Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dangerous Mind
Apr 20, 2011

math is magical
Hi guys I'm having a problem with the monitor I just bought a couple days ago. It has blurry/fuzzy words every couple lines and I'm not sure why. Here is a pic I snapped to show the fuzziness: i.imgur.com/aqHzx.png

Also here is the newegg page of the monitor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236153&Tpk=N82E16824236153

Any idea why this is happening and how I can fix it would be greatly appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingChicken
Apr 17, 2001
I am torn between picking up a Dell U2312HM or a U2412M - the 24' is on sale right now, $25 more than the U2312HM, though that may go on sale again soon.

Aside from being an "inch" bigger, can anyone comment on the differences between the two displays?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I've been looking into calibrators. Specifically, maybe a Spyder4Express. How does software registration work, exactly? It sounds like you have to run their bullshit proprietary software, and if you try to run it on more than one computer it won't let you. Is this how all color calibrators work?

Also, it seems like the suggestions in the OP are sort of out of date now, as several of those are harder to find now.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jun 23, 2012

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

KingChicken posted:

I am torn between picking up a Dell U2312HM or a U2412M - the 24' is on sale right now, $25 more than the U2312HM, though that may go on sale again soon.

Aside from being an "inch" bigger, can anyone comment on the differences between the two displays?

Different aspect ratio - take a look at the 1920x1200 vs 1920x1080 section of the OP

existential anger
Jun 4, 2012

U2312HM generally also has worse contrast than the U2412M. The U2412M is the better monitor in just about every way unless you want to plug your PS3 into it.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007

Cream_Filling posted:

I've been looking into calibrators. Specifically, maybe a Spyder4Express. How does software registration work, exactly? It sounds like you have to run their bullshit proprietary software, and if you try to run it on more than one computer it won't let you. Is this how all color calibrators work?

Also, it seems like the suggestions in the OP are sort of out of date now, as several of those are harder to find now.

With some calibrators (like my Colormunki Design), the restrictions are mostly a license thing, where there's nothing actively preventing you from using it on multiple computers. I'm not sure if that's the case with the Spyder4Express.

I do remember reading that the Pro and Elite versions have the same hardware, just different (purposely gimped) software, but I'm not sure if the same extends to the Express as well. In any case, there is also third party software you can buy (many with trials) that will allow more extensive profiling.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Dangerous Mind posted:

Hi guys I'm having a problem with the monitor I just bought a couple days ago. It has blurry/fuzzy words every couple lines and I'm not sure why. Here is a pic I snapped to show the fuzziness: i.imgur.com/aqHzx.png
In that you seem to have used a screenshot, rather than an actual picture of the screen, there's no fuzziness there that I can see. I'll assume that you actually are suffering from it, though, and my first questions are whether or not you're running it at the native resolution, and whether you've tried a different monitor cable.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

rawrr posted:

With some calibrators (like my Colormunki Design), the restrictions are mostly a license thing, where there's nothing actively preventing you from using it on multiple computers. I'm not sure if that's the case with the Spyder4Express.

I do remember reading that the Pro and Elite versions have the same hardware, just different (purposely gimped) software, but I'm not sure if the same extends to the Express as well. In any case, there is also third party software you can buy (many with trials) that will allow more extensive profiling.

I think the Spyder express software requires online activation/registration of some sort, and only lets you use it on a single machine. At least, that's what the website seems to say.

Purposely gimped software is pretty much total bullshit, though. Is here any decent free/open source sort of software out there? I'll buy whatever works with that, then. If I'm paying $150-200, I want to be able to use it on everything, even my TV.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
The open source calibration software is called Argyll, but it's command line only. Someone wrote a GUI for it though, at http://dispcalgui.hoech.net/

Both the Spyder 3 and 4 are supported, although the GUI doesn't exactly look user friendly.

Commercial calibration software are all $100+.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
This is getting a little off-topic, but what would you use to calibrate a TV? The ad copy for the Spyder or Colormunki or one of those seems to imply that you can use it to do TVs and "even iPhones," but I don't see how that would work. Do you do it through the its internal menus?

I just want poo poo to look right on the screen. This is such a basic thing and it drives me crazy that it's so drat complicated and there's nothing in between random internet self-calibration websites and pro-level equipment with clunky proprietary software.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I just picked up this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824005289 monitor as an open box at Best Buy for $180. Screen is matte finish, looks like some people have had issues with backlight bleeding but from what I've seen out of this panel it's quite fine.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Cream_Filling posted:

Purposely gimped software is pretty much total bullshit, though. Is here any decent free/open source sort of software out there? I'll buy whatever works with that, then. If I'm paying $150-200, I want to be able to use it on everything, even my TV.
Other than Argyll, you're kinda SOL on the FOSS side of the house. It's just one of those things where the assumption is that if you need to actually calibrate, you're probably able and willing to pay for it. Most of the "gimping" in the Spyder software isn't something that non-professionals would really notice, anyhow. If you really have the need to set custom white points and whatnot, you're probably using it for a business and can add that cost to the long line of things that costs more just because it's for a business. That said, almost all the software packages you might buy support a wide range of calibrators.

Cream_Filling posted:

This is getting a little off-topic, but what would you use to calibrate a TV?
When Spyder or another calibrator says it can calibrate TVs, it means TVs connected to a computer. Other than that, you're on your own. If you can find your way into the service menu (or if you're rolling old school on a big projection TV, pop the service panel off and get a diagram for all the rheostats), then you can calibrate it yourself (mostly). To do so you'd need a calibration disk, which aren't terribly expensive. Alternately there's usually a calibration thing on most THX DVDs. Then you get the fun of playing around and manually setting everything. It's a giant pain in the dick, and while you'll probably get a better picture out of it than when you started, it won't be perfect. It also may need to be done for each input you use on the TV, depending on how your particular model works. A lot of people simply give up and pay a professional to do it, rather than deal with the hassle.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jun 23, 2012

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

DrDork posted:

Other than Argyll, you're kinda SOL on the FOSS side of the house. It's just one of those things where the assumption is that if you need to actually calibrate, you're probably able and willing to pay for it. Most of the "gimping" in the Spyder software isn't something that non-professionals would really notice, anyhow. If you really have the need to set custom white points and whatnot, you're probably using it for a business and can add that cost to the long line of things that costs more just because it's for a business. That said, almost all the software packages you might buy support a wide range of calibrators.

Well, except for really basic stuff like not letting you use multiple monitors or install on more than one computer.

Yeah, there's basically zero consumer-level stuff out there and that really sucks. I'm not averse to learning a bunch of technical stuff, but it seems like basically everything is professional level, which means it's not only more expensive but there's a whole lot of bullshit added in, too. The only alternative is paying some dude like $300-500 to do it for you, which is worse.

This wouldn't be such a big deal if so many monitors and TVs didn't have such awful factory settings.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jun 23, 2012

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Cream_Filling posted:

Well, except for really basic stuff like not letting you use multiple monitors or install on more than one computer.
I think only the most basic Spyder software doesn't support multiple monitors, and most other packages support them as well. As for multiple computers...yeah, what do you want? You're not supposed to install Windows or Office on more than one computer, either. It's their software, their rules. The calibrator market is mostly aimed at people who already have dumped thousands into their monitors and use them for professional purposes, and thus don't even blink at the extra costs of the nicer software. If you want to be fancy when you calibrate you have to play their game, sadly.

You can try the ColorEyes Display Pro (fully functional) demo--for me the "30 day trial" lasted for about two years for some reason.

And yes, the state of TV calibration is pretty awful; 99% of people out there simply don't care. They think the blown out colors are prettier because of the "pop" and they turn dynamic contrast on because...well I don't really know why. But suffice to say that color accuracy hasn't been a real concern of the TV market for quite some time. So you're left with buying a $30 DVD and messing with it yourself, or being one of the 1% and paying a few hundred bucks for a pro to do it. There really isn't a lot of technical stuff to learn, though. You look online for how to get into the service menu (unless you have a TV nice enough to expose advanced color options directly), pop in the DVD, and follow it step by step to adjust the various settings to optimize your TV. It's not hard, just obnoxious and tedious.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jun 23, 2012

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Yeah, I guess I'll just have to break down and use whatever's bundled with what I buy plus one of those calibration DVDs. Thanks for your help, though. Really appreciate it. This stuff is pretty obscure for me and I was having trouble finding a place with up to date info.

One last thing: just how bad is using something like a hueypro on a wide-gamut monitor?

Thanks again.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Cream_Filling posted:

One last thing: just how bad is using something like a hueypro on a wide-gamut monitor?
Terrible. Trust me, I tried one on my U2410. Very bad results.

You can get pretty decent calibration just off most any THX DVD you have laying around. The $30 ones just step you through things a bit better and have a few more patterns and whatnot on them.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So I've worked on small deployments of xp, vista, 7 and macs. I like how in OS X you can quickly pick a calibration lut in display settings and it loads and sticks. XP didn't have this but ms provided the Color control panel power toy which did the same thing albeit with more clicks and more work to get it to auto load without using 3rd party loaders.

Last time I checked on win7 there is no built in functionality to load a color lut and you have to use a 3rd party loader. Is this still the case? I find it off that ms has those whole complicated color manaent system in win7 and it can't do the most common and basic function of loading a display lut.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120911008070

Just pulled the trigger on this. It's not guaranteed pixel perfect, but its cheaper and so is the SquareTrade, so its like I'm saving about $50. Just hope I get a good one. Also its Catleap over Potalion, which seemingly should be better? I dont know, maybe it still has the chance to overclock or something.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

VulgarandStupid posted:

Just pulled the trigger on this. It's not guaranteed pixel perfect, but its cheaper and so is the SquareTrade, so its like I'm saving about $50. Just hope I get a good one. Also its Catleap over Potalion, which seemingly should be better? I dont know, maybe it still has the chance to overclock or something.

How's the color on these? Viewing angles?

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

VulgarandStupid posted:

SquareTrade doesn't cover dead pixels, do they?

Edit: If I want one of these monitors, and I want the possibility to put it in Portrait orientation in the future, I'm better off buying a cheap one and then buying a pivoting VESA arm than spending the extra $70 on one that will pivot that way by default, right?

Thoom fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jun 24, 2012

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Thoom posted:

Edit: If I want one of these monitors, and I want the possibility to put it in Portrait orientation in the future, I'm better off buying a cheap one and then buying a pivoting VESA arm than spending the extra $70 on one that will pivot that way by default, right?
Yes. Even the "upgraded" stands are poo poo compared to a decent stand-alone one.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Neat. Just pulled the trigger on a Q270.

I was thinking that if it worked out, I'd get a triple monitor setup since they're so cheap, but I realized that they require dual link DVI and I've never seen a graphics card with more than one dual link port. Bummer.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Get one with a couple DisplayPort outputs and some DP->DVI-DL adapters. They'd be a bit pricey, but not much more on top of the three displays.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
True. They seem to run about $80-100, but that's not so terrible.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Shaocaholica posted:

How's the color on these? Viewing angles?

It's an IPS so supposedly good, but it may take some calibration. I, of course, don't have it yet since I literally just ordered it today.

Thoom posted:

SquareTrade doesn't cover dead pixels, do they?

No, but they cover it if it breaks in 3 years, since shipping it to Korea for warranty service is basically not feasible. I think you'll just get the value of the monitor back, since they probably won't service them.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

That catleap looks absurdly tempting. Quickly, someone talk me out of buying one and then having to upgrade my video card to drive that stupid high resolution.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

VorpalFish posted:

That catleap looks absurdly tempting. Quickly, someone talk me out of buying one and then having to upgrade my video card to drive that stupid high resolution.

You can find a Potalion for a couple bucks less, assuming you're talking about a catleap with the perfect pixel guarantee:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Perfect-Pix...=item20c626dcfb

So there, that's my reason for you not to get a catleap.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Are there any reviews of the Potalions and Catleaps (what strange names) showing numbers for color accuracy and viewing angle?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Shaocaholica posted:

Are there any reviews of the Potalions and Catleaps (what strange names) showing numbers for color accuracy and viewing angle?

Not really, the closest you get to a professional review is a short-ish look that ananadtech took at the shimian here:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5885/the-achieva-shimian-qh270-a-350-27inch-wqhd-sips-display

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Biggest human being Ever posted:

Not really, the closest you get to a professional review is a short-ish look that ananadtech took at the shimian here:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5885/the-achieva-shimian-qh270-a-350-27inch-wqhd-sips-display

So the CatLeap/PotatoLion use the same panel s the shimian?

e: oh apparently its the same panel as the current gen Apple Cinema 27"

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jun 24, 2012

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Shaocaholica posted:

So the CatLeap/PotatoLion use the same panel s the shimian?

Oh yea, forgot to mention but catleap, potalion, pcbank, achieva, crossover, basically any 27" monitor with 2560x1440 resolution and a ebay description thats not quite proper english uses that same high quality LG panel.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Shaocaholica posted:

Yes, although you should know that Apple, HP, Dell, and all the other big players who will charge you the thick end of a thousand bucks for one get the first pick. The Korean ebay specials tend to have more backlight bleed and more dead pixels (even the "perfect pixel guarantee" usually allows for a handful scattered across the screen). If you're looking for a flawless panel, these aren't it. But, given the price difference, most people are cool with it.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I wonder if there's a market for something in the $500/27" range with slightly better binning on the screen, built in power, more ports, USB and no goofy engrish name.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Space Gopher posted:

even the "perfect pixel guarantee" usually allows for a handful scattered across the screen

Where are you getting this from? I was under the impression that a no dead pixel guarantee means, well, just what it says. Stuck pixels is a whole nother issue of course.

TheRevolution1
Sep 21, 2011

Shaocaholica posted:

I wonder if there's a market for something in the $500/27" range with slightly better binning on the screen, built in power, more ports, USB and no goofy engrish name.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Achieva-ShiMian-27-HD16-9-DVI-D-2560x1440-Monitor-QH270-IPSMS-HDMI-D-Sub-new-/270999882834#ht_6128wt_952

This one has more inputs and some terrible speakers.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Biggest human being Ever posted:

Where are you getting this from? I was under the impression that a no dead pixel guarantee means, well, just what it says. Stuck pixels is a whole nother issue of course.

I was using "dead pixel" to refer to any defects. And here's one example:

They guarantee no stuck-off pixels, but stuck-on will still pass the test.

Shaocaholica posted:

Sure, but the whole point of these monitors is to take a nice big high-resolution IPS panel and cut every other cost to the bone. Basically, there's a bimodal thing here: you have a group of customers who want that nice panel for as little as possible, and a group of customers who are willing to pay a premium price for a top-of-the-line model. There aren't as many people who won't either eventually go for the cheapest model that meets their minimum requirements, or shell out for the very nicest regardless of cost, so there's not a ton of incentive for companies to colonize that middle ground between the two peaks.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Shaocaholica posted:

That's the one at Microcenter and stuff. Sold out in most areas, though.

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I
do any of these hilariously cheap korean setups do display port? I'd like to toss a 27inch on my '11 MBP as a desktop / multimedia setup

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Four measures of cheap Vodka combined with a bottle of Bawls
Lipstick Apathy
This goes pretty far in depth as to what the different trims offer.
http://www.swiftworld.net/2012/04/14/budget-korean-27-ips-monitor-information-and-comparison-of-the-different-brands-and-models/#QH270-LITE

From what I'm reading, the $500 dollar ones, are just the $300 ones with more ports and some basic scaling. You're better off getting an adapter of some kind and getting the cheap one.

That being said, I'm about to pull the trigger on one of these bad boys
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CROSSOVER-2...#ht_7730wt_1163

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

BrettRobb posted:

This goes pretty far in depth as to what the different trims offer.
http://www.swiftworld.net/2012/04/14/budget-korean-27-ips-monitor-information-and-comparison-of-the-different-brands-and-models/#QH270-LITE

From what I'm reading, the $500 dollar ones, are just the $300 ones with more ports and some basic scaling. You're better off getting an adapter of some kind and getting the cheap one.

That being said, I'm about to pull the trigger on one of these bad boys
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CROSSOVER-2...#ht_7730wt_1163

What kind of adapters are even out there? I'm having trouble finding something that would function as a scaler and output in a way that's compatible with one of the base model ones.