Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I don't even know if it's possible that Platinum will flop with a MGS game (and the only interesting looking Wii U game). If they do they're probably in trouble though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I think with a bit more marketing their games could sell well. They're really awesome gameplay wise, they just have this bad habit of only doing new untested IPs with no marketing budget that float under the radar. If they put out the gameplay they're known for with a known IP like Metal Gear I'd hope it sells better.

And if it doesn't, at least the game will probably be awesome while we all complain about how Platinum should do Zone of the Enders 3

Edit: If DmC doesn't sell well give Platinum Devil May Cry 5 please

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jun 19, 2012

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Yeah, Platinum Games just keeps getting slapped around when they try all these new things. The Anarchy Reigns delay in North America and Europe? Sega literally never told Platinum they were delaying it and so they have no idea when exactly the game will drop. They kind of strike me as the Japanese equivalent to Obsidian, in that "we're a really good company that has no control of our publisher" kind of way.

P-100 is probably going to get crushed too, but I'd be willing to bet Revengeance is going to be their new best seller.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I was disappointed with the Anarchy Reigns delay, but with a clear head now, I can see Sega does care about Platinum's creations. If they didn't they would never had bothered localizing any of them when they all bombed, nor would they have continued to finance said projects. The localization delay is due to Sega's current financial woes and the fact they would rather wait than outright cancel it paints a different picture than outright malice or incompetence.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Policenaut posted:

P-100 is probably going to get crushed too, but I'd be willing to bet Revengeance is going to be their new best seller.

I'd really like P-100 to do well but you're probably right. Games that aren't Nintendo franchises tedn to not do so well on non-handheld Nintendo consoles.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Policenaut posted:

I can't find the quote right now, but I swear I once read something from an SoA executive who was quoted along the lines of "Platinum's games make us look good so we foot the bill".

That's a bit more reassuring, then. It sucks that Platinum appears to be getting caught up in sales-massaging to help different quarters, but if that's the likely reason then it indicates Sega feels like Max Anarchy will have enough sales to matter. Maybe they'll even advertise it!

I didn't know P* had anything in the pipeline after Revengeance, but p-100 looks pretty nifty. I wasn't planning on getting a wii-u but maybe I can convince my girlfriend to pick one up.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

P-100 looks really nifty. I wish it was coming out for more platforms than just Wii-U.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

I'm really impressed with how much Platinum Games gets done for such a small Japanese studio. I mean Vanquish came out at the end of 2010 and already they have three new games set to release this year, Anarchy Reigns, Metal Gear Rising and P-100. The guys there just crank out great game after great game. I sure hope they find time to sleep and see their families :ohdear:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

MUFFlNS posted:

I'm really impressed with how much Platinum Games gets done for such a small Japanese studio. I mean Vanquish came out at the end of 2010 and already they have three new games set to release this year, Anarchy Reigns, Metal Gear Rising and P-100. The guys there just crank out great game after great game. I sure hope they find time to sleep and see their families :ohdear:
Working in Japan? Not likely

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

MUFFlNS posted:

That's how they keep getting work though. There's a lot of heavy duty talent in that company from when Capcom and other Japanese companies were at the absolute top of their game. I feel like they're the only developer in Japan right now that can straight up be choosy and are respected enough for that to not kill them off. So you have Platinum making your game if you want the talents of a particular person (Shinji Mikami and the other initial founders of it were all EXTREMELY cynical about Capcom and the other big Japanese companies so they're probably a pretty tightly knit group that wants to work together as long as possible).

Can you imagine any other developer rolling up to Kojima and just saying "hey man remember that Metal Gear game your team was too incompetent to make while you were making Peacewalker that you just never mention at all now out of shame instead of announcing its cancellation?" and him just being like "Okay cool it's not cancelled now here's money and time." I feel like even if the sales aren't amazing the individuals within Platinum are respected enough that they can still have a few more instances of doing whatever they want before anyone in the industry really holds them accountable. It doesn't hurt that their games are generally outstanding either of course.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jun 19, 2012

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Neo Rasa posted:

Like can you imagine any other developer rolling up to Kojima and just saying "hey man remember that Metal Gear game your team was too incompetent to make while you were making Peacewalker that you just never mention at all now out of shame instead of announcing its cancellation?" and him just being like "Okay cool it's not cancelled now here's money and time."

Didn't Kojima and Konami approach Platinum with MGR? I'm too tired to look it up but I thought they worked that out together.

edit: Yeah they did

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Policenaut posted:

Didn't Kojima and Konami approach Platinum with MGR? I'm too tired to look it up but I thought they worked that out together.

edit: Yeah they did

Every other article I have checked about this (including that Eurogamer one with Kojima himself talking about it) implies that some people from Platinum expressed interest in the game first and liking the concept and such after it was quietly canned, which is what lead to him/Konami approaching them about it. Either way I'm much more interested in the game now that Platinum is handling it.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jun 19, 2012

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Neo Rasa posted:

Every other article I have checked about this (including that Eurogamer one with Kojima himself talking about it) implies that some people from Platinum expressed interest in the game first and liking the concept and such after it was quietly canned, which is what lead to him/Konami approaching them about it.

Oh, I didn't know that they liked the game originally or anything. I've been up like 28 hours and really didn't feel up to researching more beyond "Kojima approach Platinum" on Google. :sweatdrop:

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Saoshyant posted:

I was disappointed with the Anarchy Reigns delay, but with a clear head now, I can see Sega does care about Platinum's creations. If they didn't they would never had bothered localizing any of them when they all bombed, nor would they have continued to finance said projects. The localization delay is due to Sega's current financial woes and the fact they would rather wait than outright cancel it paints a different picture than outright malice or incompetence.

Releasing "weird anime game" in Q1 2013 against all of the massive releases happening in the same period is fully the definition of incompetence.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

tooooooo bad posted:

Releasing "weird anime game" in Q1 2013 against all of the massive releases happening in the same period is fully the definition of incompetence.

It's a violent beat'em up that's a lot like Power Stone, it will actually do better in the US than you think. Not releasing it now is for the same reason no one's releasing anything now, the economy sucks and this is an especially bad spring/summer for GameStop/etc. No one's buying games right now, hyped or not. Even Lego Batman 2 (a game with both Lego and BATMAN in its name) was rumored to be pushed to September at one point. With only one new system coming out this holiday though people that are interested in games will have more money to blow on games for the current hardware during and after Christmas. It's actually fairly common delay time, Activision's the only company that really builds their games around the release dates from the ground up. Other company's will delay or suddenly rush a game when they decided it suddenly needs to be released at the start of the next quarter to save them, but the number of games that are mostly complete but sort of sit around for a bit isn't just a Sega thing. The majority of non-sports games published by 2K/Bethesda went through a similar process.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jun 19, 2012

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

It's a violent beat'em up that's a lot like Power Stone, it will actually do better in the US than you think. Not releasing it now is for the same reason no one's releasing anything now, the economy sucks and this is an especially bad spring/summer for GameStop/etc. No one's buying games right now, hyped or not. Even Lego Batman 2 (a game with both Lego and BATMAN in its name) was rumored to be pushed to September at one point. With only one new system coming out this holiday though people that are interested in games will have more money to blow on games for the current hardware during and after Christmas. It's actually fairly common delay time, Activision's the only company that really builds their games around the release dates from the ground up. Other company's will delay or suddenly rush a game when they decided it suddenly needs to be released at the start of the next quarter to save them, but the number of games that are mostly complete but sort of sit around for a bit isn't just a Sega thing. The majority of non-sports games published by 2K/Bethesda went through a similar process.

The game is going to bomb in the US (I think it will in any case) but even more so because the competition in the first half of 2013 is going to be insane as the last wave of AAA games come out and try to beat the release of Orbis and Durango. Bioshock: Infinite, Tomb Raider, Gears of War: Judgement, God of War: Ascension, Dead Space 3, Splinter Cell: Blacklist, Crysis 3 and The Last of Us are all slotted for that window.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Yeah seriously, at this point Q1 is usually even more packed with AAA games that Q4 is, due to how many huge releases now get slotted for release after Christmas rather than before.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Going to start calling it the "Call of Duty" effect. Nothing wants to go up against it. Games that would normally come out in November all get pushed back to early next year.

The only game slated to come out after Black Ops 2 is Hitman. Poor Hitman.

Harlock fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jun 19, 2012

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Harlock posted:

Going to start calling it the "Call of Duty" effect. Nothing wants to go up against it. Games that would normally come out in November all get pushed back to early next year.

The only game slated to come out after Black Ops 2 is Hitman. Poor Hitman.

The week after CoD is the traditional Assassin's Creed window and it actually does quite well there but AC3 is releasing in October this year. Hitman has a chance. Anything in October or November before Thanksgiving in the US with a Tuesday to itself will do numbers. Too bad Dishonored and XCom Enemy Unknown come out the same day then! :argh:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Call of Duty certainly is incredible, there hasn't ever been an entertainment product like it, really. I wonder if it will ever run out of steam, or just basically define video games in America forever?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Call of Duty certainly is incredible, there hasn't ever been an entertainment product like it, really. I wonder if it will ever run out of steam, or just basically define video games in America forever?

It will probably eventually. It's a strong IP but its primary selling factor more than anything else is "the game everyone else is playing." That isn't to say it is good or bad, but that it is the same that people know other people are playing. Eventually something will come along that probably eclipses it or siphons off the numbers.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jun 19, 2012

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.
Is the series still ramping up? Did MW3 sell as well as or better than its predecessors? The feeling I get is that people are getting tired of the franchise, but I don't actually know how well it sold.

I lost interest when MW2 was announced, but I know I'm in the minority. v:shobon:v

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

MW3 did outsell its predecessors and Black Ops 2 topped MW3's first-day preorders (and had ten times the first-day preorders of the first Blops). It is absolutely still growing.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

COD is kind of neat in that Treyarch actually seems to try with their games. Black Ops had some interesting stuff and Black Ops 2 with its whole semi-non linear campaign and RTS stuff sounds kind of nice. Even if it is the brownest game on Earth.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Activision has 5 studios working on cranking out Call of Duty stuff. Infinity Ward, Neversoft, Treyarch, Raven Software, and Sledgehammer Games. That's a lot of resources. It's a juggernaut.

The games themselves sell like gangbusters plus they have alternate revenue streams with both piecemeal DLC and by buying CoD Elite. A year of which is basically another game sale at $50.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
One thing is for sure, CoD and games like it are definitely the overwhelming image of American games to the Japanese, at least, and I suspect other foreigners as well. And it's not a very good image. Of course we see Final Fantasy and all its tropes the same way over here.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

I think the thing with COD is that love it or hate it, they really do give you a great package with a lot of content crammed in there for your money.

I mean the singleplayer averages what, 8 hours? But it's non-stop action all the way through with high production values and unlike many other games, there's never a dull moment. It's really great fun. Then they give a fully fleshed out co-op mode too, and a really deep multiplayer component crammed with content and modes and all sorts. Whereas most games will give a tacked-on co-op mode, and the multiplayer will be pretty barebones (2 or 3 modes, maybe 8 levels) COD just goes all out and has a unique co-op mode with a lot to do, and the multiplayer is crammed full of modes and a crazy amount of multiplayer maps (what does it average, 16? 18?).

I can certainly see why people dislike COD, but it's easy to see why so many love it. They just work really hard to cover all three bases that people could want with a game, great singleplayer/co-op/multiplayer, and it all sees a lot of love and attention. Nobody else in the business does that, and that's why none of them see the success that COD does. The fact that it runs at a rock solid 60fps and doesn't have an online pass certainly helps too though. They just give their customers a ridiculous amount of content for the money that they pay.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Harlock posted:

Activision has 5 studios working on cranking out Call of Duty stuff. Infinity Ward, Neversoft, Treyarch, Raven Software, and Sledgehammer Games. That's a lot of resources. It's a juggernaut.

The games themselves sell like gangbusters plus they have alternate revenue streams with both piecemeal DLC and by buying CoD Elite. A year of which is basically another game sale at $50.

Infinity Ward still exists?! I always hear jokes like "Whoa IW sent out their janitor" and the like whenever at an E3 conference or whatever you hear "And here's <some dude> from Infinity Ward!"

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

MUFFlNS posted:

I mean the singleplayer averages what, 8 hours? But it's non-stop action all the way through with high production values and unlike many other games, there's never a dull moment.

I can certainly see why people dislike COD, but it's easy to see why so many love it. They just work really hard to cover all three bases that people could want with a game, great singleplayer/co-op/multiplayer,

For me that's the problem with the SP. It's just all Level 1:blatblatblatRUNOVERTHEREblatblatarghyoushotmeNEXTLEVEL
Level 2:Shh let's be sneaky and crawl ou- oh poo poo they saw us! blatblatblatRUNOVERTHEREblatblatarghyoushotmeNEXTLEVEL

I love gunfire and loud noises and explosions but jeez guys, tone it down a bit. I never checked out MW3 cause BLOPS, MW2 and MW just burnt me out.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

I quite like the way COD varies the gameplay in the singleplayer :shobon: The way they mix up sneaking and action and traveling around the world, in many ways it's kinda like playing as James Bond, just without the girls.

Speaking of Activision though, it appears that Tony Hawks Pro Skater HD is a timed exclusive on Xbox Live Arcade. Great to see that Microsoft is still paying for poo poo like this rather than oh I dunno, maybe funding some actual exclusive games for their console. Was really looking forward to playing that game :(

Dadjacket
Jul 23, 2004

HIPSTER PITCHFORK CARDIGAN SCARF
I don't understand the control issues that people have with inFamous?? it's got a little jank I suppose but I have never had as much fun getting around in a game as I do with inFamous. It's an open world platformer where I can ride power lines and jet across the city from rooftop to rooftop! Really quickly!

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Policenaut posted:

Infinity Ward still exists?! I always hear jokes like "Whoa IW sent out their janitor" and the like whenever at an E3 conference or whatever you hear "And here's <some dude> from Infinity Ward!"

Infinity Ward exists in name only mostly. Pretty much everyone who used to matter left over the contract disputes a long time ago.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Dadjacket posted:

I don't understand the control issues that people have with inFamous?? it's got a little jank I suppose but I have never had as much fun getting around in a game as I do with inFamous. It's an open world platformer where I can ride power lines and jet across the city from rooftop to rooftop! Really quickly!

I'm having real difficulty with aiming in inFamous 2. Sort of like that issue people reported with Uncharted 3. I want to aim in certain directions and for some reason the controls do something else, like I want to aim to the upper left and sometimes it just goes straight up or in reverse. It's really infuriating.

time is a wastin
Sep 11, 2011
I only played the first bit of MW3's single player cause it was super duper shooting-galleryish, was the whole thing like that? I played through all the previous ones and thought they were pretty fun streamlined action games, but figured they basically just gave up on single player w/ the new one so I didnt bother much with it.

e: Tho I'm also loving Max Payne 3 single player, and thats probably even worst wrt the gallery effect.. so maybe I just wasnt feeling it at the time.

time is a wastin fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jun 19, 2012

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Re: Call of Duty

The singleplayer isn't anything remarkable these days. They attempt to go for these big set pieces but they just fall flat and are boring in a way that you didn't think action sequences could be. They were pretty novel and interesting early on in the franchise's history, but now they're commonplace and expected. They lose the punch and effect that was intended. Watching E3 this year when the main character in Black Ops 2 gets in a fighter jet sounds like it should be exciting, but the on rails nature of the game (with the illusion of freedom by braking/accelerating) just comes off looking lame. Not to mention that the AI from both your teammates and enemies is very poor. The video of someone finishing the first level of Black Ops without firing a shot is pretty funny/sad.

Modern Warfare is approaching 5 years old now and the series just feels tired. I get the appeal of the series and I once enjoyed it incessantly a while back. I appreciate that they try to have a co-op campaign when many games just eschew it. I'm still waiting for a Rainbow Six Vegas 3 that may never come :(.

I think the game could use a break between titles. Let the series breathe a bit. I understand it's a business and money is going to be made when money can be made. The changes from title to title might mean something when more time is given between them. Another thing I'd like to see them try is just having a multiplayer only title at a cheaper price point. The singleplayer can just be thrown out the window as far as I'm concerned.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

OneDeadman posted:

Infinity Ward exists in name only mostly. Pretty much everyone who used to matter left over the contract disputes a long time ago.

With how decent both MW3 and Black Ops turned out, I'm actually skeptical that Respawn will do any better. It's kind of weird that EA made a big deal about getting those guys and we haven't heard a single peep about what they might be doing.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

Dadjacket posted:

For me it was a combination of the aforementioned bugginess (seriously, I haven't heard of falling through the ground in a game since, like...I dunno, Haze?) and the fact that I played the Assassin's Creed series first and it seems to do parkour a lot better. I can't describe why, exactly, but it feels like inFamous needs a priority system or something, like if Cole is jumping towards the corner of a building and a wire, sometimes he'll hit the wire, sometimes he'll grab the corner of the building, when pretty much every time I just want him to hit the wire.

There are some instances (like the last Satellite Uplink mission) where precision is absolutely required, and Cole just likes to do stupid things like grabbing onto roof huts or something instead of MOVING. Most of the time in AC when I die it feels like my fault. Most of the time when I die (or screw up) in inFamous, it feels like the game's fault.

To be fair, though, I'm having a much easier time in inFamous 2.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

DrNutt posted:

With how decent both MW3 and Black Ops turned out, I'm actually skeptical that Respawn will do any better. It's kind of weird that EA made a big deal about getting those guys and we haven't heard a single peep about what they might be doing.

Yeah it's funny how that turned out, but by far the absolute worst game in the series was MW2, and since Activision got rid of those guys, the quality of COD games has increased significantly. It pretty much speaks for itself doesn't it?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
We'll see about that after Black Ops 2 comes out. What they showed at E3 looked absolutely abysmal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Not CoD specifically, I am wondering if America will ever bore of the whole modern military FPS genre itself, of if it will just go on forever.

• Locked thread