Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Jedit posted:

You should watch the animated series of Soul Music if you think you've found them all. They get to play with some of the visual jokes that didn't quite translate to the page.

Soul Music - Animated (animation and character design is rather...um..."quirky").

Oh, Christopher Lee, I'll obey your every word with that voice. :allears:

He's got just the right voice for a creature that has to be both terrifying and comforting, ageless, yet with a kind of innocence.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jun 21, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I was just at a "flash mob" for The Long Earth in Trafalgar Square.

I was on my lunch break so didn't have much time, but it was just a small group of goony looking types (at least two fedoras) standing around waiting for something to happen.

I got a badge out of it I guess.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
The animated Soul Music is insane and you have to see it just once. Just for the weird design choices they picked for half the cast.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The music is legitimately great though.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

The music is legitimately great though.

The music does indeed have hole.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Nobby looks far too human.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I just noticed I've run out of Discworld books, so I'm ordering more. I'm getting awfully close to the latest book though. Then what will I do? :ohdear:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

John Dough posted:

I just noticed I've run out of Discworld books, so I'm ordering more. I'm getting awfully close to the latest book though. Then what will I do? :ohdear:

Read them all again, of course.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

Read them all again, of course.

I've been doing this for the past 14 years or so.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Put on a stage play.

"I can't do that, Cor-pral Nobbs! Cap-tan Vimes will-go-spare!"

*cue audience laughter*

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

I'm quite sad to see that a lot of people apparently disliked Making Money, I Shall Wear Midnight and Snuff. :( I thoroughly enjoyed all of them (finished Snuff just a couple minutes ago); Snuff certainly had some of the problems mentioned (long monologues, quite a bit of swearing and sometimes strange characterizations) but I definitely found the story intriguing and rather coherent. It certainly puzzles me that some people find MM and ISWM awful enough to suggest other readers to outright skip them - I can't think of any Pratchett book apart from Eric that might be worth skipping.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Hempuli posted:

I'm quite sad to see that a lot of people apparently disliked Making Money, I Shall Wear Midnight and Snuff. :( I thoroughly enjoyed all of them (finished Snuff just a couple minutes ago); Snuff certainly had some of the problems mentioned (long monologues, quite a bit of swearing and sometimes strange characterizations) but I definitely found the story intriguing and rather coherent. It certainly puzzles me that some people find MM and ISWM awful enough to suggest other readers to outright skip them - I can't think of any Pratchett book apart from Eric that might be worth skipping.

Sourcery is pretty poor.

Got The Long Earth today (birthday), but unfortunately it will have to wait until I've finished Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson. I recommend Warbreaker, by the way; it reads a lot like The Malazan Book of the Fallen would if Pratchett had written it, and there's a magic sword that's even funnier than Kring.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Hempuli posted:

I thought MM was pretty decent. That said, I was bored by ISWM. Most of the books about Tiffany I don't really like outside of a few good scenes. That's not to say they're bad books, I just couldn't get into the character.

The Last Continent, The Colour of Magic, The Light Fantastic, Equal Rites are ones that I recommend people to skip. And then I tell them to start at Guards! Guards! and work their way through the watch books.

Snuff is still sitting on my bookshelf, pleading for me to read it.

[e]: I get the jokes and references, it's just I found it to be rather dull as is.
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jun 27, 2012

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Snuff just isn't that great. :( I really, really, wanted it to be, too.

The Last Continent only works if you get Australian jokes. Then it's great, otherwise it completely falls flat.

Otherwise, yeah, all the early books up to the Mort/Pyramids/Wyrd Sisters era are skippable.

Loki Kunti
Mar 31, 2010

Mister Roboto posted:

[...]

Otherwise, yeah, all the early books up to the Mort/Pyramids/Wyrd Sisters era are skippable.

Wrong. Totally.

In my opinion, of course.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Loki Kunti posted:

Wrong. Totally.

Mort is only the fourth book anyway, so you'd be skipping a whole three books.

That said, I wouldn't skip any of them, especially if you're reading in order. Sourcery is really great, the opening scene is one of the best he's ever written, and the climax is also pretty great.

I don't understand how anyone could dislike Making Money, either, the Moist books are easily my favorites of the recent era, with Thud! and Snuff being the most "meh".

The Last Continent is kind of rubbish, admittedly. But it has wizzards in, and they're always amusing. I've always wanted a whole book about Ponder and HEX that's sort of a satire of cyberpunk.

"I heard she's got knives in her fingers!"
"What, like... all of them?"
"Yeah!"
"Bloody hell. I can barely stand a papercut, strewth."

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

precision posted:

I've always wanted a whole book about Ponder and HEX that's sort of a satire of cyberpunk.

Hex plays an interestingly large part in the Science of Discworld trilogy, particularly in Darwin's Watch. They actually contain canon stories, so I recommend them if you've run out of novels to read and haven't read them yet.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Loki Kunti posted:

Wrong. Totally.

You really think Color of Magic, Light Fantastic, Equal Rites and Sourcery are that good? I would never start a new reader on those--they're less cohesive stories and just random fantasy parody event-after-event. And not too funny, to boot...

Mort is probably the best of the early ones, but Wyrd Sisters and Guards! Guards! is when Pratchett really started to create characters versus one-off caricatures, which is sign he got a grasp on the world.

StrawmanUK
Aug 16, 2008
I wouldnt skip any of them either. I did read them in order, as they came out (only COM and LF were out when I started) so I do have a soft spot for his earlier work. In fact I still think Strata is one of his best books.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

StrawmanUK posted:

I wouldnt skip any of them either. I did read them in order, as they came out (only COM and LF were out when I started) so I do have a soft spot for his earlier work. In fact I still think Strata is one of his best books.

You must honestly admit that your view (which started 30 years ago) would be completely different than a new reader with their modern expectations, right?

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Mister Roboto posted:

You must honestly admit that your view (which started 30 years ago) would be completely different than a new reader with their modern expectations, right?

...I have been reading Terry Pratchett books for over twenty years, when the gently caress did that happen?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Mister Roboto posted:

You really think Color of Magic, Light Fantastic, Equal Rites and Sourcery are that good? I would never start a new reader on those--they're less cohesive stories and just random fantasy parody event-after-event. And not too funny, to boot...

Yeah, I started with the first two. They were kind of crap.

If I wasn't talked into giving Guards Guards a try, I doubt I'd have ever read another.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
The first four are very very different from the rest of his work.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

StrawmanUK posted:

I wouldnt skip any of them either. I did read them in order, as they came out (only COM and LF were out when I started) so I do have a soft spot for his earlier work.

Same here. What's up, geezer buddy.

That said, I'm having a hard time reconciling people in this subforum, who read things I would consider "completely irredeemable poo poo" (see: every series aside from this one that has more than a hundred posts in it), telling people not to read the first few Disc books, which one could easily read in a couple hours each. Kids these days!

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

AXE COP posted:

The first four are very very different from the rest of his work.

They're not as good as the rest of the series, but they're not in any way bad books.

I'd start at the beginning too. Or even just read Guards! Guards! or Wyrd Sisters or Pyramids and then go back to the start. I read my first few Discworld novels in random order, starting with Witches Abroad, then Soul Music. It wasn't the best way to do it, but I was 12.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Mister Roboto posted:

I am a new reader and found them light amusing reads.

Loki Kunti
Mar 31, 2010

Mister Roboto posted:

Mort is probably the best of the early ones, but Wyrd Sisters and Guards! Guards! is when Pratchett really started to create characters versus one-off caricatures, which is sign he got a grasp on the world.

I don't know why exactly,1 but I really, really like the first two novels (COM and LF). 'Equal Rites' - ok, I don't remember too much about the quality of the story/the book (but play Iron Maiden - 'Seventh Son of a Seventh Son' in the background during reading - it's awesome). But the fourth book is already 'Mort' and that is still one of my favorites of the Discworld novels.

I have to admit that, when starting to read the novels (20 years ago), I preferred the stories with the wizards and DEATH over the guard stories (and especially the witches stories) - nowadays that has changed, 'Nightwatch' is one of my favorite books (of all books, not only Discworld novels and I re-read it probably over 15 times), with 'Going Postal' the second. But taste is personal and if somebody wants to skip some books and read them later - no problem.

1 But probably because the books are funny satires of classic and traditional fantasy topics - and I like Rincewind.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

rejutka posted:

...I have been reading Terry Pratchett books for over twenty years, when the gently caress did that happen?

I remember Equal Rites coming out and thinking "Wow, a new Discworld book!" Think how I feel. (Hint: old.)

StrawmanUK
Aug 16, 2008

Mister Roboto posted:

Ill admit that yes but they are no means bad books and I just cant imagine anyone liking discworld but not knowing about the adventures of Rincewind, Twoflower and the luggage!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I certainly stand by my opinion that Mort is easily in the top 10 Disc novels and I don't think nostalgia has anything to do with it. Pyramids is another early but great one.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I'm part of the 'they might not have his kick in the developed later ones, but I still enjoy Mort and Sourcery dangit!' gang too.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Yay, my books arrived! I've already read Making Money by chance, but I'm rereading it anyway. Every scene in every book where Vetinari manipulates someone into doing something for him is just great.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Cats like optical fibers.

The_Doctor posted:

Ah, DWCon. I haven't been in a long time

At first, looking at your avatar, I thought this was Doctor Who Con. Then I saw the thread title and realized which universe I was in.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

precision posted:

I certainly stand by my opinion that Mort is easily in the top 10 Disc novels and I don't think nostalgia has anything to do with it. Pyramids is another early but great one.

Mort is fantastic; I can't think of anything I don't like about it. Pyramids is one of my favorites... for the first half, then it kind of looses its way.

The best is Small Gods and Soul Music was the first I read; then I read randomly untill I cought up with the publishing arround Maskerade.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Dirty Frank posted:

Pyramids is one of my favorites... for the first half, then it kind of looses its way.

Now that I think on it, yeah, this is totally true. The stuff with the Assassin's Guild is absolutely amazing, but then things get a bit... weird. Not necessarily bad, just... squiffy.

Holy poo poo Firefox knows that "squiffy" is a real word!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I got to agree Pyramids did wonder a little in the middle of the book, but it tightened up nicely towards the end.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I really liked Pyramids. Especially towards the end. The middle does get a bit off course, but when the dead kings start coming back and complaining I still get chills.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
This is all very subjective. Sourcery was my first Discworld book and I loved it, then read Moving Pictures, followed by Colour of Magic and Light Fantastic which I also loved, and was hooked from that point onwards. This would have been around 15-20 years ago.

My girlfriend, after failing to click with Discworld multiple times, really enjoyed Equal Rites when I randomly tried her on it, and now loves the series. I guess that owed a lot to the fact that she really liked Esk (I think she really identified with her as a girl trying to make her way in a male dominated field, she is doing a Physics degree), but my point is that what one person might deem skippable, could be the perfect introduction to someone else.

chippy fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jun 29, 2012

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

AlphaDog posted:

I really liked Pyramids. Especially towards the end. The middle does get a bit off course, but when the dead kings start coming back and complaining I still get chills.

"Handcuffed to the bed, the aunt thirsted."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnquietDream
Jul 20, 2008

How strange that nobody sees the wonder in one another
I finished Long Earth yesterday and I'm still digesting it, there were a few moments of hyper-characterisation as in 'quick we have to convey that these people are British in a way every reader will get, shove everything remotely connotes British into them'. But other than that I enjoyed it, but it's something that's so open to a sequel that without one it seems almost a lesser work. By that I mean that they introduce a lot of interesting concepts which I feel weren't fully explored within the book and would benefit from more in-depth analysis which by necessity would require revisiting the world.