Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax

Housh posted:

Spec Ops: The Line is getting good reviews. I followed this game since it was announced but then lost faith with the demo. I'm thinking of picking it up today to support shooters with actual stories.
Sounds totally radical, but I think I'll wait until they're up to Special Assault Task Force: The Square.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon
The Walking Dead Episode 2 is coming Friday. :)

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
Son of a bitch, I thought today was the release date for Jet Set Radio.. :negative:

Oh well, at least there's Resident Evil Chronicles. Without a Move.

:smith:

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

the_american_dream posted:

Thanks I was thinking about checking out the OST because basically all the music is really good so far but figured it may spoil something I dont want to know. So thanks :)

The real spoiler here is hearing it before you hear it in-game.

And also, tip: when you get new types of weapons after you reach the middle point, don't be afraid to switch them around a little. Spears are fun and can make you travel 2.5 times faster.

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010

Pandanaut posted:

The Walking Dead Episode 2 is coming Friday. :)

Source? It was supposed to have dropped today for Steam/Xbox and didn't, so a Friday date was probably just the PSN equivalent of that missed date.

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon

Role Play McMurphy posted:

Source? It was supposed to have dropped today for Steam/Xbox and didn't, so a Friday date was probably just the PSN equivalent of that missed date.

It's on the PS Blog. I'm on my phone but it's right near the top.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Check out who made it into The Amazing Spider-Man

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

I said come in! posted:

Looking at the screenshots on Steam, this looks like a bloom/HDR effects tech demo, only abused to extreme levels so the entire game looks really ugly.

Well if ever there was a way to judge a game, it's based on screenshots! :v:

I'm giving you a hard time, sorry, but the game itself is surprisingly decent. They pretty much nailed the whole Apocalypse Now/Heart of Darkness vibe, and there are moments that are genuinely hosed up -- to the point where once I hit about the middle of the game and something happened, I would have shut off the game if I wasn't reviewing it. Leave it to Germans to sort of nail the whole "war is hell" thing, and while it's undeniably heavy-handed and the mechanics are a little sloppy, the intent certainly comes through. I had to wait until today to figure out how the multiplayer is going (seriously, I understand the rush to get reviews up, but why are there reviews up if the multiplayer was a ghost town for the past week?), but overall the game is a solid rental.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

ImpAtom posted:

Check out who made it into The Amazing Spider-Man

First New Vegas and now New York City? Where is he going to end up next? :allears:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Please, Parker. He had a family.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Ahahahahaha! Oh Square :allears:

quote:

Square Enix has revealed why they are yet to remake Final Fantasy VII despite the rabid desire of many fans.

According to Andrisang, CEO Yoichi Wada explained during the company's annual shareholder meeting that it would not remake the legendary RPG until it makes a brand new Final Fantasy game that "exceeds the quality" of Final Fantasy VII.

In a candid statement, Wada clarified that he feels the current slew of titles in the franchise have not surpassed their popular predecessor in terms of quality. He stressed that while they hopefully would manage this in future, if the team were to remake Final Fantasy VII before this was achieved, then the Final Fantasy franchise "would be done with".

This revelation comes hot on the heels of statements by Tetsuya Nomura, who recently admitted that a remake wasn't a priority. He also suggested that the current batch of titles would need to be improved before the company cast its gaze backwards, saying "The new Final Fantasy must overcome the Final Fantasy of the past.”
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/06/26/square-enix-reveals-conditions-for-final-fantasy-vii-remake

There are just so many things wrong with this, including the indication that Final Fantasy IV didn't need to be held to this standard.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
I see Square Enix is following Nintendo's and Capcom's strategy of telling its fanbase to gently caress off.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

axleblaze posted:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/06/26/square-enix-reveals-conditions-for-final-fantasy-vii-remake

There are just so many things wrong with this, including the indication that Final Fantasy IV didn't need to be held to this standard.

So does this mean that FFVII PC leak is still considered fake?

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I said come in! posted:

So does this mean that FFVII PC leak is still considered fake?
It's not a remake so they probably aren't counting it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Armor-Piercing posted:

It's not a remake so they probably aren't counting it.

I really hope that ends up being true. The leaked documents sound very promising.

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
That makes perfect sense to me as far as a good PR answer that lets them answer the question without saying "we're not going to remake it because then you'll realize how loving stupid it is," which we all know is the real answer.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I don't think Square-Enix really can weasel out of it on a "this poo poo's retarded" clause. They made The 3rd Birthday. The time for feigning ignorance on stupid plot is long past for them.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

If appeasing your fanbase is "remaking old games again and again" then gently caress the fans. If you want to replay old Final Fantasy games there are numerous ways to go about it now. Make new games.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

tooooooo bad posted:

If appeasing your fanbase is "remaking old games again and again" then gently caress the fans. If you want to replay old Final Fantasy games there are numerous ways to go about it now. Make new games.

You say this like Square is a stranger to remaking their old games. How many versions of just FF1 exist?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Why the heck is there a Dust 514 "Mercenary Pack" -$19.99 available on PSN today?

The goddamn beta isn't even out till Friday.

[edit] Holy poo poo, 20 bucks grants you access to the beta like THREE DAYS EARLY.

I don't know whether to laugh, cry, or grab my credit card. gently caress.

[edit] again, Apparently it gives you Access starting Thursday. It's money that gets you like 50 bucks worth of in-game stuff. It may or may not be refunded to you (or given credit in non-beta game.)

But I'm confused I thought Dust 514's beta started Friday the 29th.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 26, 2012

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

SamBishop posted:

Well if ever there was a way to judge a game, it's based on screenshots! :v:

I'm giving you a hard time, sorry, but the game itself is surprisingly decent. They pretty much nailed the whole Apocalypse Now/Heart of Darkness vibe, and there are moments that are genuinely hosed up -- to the point where once I hit about the middle of the game and something happened, I would have shut off the game if I wasn't reviewing it. Leave it to Germans to sort of nail the whole "war is hell" thing, and while it's undeniably heavy-handed and the mechanics are a little sloppy, the intent certainly comes through. I had to wait until today to figure out how the multiplayer is going (seriously, I understand the rush to get reviews up, but why are there reviews up if the multiplayer was a ghost town for the past week?), but overall the game is a solid rental.

Exactly and exactly why I want to pay full price to encourage games that take chances and bring something refreshing to the genre. Anyways, there is a Giantbomb Quicklook going up at 6 PM today which I'll be tuning in to.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

Man, Tomba is such a great game, I'm so glad it's on the PSN, just give them my mone-

SpacePig posted:

The child is to the left of that L-shaped flower, IIRC. And I think that thing is the top of an elevator later in the game or something, I honestly have no idea.

I forgot how difficult and obtuse Tomba was, btu I'm still having a lot fo fun with it. I hope the release Tomba 2 on here as well.

Wait wait hold on, there's another one? There is another loving Tomba?! Oh my God!

ZanderZ
Apr 7, 2011

by T. Mascis

Mega Comrade posted:

Does anyone need a Fifa Street Pass? I have 3.

Do I even need to finish reading through the thread till the end to assume that nobody has requested this? I'll take it out of the hope that I'll get one of my friends to maybe, consider buying a pre-owned version of this game. That's the best we're both gonna get as far as offer/acceptance is concerned.

Seriously, I'm the only one on the entire internet who cares about this game. If you think you can get someone to join the FIFA Street online comunity, PLEASE! Please, don't give me any of the passes. Somehow, I doubt that will ever happen, so I'll take them and if I'm lucky, I'll wind up using one.

My email address is zander2905@gmail.com

If you've given up and stopped checking to see if someone's requesting those online passes, I totally wouldn't blame you. If you actually send them to me, halle-loving-lujah and thank you.

ZanderZ fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jun 26, 2012

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
According to a blogging site re: Dust 514 Mercenary Pack:

Today, CCP the developers behind Dust 514 announced that a new Mercenary Pack would be available for purchase from the Playstation Store for Dust 514. The pack will grant players access to every beta event, off-weekends, and loads of gear and in-game currency.

The contents (worth over $50) for the Mercenary Pack are:

4,000 Aurum ($20 value) – the in-game currency for DUST 514 that you can buy in the PS Store
30-Day Active Skill Booster – increases earned Skill Points (SP) by 50%
‘Dragonfly’ Scout Dropsuit – a uniquely designed armor with unlimited use
‘Toxin’ ICD-9 Submachine Gun with unlimited use and a custom skin
HK4M Shotgun x 50
Hacked Drop Uplink x 50 – allows players to create on-the-spot spawn points for their teammates
Fused Locus Grenade x 50
1.5dn Myofibril Stimulant x 50 – offers players a temporary melee damage boost against opponents
All Access Beta Pass – allows players to participate in every Beta Event, as well as additional play sessions during off weekends

The pack will be available to purchase today for North America at $19.99 and Europe on the 27th for €17.99 /£13.99. Dust 514 is currently running in closed beta.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Green Puddin posted:

Man, Tomba is such a great game, I'm so glad it's on the PSN, just give them my mone-

Wait wait hold on, there's another one? There is another loving Tomba?! Oh my God!

Yes sir! Tomba 2 is seriously one of my favorite PS1 games, and it really bakes my bean that they've got it on the PSN in Japan but not in NA.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

axleblaze posted:

I just want them to make a game as good as FF12, that wasn't very long ago.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

I just want them to make a game as good as FF12, that wasn't very long ago.

Yeah, but the guy behind 12 got screwed over so hard by management during development that he left the company afterwards, so they're a little short on big talent now.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

tooooooo bad posted:

You say this as if people around here aren't burning up to buy their old games except in HD this time!

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Playstation Plus members, next week these games will no longer be free:

North American region:
Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown
Zombie Apocalypse: Never Die Alone
Hard Corps: Uprising
mini Kaleidoscope

European region:
Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown
Ricochet HD
Hamsterball
Wakeboarding HD
Magic Orbz
Smash Cars
Sky Fighter
Mushroom Wars
Mahjong Tales: Ancient Wisdom

Remember: the games obtained for free will still work as long as you're subscribed to Playstation Plus, and you can download the games from the store again after they have been taken out of the free section, as long as they are still in your download list and/or have the red bag icon on the store listing.

Neither region have revealed what new free games will come in July. Most likely, that information will come next week.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

blackguy32 posted:

You say this as if people around here aren't burning up to buy their old games except in HD this time!

Yeah, I hate to be one of "those people," but if they released an HD version of FF12 I would finally go ahead and just get rid of my PS2. I supposed I'd settle for a PS2 classics version, but an HD US release of the "International" version would be completely tits.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Yeah uh I'd love an official HD version of International. I loved 12 and having the complete edition (with glorious fast forward button) would be worth dropping $40.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

I played some of the Dust 514 beta and taking into account all the problems associated with betas and such, I still think it's a terrible game. Kudos to them for going free to play and having really deep customization, but the core gameplay just isn't even remotely enjoyable at all in my opinion. I think as far as MMOFPS games on the PS3 go, MAG completely and utterly blows it out of the water.

Having said that however, the more I see of Planetside 2 the more incredible it looks. I really would love to see that game come to PS3 and if not, Sony should push the PS4 out as soon as possible with that game as a launch title.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

MUFFlNS posted:

I played some of the Dust 514 beta and taking into account all the problems associated with betas and such, I still think it's a terrible game. Kudos to them for going free to play and having really deep customization, but the core gameplay just isn't even remotely enjoyable at all in my opinion. I think as far as MMOFPS games on the PS3 go, MAG completely and utterly blows it out of the water.

Having said that however, the more I see of Planetside 2 the more incredible it looks. I really would love to see that game come to PS3 and if not, Sony should push the PS4 out as soon as possible with that game as a launch title.

Is there a NDA that prevents you from going into more detail? I'd be interested to read which ways the gameplay is terrible.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

NDA is lifted this Thursday.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Has anyone here purchased the download version of Uncharted 2 GOTY? I'm curious if the game loads up faster than the disc version. The long load times were the worst thing about the game.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Final Fantasy 7 wouldn't even be like alot of the HD collections. Most of those are the exact game with the resolutions upped and, in the best case scenario, the textures redone. FF7 would have to be a remake, at least visually, from the ground up.

The thing with FF7 was it was all about the spectacle at the time. It told a giant story with graphics that were beyond alot of what was out there. Now the game looks like poo poo and the gameplay in JRPGs has really moves on and, really, even despite that gameplay-wise is was one of the least interesting FF games. It could use an injection of spectacle again because people that didn't play it back then aren't gonna be the least bit impressed by it now.

Though for Square remaking FF7 is a no win situation. If they leave the gameplay as is, it'll emphasize how underwhelming it was and people will assume they hosed something up. If they change it the purest will be pissed and never shut up about how Square hosed things up. It'll make a poo poo load of money in the short run but it's almost destined to not be liked by most of it's target audience.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Yechezkel posted:

Has anyone here purchased the download version of Uncharted 2 GOTY? I'm curious if the game loads up faster than the disc version. The long load times were the worst thing about the game.

While I don't think there'll be many takers since even the PS+ discount is more expensive than walking into GameStop or wherever to get the physical disk, they added 1 and 2 to the full game trial list so you could download it and try it out that way.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

axleblaze posted:

Though for Square remaking FF7 is a no win situation. If they leave the gameplay as is, it'll emphasize how underwhelming it was and people will assume they hosed something up. If they change it the purest will be pissed and never shut up about how Square hosed things up. It'll make a poo poo load of money in the short run but it's almost destined to not be liked by most of it's target audience.

I am fairly convinced that 90% of the people who like FFVII like a game they remember that doesn't exist. If they did a photorealistic version of all the insane cartoony poo poo that was in FFVII, it would be completely ridiculous, and I think people forget that stuff exists.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Also I think they're less hesitant for crowd pleasing reasons and more for feasibility reasons. They mentioned earlier last year that it would just be too expensive to "remake" because they'd have to literally build the entire game from scratch. It wouldn't be like the infinite ports of IV and such where they can do some sprite ripping or whatever it would be on par with making like two FFXIII 2s or something (remember this was when FF still had an overworld you could walk around and many more towns and places to check out and explore).

While they're SquareEnixEidoswhatever now, the extent to which Spirits Within bombed and the amount of money they blew on it hurts them even to this day. Around the time of its release and the years leading up to it were probably the only time a remake of something of FFVII's scale would have been possible. I remember after Spirits Within came out and died, the quarterly report right after, the company's new direction was very literally "remake prior games infinitely, release lots of FFVII merchandise and spinoffs infinitely." So far they've stayed the course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe

Neo Rasa posted:

While I don't think there'll be many takers since even the PS+ discount is more expensive than walking into GameStop or wherever to get the physical disk, they added 1 and 2 to the full game trial list so you could download it and try it out that way.

Oh right! :doh: Alright, I'll do that and report back.

• Locked thread