Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:
obviously bran survived by falling in a pile of danyshit - the question is whether the old gods or the new put it there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
the Children of the Forest did it.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

The Children of the Forest did 9/11.

A second dragon has hit the south weirwood!

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I was awake for the first dragon.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

I remember eating honeyed locusts and roasted neeps with mine nuncle when it happened. He couldn't help but vomit when he heard the horrible news. I however was but a stripling boy, so I knew little and less of the significance.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Oh look, Americans discover Others aren't just fodder for an Old Nan tale. *runs around like a headless Cersei*

Go on then, have Joffrey pass the Lannister act.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Urdnot Fire posted:

I remember eating honeyed locusts and roasted neeps with mine nuncle when it happened. He couldn't help but vomit when he heard the horrible news. I however was but a stripling boy, so I knew little and less of the significance.

I stood up and shat all over the Dothraki Sea when it happened.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Sorry contra but the astrophysics of the strange orbit and rotation of planet Asoiaf destroy your theorem, the gravitational constant is all out of whack thats why gregor smash so strong and the hound can bisext dudes... 2x gravity my saiyan ! ninja please..

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
Ask me ASOIAF physics questions and I will answer them for twenty cents. An extra ten cents if you want diagrams.

I'm literally living in a box in the goddamned gutter in downtown Salt Lake City. I am hoping to upgrade to a one-man tent by the end of this year.

edit: This is the most shameful loving thing in the world. I could have been a stripper to pay for my college, but I guess I'll have to settle for ASOIAF-Physics instead.

edit edit: Also, I'm not actually planning to ever get paid for this anything I do in my entire life. One of you guys would probably just stab me and steal it all anyway.

(I'm not a spambot, I promise.)

Contra Calculus fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jun 28, 2012

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

Greatbacon posted:

What's the T2SB (time to shameful boner) from flaccid while riding a horse? Does the presence of a saddle severely affect this metric?

Depends. How many hot sweaty half-naked Dothraki are surrounding you as you ride?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Watch Joffrey Baratheon start a war!

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Open your eyes Sheeple. There ARE no dragons. The Lannisters just want you to blame the Targaryen's because they have heard rumors from across the Sea! It's an excuse to militarize and attack their loyal subjects in the north, all in the guise of "defending" the Weirwood.

If there were dragons, where are the fields of fire? Don't you think its a bit suspicious that the ONLY things that were burned were those 2 trees? I mean, fire didn't even HIT that third weirwood... They said that burning debris knocked it over... but if you look closely, it has AXE Marks on it!

I think we ALL know that the weirdwood know secrets... and were participating in an ongoing investigation into the parentage of Jon Snow... something the privy council doesn't want the rest of Westeros to know.

Jon Snow is actually a Targaryen and the weirwoods had the proof. With Ned gone - who else would know the truth? Howland Reed & the Weirwoods. Howland is in hiding for his life, and the weirwoods have been burned and destroyed north of the wall.

Don't even get me started on the Iron Bank! Joffrey may have shot the bolt that killed that poor beggar.. but it is Bravos who winds the crossbow!

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Contra Calculus posted:

Ask me ASOIAF physics questions and I will answer them for twenty cents. An extra ten cents if you want diagrams.

(I'm not a spambot, I promise.)

-Gregor has extra long arms and also uses a broadsword one handed - how much additional force does this provide his strikes?

-Knowing that it took 3 dragons to melt the walls of Harranhal, and assuming that a single dragon can only breathe fire 10 times a day, how much energy is in an average Dragon Breath Attack? (assume Harranhal was made from Granite)

-The Wall is 700 feet high, yet wildlings at the base are able to deliver arrows to the top with killing force. Assuming an arrow weighs 500 grains, how much force would be required to launch an arrow from the bottom of the wall to the top? Bonus question: How many wildlings would it take to pull the bow?

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
The arms wouldn't add all that much strength, as it's the pecs and whatever the muscle group is in the back opposite the pecs that really controls the force with which a (one-handed, anyway) swing occurs. That's why you never get in a fight with cowboys despite them looking like string beans.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

kcroy posted:

-Gregor has extra long arms and also uses a broadsword one handed - how much additional force does this provide his strikes?

-Knowing that it took 3 dragons to melt the walls of Harranhal, and assuming that a single dragon can only breathe fire 10 times a day, how much energy is in an average Dragon Breath Attack? (assume Harranhal was made from Granite)

-The Wall is 700 feet high, yet wildlings at the base are able to deliver arrows to the top with killing force. Assuming an arrow weighs 500 grains, how much force would be required to launch an arrow from the bottom of the wall to the top? Bonus question: How many wildlings would it take to pull the bow?

Oh lordy, I love The Wall fight questions because there's no goddamn way in hell you'd ever launch an arrow up that high with a killing force let alone properly aim at people on top of it :allears: George has no sense of scale.

I'll work on the Harrenhal one tonight when I get back from work.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Ezekiel 23:20
I don't know about this 9/11 crap but the TSA is about as useful as nipples on a breastplate.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

kcroy posted:

Jon Snow is actually a Targaryen and the weirwoods had the proof. With Ned gone - who else would know the truth? Howland Reed & the Weirwoods. Howland is in hiding for his life, and the weirwoods have been burned and destroyed north of the wall.

Don't even get me started on the Iron Bank! Joffrey may have shot the bolt that killed that poor beggar.. but it is Bravos who winds the crossbow!
I heard that 4000 Iron Bankers stayed home from work that day... :tinfoil:

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Went over a buddies house this past weekend to start watching season 2, DVRed. Got up to halfway through episode 3.

Good christ, but this show sucks. The poo poo they changed for no logical reason, the poo poo they added for no logical/redeeming reason.

- Jon follows Crastor into the woods and witnesses the offering of the infant, Crastor bonking Jon on the head... WTF?

- Extended reinforcement of brothel story line, complete with whore having drooling semen wiped off and then soul kissing a client, followed by a 15 minute calming threat for a whore to stop crying about something that happened in a scene earlier in the show?

What. The. gently caress.

Honestly, are these things that Gurm would have changed if he could go back in time and do rewrites?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Based on ADWD, yes.

If he wrote the trilogy, there would have been tons of whores and jizz everywhere.

More proof he never wrote the trilogy.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Contra Calculus posted:

I'm literally living in a box in the goddamned gutter in downtown Salt Lake City. I am hoping to upgrade to a one-man tent by the end of this year.

Dude, could you all keep the smoke down there? Sick of waking up smelling like forest fire, hacking up lungs of soot.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Seriously, I grew up in Tacoma. A place most known for the phrase "the aroma of Tacoma" where the smell of saw mills and lovely docks come together in a Avengers-esque team up of olfactory offense.

I drove through SLC last year on a road trip, didn't even STOP and I was just dumbfounded by how loving TERRIBLE that city smells. I refuse to believe human beings can live there.

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011

whowhatwhere posted:

The arms wouldn't add all that much strength, as it's the pecs and whatever the muscle group is in the back opposite the pecs that really controls the force with which a (one-handed, anyway) swing occurs. That's why you never get in a fight with cowboys despite them looking like string beans.

This is false. The principle behind crowbars and levers is that the longer, the stronger. Try it out yourself, try to open a door by pushing near the hinges, then try by pushing the knob. The later is much easier to do.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Contra Calculus posted:

George has no sense of scale.

When he saw how high Cyanide made the wall in the GoT RPG he thought they'd gotten it wrong. When they corrected him by saying they built it exactly as high as he'd said in the books, he replied "I wrote that wall too drat high."

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

The better to keep the Others irrelevant with.

zocio
Nov 3, 2011
Contra Calculus, the wall is the rough equivalent of a 50 floor building (213 meters) so.. why didn't the black brothers just throw smooth stones (4 oz./ 100 grams +) at the wildlings?.

Bonus points for estimating the minimum weight of an object to kill from that height taking into account wind resistance.

Bonus bonus points for calculating if a returning arrow would kill the archer who send it.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
I'm here representing the "I Wrote That Wall 2 drat High" party.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
If you poo poo off the wall does it freeze on the way down, and if so, would the crystalline shitspray be able to kill a man, like pierce his heart?

Ethereal Duck
Oct 29, 2010

Depends on how steamy and/or solid that poo poo is, I'd say.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Urdnot Fire posted:

The better to keep the Others irrelevant with.

This. It is the height of the wall that has kept the Others completely out of the story line.

bigmcgaffney posted:

If you poo poo off the wall does it freeze on the way down, and if so, would the crystalline shitspray be able to kill a man, like pierce his heart?

Kill a man, or kill an Other?

zocio
Nov 3, 2011

bigmcgaffney posted:

If the weather was cold enought to flash freeze poo poo, wouldn't your dead, black, shriveled testicles hit the wildlings first?

And if so, would the be lethal?

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

It all depends on how big your member is.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
0.4 on the Hodor scale.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
0.1 on the Tormund scale.

thornghost
Oct 11, 2010

I have a picture of me with GRRM. He looks less than enthused.

Fog Tripper posted:

Kill a man, or kill an Other?

Sam can invent a way to crush obsidian so small it can be mixed with water and swallowed. The Night's Watch can drink this and make their excrement effective against the Others.

It is known.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
0.5 on the Pink Mast Circumference Chart

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

thornghost posted:

Sam can invent a way to crush obsidian so small it can be mixed with water and swallowed. The Night's Watch can drink this and make their excrement effective against the Others.

It is known.

Or just give dany an obsidian buttplug and point her in the right direction.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

whowhatwhere posted:

"I wrote that wall too drat high."

All the walls in the story are too drat high. Winterfell's walls are something like 10 stories high. Someone should have taught gurm to write all the heights in Subway Sandwiches and then just control+f'd Subway Sandwiches with feet.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

whowhatwhere posted:

"I wrote that wall too drat high."

You know, if you parse that a little differently, it explains his laziness, fatness, and inability to meet deadlines.

The Mutato
Feb 23, 2011

Neil deGrasse Highson

Martin Van Buren posted:

I'm here representing the "I Wrote That Wall 2 drat High" party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffle Ho
Jul 29, 2004

What are they complaining about today? Fucking shithole of a city. Whining bastards, bitching about the trash or the crime or this or that.
Okay, I didn't want to interrupt the Subway n' buttplugs discussion but we have no spoiler thread anymore.

This chick can't be Myranda Royce; it's two seasons too soon and her chest isn't big enough anyway.

She is only 5'3" though, so maybe she's Meera and they're pointlessly changing her name?