Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
king of no pants
Mar 10, 2007

i'm watchin'
you post
I remember buying this game on a whim shortly after its release and being totally blown away by how awesome the art was. I mean, sure it's not perfect or anything, but it had a lot of detail for a next-gen JRPG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Raven had better not make a Face Heel Turn and leave the party forever the way the situation is currently implying, because he has the best loving lines.

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

There's a Monopenguin! :swoon:
Immediately after this scene, I got some cutscene from a side quest I completed. This side quest cutscene had the whole party in it. Needless to say, I was very confused.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
Yeah they forgot to put some checks on sidequests during this part. In fact the Dark Enforcer sidequest at Mantaic (The desert town) that triggers from spending the night there will actually put Raven and Estelle back into the party formation.

KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

A real avatar never dies, even when it's replaced!

Vil posted:

Raven had better not make a Face Heel Turn and leave the party forever the way the situation is currently implying, because he has the best loving lines.

I'm sure he wont. I think there's more to him than he's letting on though.

Also, when's the next Mystic Arte that we'll get?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Very very soon.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Last time, Estelle and Raven disappeared from Myorzo with no trace. Myorzo's Entelexeia told us he felt something in the direction of a desert town, probably Yormgen.

...Something feels off here.

Watch the cutscene!

What's happening?
What's going on? It's just a pile of ruins...
This didn't just happen in a few days... This is, like, hundreds of years.
Quiet. Someone's here.

This could be our clue about the Rizomata Formula!
That's...the dragon from the Weasand of Cados.
He's traveling with Duke, huh?

Duke takes off.

I've got questions for that guy, but we have to find Estelle first...

There's no time. This isn't what I would have chosen, but so be it.
Alexei. What are you doing here...?
Ah, looking for the Princess? I'm impressed you found your way here.
Do you know where Estelle is?!

Wh-what do you think you're doing?!
Urgh!
Is this your idea of a joke, Commandant?
I am at a loss as to how to thank you.

Ragou and Barbos did serve my purposes, but you... I really must commend your work. You're some of the most talented and foolish performers I've seen.

However, the time for fooling around is over. It is time for you to exit the stage.
So that's it, huh?

Humph. And yet another fool arrives.
Flynn...
Commandant! How could you?! You're the pride of the Imperial Knights. How could you commit treason...?
This is not treason. I am merely following the path of one who holds true authority.
And you just intend to betray the trust of His Highness Ioder?!
His Highness... Yes, I think he'll be relinquishing his rank soon.

Yeager!
Well done. I am headed for Baction as planned. I will leave this situation to you. ...And Ioder's fate as well.
Ja, you bet, milord.

Yuri and Flynn start chasing after Alexei, but get cut off.

Stand back.
If you try to stop us...
Get the hell out of the way!

What did you say?!
You'll be too late if you don't hurry.

Yeager and his girls disappear in a puff of smoke.

Sir!
Yuri, come on!

Yuri...?

Yuri walks closer to Flynn, staring at him angrily.

...The Shrine of Baction is said to be located on the Hypionian continent.
Hypionia... The continent east of Desier. The Egothor Forest is there.
Are we actually gonna trust what Yeager said?!
If that's where Alexei is headed, then Estelle's got to be there!
We don't have much information, so I guess we'll just have to go check it out.
But what about Raven?

No... Raven... He wouldn't do that...
Well, the facts are that she's been kidnapped, and he's nowhere to be seen!
I mean, that's only logical, right?!

...Well, whatever. Let's get going! ...Yuri?

...Flynn. A word?
Very well. Let's talk over there.

Watch the cutscene!

What happened to advancing as a Knight and fixing the empire from within? You've been nothing more than a drat puppet on Alexei's string. Don't you dare tell me that the Don and Belius died for nothing more than that!
He was there working alongside you this whole time, Flynn! How could you possibly not know?!

Why, though? Did you go along with it because Ioder trusted Alexei?
His Highness is not to blame. I had total confidence in Alexei. The responsibility is mine.
So your pursuit of the apatheia at Nordopolica was on Alexei's orders, I presume.
Yeah...

There's no reason to worry about exposing the "Commandant" now.
The conversion of Heliord into a military installation, the abuse of the residents at Mantaic... All of Cumore's activities, the forbidden development of new blastia...

The Commandant...Alexei was not always this way! You, of all people, should remember. Those who are just will lead lives of prosperity. That was the ideal Alexei once held dear. That was why I...
But all it's done for you is help you lose sight of your original intentions.

No. That never would have happened if I hadn't been blind to Alexei's true nature. I had grown far too used to simply obeying orders like a good knight, even when I doubted them. It was my lack of thought that brought this about...!

No, it is as she says. I must shoulder this responsibility. It is up to me to rescue Lady Estellise. Witcher, Sodia... Until then, help Yuri and his friends protect Master Ioder.
Whoa, what?!

I am duty-bound to correct this wrong by saving her.
Captain! What should be done about His Highness?! If anything were to happen to him, the empire...
I know. That's why this brigade is concentrating all our efforts on ensuring his safety.
But Captain...!
drat it, Flynn...

Brave Vesperia's going to rescue Estelle. You've got your own things to worry about. Y'know, like... ...taking care of the little prince and all that.
Yuri...!

...All right.

Same here.

Flynn and his subordinates run off.

Yeah. It's taken a while, but everything points back to him. All right! Next stop, the Shrine of Baction.

Skit: Payback
Just who does that idiot Commandant think he is?
Barbos, Ragou, even Yeager. Alexei was behind all of them.
And now he's taken Estelle!
I won't let him do this!
I am gonna rip him to shreds the moment we get Estelle away from him!
He must receive his due punishment. We can't let him get away!
...He's evil. That's all there is to it. And he will not change. It's time for some payback.

And that's pretty much all we can do here.

If you check inside the house, you can find this:

This is the same message we could find in Yormgen's inn:

So yes, this is Yormgen... somehow.

We have more important matters to think about than that though. Off to the Shrine of Baction!

First though, this scene got some changes in the PS3 version, so let's take a look at that.

Alexei includes Aifread in his speech about his plans:

[...]
I am at a loss as to how to thank you. Your pitiful sense of justice has allowed me to work with little interruption. Long ago, I used the pirate Aifread. Afterwards, I used Barbos and Ragou. All three of them did serve my purposes, but you... I really must commend your work. You're some of the most talented and foolish performers I've seen.
[...]

That's pretty much the only change in the first part, Patty gives a comment here and there but nothing interesting.

In the talk with Flynn, however:

[...]
It is up to me to rescue Lady Estellise.
Whoa, what?!
Captain! What should be done about His Highness?! If anything were to happen to him, the empire...
I know. That's why this brigade is concentrating all our efforts on ensuring his safety.
But Captain...!
I'm counting on you.
drat it, Flynn... I didn't yell at you to have you turn around and take everything on yourself.
Brave Vesperia's going to rescue Estelle.
Then allow me to join Brave Vesperia.
Captain!?
A knight joining a guild? You've got to be joking.
I was unable to prevent the Royal Guard from abducting Her Highness. I am duty-bound to correct this wrong by saving her.
Just forget about it. You're not cut out for a guild.
But if you want to tag along I won't stop you.
Yuri...!
But you know what you really should be doing, right?
Yeah. As soon as I rescue Lady Estellise, I must return to protect Master Ioder. I cannot allow the empire to fall into disarray.

Sodia, Witcher, I'm sorry. Please take care of His Highness.
Please hurry back. I'll report back to His Highness.
Understood.
Yuri. Thanks.
Same here. You had me worried there. It's good to see you're back to your old self.

Alexei... So he's the one who's been advancing Hermes blastia technology.
[...]

Yep! Flynn (temporarily) joins the party here.

Next time, we'll take a look at Flynn in battle, then head off to Baction.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Jun 5, 2016

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
:sigh: Really, game? You've done so well at avoiding JRPG cliches so far, and then you tie all the villainous plot threads together by making Alexei Generic Anime Villain? I had come to expect more of you. Eh, hopefully he'll surprise me later, but I just got a sinking feeling that I know how the rest of the games going to go. I am happy to be disproven.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Looks like that time displacement bubble that was... projecting the town into the future for Yuri's visit... that's stopped?

I wish I could remember what the Weasand of Cados is or who Alexi is.

FEDIT: Alexi is the Commandant of the Imperial Knights, right? The guy in charge? I guess this will explain Flynn joining the party, and why there were enemy knights with those cannon blastia things.

... Why did Yaeger volunteer that information? Isn't he supposed to be our enemy? And leaving without fighting like it Alexi thought he would? Is he betraying Alexi?

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

... Why did Yaeger volunteer that information? Isn't he supposed to be our enemy? And leaving without fighting like it Alexi thought he would? Is he betraying Alexi?

Yaeger is basically one of the biggest trolls in the game. He's playing every side against each other, and the only solid reasoning I can ever remember him having for it was the obvious :10bux: he was making off arming every side of the conflict. Most of the time, he was more concerned with simply getting his jollies, near as I could tell.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I wish I could remember what the Weasand of Cados is or who Alexi is.

The Weasand of Cados was that cave between the coliseum and the desert. There was an aer krene and that giant monster that broke into a bunch of bats.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It feels more like they ran out of things to do than that we really advanced the plot there.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

The authority figure with white hair voiced by D.C. Douglas turned out to be a villain? In a JRPG?

Well I never!

KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

A real avatar never dies, even when it's replaced!

resurgam40 posted:

:sigh: Really, game? You've done so well at avoiding JRPG cliches so far, and then you tie all the villainous plot threads together by making Alexei Generic Anime Villain? I had come to expect more of you. Eh, hopefully he'll surprise me later, but I just got a sinking feeling that I know how the rest of the games going to go. I am happy to be disproven.

Well when you think about it, you'd have to be pretty ignorant to not get the feeling someone high up in the royal knights was being an evil douche. I thought It was the Duke, but he's only just a douche now.

Thesaurasaurus posted:

The authority figure with white hair voiced by D.C. Douglas turned out to be a villain? In a JRPG?

Well I never!

Tales Studio figured that someone would connect the strings and finger Alexei, so they decided "gently caress it get the guy that voiced Wesker to voice him."

Hopefully we doesn't desire Complete. Global. Saturation!

KDavisJr fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jun 21, 2012

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Thesaurasaurus posted:

Well I never!

D.C. Douglas voices the President of Strahta in Tales of Graces and he turns out to be a pretty chill guy. :cool:

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Brunom1 posted:

D.C. Douglas voices the President of Strahta in Tales of Graces and he turns out to be a pretty chill guy. :cool:

Oh, well then it's good to see they haven't completely typecast him and can mix it up a little.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Thesaurasaurus posted:

Well I never!

It's pretty much the perfect voice for Alexei though, his Japanese one doesn't even come close. I'm glad they went with him even if it makes it really obvious he's evil.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Yeah, the English localizers/VAs for Vesperia just knocked it out of the park, and I say this as someone who usually prefers subtitles to dubs because the VAs sound less like they're wondering what kind of person would actually say the lines they're about to say.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

It's pretty much the perfect voice for Alexei though, his Japanese one doesn't even come close. I'm glad they went with him even if it makes it really obvious he's evil.
It seems that the voice acting for the English version is better in general. Yuri sounded too low for someone of his age, for example.

(The same voice works well for a Flynn-parody in Dangan Ronpa, however.)

By the way, has the story revealed the identity of Duke beyond being "that mysterious cool-looking guy with a dragon"?

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Jeek posted:

By the way, has the story revealed the identity of Duke beyond being "that mysterious cool-looking guy with a dragon"?

Not yet but soon-ish you'll start to learn more about the guy.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
I have to say the plot of this game really is a mixed bag and I'm not sure where I stand on it. I feel like they could have done a lot more with it even if they went leaps and bounds above what you usually see in jrpgs.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

This Arte Demonstration is also available in video form on Baldurdash. (Youtube)

Like pretty much all characters in this game, Flynn is pretty fun to play with. Flynn's weapons of choice are swords, and most of the swords Yuri can equip he can too. His secondary equipment is shields, shared with Estelle, although there's not a whole lot of actual item overlap there. He's a bit slower than Yuri, but he gets some light-elemental magic, including some basic healing.

Flynn's moveset reminds me a lot of Lloyd's and Kratos/Zelos' from Tales of Symphonia. Let's take a look at his moves, then!

Do note that it's possible I shouldn't have some of the moves shown off here at this point of the game -- I recorded this on a New Game+ save with lots of transfers. Do also note that some of the arte names in the screenshots are from an early version of the translation, my text comments have the final ones. Note as well that I equipped Minimum Damage for this so the enemies wouldn't die while I show off the artes, in case you wonder about the lack of inflicted damage.

Base Artes:

Starting off with Demon Fang, the most basic Tales arte. Shockwave forward along the ground. Not as good as Yuri's Azure Edge, but still pretty nice for such a basic arte.

Sonic Thrust, another very basic Tales arte. Thrust forward with the sword. Flynn's variation has a surprisingly big horizontal range compared to the usual.

Tiger Blade, more basic Tales artes! Slash and jump up into the air, then slash back down onto the ground.

Then here we have something new, Radiant Burst. A forward slash to capture an enemy, and if that hits properly a small light-elemental ray shoots down from the top.

Rising Falcon, one of Lloyd's artes from Sypmhonia. Back-jump into the air, then diagonal slash forward down to the ground.

Severing Wind, side-slash, then upwards slash. I haven't quite figured out the proper use of this one to be honest.

Sword Rain, another basic Tales arte. Several quick stabs forward.

Arcane Artes:

Demonic Chaos: Multiple Demon Fangs, pretty much. Just like Yuri's Azure Edge -> Azure Storm, this can be useful to keep a far-away enemy stunned.

Something from Cress' (Tales of Phantasia) arsenal, Hell Pyre. A backwards jump, then a fireball shot to where Flynn was standing right before. Can be nice to get away from the enemy.

Beast, one more common Tales arte. A single powerful, down-knocking shockwave forward in form of a lion's head.

Flynn's Dragon Swarm, a variation of Yuri's Dragon Swarm. Instead of Yuri's circular acrobatics, this is just a chain of four sword slashes.

Shining Aegis, a pretty interesting one. A dash-slash forward through the enemy that -- if it connects properly -- captures the enemy in a magic circle, then a bunch of upwards reflecting lasers within that circle. Knocks the enemy skywards.

Demonic Circle, a single powerful knockdown hit from above. This has a short chargeup before it hits, so make sure no enemy can hit you during that. You can also hold the Arte button to charge this up even longer for a more powerful hit.

Guardian Field, one more from Phantasia's Cress. Creates a small magic circle of light around Flynn that damages enemies and heals allies a bit.

Altered Artes

Tiger Rage, altered from Tiger Blade with Chain and Gale. Multiple slashes in the air compared to it's Base variant.

Rising Phoenix, altered from Rising Falcon with Hell Fire. Basically a faster, fire-elemental Rising Falcon.

Fierce Hell Pyre, altered from Hell Pyre with Hell Fire and Crucible. This is actually quite different from its base. A charging period, then a short jump and downwards slash. Fire-elemental.

Radiant Nova, altered from Radiant Burst with Dispersion. Same thing as before except it can now hit multiple enemies in a bigger range at once.

Rending Quake, altered from Demonic Circle with Athenor. Quite different, this opens up a crack in the earth from which a bunch of rocks fly upwards at the enemy. Earth-elemental.

Sword Rain: Alpha, altered from Sword Rain with Alembic and Chain. This adds an upwards-jumpslash at the end of Sword Rain.

Novice Spells

First Aid, one more Tales staple. Simple single-target healing spell.

Luminant Scythe, a single target light-elemental spell. Forms a glyph around the enemy, then shoots four balls of light from that back at him. Looks pretty neat in action.

Advanced Spells

YES! This is probably the most fun of Flynn's artes, just due to sheer ridiculousness. Divine Streak: A giant, entire battle field spanning laser that can chain-hit enemies if they're right within Flynn's line of sight. Sadly, the casting time for this is rather long, so unless you're in Over Limit you won't get to use it very often.

Holy Lance, our last common Tales arte. Stabs the enemy with a bunch of light-elemental swords from above.

Altered Spells

Cure, altered from First Aid with Great Deluge. A more potent single-target healing arte.

Mistral Soul, altered from Luminant Scythe with Gale. Forms a big circle on the ground from which several light balls swirl up, then downwards.

Burst Artes

Radiant Ruin, Flynn's basic Burst Arte. A laser updwards from the ground, then a giant Demon Fang-like shockwave.

Radiant Ruin - Cyclone, the wind-elemental Burst. An upwards swirling gust, then a single wind blade.

Radiant Ruin - Sunder, the earth-elemental Burst. More or less a more powerful Rending Quake with some bigger rocks.

Radiant Ruin - Flare, the fire-elemental Burst. Casts a sphere of fire around Flynn, then shoots a Beast-like shockwave forwards.

Radiant Ruin - Splash, the water-elemental Burst. Casts a whirl of water around Flynn, then creates several balls of water that explode after a short while.

Fatal Strikes

And that's about it for Flynn's Artes!

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Nov 1, 2016

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

Wow, Flynn looks pretty cool in battle. Was there any reason why he was cut from the English version? Like lack of time to fully implement him?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

SweaterGear posted:

Was there any reason why he was cut from the English version? Like lack of time to fully implement him?

That's what I'm guessing. Slight spoilers for later:

Flynn joins your party for a single battle later in the 360 version. His movement there is way more sluggish than his PS3 implementation, he only has like six artes, and he can't do any Fatal Strikes or Burst Artes. If you hack him into your party he got some stuff you'd never see otherwise such as Status menu art, so he obviously was intended to be a full party member at some point in development.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I don't suppose there are/were plans for "the Flynn edition" of this game?

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
This is all well and good, but reading the update, all I can think of is... why is Flynn wearing a party hat? Is it his birthday, or something?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

It's the best Attachment, of course! If you had the opportunity to wear a party hat, wouldn't you?

Glazius posted:

I don't suppose there are/were plans for "the Flynn edition" of this game?

What exactly do you mean by that?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I really like that Flynn seems to be the closest of any character to Generic Tales Protagonist artes.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

It's the best Attachment, of course! If you had the opportunity to wear a party hat, wouldn't you?

Nooo, Repede Shades are the best attachment! :frogc00l:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

What exactly do you mean by that?

I think he means a (at least partial) retelling of the game's story with Flynn as the MC.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
It would be an interesting dichotomy. Flynn is very much the white knight archtype that tales usually has as their MC. (Using a lot of demonic names for artes though) Flynn is much more cut from the same cloth as Cress, or Lloyd in terms of ability names and the like. He also seems to be gathering a party of his own and deals with a similar number of situations at the same time as Yuri and his group is dealing with their own problems. The whole Yuri/Flynn dynamic has been talked about before though. I would be interested in seeing how they write him during those parts where he gets the odd orders but does them anyways.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
Yeah, Flynn is basically having the Archetypical Tales Adventure with his own party offscreen. Playing the game, it really feels like it's possible for Vesperia to have been about him instead, with Yuri playing the role of the rival/more badass character of the party...except that the very reason Vesperia is interesting is because it focuses on Yuri instead. There's nothing wrong with Flynn being the Archetypical Tales Protagonist, it's just that he's arguably more interesting because of the caveat that you don't actually play as him.

He's a complete combat badass in the PS3 version though. He's really the reason why the PS3 version is worth it, in spite of Patty's existence.

Divine Streak is definitely the best arte. Nothing like giant gently caress-off lasers.

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

That's what I'm guessing. Slight spoilers for later:

Flynn joins your party for a single battle later in the 360 version. His movement there is way more sluggish than his PS3 implementation, he only has like six artes, and he can't do any Fatal Strikes or Burst Artes. If you hack him into your party he got some stuff you'd never see otherwise such as Status menu art, so he obviously was intended to be a full party member at some point in development.

This is what I was basing my "lack of time" guess on. Thanks for somewhat backing it up.

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."
I am so happy to have found an LP of Tales of Vesperia here. I could never afford the game nor the Xbox360, so the only thing that I've known about this game was from watching the movie (which was pretty great! I've loved it.) I haven't caught up to the latest updates yet, but I wanted to let you know that I appreciate the high quality of your LP so far, Admiral H. Curtiss. Fantastic work!

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Skit: Working With Entelexeia
So it really was Duke's friend who saved us all in the Sands of Kogorh.
You mean that monster we met in Cados?
She's not a monster, she's an Entelexeia. She must have been regulating the aer in the Weasand of Cados, right?
I think I saw something right before we collapsed in the desert.
I wonder if that Entelexeia is an ally of humans or not?
She's the same as Ba'ul and Belius. We can communicate with Entelexeia, so I'm sure we can all get along just fine.
Yes.

Skit: Alexei's Plan
Now we won't have to fight against Flynn any more.
Come to think of it, when did you realize Alexei was planning to overthrow the empire?
I've had doubts about the Commandant's orders for a while now. After you warned me at Nordopolica, I went through all the incidents that had occurred to date.
So that's how you discovered that it was Alexei pulling the strings behind Barbos, Ragou and Cumore?
After I learned Lady Estellise had been taken prisoner by him, I was sure of it. If only I had realized it sooner...
But still, you realized he was up to something on your own. There's still time. Let's take Estelle back.
Yes. You're Patty, right? I'm happy that you're lending a hand in rescuing Lady Estellise.
Of course! I won't let Alexei get away with any more of his schemes!

Last time, we unveiled Alexei as the mastermind (or rather, he unveiled himself, but whatever), then got information from Yeager that he's headed towards Baction. Since we had no other leads, we decided to trust that information.

Heracles...! Alexei brought out the big guns, I see.

Watch the CG scene!

Alexei's still trying to get apatheia, it seems.
It looked like it got away, though.
Yeah, it looked like it was forced into those ruins.
Those ruins definitely appear to be the temple, Baction.

It doesn't matter what Alexei's planning to do.
Right. We're just here to rescue Estelle.
But if we get too close like this, we'll end up like Astal.
Let's land a little bit away from it and approach on the ground.

Watch the cutscene!

Alexei!

Give Estelle back!
Estelle, come on, wake up! Estelle!

A...aaah!!

As you can see, the Princess' life will fade each time she uses her power. If you care for her, then do not interfere further. Heh heh...

...You...bastard...

These were the Captain's orders. He sent us here when he became aware of Heracles' movements. You should show some gratitude for the Captain's foresight.
I swear, that guy... You tell Flynn we don't need him sticking his nose where it doesn't belong.

But just look at you. After all the boasting you did. Pitiful.
Sorry, but unlike your precious Captain, we aren't perfect.

Uhh... Huh? What are they...?

...How can someone like you... How can the Captain possibly consider someone like you his friend?! Our Captain is the ideal to which we all aspire. He's the epitome of an Imperial Knight. And yet!

We don't have time to sit around and play guidance counselor for you.
A-Apple Head?!

Sodia, no, don't! Sodia!
...Listen well, Yuri Lowell. Your very existence is hurting our Captain. Stay away from him!

Sodia leaves.

Um, Flynn also wanted me to give you this message. "Take care." A-all right, now we've done everything we came here to do. You're on your own after this.
(offscreen) Platoon, fall out! We must hurry to rejoin the brigade.

Yuri...

Right. If she's forced to use her power, then it'll be too late to save her or fix the aer.
That bastard... Using her like some kind of tool...! He's gonna pay!
Come on!

Skit: The Entelexeia, Astal
If we don't go after Alexei, that Entelexeia we saw is gonna wind up an apatheia.
Even from this far away, Astal's wounds looked terrible. He might not hold out much longer...
I guess not even the Entelexeia are a match for Heracles.
Maybe that was Alexei's reason for building it in the first place.
Naturally. There's no way he'd need something that powerful just to take care of the guilds.
Whatever the case, we have to catch Alexei and stop him before it's too late for Astal.

In the PS3 version, Ioder sent Sodia and Witcher instead of Flynn. Flynn is with us after all. They try to get Flynn to come with them instead of going into Baction with Yuri, but Flynn refuses. Apart from that the scene is pretty much the same. This place has a bunch of new scenes and skits due to Flynn, though.

Going inside, we run right into another cutscene.

Flynn sent his knights to help us!
That idiot...sending the better part of his subordinates over here! He should be worried about his own butt.

He must really be worried.
About us? Or about Estelle?
Both, I'd hope.
Woof!
I swear...it's not like he has time to be worrying about other people.

So Flynn hasn't completely hardened to others either...

PS3 version of this scene:

Watch the cutscene!

Wow, I can't believe Prince Ioder sent help for us.
I'm pretty sure he sent help for Flynn and Estelle, not us. Right?
Coming in itself is crazy, but so is sending help. Does that prince even understand the gravity of his own position?
That's the kind of person His Highness is.

Is he grieving over what happened with Estelle, or what happened with Alexei?
...Both. Let's hurry.

We're not in any position to take things easy.
We don't know where enemies might turn up. Calm down.
You're right. I apologize. You're all far more...
Don't worry about it. We're all on the same team here.

I'm fine. Really, just dandy! Now then, let's get going! Estelle is waiting!

Patty runs ahead.

It's true that it's not unheard of for the Knights to employ guilds, however...
We don't know enough to say anything for sure. We should save this conversation for later. Let's go.

Skit: Apatheia Held by Alexei
So, just how much does Alexei know about the apatheia?
He said that they conceal a horrific power. He claimed if that power fell into the Union's hands, there was a chance that the guilds would exploit it for military purposes, and oppose the Empire. And that's why the knights were ordered to collect and manage them.
And what does that have to do with kidnapping Estelle and taking the Hermes blastia?
Alexei must be planning on using the apatheia for no good!
If so, then just what in the world does he want to use it for?
He's going after Astal's apatheia now...
Astal? That entelexia we just saw?
Either way, we need to catch him and take back Estelle! After that, we can make him spit out everything he knows!
You're right. Let's hurry!

Baction can be a quite tough dungeon, for reasons that will become apparent soon.

Based on the state of the shrine, it doesn't seem like anyone's been here in a long time.

Well except for monsters I guess.

And the Imperial Knights have spread themselves around here too, now. There's at least one unique enemy among the knights here, so make sure you scan him if you're going for a full monster book.

Not too far in, we run into another cutscene.

Watch the PS3 version of this cutscene! (Japanese voices)

I'm going to go check out what's ahead.
Repede.

It's okay. Relax.

Karol and Repede return.

Repede's sense of smell doesn't seem to be working too well here, either.
I see. We can't afford to get lost in here.
Here, use these.

Y-you're always so well prepared!
Karol, can you do this?
Yeah, I'm good with maps. Leave it to me.
We'll be in a lot of trouble if you mess up, you know!
D-don't say that, come on...everything'll be fine, probably...

(this is totally a sound effect from Zelda at the end there, by the way)

So yeah, this is a maze. At least you get a map. I dunno why the space two to the left is filled in, but the room to the right is the one we entered from. If you go back and up,

you'll run into a dead end -- at least for now. We can come back later with a more powerful Sorcerer's Ring to explore this part.

This dungeon can be a war of attrition: In addition to the fact you probably don't know which way is the right way, you don't have any real healer except Karol (in the 360 version, anyway), there's tons of enemies, and enemies respawn whenever you change rooms. Not to mention that the Encounter Link mechanic can screw you if you're not careful, it's surprisingly easy to draw three enemy groups into the same battle here.

Skit: Situation at the Weasand of Cados
You never did give me a good reason.
Just what were you trying to accomplish with that blockade to Nordopolica at the Weasand of Cados?
I was following Alexei's orders. That's all.
Was taming monsters also one of his orders?
Most likely... But it was my fault for not understanding what my own troops were doing. I have no right to consider myself a commanding officer.
At least you know.
I'll definitely make up for all my errors.

Thankfully, there's a healing save point every once in a while, which is much appreciated.

Because there's lots of enemies here, we get a couple new artes:

Stalagmite + Athenor -> Riot Horn. Shoots a big stalagmite along the ground.

Yuri learns Wailing Havoc, where he jumps upwards together with an enemy, then kicks and slices the enemy in midair. Not one of my favorites.

Judith gets Moonbeam. This is a fun one: Judith jumps into the air, disappears, reappears above an enemy, shoots down an exploding spear, then teleports back to where she started.

And giving Yuri the earth-elemental altering skills alters two of his base artes. Shining Fang + Athenor -> Shining Fang Drop. A normal Shining Fang, then a jump and downward smash.

Azure Edge + Crucible -> Azure Blast. A powerful smash to the ground. I honestly don't like either ones of these altered artes, since they both cause knockdown and have some recovery and/or charge time. Besides, unless you grind them somewhere, using these means you won't have access to Shining Fang and Azure Edge for a while, two of Yuri's best artes if you ask me.

And last but not least, Repede learns Phantom Fang. He lies down on the ground for a short while, and if any enemy touches him during that, he jumps up with some rocks following him from below. Kinda neat, except there's a huge recovery time if no enemy touches Repede.

Past the first save point is a PS3-exclusive cutscene.

Watch the cutscene!

I'll probably be forced to fight him.
You're prepared for that, right?
Honestly, I find it hard to believe even now. No, it's more like, I don't want to believe it.

Sorry, but my answer is set in stone.
I know... Besides, we can't let him get away with his treatment of Lady Estellise.
No objections here.

Well, Flynn, you uh...know what Yuri did, right?
You must be referring to Ragou and Cumore.
Y-yeah.
You don't have to worry. I won't arrest Yuri. For now.
Does that mean you'll do it once we've rescued Estelle?
Yuri's actions are serious crimes in the eyes of the empire.

Serious crimes...
A personal grudge?! Yuri was just trying to...!
I know. Yuri didn't do it for personal reasons alone. But that's how the law sees it. And that's not because the Empire is corrupt or anything like that.

I'm really not sure anymore. Perhaps I am hesitating, or maybe...

Ah! S-sorry!
My, how scary. Let's get going.

Skit: Patty's Encouragement
You look like you're still hesitating.
Alexei is rotten to the core. Doubting that only makes you look like an idiot.
I know. Alexei's actions cannot be forgiven. But...
There's no buts about it! Don't hesitate! You've seen exactly what he's capable of with your own eyes.
You're right.
You're unexpectedly level headed.
Really? That's the first time anyone's told me that.
I have to get my act together, too.
Aye. Get your bearings straight, and overthrow Alexei!
Yeah.

Skit: Tense Mood
I wish I had stayed closer to Lady Estellise. I could have protected her...
That wasn't an option. She decided she wanted to travel with us.
That's true...
I know this is my fault.
No, that's not what I meant. I have no right to judge you.
I think I've had my fill on who's qualified to do what.
You're right.
Maybe it's just my imagination, but I feel like I could breathe easier at the bottom of the sea than here.
Yeah... Things seem kind of tense between Yuri and Flynn.

There's also these lamps scattered around the dungeon. I honestly have no clue why they're here. You can shoot them with the Sorcerer's Ring to turn them on, but

it kinda doesn't really light anything up.

Eventually, you'll come to a stairway downwards.

If you didn't already guess this from the fact the map has a BF1 on it, there's a second floor to this dungeon.

A bit further we come across a statue.

Watch the PS3 version of this cutscene! (Japanese voices)

This is a temple, after all. This is probably a statue of whatever deity the temple was dedicated to.
You know, it might just be a statue of the Entelexeia we just saw outside.
Huh? It couldn't be...I mean, a monster...that is, it's a...but they don't even look alike...
No, I think it's possible. The Entelexeia have powers beyond those of humans, and can speak in our language. It's not strange to think that humans would've worshipped them in ancient times.
The relationship between the Entelexeia and humans might be closer than we thought. Maybe they drifted apart during the long, long passage of time, eventually leading to the situation we find ourselves in now.
I-I think that I prefer the distance we have now to the cozy relationship we had back then, heh...heh...

Right after that scene is another save point, and past that...

Watch the cutscene!

Good call Karol. Estelle's gotta be back there somewhere. We don't have much time. Let's make this quick!

Not different from any of the random encounters here.

This is...

Can you open it?
It uses an ancient technology that's barely been studied at all. Even I've only seen something like this in books. I couldn't even guess how long a thorough analysis might take.

Locks usually aren't placed on anything that's easily broken into.
Yeah, you're right... Wait, how do you think Alexei got through here?
He probably forced the lock, using Estelle's...the power of the Child of the Full Moon.
Which means he made her use her power again.

Alexei's got her somewhere up ahead!
...I see. So he has made his move.
Are you here because of him, too?
The aer krene in this region has become severely imbalanced. I have come to restrain it.
...By restrain, you mean you actually have a way to do that?

That's enough.

An unstable Child of the Full Moon cannot be ignored.
You're as hard-headed as Phaeroh. I thought as a human, you'd see things differently.

Listen. She may be a bumbling, sheltered excuse for a princess, but she's one of ours. She's none of your concern. So back off!
Do you say that knowing just how great a threat her existence poses?
What we know's got nothing to do with it. Our motto is always do what's right. And if that means having to get up close and personal with you, then so be it.

The time has come to show me the resolve that so impressed Phaeroh.

Special: Trigger a mystic arte with Over Limit Lv. 3 or above. Hold the attack button after an arcane arte or above.
Super Chain: Able to link arcane to base artes.
Bastion: Changes Crushing Eagle to Guardian Field.

This is Dein Nomos. It is the only manner in which the aer may be quieted.

Duke, wait!

What are you doing with it? Why does something like that have the power to control the aer? Who are you?

Go, before you are too late. Soon you will learn for yourselves the true weight of the burden borne by the Entelexeia.

Skit: Just Who Is Duke?
Dein Nomos, the child of the full moon, "the resolve that impressed Phaeroh"?
Just who the hell is this Duke guy?
Well, judging from what he says, it seems he's in contact with Phaeroh.
And he has the sword Prince Ioder's been looking for... I don't like this.
Yeah, but why would he just lend us something as important as Dein Nomos? I thought he was stubborn, but maybe he's actually willing to listen to reason.
I wouldn't get my hopes up about that.
Don't we have more pressing concerns to worry about?
Yeah. Let's hurry.

What's behind this door? What's Alexei doing there? How much longer is this dungeon? Find out next time!

Notable loot acquired so far:

Heavy Magic: Increases power of a spell. Also increases TP consumption and cast time.
Item Pro: Decreases the amount of time a character is unable to move after using items.

Dash Cancel: Able to cancel actions with free run.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Oct 9, 2016

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

Hmm. Those extra scenes with Flynn are actually really nice. And... Patty seems to be becoming less insufferable in personality. (Though her character design still seems really out of place.)

Interesting that the PS3 content starts picking up when the main game itself starts faltering.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yuri's pretty good with the sword of the royal line. Something he's not telling us, or is this just a high-level fighter thing?

Also I'm really wonder what it's going to do to Estelle, given the Duke's agenda.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Glazius posted:

Yuri's pretty good with the sword of the royal line. Something he's not telling us, or is this just a high-level fighter thing?

Also I'm really wonder what it's going to do to Estelle, given the Duke's agenda.

High level fighter. Hes just that good.

Which reminds me, Admiral, i know this may be a pain, but when it comes time, could we get a .gif of Yuri performing Frigid Blast? That move is boss.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
Yeah, when Dein Nomos was first mentioned in the game as the item needed for Imperial succession, I thought it would just be a MacGuffin of some kind. Even if it was a sword, I figured it would be a key item and sit in that section of the inventory until needed for PLOT.

Well, it is.

But Yuri can also use that sword not because he's of royal blood, just because he's that drat good.

And its first ability...well, I bet Admiral Curtiss will show it off. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

BrightWing posted:

Which reminds me, Admiral, i know this may be a pain, but when it comes time, could we get a .gif of Yuri performing Frigid Blast? That move is boss.

I tried making some .gifs before but they come out either looking like poo poo or with an extremely huge filesize. It's probably easier to up a video instead.

• Locked thread