Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

NESguerilla posted:

Anyone else have a 2011 iMac that frequently drops the wireless signal? I've called Apple and my ISP and neither seems to help. It's super annoying.

What kind of router is it hooked up to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

My 2010 iMac recently stopped automatically acquiring my Wi-Fi network; I think with 10.7.4. It's pretty frustrating because I never had the Wi-Fi issues with Apple machines that people frequently complain about, and I always attributed it to the fact that I use Apple routers as well so everything played nicely. But now whenever I turn on my iMac it doesn't automatically join the network and I have to select it from the drop-down menu. A clean install of Lion and then combo update to 10.7.4 didn't change a thing. Hopefully Mountain Lion corrects the issue.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

My 2010 iMac recently stopped automatically acquiring my Wi-Fi network; I think with 10.7.4. It's pretty frustrating because I never had the Wi-Fi issues with Apple machines that people frequently complain about, and I always attributed it to the fact that I use Apple routers as well so everything played nicely. But now whenever I turn on my iMac it doesn't automatically join the network and I have to select it from the drop-down menu. A clean install of Lion and then combo update to 10.7.4 didn't change a thing. Hopefully Mountain Lion corrects the issue.

I switched over to an Airport Extreme this weekend and now my 2008 Macbook Pro is doing the exact same thing. The network at work connects normally, but I have to pick the one at home from the menu. Very frustrating, but hopefully you're right about Mountain Lion.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

That's pretty weird as I have a mid-2009 MacBook and an 11-inch MacBook Air both running 10.7.4 that never have an issue with a 3rd generation AEBS. And both laptops frequently have to switch to using a Clear 4G portable hotspot..

Did you guys try making the AEBS N-only?

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

My friend's 2010 iMac did this exact same thing and nothing - NOTHING - would fix it.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

That's pretty weird as I have a mid-2009 MacBook and an 11-inch MacBook Air both running 10.7.4 that never have an issue with a 3rd generation AEBS. And both laptops frequently have to switch to using a Clear 4G portable hotspot..

Did you guys try making the AEBS N-only?
Again, I had no issues until recently. I have a 5th-gen AEBS and 4th-gen Time Capsule that have served my 2010 iMac and 2011 Air extremely well for several months. The only thing I can imagine is that 10.7.4 hosed it up.

I'm not going to start modifying my network setup to try to chase down an issue that Apple introduced. My iMac's Wi-Fi served me well until a few weeks ago.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

We gots like 20 Macs and we don't have any issues.

wap4410n running G and N

I've been lucky enough to never have any issues with personal machines either.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

We gots like 20 Macs and we don't have any issues.

wap4410n running G and N
I'm not disputing that people can have perfectly fine wireless configurations, but thank you for the worthless anecdotal information. I was one of those folks who for years had no Wi-Fi issues while other folks complained in this thread about bad Wi-Fi. But something Apple did recently hosed up my 2010 iMac.

If Mountain Lion doesn't fix it, I'll truck it into the Apple Store.

edit: Apple even released updates for my model to fix the issue that I never had. Maybe I'll see if I can remove that somehow. It looks like it was a 10.7.3 update though, and I don't see it as an entry in Software Update so it must have been part of the 10.7.4 combo.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jun 26, 2012

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I'm not disputing that people can have perfectly fine wireless configurations, but thank you for the worthless anecdotal information. I was one of those folks who for years had no Wi-Fi issues while other folks complained in this thread about bad Wi-Fi. But something Apple did recently hosed up my 2010 iMac.

I'm aware that it's not an uncommon issue for people, I just haven't seen it personally.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

gypsyshred posted:

I had no idea that new hardware was so soon, that's good to know. As far as my PC rig, I don't want to compare apples and oranges, as I intend them for different things. Its a semi custom gaming rig that I intend to still use for gaming and movies on the TV, OSX just looks more convenient for everything else. The heaviest lifting I expect to do is audio, multitrack mixing, low latency input for guitars, that kind of thing. The laptops are priced out of my budget, but throwing a mini, a keyboard, a mouse, and a monitor in the car shouldn't be that big of a deal. With a mini, how well does it support multiple monitors in extended desktop?
I only have a single 1920x1200 display, so it's not really comparable, but basically it's fine except Exposé and Mission Control get choppy with enough windows. I did run dual 1920 displays on my older model and that was ok (with the same caveat). Well one annoying thing is video adapter dongles (Monoprice and other places have cheaper alternatives btw). If the next model is like the current one it should come with one for DVI at least.

My main concern* would be the drive speed affecting performance (whether the system itself in general or when doing your audio stuff). One nice thing with a new model would be USB 3 so you could hook up big fast cheap enclosures.

*Of course I say that knowing nothing about CPU requirements you'll need, or which models you're choosing between.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Dr Solway Garr posted:

On that note, what's up with basically 0 third party programs being updated for the display so far? Is it just too early?
The documentation is minimal and terrible, and since they don't advertise that you can use HiDPI on older macs and haven't even delivered all of the release day orders, a lot of developers probably haven't even started updating programs.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

edit: Apple even released updates for my model to fix the issue that I never had. Maybe I'll see if I can remove that somehow. It looks like it was a 10.7.3 update though, and I don't see it as an entry in Software Update so it must have been part of the 10.7.4 combo.

I had the same symptoms as what you're describing, and it turned out to be one of the Airport Express (N) stations on the network was frizzing out, and when going to isolation with just one Airport Extreme, the issue resolved.

Took literally days of work to find out what the cause was.

Good luck, it's utterly infuriating. :(

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

I had SWSP's exact issues with 2 Airs and 2 2008/2009 iMacs all running 10.7.4. Never had issues with SL. A switch to a 2011 Time Capsule helped in that they all now connect automatically but still strangely ask which network to join.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer

Oh god was it with that AEBS? And have you had the same issues with other devices? Or it's just the iMac? :ohdear: I guess we will find out if this will happen with other apple laptops.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

DaNzA posted:

Oh god was it with that AEBS? And have you had the same issues with other devices? Or it's just the iMac? :ohdear: I guess we will find out if this will happen with other apple laptops.
Nope I use my Time Capsule to serve Wi-Fi.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
I guess you guys need to wire up the gigabit :)

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Nope I use my Time Capsule to serve Wi-Fi.
Dunno how adverse you are to running dev stuff on your personal machines, but 10.7.5's been seeded to Developers. Maybe there's something in there that would help the Wi-Fi issues?

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Can I use a Time Capsule to extend wifi? I don't even know if that's a real thing, but it'd be cool if I could have my Time Capsule downstairs while my regular wifi router is upstairs, and generally boost the signal around the place. Is this a thing or am I dumb? (could be both! :v:)

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Digital Jesus posted:

Can I use a Time Capsule to extend wifi? I don't even know if that's a real thing, but it'd be cool if I could have my Time Capsule downstairs while my regular wifi router is upstairs, and generally boost the signal around the place. Is this a thing or am I dumb? (could be both! :v:)
Yes. You can see my results with this setup in the Home Networking thread. Here's the relevant post..

MrEnigma posted:

I guess you guys need to wire up the gigabit :)
My new house came wired to every room, but the iMac's not on the correct wall. :) You can click the link above, then scroll up to see my wiring cabinet.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jun 27, 2012

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
Anyone have had used the 2011 Air and the 2012 Air now and be willing to shed light on any major differences with performance, and if it's really at all noticeable?

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

My new house came wired to every room, but the iMac's not on the correct wall. :) You can click the link above, then scroll up to see my wiring cabinet.

My iMac in my office is on the wrong wall as well :( I just got a 30' off white cable and ran it along the base (there is furniture covering almost all of it thankfully).

I pulled two cat5e lines to every room in the house, and then some, which resulted in about ~32 lines dropped in to the downstairs furnace room (has all mechanicals in it). Put the router in it, and couldn't get wifi on the other side of the house :( Using a AEBS.

So I used some fish line to snake two cat5 to the closet under the stairs (center of the house) and mounted the AEBS on the ceiling. Wifi works great in every room now.

Next challenge is getting it to the garage for some airplay action on some outdoor/garage speakers.

Edit: It's a bit messy right now since my HDTV antenna is messing it up, but I'll try to get a few photos.

Edit2:

Patch Panel w/ 16 port gigabit switch, plus shelf with NAS/HDHomeRun/Cable Modem/UPS

AEBS up under the stairs.

MrEnigma fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jun 27, 2012

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

FlashBangBob posted:

Anyone have had used the 2011 Air and the 2012 Air now and be willing to shed light on any major differences with performance, and if it's really at all noticeable?

This isn't scientific in the least, but a friend of mine picked up a 2012 13" MBA, and in general use I couldn't tell a difference between it and my (now sold) 2011 11" MBA. I didn't attempt anything that would tax the GPU, though, which is where the real difference would lie. Unless you're really hampered by the HD 3000 in the 2011 model, I wouldn't really see a point to upgrading, especially since I'd wager next year's update will have retina displays available.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
If you use external drives much (and aren't willing to shell out for Thunderbolt), USB 3 should be a nice improvement.

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009
Are the c2d MacBooks still pretty decent for basic stuff? I know mountain lion is out of the question but do they run lion pretty well? I needed a small laptop for school and my sister offered me her old black MacBook. I thought about throwing a small SSD in it and getting a new battery. I just need pages/browsing really basic stuff maybe some small coding/dev stuff. Any tips or suggestions?

x-virge
May 25, 2003

Plorkyeran posted:

The documentation is minimal and terrible, and since they don't advertise that you can use HiDPI on older macs and haven't even delivered all of the release day orders, a lot of developers probably haven't even started updating programs.

WWDC sessions since 2005 have said "Be ready for HiDPI" and "Use Quartz Debug to enable UI resolution". Yes, the specifics of supporting HiDPI have changed over the years, but the idea of needing to be ready for it (or having the tools to test it) has hardly been a giant secret.

There are certainly a lot of tricky things to work through depending on the specific APIs one is using. But most savvy Mac devs should know about HiDPI testing by now.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Nask26 posted:

Are the c2d MacBooks still pretty decent for basic stuff? I know mountain lion is out of the question but do they run lion pretty well? I needed a small laptop for school and my sister offered me her old black MacBook. I thought about throwing a small SSD in it and getting a new battery. I just need pages/browsing really basic stuff maybe some small coding/dev stuff. Any tips or suggestions?

I would probably stick to 10.6, in fact.

Before you buy anything potentially expensive like batteries/RAM/SSD/new OS, make sure you compare that cost to the price of say a refurbished MBA less the cost of selling the old MacBook as-is.
Quite possibly you will find that for only a little bit more you could get a brand new laptop that will be faster, have warranty, and lighter.

edit: refurbished 2011 MBAs start at $759.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Nask26 posted:

... my sister offered me her old black MacBook. I thought about throwing a small SSD in it and getting a new battery.

I did this and it was great. The only thing you'll notice is that fancy Mission Control animations will be slightly lower framerate. Depending on the model it may accept 6GB (2+4) of RAM, too. CS5 ran fine. If you're going above and beyond, clean out the fan and maybe put fresh thermal grease on the CPU heat spreader. Should last quite a while.

^^^ edit: what this guy said. I actually sold the upgraded rig and got an MBA just a couple months after. I wasn't partial to the yellowed screen and creaky plastic chassis, but I'm spoiled.

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009
I'd love a MBA, were about to close on a house so there is no way to convince the wife to spend more on one. I'm getting the Macbook for free and I have ram from my old original CD MBP that should work. I have a pretty nice laptop that I use at home but its a bit too big to be lugging around campus all day and the battery life is pretty bad. I have to buy a battery and the SSD would be awesome if I could find a used small one. I can manage it being a little bit slower, i just didn't want to waste my money on a system that is going to be a pain in the rear end to use heh!

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Nask26 posted:

I'd love a MBA, were about to close on a house so there is no way to convince the wife to spend more on one. I'm getting the Macbook for free and I have ram from my old original CD MBP that should work. I have a pretty nice laptop that I use at home but its a bit too big to be lugging around campus all day and the battery life is pretty bad. I have to buy a battery and the SSD would be awesome if I could find a used small one. I can manage it being a little bit slower, i just didn't want to waste my money on a system that is going to be a pain in the rear end to use heh!
For free? Yeah might as well go for it. The main (non upgradable) issue with it would be the Intel graphics, but that shouldn't be a problem for your use case. Just don't let the costs of upgrades add up too much like the battery (or RAM if needed), stuff like the SSD could be used later on at least.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
I didn't realize I've had my MBA for 15 days already, I guess that means i'm keeping it! :3:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

FlashBangBob posted:

The jump is small to the point that upgrading to a 2012 is pretty pointless.

If you have one the much older ones like the older Core 2 models it makes sense to upgrade but going from Sandy Bridge->Ivy Bridge is not a massive increase in performance.

Ivy Bridge does also improve 3D game performance by a good amount but for most laptop applications such as media you will not notice a big difference.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006
Over lunch yesterday, I happened to visit our local Carbon Computing store ( a small Canadian Mac-specific reseller ), mainly to gauge the 13" Air's screen over the MPB 15" I have now. After a brief conversation with the salesperson over whether they stocked some CTO options that the Apple store normally wouldn't (they don't really), I couldn't think of a single reason why that store continues to exist. They do sell used Macs, but prices are better on Kijiji or Craigslist, and adding insult to injury, these guys are next to a bus stop that takes you directly to the local mall with an Apple store (Kitchener/Waterloo).

It's funny to watch the lack of creative adaptation of some re-sellers versus others (OWC as a success story). The Apple store is pretty great for most platform needs, but maybe there are niches these 3rd parties can fill? Maybe they can do killer repair service or offer in-home support?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

krooj posted:

Over lunch yesterday, I happened to visit our local Carbon Computing store ( a small Canadian Mac-specific reseller ), mainly to gauge the 13" Air's screen over the MPB 15" I have now. After a brief conversation with the salesperson over whether they stocked some CTO options that the Apple store normally wouldn't (they don't really), I couldn't think of a single reason why that store continues to exist. They do sell used Macs, but prices are better on Kijiji or Craigslist, and adding insult to injury, these guys are next to a bus stop that takes you directly to the local mall with an Apple store (Kitchener/Waterloo).

It's funny to watch the lack of creative adaptation of some re-sellers versus others (OWC as a success story). The Apple store is pretty great for most platform needs, but maybe there are niches these 3rd parties can fill? Maybe they can do killer repair service or offer in-home support?

All the small Mac shops in my area (that don't exist anymore) used to make all thier money selling to businesses and schools.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

All the small Mac shops in my area (that don't exist anymore) used to make all thier money selling to businesses and schools.

Makes sense. I guess for Canada and some parts of the US, there's a case for these 3rd parties in more remote cities/towns, where shipping the computer out for repair is a pain in the rear end.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

krooj posted:

Makes sense. I guess for Canada and some parts of the US, there's a case for these 3rd parties in more remote cities/towns, where shipping the computer out for repair is a pain in the rear end.

Same thing here, I'm at least 2 hours from an Apple store in either direction :( When one of our iMacs had the HD go bad, it was easier to just buy one and replace it ourselves.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Anyone ever use the NuPower replacement batteries that OWC and a couple other places sell?

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

Same thing here, I'm at least 2 hours from an Apple store in either direction :( When one of our iMacs had the HD go bad, it was easier to just buy one and replace it ourselves.
Call an AASP and see if they offer onsite repair. Most of the iMacs have coverage for onsites under AppleCare.

Bob Morales posted:

Anyone ever use the NuPower replacement batteries that OWC and a couple other places sell?
Yeah, NewerTech stuff is generally great. They had some issues with the batteries not staying seated properly a few years ago, but our rep actually handled shipping replacements straight to the customers who bought the bad batch from us.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

I had one of these in my 13" Core 2 Duo Whitebook. It seemed to work just fine and looked identical to the Apple OEM one.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Rumors have it that Apple will be launching a 13in Retina Macbook Pro sometime in the Fall. They say it will have integrated graphics. Can someone who understands these things a little better than I do shed some light on how well an integrated graphics chip will be able to push so many pixels? Tech blogs seem to indicate the HD4000 is a big jump over the HD3000, so maybe games would be possible? I really only play Civ5. I just think the 15in is too big for me.

I had a Mac Mini running an HD3000 integrated graphics chip and was able to do two 1900x1200 monitors (4.56m pixels) under normal conditions easily, though games were a no-go. A retina 13in screen, if they use the Air's 13in resolution of 1440x900 but make it retina, would have 5.18m pixels. Without any technical knowledge of how these integrated GPUs work, it seems like the difference of .5m pixels shouldn't be too big of a deal. Someone with some technical knowledge please shed some light~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Rumors have it that Apple will be launching a 13in Retina Macbook Pro sometime in the Fall. They say it will have integrated graphics. Can someone who understands these things a little better than I do shed some light on how well an integrated graphics chip will be able to push so many pixels? Tech blogs seem to indicate the HD4000 is a big jump over the HD3000, so maybe games would be possible? I really only play Civ5. I just think the 15in is too big for me.

I had a Mac Mini running an HD3000 integrated graphics chip and was able to do two 1900x1200 monitors (4.56m pixels) under normal conditions easily, though games were a no-go. A retina 13in screen, if they use the Air's 13in resolution of 1440x900 but make it retina, would have 5.18m pixels. Without any technical knowledge of how these integrated GPUs work, it seems like the difference of .5m pixels shouldn't be too big of a deal. Someone with some technical knowledge please shed some light~

They'll use the 1280x800 resolution and make it Retina, and with scaling you'll be able to hit 1440x900 I would imagine.

So you're looking at 2560x1600