Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Timby posted:

God, Symon is so amazing -- I don't think Food Network has anyone more charismatic than him, outside of possibly Alton Brown. I was so depressed when his episodes of Dinner: Impossible tanked in the ratings, leading FN to re-hire Robert Irvine, who's just a smarmy douchebag.

He really is. Cook Like an Iron Chef is a great show that's just a ton of fun to watch, and the guy seems like a genuinely nice person. Dude can definitely cook, too, but he's just insanely personable. The more I've learned about Alton, the more I realize he definitely can have a dickish streak, but Symon is just a guy who loves to cook and is nice to everyone while it does it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Is it weird to mention that I've been watching The Chew recently, just to see Symon hitting it off with the cohosts while making drat good looking food?

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
Michael Symon's laugh is one of the most infectious and wonderful sounds on television. It's almost enough to make me not notice that he starts nearly every dish description on ICA with "Okayyouguys".

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Honestly I think this is the best season of NFNS yet. Yeah, the actual show itself is pretty contrived and ridiculous thanks to the team format, and the challenges make little sense in the scheme of training someone to be a star. All that said, Yvan, Ippi, Martita, Justin, and Michelle would all have a decent show I think.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS

iastudent posted:

Is it weird to mention that I've been watching The Chew recently, just to see Symon hitting it off with the cohosts while making drat good looking food?

I watch the Chew on my lunch break sometimes. Simon and Batali make that show actually good enough to pass time with.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Christopher Irvine posted:

Michael Symon's laugh is one of the most infectious and wonderful sounds on television. It's almost enough to make me not notice that he starts nearly every dish description on ICA with "Okayyouguys".

I've just been Fed Ex arrowed! I hope I forget this before the next episode of ICA he's in.

So, judging by this thread, I am glad I have skipped Mystery Diners, since it seems to be the exact same show I was ranting about earlier in the thread under a different name.

This is the first season of NFNS I have been able to sit through, but I agree the format has nothing to do with the prize at all, and the judging of the contestants tends to be inconsistent and picky. They got rid of the chunky bow tie dude because he seemed to fake, but his on camera persona wasn't any faker or showy than a bunch of other people they have had on the network before. I dunno.

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jun 21, 2012

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Just imagine a guy saying "That's my daughter, you dirtbag"

Then imagine a guy pretending to be a server who likes to sniff the hair of 18 year old girls.

Hey Girl
Sep 24, 2004

Kung Fu Jesus posted:

No one else strikes me as TV worthy.

I can see Michelle have a show something like Chuck's Day Off and I'd watch the hell out of it. I like Emily too. I like Justin but I don't really understand his POV or rather how it would actually translate into a show.

I'm really enjoying seeing this side of Alton Brown which is probably the best part of the whole show as far as I'm concerned.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I guess they're doing reruns of Sweet Genius season 1 right now. They, and Ron Ben-Israel by extension, just aren't as fun as the latest one. :(

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

iastudent posted:

I guess they're doing reruns of Sweet Genius season 1 right now. They, and Ron Ben-Israel by extension, just aren't as fun as the latest one. :(

Yeah. I really hope they give him a third season though, the second has actually been pretty good. That first season probably did too much damage though. :saddowns:

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Ron Ben can eye gently caress the male chefs for the next decade as far as I'm concerned. Sweet Genius is the B horror movie of cooking shows.

Wiggly
Aug 26, 2000

Number one on the ice, number one in my heart
Fun Shoe

ToastyPotato posted:

and the judging of the contestants tends to be inconsistent and picky. They got rid of the chunky bow tie dude because he seemed to fake, but his on camera persona wasn't any faker or showy than a bunch of other people they have had on the network before. I dunno.

The judging always drive my wife and I crazy for poo poo like this. Two years ago when Kelsey Nixon was on, the judges kept giving her grief for being young and saying things like "we don't think she has the experience to be our star". OK, so then why the gently caress did you put her on the show if she doesn't have experience??

Of course, the best part is she now has a show on the Cooking Channel and as outlasted many other so-called winners.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
The judging that makes my eyes roll is when a non white person makes a modern dish and they something like, "I'm disappointed that you didn't present us anything from your asian/african/cuban/indian heritage." You know, because if you are Asian then you automatically know how to make Peking duck, right?

I mean, they never say to white people, "Wow. I was totally expecting you to make a hamburger with mac and cheese."

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Usually their cultural heritage is their POV, so its partly the fault of the contenders who don't have anything more interesting about themselves other than their racial heritage.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Wiggly posted:

Of course, the best part is she now has a show on the Cooking Channel and as outlasted many other so-called winners.

Bob Tuschman had the gall to whine about how little he likes "characters" and how quickly they wear thin in terms of cooking shows.

*cough* bitchin kitchen *cough*

Though I don't know the specifics on how FN ended up with Cooking Channel and, if so, what if any authority he has over what happens there. Maybe he's privately seething over Bitchin Kitchen.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Bonzo posted:

The judging that makes my eyes roll is when a non white person makes a modern dish and they something like, "I'm disappointed that you didn't present us anything from your asian/african/cuban/indian heritage." You know, because if you are Asian then you automatically know how to make Peking duck, right?

I mean, they never say to white people, "Wow. I was totally expecting you to make a hamburger with mac and cheese."

They had the opposite thing happen on the first season of Next Iron Chef with Aarón Sanchez. He kept making typical Latin style dishes and they kept telling him that he was good but they needed to see SOME range outside of his comfort zone and he took it as a major insult and lost.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

I still remember Susie Jimenez from last year. It was kind of hilarious, starting with a woman who was assertive and said "I don't just make Mexican food!" The judges questioned her in the first episode, asking why she made French food and didn't stick to her native heritage.

As the season went on, she just slowly started turning into a caricature because she wasn't being ethnic enough for the judges. And then they heard about her dead father, and made sure she mentioned it at every chance. At the end of the season, she was a wreck that would do anything the judges said. Hell, if Tushie said to cook in a sombrero, she would gladly put one on and talk about how it made her feel closer to her dead father, who was dead by the way, and used to cook for her mom in authentic Mexican garb before he died of death.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

axleblaze posted:

They had the opposite thing happen on the first season of Next Iron Chef with Aarón Sanchez. He kept making typical Latin style dishes and they kept telling him that he was good but they needed to see SOME range outside of his comfort zone and he took it as a major insult and lost.

Any positive thoughts I had about Aarón were swiftly destroyed when I watched the premiere of "Heat Seekers". His brosona is like night and day compared to everything else I'd seen.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Captain Capitalism posted:

I still remember Susie Jimenez from last year. It was kind of hilarious, starting with a woman who was assertive and said "I don't just make Mexican food!" The judges questioned her in the first episode, asking why she made French food and didn't stick to her native heritage.

This happens in Top Chef sometimes as well, you're damned if you do, damned if you don't stick with cooking your 'ethnic' identity food.

If you're Latino/Asian/Indian and don't want to cook those, you're usually screwed.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Christopher Irvine posted:

Any positive thoughts I had about Aarón were swiftly destroyed when I watched the premiere of "Heat Seekers". His brosona is like night and day compared to everything else I'd seen.

That show just makes me laugh at him and that Roger Mooking guy sweating their asses off.

Mooking especially because of his terrible Cooking Channel show in which he constantly referred to his 'obedient ingredient' and making me want to stab him through his eyeball.

Also Sanchez doesn't seem to quite have the tolerance for hot food he thinks he does.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Red Warrior posted:

This happens in Top Chef sometimes as well, you're damned if you do, damned if you don't stick with cooking your 'ethnic' identity food.

If you're Latino/Asian/Indian and don't want to cook those, you're usually screwed.
This rarely happens in Top Chef - my only recollection is people wanting Hung to cook Vietnamese and he never did and won anyways.

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

lol jews gonna get fucked.

Captain Capitalism posted:

As the season went on, she just slowly started turning into a caricature because she wasn't being ethnic enough for the judges. And then they heard about her dead father, and made sure she mentioned it at every chance. At the end of the season, she was a wreck that would do anything the judges said. Hell, if Tushie said to cook in a sombrero, she would gladly put one on and talk about how it made her feel closer to her dead father, who was dead by the way, and used to cook for her mom in authentic Mexican garb before he died of death.

The whole idea that a winning contestant is one who cooks their heritage and provides a relatable story to the audience is such bullshit. Bobby Flay, the whitest guy there is, cooks southwest style food and never provides any personal stories, except once in a while on Brunch with Bobby. Really, no one gives a poo poo about that stuff.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Does Guy Fieri even give a poo poo about Italian food?? Because that is probably the most damning of them all.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

ToastyPotato posted:

I've just been Fed Ex arrowed! I hope I forget this before the next episode of ICA he's in.

He's saying it to his helpers. Remember, the premise of his show is that he's sort of explaining what's going to happen not just to the viewers, but to his assistants as well (which is why they do that goofy lightboard ingredient sketch thing at the beginning).

Now if you want something that will really destroy your ability to watch someone on Food Network, note how many times Tyler Florence starts his sentences with "alright". Except it's like an involuntary sound that comes out as "narraight" almost Every. Single. Sentence.

"Narright. Narright. Narright."

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

SamBishop posted:

He's saying it to his helpers. Remember, the premise of his show is that he's sort of explaining what's going to happen not just to the viewers, but to his assistants as well (which is why they do that goofy lightboard ingredient sketch thing at the beginning).

Now if you want something that will really destroy your ability to watch someone on Food Network, note how many times Tyler Florence starts his sentences with "alright". Except it's like an involuntary sound that comes out as "narraight" almost Every. Single. Sentence.

"Narright. Narright. Narright."
Alton Brown has a ..uh.. subtlety to how he talks on ..uh.. tv.

Then there's Marc Summers who says an entire sentence in one go except for the last

two words

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The thing I like about NFNS, and also liked about the show America's Next Great Restaurant on NBC, which also featured Flay, is that they push the horrible corporate people right to the front as judges. You get to hear things like, "I'm not a fan of your mantra" and "I get the sense that you're doubting your concept". These are things that human beings shouldn't say and you get to gawk at these horrible, soulless people and be amazed that nobody calls them out on it throughout the entire ordeal.

I view both shows as dark comedies, basically.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
I was amazed that they let the Asian guy (the hell was his name?) on Next Food Network Star cook food instead of sushi potstickers.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Watching that Mystery Diners show holy crap this is worse than I even thought. Some son of the owner is upset that he gets no respect from the head chef, who apparently is pretty good at what he does. Could it be because he's a smarmy entitled little bastard? No way. Supposedly the father is completely oblivious to this and instead of either trusting his son and firing the chef, or telling his son to man up and earn respect, decides to bring in the mystery diners.

They set up the woman mystery diner as a trainee waitress and she outright says her aim is to prove he has anger issues, so they have her annoy the poo poo out of the chef, who is trying to run a busy kitchen, until he gets pissed off and angry. Then they send in the son to the confront him about yelling at the waitress. It's crazy, yeah he's annoyed as he tells the son, who again is interrupting service, because it's not his job to train her in the middle of a busy service, and the son yells back. Finally they all confront the chef, tell him and the son they need to work better together and then everyone is a supposedly happy family.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Joementum posted:

The thing I like about NFNS, and also liked about the show America's Next Great Restaurant on NBC, which also featured Flay, is that they push the horrible corporate people right to the front as judges. You get to hear things like, "I'm not a fan of your mantra" and "I get the sense that you're doubting your concept". These are things that human beings shouldn't say and you get to gawk at these horrible, soulless people and be amazed that nobody calls them out on it throughout the entire ordeal.

Then at the last second on Next Great Restaurant they ditch the well off investment banker with a better concept for the unemployed guy who "needs" it more. I live in Minneapolis so I went to his place (at the Mall of America in Bloomington gently caress you that's not Minneapolis) and holy gently caress it was terrible.

Not so much that it was terrible, but more that I paid $7 for a small mediocre pulled pork sandwich. It was worth about $2 at the most, and I would need at least two of them to make any sizeable meal. I think the thing lasted less than two months, and that was the one that lasted the longest.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
Tonight's NFNS made it seem like half of the competitors are in a race for last place, but at least we're getting some more clear frontrunners. For someone I would often forget was even on the show, I was really loving impressed by Yvan's story. I genuinely hope Retro Rad sought therapy after her discussion with Alton. :ohdear:

Boardroom Jimmy
Aug 20, 2006

Ahhh ballet

The Merkinman posted:

Then there's Marc Summers who says an entire sentence in one go except for the last

two words

Marc Summers is also incapable of describing something without using alliteration. Count how many he uses on a typical episode of Unwrapped and you'll never not notice it again.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

Joementum posted:

NGR was so horrible because the requirements the chefs put on each restaurant were ridiculous. Curtis Stone complained about how one restaurant "doesn't have anything you can walk down the street and eat, like Chipotle does". Who the gently caress walks down the street eating Chipotle? And don't get me started on how Bobby Flay ruined MeltWorks with his insistence on "dipping sauces" for the sandwiches. Who needs a "dipping sauce" for a grilled cheese?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Brocktoon posted:

NGR was so horrible because the requirements the chefs put on each restaurant were ridiculous. Curtis Stone complained about how one restaurant "doesn't have anything you can walk down the street and eat, like Chipotle does". Who the gently caress walks down the street eating Chipotle? And don't get me started on how Bobby Flay ruined MeltWorks with his insistence on "dipping sauces" for the sandwiches. Who needs a "dipping sauce" for a grilled cheese?

I dunno, you could probably dip it in more cheese and not ruin the integrity of the sandwich.

Alternatively, take the cheese off the sandwich, present it with the cheese on the side for dipping. BAM! Deconstruction.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Ketchup is the only thing I can think of for dipping grilled cheese in. Oh, and tomato soup.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Is there anything Curtis Stone isn't a total moron in?

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

No Wave posted:

Is there anything Curtis Stone isn't a total moron in?

A local grocery chain here has an entire aisle devoted to cookware with his name on it and he appears in just about every commercial for them nowadays.

Every time I go to restock the pantry, I'm reminded of him. :negative:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

iastudent posted:

A local grocery chain here has an entire aisle devoted to cookware with his name on it and he appears in just about every commercial for them nowadays.

Every time I go to restock the pantry, I'm reminded of him. :negative:
I know that Around the World in 80 Plates is Bravo but this is the closest possible thread so gently caress it.

It makes my loving blood boil when in that show he tries to tell real actual people actually working at cooking food that they're not committed to making good food.

It's his loving show's fault that they'll reward people for watering down juice, and the fact that he's not taking any responsibility for it is cowardly and pathetic. That he'd hold it against the contestants means he's a real dumb loving prick. This is after the Italian grandma kerfluffle where he doesn't understand that its his own loving fault that people couldn't understand her because his loving producers didn't provide a translator. How much of a poo poo can you be) He's absolutely loathsome. At least Acheson gets it on the blogs.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jun 25, 2012

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Bonzo posted:

Ketchup is the only thing I can think of for dipping grilled cheese in. Oh, and tomato soup.

I dip grilled cheese in sriracha. Am I horrible?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

iastudent posted:

Hy-Vee isn't local -- it has more than 200 stores across eight states. And, yes, those commercials are intolerable. I thought I had escaped him when I moved from Dubuque to Madison, but Hy-Vee decided OH HEY WE'RE GOING TO WISCONSIN :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Timby posted:

Hy-Vee isn't local -- it has more than 200 stores across eight states. And, yes, those commercials are intolerable. I thought I had escaped him when I moved from Dubuque to Madison, but Hy-Vee decided OH HEY WE'RE GOING TO WISCONSIN :suicide:

By "local" I was talking more about the midwest. :shobon:

• Locked thread