I control it? All of these were taken around 5PM and are unedited
It's called lens flare. Some lenses are worse than others. You can avoid it by using a lens hood or trying not to take pictures with a bright light source just out of the frame.

widunder
May 2, 2002

evil_bunnY posted:

Shoot sunny sixteen 8)
looking up all this stuff, thanks!

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer

Saint Fu posted:

It's called lens flare. Some lenses are worse than others. You can avoid it by using a lens hood or trying not to take pictures with a bright light source just out of the frame.
Or when you notice it cup your free hand between the sun and the lens where a lens hood would be.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I wish my lens flares were cool like rainbows, all I get is spots of different coloured light that inevitably show up near people's butts.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

HookShot posted:

I wish my lens flares were cool like rainbows, all I get is spots of different coloured light that inevitably show up near people's butts.

Could be swamp gas.

widunder
May 2, 2002

nemoulette posted:

broken two rolls so far, should i even bother with it? :(

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Help a photographer from out of town was given my name and asked me to assist on a shoot and asked what my assisting rate is!

I've never been an official "assistant" on a shoot, so I don't know what a standard rate is. $100 or so?

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

QPZIL posted:

Help a photographer from out of town was given my name and asked me to assist on a shoot and asked what my assisting rate is!

I've never been an official "assistant" on a shoot, so I don't know what a standard rate is. $100 or so?

How long is the shoot?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

xenilk posted:

How long is the shoot?

"Morning to early afternoon".

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

QPZIL posted:

"Morning to early afternoon".
Quote a full day (since you can't book anything that afternoon).

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

evil_bunnY posted:

Quote a full day (since you can't book anything that afternoon).

I agree with that. Charge a price you'd be comfortable charging for a whole day of work.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

QPZIL posted:

$250 to $300 minimum unless you're totally in the boonies. Editorial is on the lower end.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Giving him/her a lump-sum rate on something as vague as "morning to early afternoon" is a good way to find yourself $150 richer after working 7am to 2pm. I'd suggest a per-hour rate, maybe $50, but put a minimum on what you get paid, something like $150.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Christ I'm working in the wrong country

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
How does a Leica MP operate without batteries?

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Same as every camera that doesn't need batteries. Batteries only power the meter.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

FasterThanLight posted:

Same as every camera that doesn't need batteries. Batteries only power the meter.

Oh, weird, I thought it was digital. Nevermind, that's what I was confused about.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004
So I'm a beginner photographer. I've had my D5100 for about a year now and I mainly take action shots of my friends stunt riding their motorcycles. I've been asked by one of their sponsors to go to a big show next week and take pictures for them. I'm not getting paid or anything, but I want to do a good job. Here is a sample of the types of images that were captured last year :

http://www.summernationals.com/011imageviewer013.html

I don't want to toot my own horn, but I'm fairly confident that I can do much better than that.

I currently have the 18-55 kit lens, a 35/1.8 and a 55-200/4-5.6 . I also have an SB-700 but I am completely clueless with flash stuff.

I was considering renting a couple lenses for the weekend and was looking on some input as to which ones would suit me best for this type of event. I'm eyeballing the 70-200/2.8 and maybe a 10.5/2.8 for some real close stuff. I figure that with my 35 prime should be a decent combo.

Any thoughts or advice?

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

Paragon8 posted:

Christ I'm working in the wrong country

Curious, how much would you charge?

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

xenilk posted:

Curious, how much would you charge?

My day rate is basically 80-150 GBP

It can go up to like 250 if you're a digiop though, I need to sharpen up my c1 skills.

Paragon8 fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jun 26, 2012

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Legdiian posted:

Here is a sample of the types of images that were captured last year :

I don't want to toot my own horn, but I'm fairly confident that I can do much better than that.

Any thoughts or advice?

Those pictures are terrible. I am sure you can do better. I don't think you need any additional lenses.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
That's my purse! I don't know you!

Legdiian posted:

So I'm a beginner photographer. I've had my D5100 for about a year now and I mainly take action shots of my friends stunt riding their motorcycles. I've been asked by one of their sponsors to go to a big show next week and take pictures for them. I'm not getting paid or anything, but I want to do a good job. Here is a sample of the types of images that were captured last year :

I currently have the 18-55 kit lens, a 35/1.8 and a 55-200/4-5.6 . I also have an SB-700 but I am completely clueless with flash stuff.

I was considering renting a couple lenses for the weekend and was looking on some input as to which ones would suit me best for this type of event. I'm eyeballing the 70-200/2.8 and maybe a 10.5/2.8 for some real close stuff. I figure that with my 35 prime should be a decent combo.

Any thoughts or advice?

I'm guessing you shot shutter speed priority here. I personally would have gone manual (... I always shoot manual), the shots are very inconsistent. 10.5mm is REALLY WIDE.

Please present the photos in a thumbnail gallery or something, it's very annoying having to go one by one. Some photos are not rotated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I'm pretty sure those photos from last year aren't taken by him dude.