Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Green Bean
May 3, 2009

Tsurupettan posted:

I did it once or twice a few years ago. I even have a character with a bio and poo poo. I just don't bother because the community is terrible. :v:

Same here, to be honest. I don't do a lot of RP, but I find that characters I make a bio for are more fun to play. Admittedly, part of that is you can call people out on their lovely backgrounds and irritating behaviour and they can't complain since you're doing it ~in character~.

Though I have to admit it's kinda funny that two posts after we make fun of a guy for blatantly stealing his character from a video game we're helping someone make Amon from Legend of Korra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Green Bean posted:

Though I have to admit it's kinda funny that two posts after we make fun of a guy for blatantly stealing his character from a video game we're helping someone make Amon from Legend of Korra.

But we're goons and we're doing it ironically. :eng101:

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
I had a brief stint doing it the last time I was subbed.

It was more interesting than I expected, but eventually got bored and realized any effort spent making character concepts was better spent on

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Patware posted:

I kind of sort of roleplay, in that I've got a character planned out for any given dude I make except the really dumb poo poo, but I view RPing as practice for moving on to legit writing, and CoH has nothing for me except really light characterization practice. The standard is just rock-bottom.

I MUSH though, so I'm snooty and arrogant.

This is more or less where I stand too, down to doing ~proper~ arrpee on text games and junk. I find MMO chat interfaces really awkward, probably because the default frames are so drat tiny, and there's something really goddamn creepy about watching tarted-up avatars maneuvering carefully around to find proper /wallean position.

The depowering plot is something I'd avoid engaging with. That sort of thing doesn't appeal to me to begin with, and the people who do get involved tend to kick off great piles of drama... which does sound perfect for a goon-orchestrated plot.

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'
I used to RP. Got kind of turned off of it for various reasons. Still, most every character I make has some kind of RP potential, if not an actual bio. The group I usually run with tends to do a bit of light RP during missions, and that's fun enough, so I tend to have a personality in mind for each character.

Except Yarn Man. He's just kind of a costume made out of inevitability and yarn.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Bieeardo posted:

This is more or less where I stand too, down to doing ~proper~ arrpee on text games and junk. I find MMO chat interfaces really awkward, probably because the default frames are so drat tiny, and there's something really goddamn creepy about watching tarted-up avatars maneuvering carefully around to find proper /wallean position.

The depowering plot is something I'd avoid engaging with. That sort of thing doesn't appeal to me to begin with, and the people who do get involved tend to kick off great piles of drama... which does sound perfect for a goon-orchestrated plot.

Depowering, death, drastic character changes, and plots where one character vastly overpowers others are all best done in small groups with close knit friends who won't go mental when something bad happens. RPers are territorial, possessive creatures.

I RP in TOR these days (and reading this makes me want to resub to CoX), and the same truths hold there as the days I spent boggling at terrible bios in the D.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 28 hours!

Green Bean posted:

Same here, to be honest. I don't do a lot of RP, but I find that characters I make a bio for are more fun to play. Admittedly, part of that is you can call people out on their lovely backgrounds and irritating behaviour and they can't complain since you're doing it ~in character~.

Yeah, it's awfully entertaining to laugh at terrible roleplayers, but as to actually addressing their problems, they won't listen unless you do it to their faces, at their level. And actually doing that is goddamn satisfying.

For the most part I am in the boat of just enjoying a character a lot more when they have actual character to them. Bieeardo does have something of a point that RPing in MMOs is pretty awkward (often in both ways, but preferably it's only kind of unwieldy) but at the same time making it work is as legitimate a challenge as having something good in the first place. You have a finite space with which to be interesting, and very little leniency. You'd be surprised how many people fail this test.

Bios are a good example. I first noticed in a foray over to CO - I don't know if their bios have a text cap, if they do it's so high nobody has a problem with it... And as a consequence everyone's bios are so boring. They put in everything that's brought this character to where they are, and invariably the result is a block of the most boring text you've ever seen. 1024 characters is restrictive, but if you can't fit your story into that and remain interesting, it is not the text limit at fault. Basically, 'bio too big for character description' is a bigger sign of a lovely RPer than 'ERPer'.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I can't believe this is a topic of conversation in this thread. :psyduck:

Also Yarn Man is the loving best.

Hi
Oct 10, 2003

:wrong: :coffeepal:

Slung Blade posted:

I can't believe this is a topic of conversation in this thread. :psyduck:

Also Yarn Man is the loving best.

I thought I clicked the wrong thread, went from tommy dong to best way to roleplay a sexxy catgirl whos giant horse cock semen prevents mutahumans from using their super powers in like three posts.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Hi posted:

I thought I clicked the wrong thread, went from tommy dong to best way to roleplay a sexxy catgirl whos giant horse cock semen prevents mutahumans from using their super powers in like three posts.

It's hard to say which is worse, really.

(They're both worse.)

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Something wrong with the topic?

the Val
Nov 21, 2005

Just wait till tomorrow
I guess that's what they all say
Just before they fall apart
For new players unsure of what to expect from Pocket D:

[Broadcast] Natalia. Fairweather: ((NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIL! I have a bitch of an itch on my left rear end cheek!))
[Broadcast] Vince Hurth: ((That could be pinworms.))
[Broadcast] Veronica Aetherdyne: (( Take more showers. ))
[Broadcast] Captain Thunderr: ((OOC))could be something living in your computer chair.
[Broadcast] Vince Hurth: ((Pinworms leave the butthole to place eggs outside. The secretions they leave behind are very itchy. It usually banks on this having the host of the pinworm scratch the itch and transfer it))
[Broadcast] KuroKitten: ((OOC)): ^^^ This.
[Broadcast] Vince Hurth: ((to anywhere your fingers go afterwards. Bed sheets, food and utensils, etc.))
[Broadcast] Veronica Aetherdyne: (( Like I said, take more showers. :P ))
[Broadcast] Vince Hurth: ((This is usually spread so well in North America by dogs. They itch down their with their mouth, ingesting the eggs and then pooping it out later. Or we kiss their face/they kiss us))
[Broadcast] Vince Hurth: ((and then we get infected by the worms too.))
[Broadcast] Natalia. Fairweather: . . . . . O_O'))
[Broadcast] KuroKitten: ((OOC)): That's what you get for announcing butt-itches.
[Broadcast] Vince Hurth: ((So if you've ever had a night where your butt is extremely itchy and just won't stop, and it goes on for an hour or more? You probably need to check your stool for the next week for anything white and moving.))

DangerDan
May 31, 2011

FULTON: The Freshmaker
I suggest we all report BMU for griefing in this thread and if you would all just look at my VirtueVerse you would see my 10,000 word essay for why. Also note that someone out there exists who plagerizes from RIFTs books. loving RIFTs books.

Also I will finish my RESCUE THE BIG METAL UNIT Architect Arc one day. It's like halfway done but then I got distracted.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Yet another reason I refuse to own any pets.

DangerDan posted:

I suggest we all report BMU for griefing in this thread and if you would all just look at my VirtueVerse you would see my 10,000 word essay for why. Also note that someone out there exists who plagerizes from RIFTs books. loving RIFTs books.

Also I will finish my RESCUE THE BIG METAL UNIT Architect Arc one day. It's like halfway done but then I got distracted.

I love you. Let me know when I can play test it :q:

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

I learned that pinworms are, in fact, a real thing.

Also, what the gently caress is that DangerDan? Please tell me it's an elaborate troll.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Cleretic posted:

Bios are a good example. I first noticed in a foray over to CO - I don't know if their bios have a text cap, if they do it's so high nobody has a problem with it... And as a consequence everyone's bios are so boring. They put in everything that's brought this character to where they are, and invariably the result is a block of the most boring text you've ever seen. 1024 characters is restrictive, but if you can't fit your story into that and remain interesting, it is not the text limit at fault. Basically, 'bio too big for character description' is a bigger sign of a lovely RPer than 'ERPer'.
The main problem with RP in general is that people think they're more interesting than they actually are.

The second problem is how many of them just use it as a pretext to cyberfuck.

DangerDan
May 31, 2011

TalonDemonKing posted:

Also, what the gently caress is that DangerDan? Please tell me it's an elaborate troll.

I don't know, you tell me.
:suicide:

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

quote:

Although well into her nineties, she has the appearance, vitality, and libido of a woman in her early 30's. She can induce fertility in nearly anyone, or alternatively, take it away.

quote:

When Bea uses her powers, the spell rewards her with a rush of sensual pleasure. A total discharge[3] basically results in an orgasmic surge, leaving Ohm spent and breathless.

:froggonk:

I guess they're writing, at least?

DangerDan
May 31, 2011

Jesus christ I didn't actually read any of it I just looked to see if it had retarded pictures/ones lifted from RIFTs books.

I too climax whenever I use my superpowers it's very practical an- :barf:

Oni Elem
Jun 1, 2008

to take things away from this horrible poo poo, Blaster Changes for i24 per the livestream, and similar powers over other ATs/APPs

- Snipes will have truncated activation time over a certain +tohit threshold
- all 'short range' 40ft blasts have increased range (doubled to 80ft)
- all blaster secondaries (aside from Psi) are having a power modified to give some survivability, here are the ones I remember, they will be perma without recharge enhancement
  • Ice gets a periodic Absorb shield over Chilling Embrace
  • Elec gets a +regen +recovery buff over Thunder Clap,
  • Energy gets Enegize over Conserve Power, with a lesser heal and higher +regen and end reduction
  • Devices get +regen +recovery in Cloaking Device
- Dual Pistols will be getting animation time changes

Oni Elem fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jun 20, 2012

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'
Also Dark's Touch of Fear becomes Touch of the Beyond which gives +regend and +recovery, I think.

Evil Z
Jun 14, 2012

Oni Elem posted:

to take things away from this horrible poo poo, Blaster Changes for i24 per the livestream, and similar powers over other ATs/APPs

- all blaster secondaries (aside from Psi) are having a power modified to give some survivability, here are the ones I remember, they will be perma without recharge enhancement
  • Energy gets Enegize over Conserve Power, with a lesser heal and higher +regen and end reduction

Not that you needed it, but yes, this is all accurate. You can check out the recorded stream on our Twitch.TV (http://twitch.tv/paragonstudios)channel or YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/user/ncsoftnorcal) channel. It's got shiny in game footage of how snipes will actually cast and numbers and stuff.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

See? all of that blaster stuff? I loving love that.

That is what this thread is about.

Also Tommy's penis, but that always needs to be A Thing.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Oni Elem posted:

Oh gently caress Yeah! :woop:

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Oh gently caress Yeah! :woop:

I hope the boost to Lightning Clap is at least twice the values of any other upgrade, because there's never been any reason to take the drat thing.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
gently caress Lightning Clap, My AR/Dev is not totally DOA!

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

+Regen is nice for soloing but isn't nice for avoiding getting gibbed.

The absorb shield sounds like the best of that batch at least, unless it still requires standing near enemies in which case good work at trolling Blasters into dying more.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Oni Elem posted:

a bunch of poo poo about the wrong kinds of blasters

How dare you not remember what /Fire is getting.

Fire blasters are the only blasters that matter.

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!
What's good about Devices now is targeting drone helps you get to the 20-22% ToHit needed to remove the int period on your snipe / move while casting. Plus, Field Operative still has +DEF. (Yeah, I know it's still the same amount as Combat Jumping, but hey!)

Also, they mentioned how Hybrid is currently working as intended, they'd just like to change Support to feel "more active" ... ;/

But nothing is planned as of yet. They mentioned they've "improved" it on beta as per people's requests, wonder what we'll see with that. Hopefully always-on toggle. :)

Patware posted:

How dare you not remember what /Fire is getting.

Fire blasters are the only blasters that matter.
Periodic heal in Blazing Aura. More healing than the +Regen offers, but not as much as the temp HP from Chilling Embrace. May or may not be worth it considering the end cost.

Tom Powers fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jun 20, 2012

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I wish this game didn't have so many easy ways to "waste" resources if you don't know the optimal usage of the, such as 1 Empyrean Merit -> 1 Astral Merit -> 1 Reward Merit. I'm very tempted to pick up one of the purple sets from the Paragon Market for 1,000 points, but would that be retarded? If I spent my 1,000 points on Super Packs would I likely get enough poo poo to sell for several purple sets worth of Inf?

Hi
Oct 10, 2003

No you wouldnt.

1k points is a good deal for a purple set, assuming each purple is around 250m each, I think its even cheaper than buying influence from farmers.

Or you could just do a few trials and convert the astrals into super inspirations and sell those for influence like a normal human being.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Oni Elem posted:

I think the better news here is that every snipe gets these changes, even the Stalker ones, which would be fast firing and critting from Hide (provided you use build-up or whatever else first).

It's finally the ranged Assassin's Strike they never needed!

Also holy poo poo those VV profiles.

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

OneEightHundred posted:

+Regen is nice for soloing but isn't nice for avoiding getting gibbed.

The absorb shield sounds like the best of that batch at least, unless it still requires standing near enemies in which case good work at trolling Blasters into dying more.

They specifically said all powers will work without a target. Except Touch of the Beyond, I guess? Dunno how that's going to work.

Hi
Oct 10, 2003

LaserShark posted:

They specifically said all powers will work without a target. Except Touch of the Beyond, I guess? Dunno how that's going to work.

bummer, they should atleast have like a 1% chance at any given time to proc a map wide unannounced taunt that is undetectable until 600 monsters rush the blaster and kill him.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Regarding snipes: The only way to have them available permanently without team buffs is of course Targeting Drone, which gives you exactly enough with 3 level 50 +ToHit buff IOs. I guess this is what they meant when they said it wasn't random! Ironically, you DON'T get enough if you run a full +ToHit buff set.

Soul Drain gives you enough if you also run Tactics.

Defenders have enough to permanently run snipes if they take Tactics and Focused Accuracy, ironically granting that godawful skill a purpose at last. Oh wait it still has a 0.78/sec endurance cost what the gently caress Paragon. Corruptors can too but they need more +ToHit enhancements.

If you run Time then you don't need FA because Farsight can now add another line to the list of why it's hilariously overpowered.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jun 21, 2012

Sharrow
Aug 20, 2007

So... mediocre.
I hope that's not it. :( Snipe changes are great, and AR/dev now has a reason to exist, but they don't sound like blaster fixes.

Tom Powers posted:

What's good about Devices now is targeting drone helps you get to the 20-22% ToHit needed to remove the int period on your snipe / move while casting.

So /devices, defenders and presumably corruptors can now build for always quick snipes, while the other blaster secondaries are reliant on Aim/BU uptime?

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Sharrow posted:

So /devices, defenders and presumably corruptors can now build for always quick snipes, while the other blaster secondaries are reliant on Aim/BU uptime?
Dark can get them up permanently with Soul Drain if you have enough IOs to get it below 30 seconds (and Hasten).

Fire/Dark will probably be the new king of Blaster specs with IOs, although Psi/Dark might have better ST since Lance/WillDom/TeleBlast with the new -knockback IO will probably be a ridiculous ST chain. Fire/Time will probably be the new king of Corruptor specs, oh wait it already is.

Ice is probably going to fall down a rung thanks to Psi.

Actually the biggest irony in this whole thing is that Psi/Devices will probably be the best soloing spec for blasters.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jun 21, 2012

Sharrow
Aug 20, 2007

So... mediocre.
Yeah don't get me wrong, I like the snipe change and some of the blaster primaries will get a nice ST boost, it's just that it's a global change and ultimately your corruptor will still be better than your blaster.

I'll definitely have to take a closer look at the numbers, but "/mental dies a fraction less than the others, let's give them all a drain psyche clone" isn't really what I was hoping for.

Bird Law
Nov 5, 2009

Hummingbirds are a legal tender.
I almost wonder why they bothered titling these "Blaster Changes" as most of the changes benefit Defenders and Corruptors more. I'm not a fan of gating the new snipe behind +tohit, seems like a useless penalty that yet again penalizes Blasters the most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PUPPY PUZZLE
Jun 22, 2002

wouldn't you just have to hit aim and then snipe? am i missing something? i didn't watch the video

• Locked thread