Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

GrAviTy84 posted:

I just balk at the price. Macallan is an ok malt but you pay for the name more than you pay for the whisky. Generally, with the name comes the "oohs and aahs" about collectability and price and a lot of :words: that have nothing to do with the whisky. They make a fine malt but at ~50bux/bottle for Macallan 12, I'd rather have Aberlour 12, Clynelish 14, ancnoc 12, HP 12, etc.
Must be regional; where I'm at, all of those bottles are around the same price (about US$40), plus or minus a buck or two. I would take a Lagavulin 16 at US$65 (which is what I think I paid for the bottle I currently have open) over Macallan 18 at US$150 (which is what I think it's going for). But the Macallan 12 still seems like a pretty good value to me; I don't like any other 12/10/NAS Speyside as much (although there are better more expensive Speysides). And to be clear I mean the traditional Macallan 12, not that `pure oak' or whatever the hell variant they're making now; never had it myself, but I've heard it's wretched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I have a recipe for Sesame Cold Noodles. One of the ingredients is "Rice Vinegar". I bought a bottle but I bought "Seasoned Rice Vinegar", only difference is it has added sugar and salt. Can I use that or should I return it for the regular Rice Vinegar?

The Swamp Thing
Sep 11, 2001

It's the Evolution Revolution.

nunsexmonkrock posted:

I have a recipe for Sesame Cold Noodles. One of the ingredients is "Rice Vinegar". I bought a bottle but I bought "Seasoned Rice Vinegar", only difference is it has added sugar and salt. Can I use that or should I return it for the regular Rice Vinegar?

That should work fine. "seasoned rice vinegar" is actually decent, just check the salt content of the cold noodles before serving and adjust as needed

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

If you can just trade it in for unseasoned, I would do it. You can always add salt, but you can't take it away. Unseasoned will be more versatile.

Yehudis Basya
Jul 27, 2006

THE BEST HEADMISTRESS EVER

Valdara posted:

Next Monday through Thursday I will be living in a hotel with a mini fridge and microwave. I'll also have a $25 per day food stipend. What are some things I could do to feed two people on $25 per day with the tools available? I don't want to get thrown out so no crockpot.

Protein-
While cooked protein will be more expensive, getting one of those ~$10 hot rotisserie chickens from a nearby grocery store could be a good investment. It would be tasty, reheats nicely as well as tastes good cold, and is relatively filling.
BACON, since you can microwave that poo poo!!!! Bring paper towel.
Sandwich fixings (serve with bread obviously... or not)
Pepperoni or other deli meat

Fat-
Cheeses- bricks are much more economical tha pre-sliced or pre-shredded. You just need a lovely knife to cut off some thick-ish slices.
Cream cheese or butter (for bagels in the morning)
Whole milk- would definitely help fill you up

Carbohydrates-
Instant oatmeal (made with the milk, a dab of butter will work nicely in there)
Bananas, apples, berries, etc
Dark chocolate
Sandwich bread
Bagels
Various veg (red bell pepper, celery, carrot, etc) with some kind of ranch dip
Can of beans (could you just microwave them in a bowl? I've never actually done that)

There's lots you can do as long as you're willing to shuffle around what you would normally require in a meal. It's just for a few days, so that hopefully isn't a huge problem!

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

GrAviTy84 posted:

But really, my favorite everyday whisky is Laphroaig 10 :v:

A whole lotta :words: to say you like to lick alcoholic ashtrays.

drat son, Laphroaig is *peaty*.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

HK5000 posted:

That should work fine. "seasoned rice vinegar" is actually decent, just check the salt content of the cold noodles before serving and adjust as needed

taqueso posted:

If you can just trade it in for unseasoned, I would do it. You can always add salt, but you can't take it away. Unseasoned will be more versatile.

Thanks for the advice guys! I think I'll return it, as the sugar content may throw things off too. It should just be an even exchange.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Yehudis Basya posted:

Protein-
While cooked protein will be more expensive, getting one of those ~$10 hot rotisserie chickens from a nearby grocery store could be a good investment. It would be tasty, reheats nicely as well as tastes good cold, and is relatively filling.
BACON, since you can microwave that poo poo!!!! Bring paper towel.
Sandwich fixings (serve with bread obviously... or not)
Pepperoni or other deli meat

Fat-
Cheeses- bricks are much more economical tha pre-sliced or pre-shredded. You just need a lovely knife to cut off some thick-ish slices.
Cream cheese or butter (for bagels in the morning)
Whole milk- would definitely help fill you up

Carbohydrates-
Instant oatmeal (made with the milk, a dab of butter will work nicely in there)
Bananas, apples, berries, etc
Dark chocolate
Sandwich bread
Bagels
Various veg (red bell pepper, celery, carrot, etc) with some kind of ranch dip
Can of beans (could you just microwave them in a bowl? I've never actually done that)

There's lots you can do as long as you're willing to shuffle around what you would normally require in a meal. It's just for a few days, so that hopefully isn't a huge problem!

Don't overlook canned proteins! Tuna, salmon, even ham flakes. Yes, you absolutely can nuke beans; just make sure you have a microwave-safe container and something to grab it with. You can also boil a bunch of eggs before you leave home and bring them with you.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

CuddleChunks posted:

A whole lotta :words: to say you like to lick alcoholic ashtrays.

drat son, Laphroaig is *peaty*.

Sorry about your wimpy babby tastebuds I guess. :sympathy:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
My apologies to everyone for instigating this whisky slap fight.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I picked up some hake because it was the only fish that sounded interesting that wasn't on the overfishing list. I've never had it before though, except as surimi, I guess. From googling it seems like I should treat it like cod? Any suggestions?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Miso cod recipes are always nice.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Steve Yun posted:

My apologies to everyone for instigating this whisky slap fight.

God, why does that sound kind of sexy?

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

GrAviTy84 posted:

But really, my favorite everyday whisky is Laphroaig 10 :v:

This is a correct thing.

I have some leftover chipotles in adobo to use up. I'd like to make a medium bodied, versatile sauce with them, preferably with enough volume to balance out the heat somewhat. Any suggestions?

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

rj54x posted:

This is a correct thing.

I have some leftover chipotles in adobo to use up. I'd like to make a medium bodied, versatile sauce with them, preferably with enough volume to balance out the heat somewhat. Any suggestions?

Food processor with some sour cream and lime juice. Use on fish tacos, shrimp burritos, or anything vaguely seafood-ish.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

rj54x posted:

blend with orange zest, cilantro, oil and vinegar and use on fish or pork or chicken

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
More raw fish questions.

Do I freeze and thaw before eating?

Some say to salt the fish, let sit than rinse and pat try?

Others say rub with rice vinegar?

These all look like anti bacterial measures.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

ColHannibal posted:

More raw fish questions.

Do I freeze and thaw before eating?

Some say to salt the fish, let sit than rinse and pat try?

Others say rub with rice vinegar?

These all look like anti bacterial measures.

Your fish was likely frozen on the boat. Just make sure that you pat it dry with a clean, scent free towel. That is really all you need to do. If you're worried, give it a quick flash sear on all sides in a cast iron skillet before slicing. All of the bacteria to worry about will be on the surface, not in the interior.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
As a follow up, freezing it yourself will likely gently caress up the texture and do little to make it safe. The flash freezing that's done on the boats is quick enough to not significantly degrade the texture, and also cold enough to kill the bacteria. A home freezer probably won't do either.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
That's what I figured, it's not that I'm scared of bugs, it's there is so many conflicting sources out there.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

As a follow up, freezing it yourself will likely gently caress up the texture and do little to make it safe. The flash freezing that's done on the boats is quick enough to not significantly degrade the texture, and also cold enough to kill the bacteria. A home freezer probably won't do either.
Freezing doesn't kill bacteria, or at least not reliably (citation: USDA); it merely prevents bacterial growth, retarding spoilage. Fish is frozen to kill parasites, not bacteria. The FDA guidelines for freezing fish are:
  • -4°F / -20°C for 7 days
  • -31°F / -35°C for 15 hours
  • -31°F / -35°C until solid, then holding at -4°F / -20°C for 24 hours
Doing the first isn't inconceivable for the average household refrigerator's freezer, although most are probably closer to 0°F.

There are no guidelines for freezing to kill bacteria, as freezing is not a reliable way to kill bacteria, so you're relying on proper cleaning and handling for food safety there.

vxk5004
Oct 23, 2008
Any recommendations for what to do with a Boston Butt besides pulled pork and carnitas? I've done those plenty and I'd like to try something new.

Sevryn
Mar 7, 2002

This is the way the world ends. Not with a bang, but with a whimper.
I'm looking for a recipe that was posted here earlier this year. It was like sweet potato and peanut butter stew with tomatoes, ginger and cilantro I believe. I've tried searching for it but haven't had any luck. Made it once before and it was really good, was going to try and make it again tonight.

Thanks!

Also, to the poster above me, maybe a Puerco Pibil or Pastor?

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

SubG posted:

Freezing doesn't kill bacteria, or at least not reliably (citation: USDA); it merely prevents bacterial growth, retarding spoilage. Fish is frozen to kill parasites, not bacteria. The FDA guidelines for freezing fish are:
Doing the first isn't inconceivable for the average household refrigerator's freezer, although most are probably closer to 0°F.

There are no guidelines for freezing to kill bacteria, as freezing is not a reliable way to kill bacteria, so you're relying on proper cleaning and handling for food safety there.

Freezing can kill bacteria at certain temperatures through cellular destruction. Surface bacteria can be handled with a wash and possibly some dilute rice whine vinegar so you don't make cevieche. And the only thing that remains is internal parasites would be cold or heat edification.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

vxk5004 posted:

Any recommendations for what to do with a Boston Butt besides pulled pork and carnitas? I've done those plenty and I'd like to try something new.

Make almost any sausage you can think of, make ham, make a dry cured ham, make rillettes, make ragu, make chili, make confit, make red braised pork, make dumplings, make souvlaki, make tacos al pastor, make braised pork in chile verde, sinigang, adobo, tocino. Pork shoulder is quite possibly the most versatile cut of meat in the world.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jun 20, 2012

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SubG posted:

Yeah parasites is what I meant. Thanks Bill Nye.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

ColHannibal posted:

Freezing can kill bacteria at certain temperatures through cellular destruction.
It can, but that's not what you're worried about. It doesn't do it reliably at household freezer temperatures, and it doesn't do it consistently for different strains of foodborne bacteria (e.g. E. Coli). If you're depending on freezing to kill bacteria, don't. You are mistaken.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Hey, I can't remember the steak cooking method of slowly cooking it while spooning butter over the steak in a cast iron pan. Degasse or something method! Help!

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
Safeway never seems to stock bosten butts. What's another place I could get one in Northern California?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Lullabee posted:

Safeway never seems to stock bosten butts. What's another place I could get one in Northern California?

99 ranch market, food4less (kroger), lion supermarket, island pacific.

It may also be under a different name. Like pork shoulder or picnic ham.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

SubG posted:

It can, but that's not what you're worried about. It doesn't do it reliably at household freezer temperatures, and it doesn't do it consistently for different strains of foodborne bacteria (e.g. E. Coli). If you're depending on freezing to kill bacteria, don't. You are mistaken.

I just like to argue semantics with the Nobel Winning GWS guru though.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Sevryn posted:

I'm looking for a recipe that was posted here earlier this year. It was like sweet potato and peanut butter stew with tomatoes, ginger and cilantro I believe. I've tried searching for it but haven't had any luck. Made it once before and it was really good, was going to try and make it again tonight.

Thanks!

Also, to the poster above me, maybe a Puerco Pibil or Pastor?

BAM!

quote:

˝ cup olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
˝ cup minced garlic
˝ cup minced ginger
˝ tablespoon black pepper
2 to 3 pounds winter squash (butternut or acorn), peeled, cubed
1 quart tomato juice
1 can (20 ounces) diced tomatoes
˝ tablespoon salt
1 medium bunch cilantro, stems removed, chopped
1 cup plain peanut butter
cooked brown rice

In large sauté pan, heat olive oil. Add onions, garlic, ginger, pepper and squash.

I added a generous sprinkle of red pepper flakes - not in the recipe but gave it a nice little kick.

Cook until ingredients start to soften, about 10 minutes.

Add tomato juice, tomatoes and salt.

Simmer until squash is tender when pierced with the tip of a sharp knife, about 5 minutes.

Now you'll want to chop up the cilantro, because if it sits around chopped it starts getting gross and wilty.

Add cilantro, then peanut butter and mix well.

Mix in, and your stew should now be a gorgeous orangey color.

Simmer the stew until thickened, about 10 minutes. It should be the consistency of a thick stew.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Doh004 posted:

Hey, I can't remember the steak cooking method of slowly cooking it while spooning butter over the steak in a cast iron pan. Degasse or something method! Help!
Ducasse. It's French for `overcooked'.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea

Doh004 posted:

ducasse

^^ :argh:

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

SubG posted:

Ducasse. It's French for `overcooked'.

You were right :saddowns:

Thanks though.

Hawkeye
Jun 2, 2003

SubG posted:

just to follow up on this: labs like the one I work in quick freeze bacteria in liquid nitrogen (or ethanol-dry ice baths) all the time and the bacteria survive well. Granted, we add glycerol to retard killing but if you forget the glycerol you will still have a large number of viable bacteria. Bacteria are strong creatures. You can even freeze dry them and they will pop right back to life upon throwing a little bit into some fresh media.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
What's the coffee:water ratio (by weight) for a French press?

Edit: just got The Bread Bakers Apprentice--any must-try breads in it?

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jun 21, 2012

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

PRADA SLUT posted:

Edit: just got The Bread Bakers Apprentice--any must-try breads in it?
The challah recipe is killer. So is the pain a l'ancienne. It is so, so good.

I can't wait for the weather to get cooler to get back to baking (I don't have air conditioning)

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011
Just a quick question related to the bacteria chat, if I used some leftover pulled pork in a curry and then had leftovers of that curry, would I be alright reheating the pork a third time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

tomkash posted:

Just a quick question related to the bacteria chat, if I used some leftover pulled pork in a curry and then had leftovers of that curry, would I be alright reheating the pork a third time?

Has it been refrigerated? Then yes.