Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Ahah, the incorporation of the in-game legends is great.

edit: Also, Pure Kamikaze's song sounds like Majora's Mask in the best way.

Star Guarded fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jun 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

That History lesson, such dwarfness. I can't even keep History uncapitalized, now. Well done.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I can't wait for the inevitable weather-related incident. :allears:

I am amazed at the history system in this game.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jun 26, 2012

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I just realised we're still only into Hematite (April). The quality of the updates made me think a lot more time had passed for some reason. I'm always terrible at using time properly, the first migrant wave just sits and does fuckall while I muck about with arming two soldiers in some kind or armour and steel weapons. What I should be doing is put a pick or an axe in every new arrivals hand and get those fuckers to work.

Future planning is not my strongest trait.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

Demiurge4 posted:

I just realised we're still only into Hematite (April).

Hematite is the first month of Summer so technically it's more like June :eng101:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Boing posted:

Hematite is the first month of Summer so technically it's more like June :eng101:

There's 12 months in a DF year, and Hematite is the fourth. Therefore April :eng99:

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
^^^ keep in mind that the DF year starts on the first day of spring, not midwinter like the real calendar.

Demiurge4 posted:

I just realised we're still only into Hematite (April). The quality of the updates made me think a lot more time had passed for some reason. I'm always terrible at using time properly, the first migrant wave just sits and does fuckall while I muck about with arming two soldiers in some kind or armour and steel weapons. What I should be doing is put a pick or an axe in every new arrivals hand and get those fuckers to work.

Future planning is not my strongest trait.

Have one of your starting dwarves be a squad leader - give him 2-3 points of skill in fighting, a weapon, and shield use, and the rest in Teaching. That gives you a solid base for a military since he'll be able to train other recruits up to basic competency with those weapons fairly well.

Do not recruit tons of miners as a single legendary miner will go faster than half a dozen dabbling ones. Extra dwarves should be recruits, carpentry/masonry construction drones (assign workshops to your high-skill dwarves), haulers, and similar.

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.
Absolutly loving the way you weave the quickiness of DF into the story. the integration of the history, down to the wording was great thinking. You're setting the bar high for future overseers! :golfclap:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Leperflesh posted:

There are over 100,000 dwarves living in Omon Atho, which is the name of our world (it means "The Realm of Soul).

We've already had two great musical contributions, but if this isn't begging for a different sort of song I don't know what is. I've been sitting here for 10 minutes trying to figure out what Dwarf Soul would sound like.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Well obviously it would be metal.

Ayana
Jun 29, 2010

Hee-Ho!

Tithleth Dreamyriddles the Subtleties of Mist, Dwarven goddess of dreams, the night, and darkness.

Bad Munki posted:

Well obviously it would be metal.

No, no, it'd be rock.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
That was an amazing history lesson leperflesh.

So some captured goblins just bred and bred and slowly took over the fortress from within. Wow i had no idea that could even happen in worldgen. Congratulations on finding such an incredible event in legends mode.

Also, i wonder if that one goblin who took over might be a vampire, but i guess that will remain a mystery for now.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Ayana posted:

Tithleth Dreamyriddles the Subtleties of Mist, Dwarven goddess of dreams, the night, and darkness.

Not dwarfy enough. Where is her beard?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Captain_duck posted:

Wow i had no idea that could even happen in worldgen. Congratulations on finding such an incredible event in legends mode.

The craziest poo poo happens in World Gen if you really start digging through it. Probably the most famous example is Cacame Awemedinade the Immortal Onslaught, High Elf King of the Dwarves and legendary Hammerdwarf.

I've seen the reverse of the current situation before: a dark fortress entirely staffed by the descendants of human captors with only a dozen or so goblins remaining.

Atomikus
Jun 4, 2010

Muncie? Muncie! MUNCIE!

Boing posted:

On her knuckles.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!

Triskelli posted:

The craziest poo poo happens in World Gen if you really start digging through it. Probably the most famous example is Cacame Awemedinade the Immortal Onslaught, High Elf King of the Dwarves and legendary Hammerdwarf.

I've seen the reverse of the current situation before: a dark fortress entirely staffed by the descendants of human captors with only a dozen or so goblins remaining.

Oh i know legends mode is amazing. I Haven't read that cacame story though. Guess i got even more reading to do.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Demiurge4 posted:

I just realised we're still only into Hematite (April). The quality of the updates made me think a lot more time had passed for some reason.

Yeah, between a prologue and the interlude, and the effort and detail of getting a fort started, I've not gone very fast in terms of in-game time. Going forward I need to get things moving better, for no other reason than I have a hard deadline of Thursday (I'm flying out of the country Friday and really don't want to have to try to do updates from my work laptop while traveling, although I can do so in theory).

Ayana posted:

Very nice! She is mysterious and subversive. Tithleth Nazomnokgol Ozor Sod is all about loving with your head when you're trying to get some rest.

Boing posted:

In creature_standard.txt:
pre:
	Now we'll declare the specific castes.

[CASTE:FEMALE]
		The gender tag lets it know how breeding works.
		[FEMALE]
		[MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE]
		To add beards, put square brackets around the following:
		BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:FACIAL_HAIR_TISSUE_LAYERS
	[CASTE:MALE]
		[MALE]
		[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:FACIAL_HAIR_TISSUE_LAYERS]
I have not placed the brackets therefore girldwarfs do not have beards. :colbert:

Captain_duck posted:

That was an amazing history lesson leperflesh.

So some captured goblins just bred and bred and slowly took over the fortress from within. Wow i had no idea that could even happen in worldgen. Congratulations on finding such an incredible event in legends mode.

Well, to be completely honest the game is silent about exactly how or why the goblins show up. Actually legends mode only tracks "notable" historical figures, so only a tiny fraction of the denizens of any particular area are recorded there. You have to kind of surmise what was going on and fill in the blanks.

That said, every single legend/history I quoted is genuine, and I did not add anything that is contradicted by the history. But Legends does not say specifically that the goblins got there in the first place by being captives. That's just the only possibility that makes any drat sense.

Diploid
Oct 21, 2010
Isn't that the only way they can get into a different civilization?

Segway Rave
Dec 25, 2011

this is stanley barton he is the brother of the king and feels sad alot because other people don't like him much they say hes boring and not fun

Leperflesh posted:

I have not placed the brackets therefore girldwarfs do not have beards. :colbert:
Osram has a beard. :colbert:

Nthing the love for the latest post, by the way. I know it's silly to have favourite moments of Dwarf Fortress LPs but it's definitely up there with the way Jazzimus (I think) ended Gemclod.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Diploid posted:

Isn't that the only way they can get into a different civilization?

I think it is possible for a dwarf civilization to be at peace with a civilization of goblins (the same way dwarfs can sometimes be at war with humans or elves). If you have peace with a goblin civ they can send trade caravans. Maybe that allows immigration too?

gbuchold
Oct 7, 2007

We feel free because we lack the very language to articulate our unfreedom.
Pillbug
They don't immigrate to my knowledge. AFAIK there are two ways for these things to happen:

1: Captives are stolen as a result of war or kidnapping and eventually become freemen (End result: Dark Goblin Fortress with humans and dwarves in it; Dwarven Fortress with goblins and elves in it)

2: One civilization outright conquers another civilization's city in war (End result: Dark Human Fortress; Dwarven City)

I know I've seen more than a few Dark Human Fortresses conquered by humans in Legends.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
Whereabouts is Bronzestabbed on the world map? Is it marked on here?

Grumio fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jun 27, 2012

JoeCool
Aug 15, 2009
395 people waiting to be dwarfed :psydwarf:.

JoeCool fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jun 27, 2012

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

And somehow I managed to be #3. I guess that means I get to die sooner!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

JoeCool posted:

395 people waiting to be dwarfed :psydwarf:.
Do those of us who pick up the game after you get to push ourselves further up the dwarf list, Leper?

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Colon V posted:

Do those of us who pick up the game after you get to push ourselves further up the dwarf list, Leper?

Look at this.

Look at this sentence.

You really think you have what it takes to be an overseer, asking permission like that? A real overseer just does whatever they want, whenever they want, and more importantly to whoever they want.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

YeOldeButchere posted:

Look at this.

Look at this sentence.

You really think you have what it takes to be an overseer, asking permission like that? A real overseer just does whatever they want, whenever they want, and more importantly to whoever they want.
Colon would lose interest and abandon his turn a month in anyway. :v:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Colon would lose interest and abandon his turn a month in anyway. :v:
Well, I'll just have to make sure to finish my year within a month, won't I? :smugbert:

Pozzo
Nov 4, 2009

What is like posting in a thread?
A Ballista, that's what!

Haha, I haven't really played DF for months, and just hearing your dulcet tones again, Captain, has brought enough of a flash of nostalgia from when I learnt it that I'm going to go and fire up Fortress Mode for the first time in 2012

TremendousMajestic
Mar 8, 2007

bye bye everybody bye bye!
Where's Sirocco this time around? Has he posted? His mspaints are always a good time.

Callipygian Weasel
Apr 2, 2010

by Lowtax
This is looking amazing so far. It almost makes me feel masochistic enough familiarize myself with the latest version of DF. Maybe, just maybe, I'll even see about taking my turn as overseer at some point - especially if things start going bad enough that I couldn't possibly make them any worse.

TremendousMajestic
Mar 8, 2007

bye bye everybody bye bye!

Urist Painteddaggers was the oldest sheriff in Ripewhips, but not the most senior. The latter was by his own choosing, but the former he was sensitive about. Once, at breakfast beer, a rookie beardling with not two months on the force made the mistake of joking to his face that "Old Paint" probably had to lift his ancient beard to piss before wiping his rear end with it. Urist smashed the beardling's mug in his face, breaking his nose.

Urist got three days suspension for wasting beer. The beardling got assigned to the Cavern Ward. Urist wasn't happy about it, but the nickname "Old Paint" stuck.

Old Paint was offered his fourth chance to be reassigned, and he turned it down for the fourth time. The Brewery Ward could have been all his - a small militia under him, a quiet patrol amid the youngest dwarves running back and forth between the stills and the plump helmet farms - but he didn't want that. He wanted to work where he lived, and that was the oldest Ward in the fortress, the Dorm Ward.

In one way, the Dorm Ward hadn't changed much since Old Paint was a beardling. It was still defined by a collection of several large rooms and two dozen or so tiny apartments shared by dwarf families. Old Paint and his wife were lucky enough to have a larger space than most: a good friend of theirs, legendary among the miners at Ripewhips, had, years ago, spent a solid day expanding their quarters to more than twice their original size. Old Paint was well-liked in the fortress and no one minded that the miner had "misread" that day's orders.

Back in Old Paint's day, the Dorm Ward was a peaceful, orderly place. Despite there being a dozen beds to a dorm for six or more families, Old Paint remembered a sense of pride in the quarters - his family had chosen the Ngalak Room, intricate frescoes of eagles in flight lined the walls - otherwise tidy except for the occasional heap of clothes. He remembered the trouble he'd get in if he and his brothers played at their anvils too loudly while others tried to sleep. He sparred with a woman for the first time in those dorms. She'd given him his first concussion.

All of that was before the goblins. Being old and crude, the Dorm Ward was the first space offered up for the freemen greenskins, and most of the dwarves living there were happy to move further below to more spacious apartments carved in the latest, most proficient styles.

The goblins made themselves at home. Where a dozen beds for six families seemed cramped to a dwarf, it was a luxury to the greens.

This morning, on his way to work, Old Paint walked by the old Ngalak Room every day. The door open, he peered in as he passed. At least twenty goblin babies wailed unattended on the floor. A goblin couple off in the far corner were loving, oblivious to the nine goblins sleeping in the bed next to them. A piss miasma filled the air, and they had painted the talons and beaks of Ngalak red and black with Gods knew what. Old Paint cursed and walked on.

Arriving at the Sheriff's hall, Old Paint entered to find his senior, Melbil Regzat, sitting at his desk, feet up, sipping his pre-Breakfast Beer. Melbil looked up as Paint entered, grinning, obviously already a bit in his cups. "Paint!" he barked, eyes twinkling. Old Paint knew this wasn't good. "What is it?" Old Paint asked, hesitating.

Before Melbil could answer, Old Paint followed his eyes to the doorway to the weapons rack room. There stood a slight, green skinned figure, barely managing to hold a Sherrif's hammer nearly half his size.

Melbil stood up into an air of formality. "Urist Painteddaggers, meet the newest Dorm Ward sheriff. Er...I think he said his name was Kutsmob."

Kutsmob nodded and made a grunting noise. Old Paint felt like wasting another beer.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
These took more effort than they should have and probably don't even look like they did...

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ripewhips is overrun with goblins. Pagetin? Turkeys.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

SynthOrange posted:

Ripewhips is overrun with goblins. Pagetin? Turkeys.

One war at a time.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Poor Old Paint. That greenskin is going to take his jerb! :orks:

...is the Noble Work's True Ultimate Wonderfully Horrible Secret Goal to "fix" Ripewhips by linking it to an evil biome?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

TremendousMajestic posted:

Where's Sirocco this time around? Has he posted? His mspaints are always a good time.

I PM'd him. He's busy with work but sends his regards to the thread.

I'm secretly hoping that he eventually gets drawn into things in spite of himself, like last time.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
So I had a moment with the 3rd post, and have organized it into catagories. (no pretty banner for them of course.) I feel that its easier to view like this, but I'll understand if you want to keep them as they are submitted.

Leperflesh posted:

Here is a list of all of the updates.
First overseer: Leperfish
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3 and Interlude

Journal Entries by non-Overseers:
day 36, by scamtank
entry by Nettle Soup
entry by Internet Kraken
day 87 by scamtank
Commander's log, Dwarfdate 236.03.27 by Bad Munki
Edifications of Public Well-Being by Markus_cz

Dwarves of Bronzestabbed

Leperfish, by PublicOpinion:

Bad Munki, by Bad Munki:

Markus_cz, by Markus_cz

Leperfish and Bad Munki, by LotionMan

Maps

A relief map of Bronzestabbed's surroundings, by Bad Munki:

3d maps of Bronzestabbed's surroundings, by Grey Hunter:

A view towards the mountainhomes, by LotionMan

The Pantheon

Ugath, by PublicOpinions

Osram, God of Wealth, by Segway Rave

Ngalak, the Boulder of Mountains, by LotionMan

Dakas Goldgranite the Gravel of Avalanches, god of jewels, and looking smug as heck about it, by LotionMan

Tithleth Dreamyriddles the Subtleties of Mist, Dwarven goddess of dreams, the night, and darkness, by Ayana:

Enemies of Bronzestabbed

Fiendish Murk, by Juc66

Music of Bronzestabbed

Bronzestabbed: An amazing musical composition by Loden Taylor

Ugath Call, a musical composition by Pure Kamikaze featuring drums:

As for my own contribution, I plan on expanding the map once the save is availible, and will try and keep it updated with the external changes to the area.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Grumio posted:

Whereabouts is Bronzestabbed on the world map? Is it marked on here?

At the green star.

Colon V posted:

Overseer's Prerogative applies in this LP as well. Which is to say, yes, if you're overseer, you get to skip in front in order to get your dwarf actually into the fortress for narrative purposes (although you are not required to do so).

In some cases if an Overseer happens to get a migration just before they're planning to finish up and hand off to the next person, I'll ask them to keep one dwarf un-nicknamed for this purpose.

I'm on my way to bed so I'll update the OP with TremendousMajestic's journal entry and TildeATH's improved graphics tomorrow morning. Also thanks Gray, I was thinking about categorizing but hadn't committed to the idea yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

TremendousMajestic posted:

Old Paint felt like wasting another beer.

This was great. I have a good feeling about this LP.

• Locked thread