Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
korgy
Sep 16, 2006

Last night went okay for not playing in a long time. I wasn't able to contribute much but the level of competition was high. I was one of two white guys there and most of them were former high school and juco players. It was nice to see that I still have a good jumpshot but I was having a tough time staying in front of my man. I'll be using the tips posted earlier to help. Can't wait till Thursday to play again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Anyone have good tips for dribbling drills, especially with your off hand? I'm left handed, which gives me a bit of an advantage but when I try to cross over or switch hands at all half the time I lose the ball on an unforced turnover.

Yaphet
Dec 30, 2006

This guy has a great channel with tons of drills/videos on everything basketball related.

What I do is just consciously try to dribble with my weak hand when I practice. You have to force yourself to do it otherwise you'll use your left hand almost exclusively without even noticing.

atlas of bugs
Aug 19, 2003

BOOTSTRAPPING
MILLIONAIRE
ONE-PERCENTER
6'7" IS KOBE HEIGHT ALL I DO IS WIN

*chains together crossovers, bricks a 3*

(this is me irl and it rules)

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

atlas of bugs posted:

Actually, that's Metta World Peace's height.

lmao zebong
Nov 25, 2006

NBA All-Injury First Team

rscott posted:

Anyone have good tips for dribbling drills, especially with your off hand? I'm left handed, which gives me a bit of an advantage but when I try to cross over or switch hands at all half the time I lose the ball on an unforced turnover.

The drill that helped me the most with my off-hand dribbling and ball handing in general is to dribble with a tennis ball. I would practice dribbling standing, moving and crossing over with the tennis ball and my handles went up a lot and I am pretty comfortable dribbling with both hands now.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

atlas of bugs posted:

Are we twins?

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

I'll hold my right hand behind my back to work on my left hand skills. Sometimes I'll set arbitrary rules, like every shot I take right handed has to be matched with one taken left-handed.

dudemanbudguy
Jan 2, 2008
guybudmandude

lmao zebong posted:

The drill that helped me the most with my off-hand dribbling and ball handing in general is to dribble with a tennis ball. I would practice dribbling standing, moving and crossing over with the tennis ball and my handles went up a lot and I am pretty comfortable dribbling with both hands now.

drat, this is a great idea. I've been playing basketball a majority of my life and I still lose the ball so much from just catching it awkwardly after a cross over or dribbling through traffic. I'm sure a tennis ball would help me tighten up my dribbling a lot. Thanks.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I am constantly practicing my handling whenever I can. People take jumpers and stuff for the shoot around before a game starts, but I'm always dribbling. When my team loses and I'm off the court for a bit, I just constantly dribble and practice crossovers. It works great, I never thought I'd be this coordinated, there's just one problem.

I can't for the life of me pull any of this off in game. My dribble disappears and it feels like the shittiest kids on the court will always shut me down or poke the ball away. I can't tell if I'm over doing it on the dribble or I just have zero game sense or both. I watched a bunch of videos that Steve Nash did about keeping your eyes up and your off hand out to protect the ball but I just totally cannot do it if there's someone on me. What's a good tip for translating the practice into a game situation if you like to play a penetrating PG role?

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
It's probably because there's no urgency when you're dribbling on your own.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

elbow him or her in the sternum

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
I got more comfortable dribbling in pickup games by starting out doing it while at the top of the key with plenty of space between me and my defender.

You might feel dumb acting like Jamal Crawford up there, but I don't think anyone is gonna mind if you spend 5 seconds like that before driving or passing it.

dudemanbudguy
Jan 2, 2008
guybudmandude

Doltos posted:

I am constantly practicing my handling whenever I can. People take jumpers and stuff for the shoot around before a game starts, but I'm always dribbling. When my team loses and I'm off the court for a bit, I just constantly dribble and practice crossovers. It works great, I never thought I'd be this coordinated, there's just one problem.

I can't for the life of me pull any of this off in game. My dribble disappears and it feels like the shittiest kids on the court will always shut me down or poke the ball away. I can't tell if I'm over doing it on the dribble or I just have zero game sense or both. I watched a bunch of videos that Steve Nash did about keeping your eyes up and your off hand out to protect the ball but I just totally cannot do it if there's someone on me. What's a good tip for translating the practice into a game situation if you like to play a penetrating PG role?

Sounds like you don't protect the ball correctly. Use your body to shield the ball and dribble as low as you can. I also found adding a spin dribble helps a lot to get away from tougher defense so look up some videos for drills on that. Look up, but if you aren't that confident in your dribbling don't worry so much about it right now. In my experience most people don't look up when they dribble in pick up games. No one will give you a hard time about that unless you are the one dribbling on a fast break.

Are people playing you close or are you just having trouble dribbling against people even when they give you space? Learn how to play against aggressive defense with triple threat positioning. That Dre all day guy posted earlier has a video about it and you can practice it while just watching TV.

atlas of bugs
Aug 19, 2003

BOOTSTRAPPING
MILLIONAIRE
ONE-PERCENTER

bro i was all-county 2 on my high school prep team (with two seven-footers)

how dare you ask me to rebound

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

dudemanbudguy posted:

Are people playing you close or are you just having trouble dribbling against people even when they give you space? Learn how to play against aggressive defense with triple threat positioning. That Dre all day guy posted earlier has a video about it and you can practice it while just watching TV.

People get right up on me, a lot of the time at half court so I have to pass it. I have one move that works great against it where I literally turn my back to the guy and wait to see which way he goes for the steal and blow past him the other way, but that only works so many times before everyone figures it out. I think I do need to practice the triple threat tho I don't think anyone respects my jumper or 3.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006
That thing about sticking your arm out is more of a measuring distance thing, don't actually push people off with it, by the way. And don't do crossovers if you don't have anything to do after you pull one off.

Hand of the King
May 11, 2012
Why don't you just let someone who's a better ball handler bring up the ball? Turning your back and waiting for the guy to gamble on a steal is basically asking for the ball to be picked off by another guy coming in from your blind spot.

dudemanbudguy
Jan 2, 2008
guybudmandude

Hand of the King posted:

Why don't you just let someone who's a better ball handler bring up the ball? Turning your back and waiting for the guy to gamble on a steal is basically asking for the ball to be picked off by another guy coming in from your blind spot.

yeah, they will start to pressure you and trap you. work on your dribbling when the ball gets passed to you or until you are confident. or have a friend play 1v1 with you to practice. practicing it with friends is probably your best bet.

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008
So after panicking on jumpshots, bricking the poo poo out of them any other time, I've finally decided to not be a little bitch and play in the post. Makes sense, considering im 6'3 215 but im kind of a little bitch when it comes to offence for the most part. I was killing people in there. Sure I had a few ill advised shots that were blocked so hard I wanted to cry, but for the most part I felt comfortable. And I actually got the ball.

It was a very fun day I must say.

Hand of the King
May 11, 2012
I just played a few games of 3 on 3 where this guy was so good that he didn't even need to drive in, he just rained 3s all day err day. It was so disgusting.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Inudeku posted:

So after panicking on jumpshots, bricking the poo poo out of them any other time, I've finally decided to not be a little bitch and play in the post. Makes sense, considering im 6'3 215 but im kind of a little bitch when it comes to offence for the most part. I was killing people in there. Sure I had a few ill advised shots that were blocked so hard I wanted to cry, but for the most part I felt comfortable. And I actually got the ball.

It was a very fun day I must say.

Once you get good footwork and some post moves down, its incredibly fun to Olajuwon all over someones face. If you like the post, add every move to your repertoire and dominate with one thing before moving on. With just a really good baby hook, drop step, and semi fadeaway youll be killing it in no time.

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

Help me. I'm nearly 6'6" and pitiful. Teach me a post game. Where could I take lessons or learn basketball in West LA?

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Watch Olajuwon tapes.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

Its Miller Time posted:

Help me. I'm nearly 6'6" and pitiful. Teach me a post game. Where could I take lessons or learn basketball in West LA?

Just do like this guy

atlas of bugs posted:

I don't think being kinda tall means you should go and play in the post.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
If you're taller than everyone else and you suck at basketball playing in the post is one of the ways you can still be useful!

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

jimcunningham posted:

Watch Olajuwon tapes.

This isn't a bad idea. Growing I was bigger than the other kids, but not that fast. Barkley was my favorite player, and I basically picked up a complex post game by obsessively watching him and Olajuwon in the 90s. I topped out at 5'11, but still spend a lot of time in the post as a little guy since it's how I grew up playing, and the post game I learned basically entirely from mimicking Hakeem spins and Barkley face up moves and physicality surprises the poo poo out of guys guarding me who're usually much bigger.

So yeah, it sounds silly, but get on Youtube and watch a shitload of Olajuwon videos, break them down, visualize them, and mimick them in games until you can use them consistently. With your size, you'll dominate pickup games, even if you aren't that fast or your handle is bad.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
I believe "watch Dream tape" was suggested in jest. That was you growing up though as opposed to a grown man at 6'7 who doesn't play; he might tip over trying to do a dream shake. I'd aim lower for starters. Work on putting the ball in the hole from the paint, throw in a dropstep or 2 and watch some entry level post game vids.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

cisneros posted:

I don't think being kinda tall means you should go and play in the post.

I mean, it also depends on your horizontal size. I'm 6'7" but I've always been skinny. I often end up being guarded by guys who are shorter than me, but much stronger, and they can push me around. Sure, I can still get a decent shot just because of my height, but in that situation it's easier to run around and get open for a mid-range shot. You have to play to your strengths.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Yeah, if you want to pick up some post moves watch Olajuwon tape. Also, to get better at passing watch Magic Johnson tape and to get better at layups watch the Dr. J baseline move over and over.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Hand of the King posted:

Because I want to be a ball handler and the only way I'll get better is game situations. I don't hog it though, I'll give it up to better guys but I'll try to get a couple possessions in a game. Plus most of my offense comes from slashing in transition while everyone is too lazy to get back on D.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
90% of post play is getting in the right position.

I would focus on getting good low post position and if you want to work on more advanced stuff youtube how to use screens to get good position if you find yourself getting pushed out of the low block.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Boosh! posted:

I believe "watch Dream tape" was suggested in jest. That was you growing up though as opposed to a grown man at 6'7 who doesn't play; he might tip over trying to do a dream shake. I'd aim lower for starters. Work on putting the ball in the hole from the paint, throw in a dropstep or 2 and watch some entry level post game vids.

Oh, well yeah. I was mostly just responding to the Olajuwon thing, because it does sound absurd (watch Magic pass) but it isn't a bad reference point. Starting from nothing he just needs to work on like, dribbling, and releasing it so it goes in the basket, and also coming to terms with the knowledge that he is going to be real bad and having to be productive in thankless ways for a long while.

I actually think "watch a lot of basketball" in general is an underrated part of learning to play on the most basic level of pickup. There's a big gap from working on your fundamentals alone to applying them in a game, and knowing the ways you can contribute without the ball while you adapt to the competition significantly eases the pain of feeling like a stiff.

Plus guys'll pick you more, and you get more chances and leeway to try things that might otherwise leave you watching from the bench.

Learn little stuff like boxing out, getting good position, using passing lanes, setting screens, and just knowing your role and where to stand. Then you work on the scoring and using your size in other ways that require more repetition

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

Boosh! posted:

I'd aim lower for starters. Work on putting the ball in the hole from the paint, throw in a dropstep or 2 and watch some entry level post game vids.

Back when I had a post game that wasn't a total liability it was because of simply being able to do that and having a couple of friends to practice with who knew roughly what they were doing.

One guy makes an entry pass, one guy is on offence, one on defence. Then after you've tried like 20 shots on either side, everyone rotates. We started with token defence (Ie: simply just standing there with arms up) and just trying to get certain moves (By moves I mean a drop step on either block going either to the baseline or going to the middle, nothing really that fancy) down. When we got comfortable with that we added slightly more aggressive defence to it. Then when we were ok with that, we turned it into a game, and the person that would end up with the most made buckets would win (After everyone has had a turn against either defender). It may sound dull, but it can get pretty fun once you've gotten it down.

Also, these videos seem like a decent primer for basics (other links at the end of the video).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mA7TvmTZfH4

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006
Yeah, NBA All-Star bigmen don't have a post game, so why should you? just master a move and that should get you through most things. I'm not tall, but I have long arms and have to wander into the paint sometimes because no one else does, and just being able to score with both hands is enough to baffle most defenders, that one drill where you stand under the basket and just lay it up with both hands should help with that.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Do the Mikan drill.

This is actually my advice to everyone, but especially big men. Mikan Mikan Mikan. Then practice face-ups and drop steps and congratulations, you'll have a pickup-caliber post game. After that you can maybe throw in an up-and-under move.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
What about for jump shooting, anything beyond taking a shitload of jump shots? I'm giving up on ever being effective down low, since I'd need a full fledged Barkley style game to score over my friends who are all 6+ inches taller than me.

I don't even care about learning how to dribble, I just want to run around like Rip Hamilton and shoot midrange jumpers effectively :unsmith:

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah I was just saying that if you watch tapes you become good automatically. Or just do a body switch spell with someone.

ButtWolf fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jun 29, 2012

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

mastershakeman posted:

What about for jump shooting, anything beyond taking a shitload of jump shots?

Since this is about the entirety of my game at this point in my life: you're going to need to take a shitload of jump shots. However, the important thing is to take that shitload of jump shots with consistent form every time. Once you can repeat your form out of muscle memory every time, your shooting percentage will go way up, as you'll have more consistent control of the ball rather than having it fly all over the place (which is why you can often tell the good shooters by what happens on the shots they miss as much as the ones they make).

After you feel confident about being able to knock down a shot in practice pretty consistently, you'll want to practice getting that same form in game situations. On your own, try taking one quick dribble and immediately coming up out of it and shooting with the same form you would if you were wide open - if you can shoot off a dribble, you're much more dangerous. If you have more people to practice with, practicing shooting immediately off of a pass (especially in a situation where you're in transition and were running down the court) will once again pay dividends in games, since you'll feel comfortable catching and quickly releasing a shot.

So, yeah, basically a shitload of shots in a few different situations. The more consistent your form, the better you'll be. Other people might have specific drills that can help, but I can't remember if I did any in particular for mid-range/long-range shooting when I was a kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Good to know. Anything specific to do in regards to jumping on the shot? Some of my friends tell me not to jump when I'm open, but it seems like I'd be more consistent if I just always jumped as high as I could every single time.

• Locked thread