Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cannon Goose
Oct 29, 2010

Modern Pragmatist posted:

Apple TV doesn't handle 6-channel audio. It must be encoded as 5.1 in order to get surround sound.

I was under the impression that the 6 channel option in Handbrake basically was 5.1 (6 channels with one of them being the .1) but if that isn't the case then how would I go about ripping proper 5.1 sound?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Thwomp posted:

Yeah, airplay can be restricted by the app so it's on Hulu to enable support for it. But they seem to be holding out for whatever reason/agreement with Apple.
I think AirPlay is implemented by the app but AirPlay mirroring is system-wide and can't be disabled. IIRC I used this to watch an ABC show the other day. The problem is that the iPad is 4:3 and the mirroring pillarboxes that. So for 16:9 content, you either maximize it on the iPad and then have the sides cropped off, or don't maximize and keep it 16:9 but have black bars on all four sides of the TV image. Not ideal.

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

Cannon Goose posted:

I was under the impression that the 6 channel option in Handbrake basically was 5.1 (6 channels with one of them being the .1) but if that isn't the case then how would I go about ripping proper 5.1 sound?

https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/SurroundSoundGuide

quote:

Another method is to create 5.1 channel AAC audio tracks. For the Track Mix, select "6 channel discrete" from the drop-down menu, and your movie will contain discrete surround sound in the modern AAC format.... It cannot be sent over an optical cable to a home theater amp. If you try, whether on a Mac or an AppleTV, you will only hear "downmixed" surround sound, similar to Dolby Pro Logic.

The ideal settings for Handbrake to work with the aTV are Dolby Pro Logic II with AC3 pass-through.

Cannon Goose
Oct 29, 2010

Modern Pragmatist posted:

https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/SurroundSoundGuide

The ideal settings for Handbrake to work with the aTV are Dolby Pro Logic II with AC3 pass-through.

This works perfectly, thanks for the link!

Now, can anyone tell me why my ripped videos have a garbled preview image in iTunes and on the Apple TV itself?

I know I can just put it any artwork I want to replace that, but why do they come out all crazy?

bobzmuda
Jul 24, 2001

golgo13sf posted:

Unfortunately I don't watch either one.

College and pro football and college bball are my poison.

Not the end of the world, I'd probably have more fun watching at a bar or a friend's house anyway.

You can always watch a stream on your iPad (via iSwifter) and kick it over to your TV via AirPlay. Or, when Mountain Lion comes out, you can watch the stream on your Mac and kick it over to your TV via AirPlay.

Not sure there's a good college/pro football solution on the aTV unless you're jailbroken and you have an iPad or Mac.

gregday
May 23, 2003

A promising hint...

iOS 6 beta for Apple TV allows customizable app icon layouts

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/12/06/27/ios_6_beta_for_apple_tv_allows_customizable_app_icon_layouts.html

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

This incremental stuff is just teasing me Apple. Give me the big innovation already!

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!

Thwomp posted:

This incremental stuff is just teasing me Apple. Give me the big innovation already!

Seriously. I want goddamn apps on my goddamn apple tv.

Goddammit!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

MickRaider posted:

Seriously. I want goddamn apps on my goddamn apple tv.

Goddammit!
As far as I know, the Apple TV has almost no non-volatile memory -- just enough for iOS.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

As far as I know, the Apple TV has almost no non-volatile memory -- just enough for iOS.

I thought the tear downs (at least on the atv2) showed 8gb, and if it's anything like the iPod Touch, the OS should take about 3gbs of that. Granted it needs a place to store streaming data and such as well.

gregday
May 23, 2003

8GB is correct.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Do we know how much space the OS consumes? I assume it's under 1 gig.

7 gigs for apps seems like plenty. Especially if apple limits it to certain providers.

I envision a Hulu app, ESPN, and major networks like NBC.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Yes apps please and also let me delete MLB and NFL and NHL or whatever to make more room for stuff I'll use.

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

MickRaider posted:

Do we know how much space the OS consumes? I assume it's under 1 gig.

On my jailbroken ATV2 I get the following:

code:
aether:~ root# df -h
Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/disk0s1s1        681M  602M   73M  90% /
devfs                  26K   26K     0 100% /dev
/dev/disk0s1s2        6.8G  845M  6.0G  13% /private/var
So it looks like there is lots of spare space.

gregday
May 23, 2003

randyest posted:

Yes apps please and also let me delete MLB and NFL and NHL or whatever to make more room for stuff I'll use.

You can hide certain icons in the beta too :ssh:

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what
C'mon Apple, Daddy needs WatchESPN and HBOGo apps ASAP!

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
This might be known already, but it seems that Apple TV 2 units are going for $140-160 on ebay/amazon. Must be because you can jailbreak them.

I don't care about jail breaking much (have a boxes for anything like that), and wanted 1080p, so I upgraded and made $50.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

MrEnigma posted:

This might be known already, but it seems that Apple TV 2 units are going for $140-160 on ebay/amazon. Must be because you can jailbreak them.

I don't care about jail breaking much (have a boxes for anything like that), and wanted 1080p, so I upgraded and made $50.

Wow the gen 1s are selling for way more than I expected too. Hmmm I've been wanting a new one...

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

FishBulb posted:

Wow the gen 1s are selling for way more than I expected too. Hmmm I've been wanting a new one...

Lots of people were taking the wifi cards out, and putting the hd playback cards in, which made them play 720p pretty awesomely, and you have a fully functional computer.

I had one, sold it for a loss 3-4 years ago, oh well.

Edit: I just realized this means i've owned every generation of apple tv..eeks

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
That seems like a lot of work to me, Id rather just have a 99 dollar 1080p streaming box.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

FishBulb posted:

That seems like a lot of work to me, Id rather just have a 99 dollar 1080p streaming box.

If you don't mind running your poo poo through handbrake (what I do), or getting your content from iTunes/NetFlix, it's a really good device.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

ZShakespeare posted:

If you don't mind running your poo poo through handbrake (what I do), or getting your content from iTunes/NetFlix, it's a really good device.

Speaking of handbrake, is there any way to skip needless video conversion? I've read that most often, it's just audio that needs to be converted to get a movie file to play on an Apple TV (or other iOS device).

Is there some settings to look for in handbrake? Or something in the stats/details of a file to see if it really requires the long conversion that's typical in handbrake?

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Thwomp posted:

Speaking of handbrake, is there any way to skip needless video conversion? I've read that most often, it's just audio that needs to be converted to get a movie file to play on an Apple TV (or other iOS device).

Is there some settings to look for in handbrake? Or something in the stats/details of a file to see if it really requires the long conversion that's typical in handbrake?

I just pick the apple tv 2 setting and let it rip. I don't know if it will detect whether only part of the video needs converting.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

ZShakespeare posted:

... Or if you have an iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch and AirVideo or oplayer you can stream pretty much anything right from your PC or NAS to it. Suits my needs.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Thwomp posted:

I don't think it's an option in HandBrake (at least in the GUI) but there's other apps that can attempt it. For the Mac there's MP4tools, not sure about specific apps on Windows other than Avidemux (cross platform, but I think the Mac version has been broken for a while). If you're playing through an iOS device and AirPlay, StreamToMe can attempt to play without converting, although it's not always predictable.

I've had pretty good luck with MKVs which tend to have complaint h264 streams in them in my experience, but AVIs have been a mixed bag.

japtor fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jun 28, 2012

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Generally, I use handbrake on long-term storage. Movies and stuff I want to keep in my iTunes library at all times for streaming to my aTV2 or iDevices.

I've also got AirVideo for more short-term mobile video watching.

I was just curious if it was possible to eliminate unnecessary converting time. Sounds like I could but not without getting into a lot of nitty gritty video details.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

ZShakespeare posted:

Thats what I do now on my ATV 1st gen. I was just surprised they held as much value as they have.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Thwomp posted:

Generally, I use handbrake on long-term storage. Movies and stuff I want to keep in my iTunes library at all times for streaming to my aTV2 or iDevices.

I've also got AirVideo for more short-term mobile video watching.

I was just curious if it was possible to eliminate unnecessary converting time. Sounds like I could but not without getting into a lot of nitty gritty video details.
Well it's easy with MP4tools, load a file in and the "Pass thru" options will turn red if it doesn't think it'll work. Avidemux is just a mess UI wise so I can't help there :shobon:. Pretty sure there's a lot of other apps but I can't think of the names off the top of my head.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I really wish Apple would put up a splash screen or something after it does an update.

Thwomp posted:

IVI in the Mac App Store ($4) handles it seamlessly, as well as letting you edit the metadata for all the fields including ones not editable in iTunes.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ivi/id402279089?mt=12

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

smackfu posted:

I really wish Apple would put up a splash screen or something after it does an update.

IVI in the Mac App Store ($4) handles it seamlessly, as well as letting you edit the metadata for all the fields including ones not editable in iTunes.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ivi/id402279089?mt=12

If you buy it off their site, there is a pro version (I think that's what it's called). That you can rip from DVD in.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

To convert MKV's to MP4's I've been using this. http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=163050 It just remuxes things so it only takes 10 to 15 minutes or so tops. I use it to convert things for my aTV and iDevices and use iTunes home sharing to stream them out.

I have a big XBMC setup for major HTPC duties, but stuff for my kid is easier to put on the aTV or iPad in MP4.

I really want to move from XBMC to Plex and use the aTV as a front end, but what I've got going on right now works really well and there is still no jailbreak to put the plex app on it.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

skipdogg posted:

To convert MKV's to MP4's I've been using this. http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=163050 It just remuxes things so it only takes 10 to 15 minutes or so tops. I use it to convert things for my aTV and iDevices and use iTunes home sharing to stream them out.

I have a big XBMC setup for major HTPC duties, but stuff for my kid is easier to put on the aTV or iPad in MP4.

I really want to move from XBMC to Plex and use the aTV as a front end, but what I've got going on right now works really well and there is still no jailbreak to put the plex app on it.

This is actually perfect and, I think, better than handbrake for what I use it for. Thanks for pointing it out.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I'll definitely give it a shot. It's not quite as one-touch-and-done as Handbrake but might be worth it.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Is it worth updating my ATV2s to 4.4.4 or whatever the latest 4.x release is? They're still on 4.1.1 and I guess the newest Plex won't work with it? I've just been using XBMC but want to give Plex a go.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

The latest ATV iOS is 5.0.2 (5.1.1) and you can jailbreak it: http://support.firecore.com/entries/387605

Plex works fine.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

MickRaider posted:

The latest ATV iOS is 5.0.2 (5.1.1) and you can jailbreak it: http://support.firecore.com/entries/387605

Plex works fine.
I read this as a new jailbreak is out and I was so happy. Now my Atv 3 and I are going to be sad again.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I don't really like the gui of iOS5 but as long as Plex and/or XBMC work fine I might as well give it a shot.

EDIT: Anyone use ATVFlash? Is it worth it? I'm thinking I'd rather just pay the $30 and have a one shot software for all this stuff.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jul 2, 2012

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

FCKGW posted:

I don't really like the gui of iOS5 but as long as Plex and/or XBMC work fine I might as well give it a shot.

EDIT: Anyone use ATVFlash? Is it worth it? I'm thinking I'd rather just pay the $30 and have a one shot software for all this stuff.

My father in law uses it, seems to work without having any issues.

bobzmuda
Jul 24, 2001

FCKGW posted:

I use it because I got tired of futzing around with XBMC settings and trying to get AFS shares working in XBMC. ATVFlash Media Player finds the external hard drive connected to my mac just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
But if you don't have AFS shares, XBMC works just fine. A JB'd ATV2 with XBMC is superb for a great deal of users (Mac concerns not withstanding).

• Locked thread