Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

Edison Carter posted:

Heh, I've kind of been curious. Was I the only person that initially scowled at that Final Fantasy rhythm game coming to the 3DS, but had a complete 180 about it when I realized it was made by Indies Zer0? I loved Retro Game Challenge so damned much that I would give just about anything they put out a try.
I didn't know (or I did, but forgot) they worked on that. I'm actually pretty excited for that game since I really like a lot of the music from the FF games (mostly Nobuo Uetmatsu's stuff, but some of the FFXIII music wasn't too bad).

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

At this point, they'd probably consider localizing a DS game and releasing it now to be unprofitable. They could very well be right. I don't know if many people would buy it other than hardcore GCCX fans, and there really isn't a whole lot of us.

rdbbb posted:

Dream a little dream, friend.
I know... :smith:

As an alternative, I always thought that a Wii U compilation of both games would be really awesome to see. You could use the tablet controller much like the bottom screen on the DS for taking notes, checking the in-game magazines/instruction manuals, and playing the games on it if someone else wants to use the TV. They could even add multiplayer games to it since it can be played on the TV (or the tablet screen) instead of a handheld. I know I brought this up before in the previous thread, but I still think it would work if it's not a lazy port with horrible upscaled graphics (much like that Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles game that was released on the Wii and DS). :shobon:

I could see that selling pretty well assuming the DVDs do well enough and the show gets a lot more exposure, which was the first game's problem since it was released when the show was extremely unknown outside of Japan.

Obeast fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Jun 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
In the 2nd DS game, I did not know that the credits minigame was easier if you play as the girl. That was a great tip I learned from the Fukuoka episode. Hope to see more subs for season 10 so we can see the segment for the behind the scenes for the 2nd DS game.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Corridor posted:

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West is supposed to be quite good.

It isn't. Setting aside the inherently creepy overtones of the plot which are never addressed (it's one for it to be bad game writing, but this is some exceptionally bad stuff) it's a game built on 3D platforming as its game play but offers no exploration or challenge in the platforming (you automatically move to the next spot you have to jump to). And it's only about five or six hours long though since it's so uninteresting that's probably for the best.

Edison Carter posted:

Heh, I've kind of been curious. Was I the only person that initially scowled at that Final Fantasy rhythm game coming to the 3DS, but had a complete 180 about it when I realized it was made by Indies Zer0? I loved Retro Game Challenge so damned much that I would give just about anything they put out a try.

I didn't turn around on it. While I don't like the Final Fantasy series I have to admit that they have fairly consistently had great music and I like rhythm games so I was kind of interested to begin with. Then I heard indiesZero was doing it and I preordered.

As for the possibility of a GCCX:Arino's Challenge 2 coming stateside, you've got maybe a one year window where this could happen. The DS is on the way out and they'll need to decide to bring it over really soon if they're going to be able to sell any copies.

I'd hold out more hope for a new GCCX game for the 3DS.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Obeast posted:

I just checked the fan translation's site and it hasn't been updated since January. I'm aware that the guys working on this are doing it as a hobby/side-project and they're probably busy with real life stuff like work, school, family, etc., so I'm still hoping that this gets finished and we all can finally play the Great Chief Detective. :)

gently caress it, at this point I might as well just learn Japanese. Maybe I'll be able to play it this time next year if I really hit the books. I won't be fluent but I might at least be able to muddle through somehow.

aaagh why do I have to learn things why can't the information just be downloaded directly into my brain :argh:

Random Stranger posted:

It isn't. Setting aside the inherently creepy overtones of the plot which are never addressed (it's one for it to be bad game writing, but this is some exceptionally bad stuff) it's a game built on 3D platforming as its game play but offers no exploration or challenge in the platforming (you automatically move to the next spot you have to jump to). And it's only about five or six hours long though since it's so uninteresting that's probably for the best.

Lame. I kinda lost interest in it once I learned that the full extent of their implementation of JTTW was HEY THERE IS A CLIMBING FIGHTING DUDE AND A PIG GUY AND THE GIRL IS TRIP. but I was hoping that it might at least have decent playability.

Arthur D Wolfe
Sep 26, 2007

"Holy shit you are a
loathsome jerk, Arthur.
"
This post can safely be ignored since it was the result of a brain fart. Sorry folks!

Arthur D Wolfe fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jun 22, 2012

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Arthur D Wolfe posted:

Not to mention that the actual ending chapters are DLC and the "real ending" has a To Be Continued screen. CAPCOM has pretty much gone insane with the nickle-and-dime tactics.

I think you're mistaking Asura's Wrath for Enslaved.

I don't know, I personally enjoyed Enslaved, though I don't think I would have enjoyed it as much if I had paid more than $20 for it. The combat is fun enough that I'm looking forward to the new DMC and the overall plot is ok (with a really well done ending). The platforming however is even more linear than Uncharted, in that the game will not let you jump to your death when hanging. I solved climbing segments by wildly moving the analog stick in a general direction while mashing the A button.

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

"I'm here for you. To make children smile, to make profits rise, I am the subservient of the network.

"... did we get all that on tape?"

Random Stranger posted:

I'd hold out more hope for a new GCCX game for the 3DS.

I don't know if I'd be on board with that. Part of the whole idea is "Games as they would be in the '80s," so how would you even go about adding 3D into that equation? Either have all the action on the bottom screen and just render player+Arino in 3D, or try to scrounge together enough games that look like they might work with that weird Sega Master System or Famicom 3D headsets. Hell, I don't even know if enough people remember those for such a thing to be feasible.

Alternately, instead of a full retail release, I think there'd be room for single-game releases on the 3DS Shop. Basically, you'd get one such retro-styled game, "Hosted" by Arino (or Kid Arino). That way, you could cross-release for DSi and 3DS, and not be strongarmed into making "3D" retro games.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
3DS games aren't required to be in 3D. It could just shut off 3D when you start one of the games. Maybe include something like physical toys that you do see in 3D as well, like that Hudson button pressing speed checker.

Arthur D Wolfe
Sep 26, 2007

"Holy shit you are a
loathsome jerk, Arthur.
"

Vlaphor posted:

I think you're mistaking Asura's Wrath for Enslaved.
:downs:
Thanks for catching that Vlaphor, going to edit my post.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

NBHS posted:

Alternately, instead of a full retail release, I think there'd be room for single-game releases on the 3DS Shop. Basically, you'd get one such retro-styled game, "Hosted" by Arino (or Kid Arino). That way, you could cross-release for DSi and 3DS, and not be strongarmed into making "3D" retro games.

Besides what's already mentioned I have two words for you: mechanical games.

Flick those 10 yen coins and use those crane games in 3D!

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

Besides what's already mentioned I have two words for you: mechanical games.

Flick those 10 yen coins and use those crane games in 3D!

Crane game is a perfect use for 3D!

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Crane games over here are always really expensive. :( At least in Australia and UK. They never really caught on here because of the prices. I see them from time to time, nobody ever using them. They look pretty fun, too.

Might be fun in a virtual mode, though I dunno how well the rear end in a top hat mechanics/physics would copy over from real life. If it's not being a giant dick and taunting you constantly, it's not a true crane game.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

The next step up from Swapnote:

And to think I got a Japanese 3DS so I could write about a dating sim.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
For people who missed the Kirby Special last night, someone posted it on YT.

Part 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4_7eeM9lDo

Part 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jG_Vd76HvRs

In episode #142 (Captain Tsubasa Part 2), it mentions that the GCCX in USA DVD will include the Kotaku version of the Golden Axe episode. Is this the bonus challenge for the DVD. Hope there is another bonus challenge.

Here is the hint for the next episode(#143).

joek0 fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jun 22, 2012

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

rdbbb posted:

The next step up from Swapnote:

And to think I got a Japanese 3DS so I could write about a dating sim.
You... Lucky... Bastard! :argh:

How is he in Find Mii and Find Mii II?

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
In the new episode(#142) Tamage Segment, he plays some more Metal Slug(plays 3 and 5). Hope he does a Metal Slug challenge one day.

Zackcat
Nov 28, 2009

Let me tell you about Silent Hill Visual Novels~
So I took the two raw parts and spliced them together. If anyone wanted it.

Kirby Special
http://www.mediafire.com/?9m4ncxdk8wjh448

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

I absentmindedly sent him to Mii Maker beforehand.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Still no RGM DVD on Amazon, but it's on Right Stuf for $45.

Shady3011
Oct 21, 2008

At this point, they'd probably consider localizing a DS game and releasing it now to be unprofitable. They could very well be right. I don't know if many people would buy it other than hardcore GCCX fans, and there really isn't a whole lot of us.

Xseed's expectations for the first game were ridiculous though. 100,000 copies for a game that only a small percentage of purchasers would know the source material for? I mean, this is the same company that put out that Wizard of Oz RPG on the DS and that was even more niche than Retro Game Challenge.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shady3011 posted:

Xseed's expectations for the first game were ridiculous though. 100,000 copies for a game that only a small percentage of purchasers would know the source material for? I mean, this is the same company that put out that Wizard of Oz RPG on the DS and that was even more niche than Retro Game Challenge.

You don't really need to know GCCX to enjoy Retro Game Challenge. I played it before I was aware of GCCX and I enjoyed it thoroughly. It's aimed at nostalgia more than fans of the show. They should have marketed it better.

Shady3011
Oct 21, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

You don't really need to know GCCX to enjoy Retro Game Challenge. I played it before I was aware of GCCX and I enjoyed it thoroughly. It's aimed at nostalgia more than fans of the show. They should have marketed it better.

I believe they were hoping the brand would make it sell more. :confused:

Toad King
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, I'm the best

Zackcat posted:

So I took the two raw parts and spliced them together. If anyone wanted it.

Kirby Special
http://www.mediafire.com/?9m4ncxdk8wjh448

poo poo, you just reminded me I managed to get a stream rip of the original file copied and uploaded last night but I forgot to post it.

Here's mine if anyone cares, has a little better quality: http://205.185.121.7/120622_m2.f4v (my server)

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Shady3011 posted:

From what I recall, they were planning on releasing the game in tandem with a localised broadcast of the show, but the licensees of the show never followed through.

Shady3011
Oct 21, 2008

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

From what I recall, they were planning on releasing the game in tandem with a localised broadcast of the show, but the licensees of the show never followed through.

That would make the most sense, but they should have revised their numbers when that fell through. In hindsight, hoping that the game would do well on its 8-bit throwback games alone was misguided.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I was told early on by XSeed that they had no idea what was going on with RGM. From all accounts, they localized the game because they wanted to.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

rdbbb posted:

I absentmindedly sent him to Mii Maker beforehand.

Could you post his QR code?

For anyone who doesnt have the RGC game/manual, this was on the back.

I remember being so psyched all those years ago...

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Gutcruncher posted:

Could you post his QR code?

For some insane reason, special miis like that are actually region locked.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Shady3011 posted:

That would make the most sense, but they should have revised their numbers when that fell through. In hindsight, hoping that the game would do well on its 8-bit throwback games alone was misguided.

Revise what numbers? The game failed to turn a profit, that's the long and short of it. It not meeting their expectations became irrelevant once it became apparent that the game lost them money. If they were banking on cross promotional capabilities but the show deal fell through, then they probably did revise their estimates but they can't retroactively revise the budget for a project already completed or mostly complete.

What's the source on the 100,000 thing anyways? For the record, 100,000 sales is a pretty modest number. That's not exactly blockbuster territory. That's "average third party game" territory. Failure to meet that number isn't because they set their expectations too high.

Shady3011 posted:

I believe they were hoping the brand would make it sell more. :confused:

I never got that impression. The vast majority of all marketing I saw tried to play on people's nostalgia. It's not like they expected people to know who Arino was.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.

I never got that impression. The vast majority of all marketing I saw tried to play on people's nostalgia. It's not like they expected people to know who Arino was.

Yeah, it was just billed as a collection of new retro games. I enjoyed my time with it but it didn't stick with me so much that I didn't eventually trade it in. Now that I know who Arino really is and the true nature of the game, I wish I hadn't.

Shady3011
Oct 21, 2008

Revise what numbers? The game failed to turn a profit, that's the long and short of it. It not meeting their expectations became irrelevant once it became apparent that the game lost them money. If they were banking on cross promotional capabilities but the show deal fell through, then they probably did revise their estimates but they can't retroactively revise the budget for a project already completed or mostly complete.

What's the source on the 100,000 thing anyways? For the record, 100,000 sales is a pretty modest number. That's not exactly blockbuster territory. That's "average third party game" territory. Failure to meet that number isn't because they set their expectations too high.

Losing money on it would come from sales expectations as that would dictate how many copies they would make. All this did was help Xseed realize how this niche market works. Let's be honest here, 100,000 for this game would be a lot outside of Japan. Very few niche games ever reach that number here in the west. I know for bigger game releases that's small potatoes (more like bad numbers) but not so for these smaller releases. I guess what I took away from reading about this game was that Xseed overestimated sales and learned from that with future releases. It's definitely helped them with profits as Corpse Party has shown.

As for the numbers thing, that was me not remembering the interview correctly. It needed to sell 100,000 more to see the sequel get localized. So added to whatever it sold before that interview that is a lofty goal for this game. Compared to what they had put out before RGC I can't see how they thought this was a realistic goal.

http://www.siliconera.com/2009/06/24/the-state-of-xseed-interview/

Sorry if I'm coming off as abrasive. I'm just surprised at how Xseed approached this release than any real frustration of them not localizing the second game. It's a moot point now as they seem more focused on PSP/Vita releases with other platform releases peppered in.

Famibomb
Sep 2, 2011

Shady3011 posted:

words words words CORPSE PARTY words

Where da funk is my translated Corpse Party sequel, Xseed?

I need to bear witness to more buttered poopers.

Shady3011
Oct 21, 2008

Famibomb posted:

Where da funk is my translated Corpse Party sequel, Xseed?

I need to bear witness to more buttered poopers.

It be great if they bring over that rom-com spin-off as well. It looks awesomely absurd.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You guys should check out the manga! (Under no circumstances actually do this.)

Erwin Tuwonwon
Oct 30, 2011

Shady3011 posted:

I mean, this is the same company that put out that Wizard of Oz RPG on the DS and that was even more niche than Retro Game Challenge.

I love that game. Warts and all, it's still pretty beautiful, and that art style... man.

More on topic, I SOOO want a 3DS RGC.

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

hardcore sound gets you hypah

elf help book posted:

Crane game is a perfect use for 3D!
I would unashamedly buy a 3DS crane game simulator/trainer.

Thanks once again to the crew for their continuing work, this is awesome stuff.

Rap Music and Dope
Dec 25, 2010
For some reason Euros really suck to
I just watched the USA special. Jesus christ, that soundtrack. Nothing like Born in the USA unironically playing as Arino flys to Hollywood. Also, We Built this City....

Heti
May 22, 2007

I like Video Games

Rap Music and Dope posted:

I just watched the USA special. Jesus christ, that soundtrack. Nothing like Born in the USA unironically playing as Arino flys to Hollywood. Also, We Built this City....

I love the clips they play in between segments too. Arino doing American things like "Sitting on a bench reading a newspaper" and "leaning against a wall" and "walking down a desert road".

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Heti posted:

I love the clips they play in between segments too. Arino doing American things like "Sitting on a bench reading a newspaper" and "leaning against a wall" and "walking down a desert road".

It's like they understand the life of Americans perfectly. These are daily activities for me, and frankly, I'm proud that Arino could adapt to American culture so perfectly!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Heti posted:

You forgot "wearing sunglasses."

I hear that's real, though. Aren't sunglasses not a common thing in Japan?