Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!
I can't really comment on the new round of proposed changes, it's been altered so much it's hard to compare current experience to proposed future experience.

It does look like the max HP may have been lowered further - that's no good. :(

We'll have to see how good the toxic damage actually is. Since bio is in itself a slot hog, if it's some super tiny unenhanceable number, you might actually be able to do more damage with pretty much any other set that isn't a slot hog by having slots to spare for your other attacks, and more build mobility.

Also - wow - lots of replies today. Reading through the Starsman vs (almost) Everyone debate. I can't believe people are defending him. Some guy says "Oh, he ALWAYS responded to everyone!" but he never responded to any of my questions. His first chart was following the statement "Here are my numbers, bigger = better, I will tell you what they mean later.. but you can see by this that bio is clearly overpowered!" and 3-4 charts later, when he actually did tell us what they had meant, he had to account for a lot of different things.

I don't think he's even updated his chart since he finally admitted he was counting the "no toggle" regeneration in his defensive toggle calculations, and wasn't counting Health for other ATs.

.. Seriously, though. He counts the heals from Bio as all working at 100% effectiveness, and the base number for DPS as 45 seconds - and uses the heals twice in that time. I'm sorry but if you had the right amount of recharge to get the Bio heals to under 45 seconds, you'd have Dark Regeneration to a point where you'd blow bio out of the water.

I really doubt he's accounting for the -tohit potential of sets like WP and Dark. BUT Since he didn't respond to me like that guy said we may never know.

Edit: To really be clear... Regeneration gets BURST down. You don't need (the amount of regeneration it has over X seconds) to kill it, you need (its max HP inbetween click heals and regeneration ticks) to kill it.

Using a system where everything is going to be alive for 45 seconds is really, really stupid, and skews the results greatly inbetween spreadsheet and in-game performance. I highly doubt this person has actually played Bio as he claims, or someone else on his team is tanking / providing buffs/debuffs.

Arcanaville;4289289 posted:

The devs have always been somewhat distrustful of numerical analysis, and even though I live and die by it, a couple times literally
:spergin: quote of the day

Tom Powers fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jun 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Z
Jun 14, 2012

Bieeardo posted:

I thought the second contest was Friday night?

No, it's tonight.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Oh! I see, I misread the time conversion for BST. I are dumb. Thanks for the correction!

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
I decided not to try Pancake Rabbit again, but I can't decide between Chemistry Cat and Y U NO PICK ME?

Of course I do have 2 accounts...

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Dammit, I probably won't make there in time with Everyday I'm Rustlin.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Got my costume tweaked for authenticity, did the gauntlet to Port Oakes, and now I'm lurking ominously behind a man wearing a towel.

WeX Majors
Apr 16, 2006
Joined for the archives
I honest to god have been completely stumped for a costume ever since they announced it. I've just not been able to come up with something decent.

However, since I've been spending most of the week alternating between Penny Arcade 3 and the new TF2 update, I haven't even gotten a chance to load the game up.

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

Oh I forgot about the contest. Guess I'll just log in and-Oh, an update. Hurraaaay.

Well uh. Maybe they'll accept late entries.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!
Ted, Arcana literally said in the thread that if no one had mentioned the -regen, and only she had Synapse would have nerfed it.

Also, Ultimus is a complete loving moron who doesn't play the game and Starsman is making of bullshit numbers.

Free Headcrab
Jan 3, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Slung Blade posted:

I'm yankin your chain man, relax.

Also come on, the problem isn't that there's nothing to do, it's that you're burned out on it for now. Just take a break for a couple months and come back, that always works for me.

Read some books, play other games, anything. Just don't force yourself to keep playing if you're not having fun right now.

The itch will return (it always does) no matter what kind of ointment you apply, believe me, I am thorough with that kind of thing.

I know, that's why I only play at most 2 months out of the year. I'm just saying I wish there was a reason to play more often, is all.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Free Headcrab posted:

I know, that's why I only play at most 2 months out of the year. I'm just saying I wish there was a reason to play more often, is all.

Don't you love me bro? ;_;

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!

Tommy 2.0 posted:

Ted, Arcana literally said in the thread that if no one had mentioned the -regen, and only she had Synapse would have nerfed it.

Also, Ultimus is a complete loving moron who doesn't play the game and Starsman is making of bullshit numbers.
Yeah, they've both gotten a bunch of flak for those comments, though.

Arcana seems to ignore it all and Ultimus is just acting like he's a successful troll.

Sometimes I love the forums. When powersets actually come out, I hate them. But it's pretty fun watching them roll out, regardless of the eventual outcome.

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

Here Zwill, since you didn't recognize it your homework is to do some reading. :colbert:

WeX Majors
Apr 16, 2006
Joined for the archives
So apparently, you guys loving killed the contest. Of course, I got stuck in d2 :( But I thought there were some decent attempts in there.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

drat I misread too. I doubt The 63rd Rule would win, but i wanted to be there.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

gently caress! I got out of work late and completely forgot about it until JUST THIS VERY SECOND

WeX Majors
Apr 16, 2006
Joined for the archives
They're literally picking the top3 right now, and they're pretty clearly "we had an idea for the last few weeks." since things like "Not Sure If" "NyanCat" and "XX Drinker" were represented like 5 times in each Pocket D, but every one of the top 10 were unique to themselves.

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'

WeX Majors posted:

They're literally picking the top3 right now, and they're pretty clearly "we had an idea for the last few weeks." since things like "Not Sure If" "NyanCat" and "XX Drinker" were represented like 5 times in each Pocket D, but every one of the top 10 were unique to themselves.

Actually... What Is A Man was one I picked after my character in the first contest today got no love. Also, there was more than one instance of Courage Wolf and the penguin.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

WeX Majors posted:

Likewise with LaserShark- I only heard about the contest literally 20 minutes before the first contest happened, so I decided to try again in round 2 with HeroYourHeroCouldBe... with better results then 'Easter Sunday' Zombie Jesus.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
I got in the top 10 with Chemistry Cat since Pancake Rabbit got no love this morning. My 2nd account was Y U NO PICK ME? which was not really that great but I had fun standing next to Tommy's anus ewok

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
That All Your Base idiot in D1 never loving stopped spamming. :psyduck:

I got a few player compliments on Supergroup Landlord, so I'm happy about that. There's no way that one would have topped Ada Loathelace in the VIP server contest they ran when it went live.

Bieeanshee fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jun 29, 2012

WeX Majors
Apr 16, 2006
Joined for the archives
How much is the LOTG Global Recharge enhancement typically go for? The max price right now is 100 mil on the AH, but if it's worth 200 or so if I hold out, I can wait.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

WeX Majors posted:

How much is the LOTG Global Recharge enhancement typically go for? The max price right now is 100 mil on the AH, but if it's worth 200 or so if I hold out, I can wait.

Last I played they ranged between 60 and 100 mil, they probably won't go much higher than 100.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
Welp, the knockdown IO does indeed work with Bonfire and Tornado. Time to make a Fire/Fire Dom. And Ice Control is now even more useless than before since Bonfire is now better than its main gimmick in every way.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jun 29, 2012

Bird Law
Nov 5, 2009

Hummingbirds are a legal tender.

OneEightHundred posted:

Welp, the knockdown IO does indeed work with Bonfire and Tornado. Time to make a Fire/Fire Dom. And Ice Control is now even more useless than before since Bonfire is now better than its main gimmick in every way.

That seals it, rolling a Water/Storm something, Defender or Corruptor?

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat
Well, haven't played this game since the City of Villains open beta/stress test, and things have changed a whole lot, apparently. And since DC Universe Online has next to no roleplaying presence and the combat is lackluster to the point of ineffectiveness in raids, let's give this now free to play game a shot and see if I should dump some money into features I (might) like.

Please correct me if I'm worng. If I understood the Paragon Reward program correctly, about every 15 dollars I spend in the NCsoft funstore will amount to a Paragon tier token, right? I suppose spending up to 30 dollars for Masterminds (Doctor Rhinoceros will live again!) and Bio-armor and something else might be worth it if a brute or tanker or scrapper is still fun. That, and honestly, Tier 1 is really limited, they really want you to start giving them money hand over fist or subscribe.

Also, did I misremember Brutes from the beta way back? I thought Spines were a primary combat option for them, but apparently, a Brute Spines/Bio-armor growing their own weapony will not be an option. Closest thing to that combo will be a Scrapper, but I never really played Hero-side before. What's the gameplay like? And is Bio-armor the first tanky power pool that does life leech and area of effect weakening effectively?

Dinictus fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jun 29, 2012

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Bird Law posted:

That seals it, rolling a Water/Storm something, Defender or Corruptor?

Defenders are 100% better than Corruptors. Defenders have a damage scalar of .65, Corruptors .75; however, Defenders get a 30% damage buff when soloing, which means they solo better. On teams, buffing is more important, and Defenders are much, much better at that.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.

Gynovore posted:

Defenders are 100% better than Corruptors. Defenders have a damage scalar of .65, Corruptors .75; however, Defenders get a 30% damage buff when soloing, which means they solo better. On teams, buffing is more important, and Defenders are much, much better at that.

On the other hand the game is easy enough as is, so you don't need to minmax your characters to be useful. Even if sperging over those numbers and stomping everything with defense capped, permahaste, etc characters is fun as hell. I'm sure Tommy will testify to that far more than I possibly can.

I prefer Corruptors myself, if only for the Scourge numbers :fh:

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Dinictus posted:

let's give this now free to play game a shot and see if I should dump some money into features I (might) like.

Please correct me if I'm worng. If I understood the Paragon Reward program correctly, about every 15 dollars I spend in the NCsoft funstore will amount to a Paragon tier token, right?

This is just my personal opinion, but I don't recommend dicking around with 'freemium'. Hop in and play for free for a week or two; if you like it, go VIP. You get an assload of benefits, plus a token and some happy fun points every month.

Dinictus posted:

I suppose spending up to 30 dollars for Masterminds (Doctor Rhinoceros will live again!) and Bio-armor and something else might be worth it if a brute or tanker or scrapper is still fun. That, and honestly, Tier 1 is really limited, they really want you to start giving them money hand over fist or subscribe.
Also, did I misremember Brutes from the beta way back? I thought Spines were a primary combat option for them, but apparently, a Brute Spines/Bio-armor growing their own weapony will not be an option. Closest thing to that combo will be a Scrapper, but I never really played Hero-side before. What's the gameplay like? And is Bio-armor the first tanky power pool that does life leech and area of effect weakening effectively?

Bio Armor isn't out yet, it's still on Beta being nerfed to death. As for Masterminds, they are fun to play, and poo poo out a shitstorm of damage, but I wouldn't recommend one for a new player. Go with a Blaster, Brute or Scrapper, they're fun and easy to play.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Dinictus posted:

Please correct me if I'm worng. If I understood the Paragon Reward program correctly, about every 15 dollars I spend in the NCsoft funstore will amount to a Paragon tier token, right? I suppose spending up to 30 dollars for Masterminds (Doctor Rhinoceros will live again!) and Bio-armor and something else might be worth it if a brute or tanker or scrapper is still fun. That, and honestly, Tier 1 is really limited, they really want you to start giving them money hand over fist or subscribe.

If you're buying points, it's every cumulative 1200 points you get that ends up giving you a token. That usually equals out to be about $15, but buying more at a time gives extra points, and those count towards the cumulative total. Subscribing also gives you a token per month, and 400 points per month as well.

quote:

Also, did I misremember Brutes from the beta way back? I thought Spines were a primary combat option for them, but apparently, a Brute Spines/Bio-armor growing their own weapony will not be an option. Closest thing to that combo will be a Scrapper, but I never really played Hero-side before. What's the gameplay like?

Spines haven't been on Brutes ever afaik, the only powersets they ever lost were Ice Melee and Ice Armor (at the time it screwed with Fury generation). They might have it proliferated to them in issue 24, though.

Any archetype can play red or blue now, so it doesn't matter. There's a neutral tutorial, and by the end of it you pick which side you want to start on. Bio Armor is still in beta though, and probably won't be out for a while. They have an internal release schedule for everything, so a lot of things that see testing won't come out for months. Water Blast is supposedly sometime in July, though.

quote:

And is Bio-armor the first tanky power pool that does life leech and area of effect weakening effectively?

Kind of. Dark is a bit of life drain and tohit debuffs with some control aspects, but Bio looks to have more meaningful debuffs to it and be more offensively oriented.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

Gynovore posted:

Bio Armor isn't out yet, it's still on Beta being nerfed to death.

Synapse has scaled back on a lot of the nerfing, and honestly, I'm stupidly excited for the set to go live.

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!

Bakalakadaka posted:

Last I played they ranged between 60 and 100 mil, they probably won't go much higher than 100.
Yeah, if you REALLY want to save money, buying recipes and salvage is almost always much cheaper.

You can even buy in bulk, and sell some extra made IOs to actually make your cash back. Buying them this way takes quite a bit more time, though.

Alternatively: Reward Merits aren't a bad way to go if you're new. You can either find whatever gives you the best return, or get what you need.* Merits become quite a bit easier to get at 50, and not a terrible way to earn inf if you can't farm.

*But you'd still better check the market first, always buy what's cheap for inf. it's easy enough to get!

Tom Powers fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 29, 2012

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Gynovore posted:

It really depends on the sets you're using. Also the +30% damage buff is base damage which winds up being about the same as the scalar difference overall, but you still lose Scourge.

Storm doesn't differ much at all between them (5% -res on Freezing Rain, 1.75% +def on Steamy Mist, 10% damage on Lightning Storm, no difference at all on Tornado). If you want damage, go Ice/Storm or Fire/Storm Corruptor, if you want your team to kill poo poo faster, go Storm/Sonic Defender. The latter is probably better because Storm sucks down a ton of endurance.

Also the real answer is Controller because Earth/Storm and Plant/Storm were hilarious before this and now Tornado+Water Spout is legit.

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!
Some sad notes: It's a universal damage set, so I'm not sure if it can be slotted into KB powers that don't do damage and they're unique.

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'
That is pretty unfortunate. Things like Hand Clap or Repel would really benefit from swapping KB for KD, and by benefit I mean worth taking ever.

quote:

Also the real answer is Controller because Earth/Storm and Plant/Storm were hilarious before this and now Tornado+Water Spout is legit.

Isn't the set unique, though? I don't think you can put it in both powers. Could be wrong, of course.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Nova must look loving crazy with that IO in it.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

LaserShark posted:

Isn't the set unique, though? I don't think you can put it in both powers. Could be wrong, of course.
Water Spout is a knockup, not knockback.

e: I can't find any other good use for this thing really. PBs can't slot it into LD/SF at the same time. M30 Grenade and Explosive Arrow do terrible damage. Crane Kick isn't good enough to salvage Martial Arts. Telekinetic Blast owns but Psi still needs the snipe change to be good.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jun 29, 2012

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!
It would be awesome if you could put the proc in any power and it WASN'T unique, like the other pieces of the set.

That way you could put it in as many KB powers as you like, and even go for two 4 part bonuses.

Oh a man can dream.

Also, even though the feedback from the proposed changes was so universally bad except from the people who don't matter that the set was getting proposed BUFFS even though Posi wanted us to go ahead and test it with the lower values, Bio went ahead and was updated with the first round of changes only.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Tom Powers posted:

Also, even though the feedback from the proposed changes was so universally bad except from the people who don't matter that the set was getting proposed BUFFS even though Posi wanted us to go ahead and test it with the lower values, Bio went ahead and was updated with the first round of changes only.

If things are going as per normal, the first round of changes are on Beta because they had already been commited before Synapse shared them. A patch or two from now should have the big buffs he posted about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

Idiot AYB spammer self-identified:

Snow Globe posted:

For those that were curious: The meme name I got was "All Your Base", without any tricks at all. :)

Thanks for taking the time to show off my whole skit with the drones.

Showing the skit off for the camera is fine. Showing it off EVERY TEN SECONDS FOR THE ENTIRE NIGHT, on the other hand...

• Locked thread