Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Furret Basket posted:

Oh wow, I never expected Jeff Vogel to get his games on GOG.com. That's amazing! That man has been making some serious strides in distribution in the past couple of years for sure and he definitely deserves it. I don't think there's a single independant developer who puts as much work in with the same determination for as long as he has done.

I'm really hoping his income has been going up massively due to all the new digital distribution deals and the cheaper pricing on his games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
I hope that his success has made some of the other holdouts from the shareware era realize that they could be making a poo poo load more money and therefore more games if they join everyone here in the modern era. I'd love more Escape Velocity games.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
It's doubtful that Exile/Avernum 1 through 3 will ever make it to any online distibution service, because there's plans to re-remake them all (Avernum 1's remake is already on Steam).

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Al! posted:

I hope that his success has made some of the other holdouts from the shareware era realize that they could be making a poo poo load more money and therefore more games if they join everyone here in the modern era. I'd love more Escape Velocity games.

Steam would be a great fit for Ambrosia since they're a mac-centric company but have expanded to times into making Windows versions of their stuff, like Escape Velocity Nova.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

BiggerJ posted:

It's doubtful that Exile/Avernum 1 through 3 will ever make it to any online distibution service, because there's plans to re-remake them all (Avernum 1's remake is already on Steam).
Well, in a blog post he claims the only reason he didn't put those games on Steam is because they don't run properly on a lot of modern systems and they have rules involving that, so it's possible they might get a GoG release if that can be rectified.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I'm really hoping his income has been going up massively due to all the new digital distribution deals and the cheaper pricing on his games.

I've been following his blog and it definitely sounds like the iPad versions of his games in particular have been selling like hotcakes. Hopefully this means better production values on future games: we'll see.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

kuddles posted:

Well, in a blog post he claims the only reason he didn't put those games on Steam is because they don't run properly on a lot of modern systems and they have rules involving that, so it's possible they might get a GoG release if that can be rectified.

Oh, yeah, if it's jsut that then there's hope. GOG.com is one of the only online distribution services (perhaps THE only one) to offer system compatibility modification as a service instead of leaving up to the publishers (who often don't bother).

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
So, I take it that the Geneforge package on GoG is worth a purchase if you are into RPG's?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Sylphosaurus posted:

So, I take it that the Geneforge package on GoG is worth a purchase if you are into RPG's?

Absolutely. They're not quite as tightly designed as the Avernum series, but they offer a good range of playstyles, and each game has multiple paths to completion.

The first few games are pretty aged in terms of UI, but not like Ultima 5-6 aged. Just 'early 2000s' indie aged.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Furret Basket posted:

Oh wow, I never expected Jeff Vogel to get his games on GOG.com. That's amazing! That man has been making some serious strides in distribution in the past couple of years for sure and he definitely deserves it. I don't think there's a single independant developer who puts as much work in with the same determination for as long as he has done.

I think people come down to hard on the guy. Yes he had a hard line attitude about distribution and pricing. He drew focus to himself because he bothered to explain himself when others were just saying "gently caress you, this is the price". I think his old hard line attitude should pay him credit in light of his recent change of heart, not discredit.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
I don't think anyone was trying to discredit him really, but yeah, dude was trying to make money in an incredibly thin market. People wouldn't drop the money he needed for the audience he could reach. Steam reaches more people by default, so he has a larger market at a reduced price and digital distribution seems to be lowering the piracy levels, meaning he can finally make money now.

I don't know why anyone would be mad at him.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Because it seems the average person online is really loving stupid and loves shooting his/her mouth off relatively anonymously.

Oh sorry, that was a rhetorical question ;)

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

After a bit of fiddling I got WC4 running. The production values for this game must've been realy high! I think I can begin to understand why some people were dissapointed with Prophecy.

On the other hand, whoever said "the one who gets a missile hit in first wins" was, uh, right. :stare: Kinda weird how they made missiles one-hit-kills 90% of the time since you can't always avoid them.

Also, Lords of the Realm and Stronghold Crusader are currently on sale. So far no really interesting games, to me, have shown up in this summer sale.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

After a bit of fiddling I got WC4 running. The production values for this game must've been realy high! I think I can begin to understand why some people were dissapointed with Prophecy.

On the other hand, whoever said "the one who gets a missile hit in first wins" was, uh, right. :stare: Kinda weird how they made missiles one-hit-kills 90% of the time since you can't always avoid them.

Also, Lords of the Realm and Stronghold Crusader are currently on sale. So far no really interesting games, to me, have shown up in this summer sale.

It wouldn't be so bad if it didn't take half an hour to kill something with guns.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

When it was produced, it was the most expensive video game ever created with a budget of roughly $15 million.

For perspective, GTA4 cost over $100 million and Star Wars Old Republic reportedly cost over $200 million.

So in today's business that's chump change.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

Yeah so far all the games they've put on sale have been ones I'm either not interested in or already own.

Oh, the next games are The Whispered World and Trine, by the way.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Alchenar posted:

It wouldn't be so bad if it didn't take half an hour to kill something with guns.

Yeah, right now ramming enemies is a viable tactic since it A kills them immediately and B you're more likely to survive that than dogfighting said enemy.

macnbc posted:

When it was produced, it was the most expensive video game ever created with a budget of roughly $15 million.

For perspective, GTA4 cost over $100 million and Star Wars Old Republic reportedly cost over $200 million.

So in today's business that's chump change.

Huh. I wish more games would do that kind of intro with credits for the lead devs and actors. Deus Ex and GTA are the only recent games I can think of that did this.

beef express
Sep 7, 2005

The highest technique is to have no technique.

Al! posted:

Someone should tell these guys :(

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

SpruceZeus posted:

Yeah so far all the games they've put on sale have been ones I'm either not interested in or already own.

Oh, the next games are The Whispered World and Trine, by the way.

I must assume that Trine is losing by so much because everyone in the world owns it already.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

elf help book posted:

I must assume that Trine is losing by so much because everyone in the world owns it already.

Everyone and their brother probably own two copies of it by now thanks to the humble bundle and/or it going on sale for $2 that one time on Steam.

Also I think some people are just voting for the other game since it is $15 on gog while the Trine is just $10.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

havenwaters posted:

Everyone and their brother probably own two copies of it by now thanks to the humble bundle and/or it going on sale for $2 that one time on Steam.

Also I think some people are just voting for the other game since it is $15 on gog while the Trine is just $10.

When I've had no opinion through this, I've actually been voting for the cheaper one, so hopefully someone gets a cool game they wanted for $2.39.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

It looks like DotEmu is having a sale-a-day thing themselves, with Jagged Alliance 2 going for three bucks, plus other games in the series going for cheaper.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Man I forgot about DotEmu. Wonder when they started their sale.

Now you have me hoping for particular sales. If they did any for Hardwar, the Silverfall games, or the compilation packs (Irem or Silmarils), that would be baller.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

elf help book posted:

When I've had no opinion through this, I've actually been voting for the cheaper one, so hopefully someone gets a cool game they wanted for $2.39.

When there's nothing I want I've just been voting on the losing one. You can do it Trine

Raging Mule
Jan 17, 2007
I'm catching up on Wing Commander 1 & 2 from the sale a few months ago. I had fun playing WC1 again. The combat was fun, but the storyline was weak as I remembered.

Now that I'm on to WC2, it seems like the opposite. The story is better, but the combat seems...off. Your wingmen seem more futile that normal; Hobbes and Shadow seem to be heading back to base within a minute of engaging. The animation is smoother, but it seems to works against you to kill quickly enough to save your wingmen easily.

I remember having fun with WC 1-3 back in the day... Am I missing something or is it just rose-colored glasses?

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe
I think it's hilarious Two Worlds is currently beating The Witcher. Everyone go vote for Two Worlds right now.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Bo-Pepper posted:

I think it's hilarious Two Worlds is currently beating The Witcher. Everyone go vote for Two Worlds right now.

Done and done.

Kinda curious about Two Worlds. Is it any good?

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I voted for Two Worlds because I already have The Witcher (twice!). I assumed everyone else was doing the same.

Also I really want to play Two Worlds.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I think Two Worlds is supposed to be like Manos: The Hands of Fate but for video games.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I think Two Worlds is supposed to be like Manos: The Hands of Fate but for video games.

Do we get a young Joel Hodgson and two snarky robots?

jvempire
May 10, 2009

havenwaters posted:

Do we get a young Joel Hodgson and two snarky robots?
No you get YTP instead.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbSXRABCRuo

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Wow. I...wow what the hell.

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe
Two Worlds is an odd duck. It's not exactly a good game. But it's strangely compelling and fun. Also there is no other game where you can buff your weapons by taping two (or fifty) together!

You won't consider your time wasted, but I doubt you'll ever finish it.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
I love Two Worlds but if you were to ask me why I would be stumped for an answer.

Also the game has no ending, literally. Once you kill the boss it just kicks you to the main menu. I actually re-loaded and killed the boss a second time because I thought I had accidentally skipped the end, but nope, nothing. Not even a credit screen.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Red Mundus posted:

I love Two Worlds but if you were to ask me why I would be stumped for an answer.

Also the game has no ending, literally. Once you kill the boss it just kicks you to the main menu. I actually re-loaded and killed the boss a second time because I thought I had accidentally skipped the end, but nope, nothing. Not even a credit screen.

That might be a bug on your end. I remember there being some crappy cinematics when I finished the game, for both endings.

Gehenomm
May 1, 2008

Ask me about hitting on mathematicians.
Two Worlds: Raid Grom camps, take their "club of broken knees" sticks that they use, tape a bunch of them togheter and then spend the rest of the game one-shotting everything in sight.

Even dragons.

One of my favorite games, i can't get enough of that taint.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
There's a message today regarding the GOG Downloader:

IMPORTANT NOTICE FOR GOG.COM DOWNLOADER USERS:
Unfortunately the current version of GOG.com Downloader introduced a bug to the auto update system that will cause the application to freeze once an update arrives. There is an updated version of the downloader available. Please download the new installer at: http://static.gog.com/download/d3/stable/Setup_Downloader_3.0.51b.exe, launch it, and it will update your current version. This will ensure that you downloader will work properly once an automated update arrives. If you will have any more questions please contact support. We're sorry for the inconvenience.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Today's deal on DotEmu is 70% off Rebellion games.

Includes the Empire Earth and Ground Control games.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

iastudent posted:

Today's deal on DotEmu is 70% off Rebellion games.

Includes the Empire Earth and Ground Control games.

Evil Genius and Lords of Magic! How is DotEmu as a DD service? This would be my first purchase from them, if ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

The Doomhammer posted:

That might be a bug on your end. I remember there being some crappy cinematics when I finished the game, for both endings.

Wait, there's two endings? AND an actual ending?

Well, I may just need to re-install now.

*edit* Wait, are you talking about the enhanced version they released? I just remember that I originally played the non-enhanced version as I bought it day 1.