Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I didn't give Madeleine any extraneous gifts beyond what you normally need to give during her questline, and still managed to get her to max affinity, so they likely have some effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Some screens from my second and current third runs.

A skill that traps enemies in place helplessly for over a minute and a skill that shoots C4? Sounds like those would go great together, have fun trying to get me guards!

What about Feste?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
For those of you who started NG+ at level 60-something, did you basically never level up again (or job level up) until you reached the post-game again, just from lack of xp?

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Samurai Sanders posted:

For those of you who started NG+ at level 60-something, did you basically never level up again (or job level up) until you reached the post-game again, just from lack of xp?

Aren't job points just distributed independently from levels?
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/626515-dragons-dogma/62984110

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

Seashell Salesman posted:

Are all the storyline fights even possible without ranged? I would think the Salomet fight and the one against the two Salvation wight-things are not possible without ranged since the former teleports instantly and the latter are flying and never land under any circumstances AFAIK.

I had to beat them with a lovely unupgraded bow and that starting bow skill.

I actually beat Salomet the first time as a warrior with one pawn since my main and other pawn disappeared with no warning whatsoever. It was pretty much solo since that pawn kept dying over and over but he's hittable if you kill enough skeletons. The wights have a move that brings them down to almost ground level were you can wail on them but other than that you have to wait it out and dodge poo poo.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

limaCAT posted:

Aren't job points just distributed independently from levels?
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/626515-dragons-dogma/62984110
Yeah, I had read about that before but I am still confused. It has percentages there that I guess are higher the lower the xp score of what you kill, but percentages of what?

edit: I tried fighting the ur-dragon offline a while ago, my main character was actually doing relatively ok but none of my pawns would stay alive for more than thirty seconds at a time, so I gave up.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jun 26, 2012

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, I had read about that before but I am still confused. It has percentages there that I guess are higher the lower the xp score of what you kill, but percentages of what?

edit: I tried fighting the ur-dragon offline a while ago, my main character was actually doing relatively ok but none of my pawns would stay alive for more than thirty seconds at a time, so I gave up.

It's... percentages of exp. Hence why the percentage changes based on exp amount. And job levels being separate from player levels means that they'll take just as long to max when you're level 10 as level 100. Sooner, actually, since you'll probably be earning exp quicker.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Samurai Sanders posted:

This is how I understood it:
Let's say you kill a goblin and he drops 100xp.
The 100xp go fully against your current xp chart, making you level and thus get better stats.

The system however sees that you have got 100xp from killing a goblin and awards you with 37jp. The job points are directed towards two things: tracked as a score for assigning you ranks for the current class, and then cast aside as a "coin" for buying class skills.

The main concern about killing small game and goblins is because if you level up faster (with XP) than get ranks in "useless classes" (with JP) you lose the opportunity to min-max, or better said: a min-maxer trick would be to try to level up only in the classes he would really like to have better stats, while still bringing home the secondary classes skills he needs.

Back to your question, you don't have to worry, you would still be able to rank up classes since the levels for classes are fixed.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Marogareh posted:

I actually beat Salomet the first time as a warrior with one pawn since my main and other pawn disappeared with no warning whatsoever. It was pretty much solo since that pawn kept dying over and over but he's hittable if you kill enough skeletons. The wights have a move that brings them down to almost ground level were you can wail on them but other than that you have to wait it out and dodge poo poo.

I killed all of Salomet's summons because I figured once they were gone he would change attack patterns and stop teleporting but he didn't. No matter how fast I rushed him he would just teleport once I reached him. Most of the time without even completing (or starting) his cast animation. In the end I just circled him and fired arrows. Same with the wights, their attack pattern is so lame they cannot hit you if you circle strafe while aiming the bow.

fullTimeLurker
Nov 10, 2010

I've got a question about the Ranger and Warrior skills. I know the Ranger one us called Dire Shot, not sure what the warrior one is called. The description says something like "does more damage the more time you spend charging" does that mean I could charge it for a hour (theoretically) or does the damage only charge up as long as the skill is charging; and once the skill is charged you won't do any more damage.
Anyone have any idea?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

^^^ There's a bar that fills and the skills really aren't worth using unless you let it charge all the way.

Are all the storyline fights even possible without ranged? I would think the Salomet fight and the one against the two Salvation wight-things are not possible without ranged since the former teleports instantly and the latter are flying and never land under any circumstances AFAIK.

I had to beat them with a lovely unupgraded bow and that starting bow skill.

I just fought Salomet as mystic knight this time and thought it was impossible because he takes 0% from magic (about as stupid a design decision as with golems/metal golems) but after a while he just randomly stopped teleporting and let me beat him to death.

Some of the resistances in this game really irritate me--I can understand giving an enemy heavy defenses against something to encourage a balanced build, like how chimera goats are strong against magic and the lions are strong against physical, but making some things literally 100% immune to a major source of damage is kind of bollocks when most classes only have one or the other. There's only one place in the whole game that lets you switch classes so you can't be that flexible.

Metal golems are really the worst offenders because pawns are too stupid to shoot the flying medal, which means you have to be playing as one of three specific vocations to even be able to kill the fuckers, at least without doing an extremely long and tedious game of jumping off the golem's head and getting a single hit on it in midair each time. If the flying medals didn't exist it would be much better since mystic knight, magick archer, fighter, and warrior would then be able to kill them.

Just makes me wonder how I'll deal with a lot of things once I try assassin with Autonomy. I was also considering going with just my main pawn next time, since I'm sticking with a party of 3 this run, but I'm not sure what classes I should use due to random exceptions like golems and phantoms.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

limaCAT posted:

This is how I understood it:
Let's say you kill a goblin and he drops 100xp.
The 100xp go fully against your current xp chart, making you level and thus get better stats.

The system however sees that you have got 100xp from killing a goblin and awards you with 37jp. The job points are directed towards two things: tracked as a score for assigning you ranks for the current class, and then cast aside as a "coin" for buying class skills.

The main concern about killing small game and goblins is because if you level up faster (with XP) than get ranks in "useless classes" (with JP) you lose the opportunity to min-max, or better said: a min-maxer trick would be to try to level up only in the classes he would really like to have better stats, while still bringing home the secondary classes skills he needs.

Back to your question, you don't have to worry, you would still be able to rank up classes since the levels for classes are fixed.
I guess what I'm really asking is, I'm level 61, I've explored the entire map other than maybe some parts of the everfall, I have most of the trophies other than two of the bad ending trophies (the ones for sacrificing someone for the dragon to go away, and walking away from god), the one for 350 weapons, and the one for beating the ur-dragon. I have more than 20 wakestones and I could go into the end game right now, but should I? I can't decide what I would enjoy more.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...

Metal golems are really the worst offenders because pawns are too stupid to shoot the flying medal, which means you have to be playing as one of three specific vocations to even be able to kill the fuckers, at least without doing an extremely long and tedious game of jumping off the golem's head and getting a single hit on it in midair each time. If the flying medals didn't exist it would be much better since mystic knight, magick archer, fighter, and warrior would then be able to kill them.
It's honestly the worst for sorcerers. With every other class, there is at least SOME way to destroy the flying medals, as tedious as they may be. Sorcerors only have one means of physical damage, though: Bolide. And Bolide can't hit the flying medal (and does a pitiful amount of physical damage, anyway).

It's so exceptionally dumb to have an enemy that cannot be killed if you play a certain class.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010
Both varieties of golem will immediately die regardless of medals or health if you land Exequy.

It doesn't excuse their design but yeah, it will instantly kill them.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Miijhal posted:

It's honestly the worst for sorcerers. With every other class, there is at least SOME way to destroy the flying medals, as tedious as they may be. Sorcerors only have one means of physical damage, though: Bolide. And Bolide can't hit the flying medal (and does a pitiful amount of physical damage, anyway).
Are you sure Gicel doesn't do some physical also? It does small but noticeable damage to normal golem weak points.

Maybe normal golems aren't 100% resistant to magic though.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Miijhal posted:

It's so exceptionally dumb to have an enemy that cannot be killed if you play a certain class.

Seism does 100% physical damage.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Sindai posted:

Are you sure Gicel doesn't do some physical also? It does small but noticeable damage to normal golem weak points.

Normal golems are only slightly resistant. I've killed them by just shooting them with the light staff attack as a sorcerer.

Fereydun posted:

Seism does 100% physical damage.
I thought that was the case, except casting it on the medals did absolutely no damage. Either it doesn't do physical damage, or the area it deals damage doesn't reach high enough to hit the medals on the ground.

The Mimic
Apr 27, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

For what it's worth, I wanna say I did a NG+ at level 55, and I'm slowly progressing the story again and I'm level 59. I'm less than 1/4th of the way through the game, I guess. This is probably related to the sheer number of cyclopes -- cyclopi? that one encounters during the game and also no small number of chimera lurking around the edges of the world I decided to explore.

gently caress the Ur-Dragon's tail. Just throwing that out there. Finally grab it, only to be pushed up on an invisible wall and thrown free.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
I don't have a problem with enemies being 100% resistant to either magic or physical. The only vocation that's encouraged to solo is assassin and they do 50/50 physical and magical I think. At least my (non-ranged) weapons all show about equal physical and magical.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I don't have a problem with enemies being 100% resistant to either magic or physical. The only vocation that's encouraged to solo is assassin and they do 50/50 physical and magical I think. At least my (non-ranged) weapons all show about equal physical and magical.

The only magic skills Assassin's have are Powder Blast and Advanced Trigger, although they can have elemental weapons.

Also, the pawns are waaay too stupid to actually fight enemies with any sort of heavy resistance. They won't attack the medals on golems, regardless of their knowledge level and personality, even though that's the only way to do damage to them. They require extreme coaxing to attack the medals of the iron golems, and if one of your teammates is not a ranger or a stalker, they can't actually hit the last one. They cast ice attunement in the middle of northern Gransys, even while surrounded by dire wolves and ice harpies. They will sit around and let phantoms ruin them, especially if they're melee characters. Mages and sorcerers will cast spells at them even when they're immune to damage, and go back to charging another spell they plan on wasting again.

The AI really cannot work with tasks more complicated than 'hit that big thing with your big metal stick', and even then, they're pretty inconsistent about it.

Miijhal fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jun 26, 2012

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Miijhal posted:

The only magic skills Assassin's have are Powder Blast and Advanced Trigger, although they can have elemental weapons.

I've only ever used elemental weapons. If there are more effective ones in the game then I haven't found them yet. Using assassin skills while wielding an elemental weapon does magical damage proportional to the magical damage of the weapon and the damage that the skill is meant to do AFAIK (probably with the exception of the explosive ones).

The AI I don't really know much about. I used one pawn for a while then once I got Autonomy I threw him off a cliff. Do all those golems in the Witchwood come to life at some point in the story? I just encountered one on my way to Bluemoon Tower and figured maybe this meant the ones in Witchwood would come to life but I can't be bothered to navigate inside that place on a hunch.

Seashell Salesman fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Jun 26, 2012

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Due to pawns typically being terrible at anything more complex than extremely basic tanking, support, or shooting (when they feel like it) it will bother you if you ever play more than that one class.

There are nine classes in the game. Chances are it will gently caress you over at some point unless you seriously never switch to anything else, ever. Fortunately you don't have to kill a metal golem as a part of any plot quest, but there's a problem with the fact that I killed one on my first try in five minutes as ranger and tried for thirty minutes as mystic knight before giving up. My MK attempt was on my second run with about 50 more hours of experience under my belt.

Basically, if you want to see all the non-class-based content in the game without going insane from trying to get your pawns to fill in the very basic roles you can't take care of yourself, you have to play as strider, ranger or assassin. Despite knowing about more missable quests and such on my second and third runs, I've actually done fewer quests than on my first playthrough because I mained assassin that time but now play other classes--and am thus incapable of doing things like killing metal golems. Or I have to deal with way too much frustration to just make my loving pawns do really basic things like shoot enemy archers. With Challenger primary inclination. With nothing but a longbow equipped and absolutely nothing else that could be diverting them.

In general, the amount of frustration you encounter in this game is directly proportional to how much you have to rely on pawns to do anything other than the few roles than can reliably fill. As it stands, the best way to experience the game is just to play strider, ranger or assassin. And it's a great game when you're doing that, but it's really unfortunate that there are 6 other classes which can be quite fun to play until the game forces you to rely on bizarre AI again. I love being able to light myself on fire and scuttle around on things as magick archer or make a homing machine gun as mystic knight--I shouldn't be randomly punished for wanting to do that, especially when those classes can only be used by the Arisen which implies that it's their very reason for existing.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Sindai posted:

Either way, Gicel does indeed damage metal golem medals. I finished off the one in the Everfall with five Gicels to the hovering medallion.

likecnsnnts
Jun 16, 2008

SPLINTER CELLULITE

The Mimic posted:

For what it's worth, I wanna say I did a NG+ at level 55, and I'm slowly progressing the story again and I'm level 59. I'm less than 1/4th of the way through the game, I guess.

I went into post-game around 60, and, having not re-visited Everfall yet, I'm 98.

I also did every single quest because I fundamentally misunderstood The Hero achievement, which does net me some XP.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

likecnsnnts posted:

I went into post-game around 60, and, having not re-visited Everfall yet, I'm 98.

I also did every single quest because I fundamentally misunderstood The Hero achievement, which does net me some XP.

Why would you wait so long before going into Everfall? Are you trying to destroy any possible semblance of difficulty curves? In fact, I don't know what type of person you have to be to spend 30 levels in the postgame, there isn't even anything new there really.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Due to pawns typically being terrible at anything more complex than extremely basic tanking, support, or shooting (when they feel like it) it will bother you if you ever play more than that one class.

There are nine classes in the game. Chances are it will gently caress you over at some point unless you seriously never switch to anything else, ever. Fortunately you don't have to kill a metal golem as a part of any plot quest, but there's a problem with the fact that I killed one on my first try in five minutes as ranger and tried for thirty minutes as mystic knight before giving up. My MK attempt was on my second run with about 50 more hours of experience under my belt.

Basically, if you want to see all the non-class-based content in the game without going insane from trying to get your pawns to fill in the very basic roles you can't take care of yourself, you have to play as strider, ranger or assassin. Despite knowing about more missable quests and such on my second and third runs, I've actually done fewer quests than on my first playthrough because I mained assassin that time but now play other classes--and am thus incapable of doing things like killing metal golems. Or I have to deal with way too much frustration to just make my loving pawns do really basic things like shoot enemy archers. With Challenger primary inclination. With nothing but a longbow equipped and absolutely nothing else that could be diverting them.

In general, the amount of frustration you encounter in this game is directly proportional to how much you have to rely on pawns to do anything other than the few roles than can reliably fill. As it stands, the best way to experience the game is just to play strider, ranger or assassin. And it's a great game when you're doing that, but it's really unfortunate that there are 6 other classes which can be quite fun to play until the game forces you to rely on bizarre AI again. I love being able to light myself on fire and scuttle around on things as magick archer or make a homing machine gun as mystic knight--I shouldn't be randomly punished for wanting to do that, especially when those classes can only be used by the Arisen which implies that it's their very reason for existing.

It does sound like pawn AI sucks.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is there a way to get items out of storage in postgame Gran Soren?

Huszsersvn
Nov 11, 2009

Nice world you've got here. Shame if anything were to happen to it.

The innkeeper relocates to the Pawn Guild. He'll get you sorted out, same as anything.

Ever since I found out I could make wine from ripened apples and grapes (just add water!), I vowed to hoard as many bottles of wine as I could make. I have become some kind of Dionysian winemaker crossed with Jesus, whose sole mission is to make or alchemize booze out of every single piece of fruit he comes across and every flask of water he pilfers.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I'm noted for snatching nuts out of my pawns inventories the moment I notice them. I need my Matured Greenwarish.

likecnsnnts
Jun 16, 2008

SPLINTER CELLULITE

Fonzarelli posted:

Why would you wait so long before going into Everfall?

(That part where I said I misunderstood The Hero means that I thought I had to do all the quests in one playthrough.) I rented pawns at super low levels and taught them stuff and it was all :3: and stuff. I made it a pretty true second playthrough save for copious, copious ferrystone use. As such, the amount of XP I grabbed was pretty ridiculous. (Plus I've also killed about 14 dragonpals and the Ur twice.)

And then The Hero unlocked before I finished all the story missions on my second go-around and it all clicked.

To be fair, though, I think your point about destroyed difficulty curve is pretty moot after like level 30/whenever you find your favorite class.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

It does sound like pawn AI sucks.
He's exaggerating, the only things pawns are really bad at is metal golems, which exist at 2 easily-avoidable locations in the entire game. They're fine for everything else.

Although one trick that's really important to know if you're not playing a magic class yourself is that if you hit "Help!" while at full health mage pawns will stop what they're doing and give you a weapon enchant.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
I started a new file on a separate profile to take a break before hitting post-game on my main file. My main file is a Mystic Knight with a Ranger pawn, so this time I swapped the appearance of both and will be running a Magick Archer with a Warrior pawn... and I made them both children. Feels kinda cool to control who used to be my pawn, and have my former Arisen speak up.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Don't copy the goddamn golden idol, the copy gives a worse reward than the bronze one does

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

The Lone Badger posted:

Is there a way to get items out of storage in postgame Gran Soren?
The inkeeper and all his functions are now in the pawn headquarters.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

RentACop posted:

Don't copy the goddamn golden idol, the copy gives a worse reward than the bronze one does
You copy it to keep in your inventory for the discount. I forgot to try it myself in my game so I can't confirm, but other people have said it gives the same discount.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Sindai posted:

You copy it to keep in your inventory for the discount. I forgot to try it myself in my game so I can't confirm, but other people have said it gives the same discount.

Yes it does,

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Do all the discount items stack?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Manatee Cannon posted:

Do all the discount items stack?

Nope, just gives you the best one.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Anyone happen to know the exact percentages on the discounts? There are a couple of discount items you can get at various points--if you gently caress up on the gold idol (easy enough to do) I'm curious what the best alternative is--silver idol or the badge of whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Lotish posted:

Anyone happen to know the exact percentages on the discounts? There are a couple of discount items you can get at various points--if you gently caress up on the gold idol (easy enough to do) I'm curious what the best alternative is--silver idol or the badge of whatever
Gold - 30%
Silver - 20%
Bronze - 10%
Badge of Merit - 8%

The Suasion skill from sorcerers does stack though (with itself) if you want to power game your money.

The opening song for this game is still the best thing ever https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCjIbfJ4rNc

It's also fun watching the trailer after you finished the game just to see what parts of the game they pulled together for the trailer.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jun 26, 2012

• Locked thread