Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

zrrgin posted:

So what is Spidey's japanese name? I heard 'super' somewhere.

Super Kumongah. You can see it in one of the game screens (6:51). The smaller spiders along the way are called Kumongah, and it's a bigger version, hence Super Kumongah. The other bosses, like Fangs (Super Dracula) and Robby (Super Eye-Zack) follow the same naming scheme.

I'll get bigger versions of the pics I've drawn next time I get access to the computer I drew them on. I wish I could do episode-specific fanart for releases more often, but I either don't have the time or can't think of any ideas most of the time. If I had no qualms about lack of originality I'd just draw Arino dying a horrible death or Arino killing something horribly in every game. It would've been extremely easy to draw something equally horrific and bloody for the next episode release but I resisted.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jun 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

drat! That'll teach me to reply before actually watching the episode. Sorry about that. Context is indeed king.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
"Horrific and bloody" are not things I want to associate with the beloved Kacho, friend to all. :cry:

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

zari-gani posted:

I'll get bigger versions of the pics I've drawn next time I get access to the computer I drew them on. I wish I could do episode-specific fanart for releases more often, but I either don't have the time or can't think of any ideas most of the time. If I had no qualms about lack of originality I'd just draw Arino dying a horrible death or Arino killing something horribly in every game. It would've been extremely easy to draw something equally horrific and bloody for the next episode release but I resisted.

You should at least do fanart for #100 Wrecking Crew. It is a big milestone episode. You could do fanart for Wrecking Crew or something for being episode #100.

Alzabo
Oct 23, 2002

You watched it, you can't unwatch it.
Thanks for Ep 99!

Hearing Arino read out Nakamori Akina's name during a segment was a serious flashback.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
Once again, thank you Team SAGCCX for the new episode. I feel like it's getting old thanking you guys every time you release a new episode, but the work you guys do and the fact that you're doing something I almost gave up hope on happening before the project started makes me feel that you deserve it. :)

Rainbow Islands really does look hard as hell. I barely played the ROM of it, but I don't think I got past the first level since I expected it to be more like Bubble Bobble (which it is similar to, but didn't seem as fun).

2l2q
Sep 5, 2011
This Rainbow Island episode is crazy tense! Great stuff, thanks to the team for all the recent translations.
P.S. Battletoads? :frogc00l:

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

The Pilotwings episode was actually better than I expected. One of the few where I'm there going AAAGH and wincing when he fucks up, and being all YEAAAAH and fistpumping when he wins.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I wasn't really looking forward to watching Pilotwings as I stayed up and watched most of that live version from awhile back, but wow, did he somehow get a different set of stages or something? I totally don't remember seeing the snow stage during the live at all, and I remember hours and hours on some nighttime military stage...maybe I just can't remember it because of the duration of the same stuff while I was half asleep.

makere
Jan 14, 2012

Light Gun Man posted:

I wasn't really looking forward to watching Pilotwings as I stayed up and watched most of that live version from awhile back, but wow, did he somehow get a different set of stages or something? I totally don't remember seeing the snow stage during the live at all, and I remember hours and hours on some nighttime military stage...maybe I just can't remember it because of the duration of the same stuff while I was half asleep.

He played the expert levels on the live challenge.

Malorie
Jun 2, 2008

Oh god... I think there's someone... Behind me!
The ending they showed in Rainbow Islands makes me curious, is that the best ending for the NES/Famicom version?

I remember the arcade version being full of crazy secrets that you needed for the best ending... something like seven big diamonds, the rainbow rod, as well as three mirrors... and not only that, but you had to play through an extra four 'worlds' at the end too, which you needed some kind of item to unlock.

Does all of that hidden content exist in the home version? Or did they simply decide to not attempt the 'true' ending and secret world, and just get a 'good' ending, due to how difficult it is to get there?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

The ending seemed to imply that a diamond rod was missing in the treasure haul?

Speaking of, what's the benefit of choosing the chests instead of talking after bosses?

makere
Jan 14, 2012
This is just a small suggestion, and I mostly just want to show off my folders, but how about adding an episode numbering to the end of folders on torrents that have folders?

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Malorie posted:

The ending they showed in Rainbow Islands makes me curious, is that the best ending for the NES/Famicom version?

I remember the arcade version being full of crazy secrets that you needed for the best ending... something like seven big diamonds, the rainbow rod, as well as three mirrors... and not only that, but you had to play through an extra four 'worlds' at the end too, which you needed some kind of item to unlock.

Does all of that hidden content exist in the home version? Or did they simply decide to not attempt the 'true' ending and secret world, and just get a 'good' ending, due to how difficult it is to get there?

I just checked GameFAQs, looks like getting all the diamonds opens up an 8th stage that wasn't mentioned and that's the best ending for the NES version.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."
Inoko MAX is fighting the final boss from World 8, so he played through the extra world at the end. In the arcade mode, there are 3 extra worlds instead of just one, but there's only one in the Japanese NES version.

I think they might not have realized you also can collect seven gems and spell Rainbow in World 8 too. I think this is what makes the diamond rod spawn on the end screen. Here's a video of that happening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQR9divgeYg

However, the European NES version has some stuff which isn't in the Japanese and US NES versions, so that ending might not be in his copy of the game.

Plasquatch
Mar 21, 2007

Yo, PM3:00 desu ka?
For those of you who were wondering: yes, the boss of Arkanoid World is Doh.

There are also levels based on KiKi KaiKai/Pocky and Rocky and Darius.

Malorie
Jun 2, 2008

Oh god... I think there's someone... Behind me!

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

Inoko MAX is fighting the final boss from World 8, so he played through the extra world at the end. In the arcade mode, there are 3 extra worlds instead of just one, but there's only one in the Japanese NES version.

I think they might not have realized you also can collect seven gems and spell Rainbow in World 8 too. I think this is what makes the diamond rod spawn on the end screen. Here's a video of that happening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQR9divgeYg

However, the European NES version has some stuff which isn't in the Japanese and US NES versions, so that ending might not be in his copy of the game.

Ah, thanks for that!

It does seem likely that the best ending was in their version, but they probably thought that they had already obtained all the necessary items after getting all seven big diamonds, and didn't attempt getting all the diamonds on the 8th world. Either that, or it was like the arcade version where it disables continues on the secret worlds, and they didn't want to risk dying and getting a Game Over.

I just looked up the arcade version for comparison, which had...
- Worlds 1-7 as standard, with big diamonds if you obtained all the small diamonds in those worlds. If you don't get all seven big diamonds, you get a bad ending, and a hint towards getting the big diamonds.
- Worlds 8-10, which you can only reach with all seven big diamonds. The last three islands rise out of the water when you beat World 7, and you move straight onto them. This time, by getting all seven small diamonds on each world, you get a mirror instead of a big diamond.
- As for the rod... I can't tell if you just get it by default when beating the final boss, or if you have to access the 'secret room' on the last boss. To reach the secret room on any world, you have to get all seven small diamonds in order from red to violet. (All the good ending playthroughs aim for the secret room for the sake of completion, so I have no idea if it's necessary on the final world, as I have nothing to compare it to!)
- Once all of those conditions are met... seven big diamonds, three mirrors, and the rod... only then do you get the good ending.

So many secrets in such a simple-seeming game!
If you want to see the arcade version of the best ending, it's on youtube.

ZackHoagie
Dec 25, 2007

now eat him.
Emoto calling it a "truly worthless ending" is the closest anyone's ever got to straight up burning Arino. I love it.

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!
drat, that game. Brings back memories. Mainly of me hating it because my brother would play nothing else on our old Spectrum. Good game though. I think the Spectrum version must have been easier though, and it didn't have things like the inter-level chats.

Great episode, thanks for translating! Arino's fish bait was a highlight. :)

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

geri_khan posted:

drat, that game. Brings back memories. Mainly of me hating it because my brother would play nothing else on our old Spectrum. Good game though. I think the Spectrum version must have been easier though, and it didn't have things like the inter-level chats.

I think those scenes only play if you have collected all the diamonds in a world.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

When the show started I'm sure they never thought it would reach 100 episodes. Look at how many times it's been canceled only to rise from the ashes. So for episode number 100 they break out a game that has 100 levels: Wrecking Crew.

This release also marks the 100th translated Game Center CX. If you were to start watching Game Center CX right now from the beginning and watch everything released it would take nearly four days before you finished.

Bringing this ultimate episode to you is the ultimate translator: zari-gani!

Season 12 Collection
Download torrent81 (11 files; 4.40 GB)
View torrent stats

Just episode 100
Download torrent81 (1 files; 704.77 MB)
View torrent stats

(Direct Download)

That wraps up season twelve but to avoid problems with the torrent I'm not going to bundle these up until this episode is nicely seeded. Make sure you have all of the season 12 episodes in the same directory since I'll be posting the full season torrent later on tonight.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jun 20, 2012

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

geri_khan posted:

I liked Abe's sotto voce "Don't listen to him." Abe's delivery is delicious, ever so slightly singsongy; it reminded me a lot of his narrating his cooking lessons.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Holy crap. :neckbeard:

Also I showed my friends GCCX this weekend via Adventure Island. They loved it. :)

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
You guys are spoiling us in the best way possible. :3:

Jest3
Apr 27, 2010
Thank you so much!
Really like the art for the episodes.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
We finally get to see episode #100 subbed. I watched the episode raw a few times before. Lots of great extras for a big milestone episode. #50 is South Korea Trip. #100 is the Wrecking Crew episode. #150 is coming up soon. Hope to see another great special at that time.

I also did not realize that this is the 100th subbed episode. Great timing on the last 3 releases.

joek0 fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jun 19, 2012

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Obeast posted:

You guys are spoiling us in the best way possible. :3:

I don't like to give away too much about what's coming up but...

By the end of the week you will see Abe fire a bazooka at a dinosaur.

If that's not giving the fans what they want I don't know what is.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
Congrats on all the 100s! I love this show and I love you guys.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Malorie posted:

Yup! After getting all seven diamonds and clearing the eighth world, you get to CHOOSE YOUR ENDING!

If you choose to either be famous or a millionaire, then it says "and then you became famous/became a millionaire but you were miserable forever," wasting your time and sending you back to the title screen, but if you choose to save your friends, you get the real best ending and Bub says "I have a lump in my throat!"

k3nn
Jan 20, 2007
You guys are incredible. Thanks so much for everything :)

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

Random Stranger posted:

I have a memory of seeing this recently, but I can't remember anything about the episode except that. :dance:

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

If that is the episode I think it is (#78 Fukuoka and GCCX ANC2 Tour), I can't wait. Great special episode. More Watanabe footage. When you said more Watanabe coming, I hope to see more stuff from season 11 episodes. Not counting the upcoming episode, there are 2 episodes left for season 12. Super Gussun Oyoyo and Dig Dug 2 are both great episodes.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
That is amazing art, I love Arino with a 'stache.

Jimmy Colorado
Apr 16, 2010
Wowee. Top-shelf effort, all around.

More than anything, these last episodes have gotten the "I don't remember that game being that hard" head-scratcher from me, only to load up the rom and be weeping within minutes.

Pilotwings! :arghfist:

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks everyone for everything. The more deluges of GCCX, the better.

Joshuadel
Sep 2, 2011

Drop in a token, look at a duck
Just my luck, the current deluge coincides with finals week. Is it unethical to give all of my students Bs just so I can start watching sooner?

In all seriousness, here's my thanks to add to the pile, SAGCCX crew. You spoil us all.

CaptLtrl
Sep 2, 2011
Just wanted to pop in again and give my thanks for all the work you guys have done translating this awesome series. Thank you all very much! :D

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I think we've got enough seeds in place now for the episode only torrent that I can do this.

This torrent is all of the unlicensed episodes for season 12:

Download torrent81 (11 files; 4.40 GB)
View torrent stats

I'm going to recommend that people use this torrent instead of the single episode ones from this point on since it will help get the episodes to everyone.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006

Joshuadel posted:

Just my luck, the current deluge coincides with finals week. Is it unethical to give all of my students Bs just so I can start watching sooner?
Show them the episode and quiz them on it for extra credit after the actual final. That way, you can watch it and still give your students their final. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

All hail the deluge!

Noticed something weird with the Japanese in Rainbow Islands, in that they refer to "えーぼたん" (eh-botan) and "びーぼたん" (bii-botan) in the game text to refer to "A Button" and "B Button". Is this something just this game did, or is it a common-ish thing in old games?