Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

We're generally very down on off-brand Chinese tablets here. As bad as customer service is at a company like ASUS, it's even worse for something like this. The RK3066 chip isn't really much of a step above the Tegra 2. And all the hacking you have to do to get it set up for the Play store and Google apps, most of us don't want to deal with all that hassle.

The TF300T is $349 at Best Buy. Save yourself a bunch of hassle. Pay the extra $70 for the extra performance and screen quality. Pay the extra $70 for being able to log into the Play store and download apps, watch Netflix movies, do everything you should be able to do with a tablet right out of the box without hacking it. Pay the extra $70 for being able to walk into a Best Buy and return it if you have any issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
If you absolutely need a cheap 10" tablet, look for a refurb Xoom. They've got ICS, Jelly Bean soon, and they're perfectly functional. I've had a wifi one for a while, and haven't had any issues at all. Tethering to my phone via Bluetooth solved the connectivity problem, but 90% of the time I'm on my home wifi anyway.

Captain Cancer
Sep 18, 2005

Teach em' young
Cheers. The customer service and support is something I'd not considered. Looks like you're pretty much relying on third party ROM developers to make the Chinese tabs actually usable... which is a shame. I'd rather not have to resort to applying dozens of little hacks and fixes, so yeah, I'll take a look at something a little better supported.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.
Is there a good way to move MP3s from iTunes to a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2? I've tried syncing with Notpod and it looks like ICS 4.0 puts a roadblock in place. Has anyone successfully done this? Moving outside of iTunes isn't an option as this is for someone else and they are incredibly poo poo with anything electronic.

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your GPS
I'd be a heavenly person today
You can put all your iTunes into Google's cloud then pull them down to your Galaxy Tab.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Yeah download the Google Music client to your pc and sync your mp3 folder. the initial upload takes forever but it's well worth it

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.
The latest version of music manager even has a helpful import of everything from iTunes automatically, and can monitor your iTunes library to automatically upload anything you add to it.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Octopode posted:

The latest version of music manager even has a helpful import of everything from iTunes automatically, and can monitor your iTunes library to automatically upload anything you add to it.

Latest? I'm 99.9% sure that feature's been there for over a year now. Then again, being a Google project, that could very well BE the latest...

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Rastor posted:

The TF300T is $349 at Best Buy. Save yourself a bunch of hassle. Pay the extra $70 for the extra performance and screen quality. Pay the extra $70 for being able to log into the Play store and download apps, watch Netflix movies, do everything you should be able to do with a tablet right out of the box without hacking it. Pay the extra $70 for being able to walk into a Best Buy and return it if you have any issues.

I just picked up the 32gb version of this tonight at the Best Buy to try out. I'm not even sure if I want a tablet or not and told the guy as much. You can return it anytime within 30 days so it is no big deal.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Ribsauce posted:

I just picked up the 32gb version of this tonight at the Best Buy to try out. I'm not even sure if I want a tablet or not and told the guy as much. You can return it anytime within 30 days so it is no big deal.

For what it's worth, I returned mine to best buy after a couple of weeks, when google announced the Nexus 7. While ICS is vastly better than HC, it was still rough around the edges in places. But yeah, Best Buy's return policy is awesome so it's basically a no risk trial.

Chocolate
Jun 27, 2011
Am I stupid to think that if I buy a nexus 7 it can replace my laptop. I have a pretty decent laptop right now (HP DV6). It can run BF3 and everything and I really like it but I don't really need something this nice. I don't use it enough to warrant its price. I was thinking about selling my laptop and picking up the nexus for school. All I do is just mess around on the internet, listen to podcasts, and some word processing. I was also going to get a keyboard dock with it for when I need to write a paper or something. Is 7 inches going to be small for this? Any other problems I might run into? Also if I buy a mini usb to usb adapter can I download files to a flash drive? Also how would it hold up as an e-reader? If anyone was wondering the nexus 7 will work with a bluetooth keyboard and has mouse support.

DinosaurHouseParty
Oct 31, 2003

Chocolate posted:

Am I stupid to think that if I buy a nexus 7 it can replace my laptop. I have a pretty decent laptop right now (HP DV6). It can run BF3 and everything and I really like it but I don't really need something this nice. I don't use it enough to warrant its price. I was thinking about selling my laptop and picking up the nexus for school. All I do is just mess around on the internet, listen to podcasts, and some word processing. I was also going to get a keyboard dock with it for when I need to write a paper or something. Is 7 inches going to be small for this? Any other problems I might run into? Also if I buy a mini usb to usb adapter can I download files to a flash drive? Also how would it hold up as an e-reader? If anyone was wondering the nexus 7 will work with a bluetooth keyboard and has mouse support.
It sounds like you need your laptop more than you know. Just think about having to lug around a dock a mouse and squinting at the tiny font while trying to use a sub par office suite.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

If that is honestly all you use it for it should do you. Usb otg might need root apparently, we'll wait & see. I have an ancient 14" laptop, a 10" netbook, a 7" archos tablet & a 5" phone & I've ordered the nexus 7. My phone is coming to the end of its life, as is the big laptop & the archos has basically confirmed I like a 7" tablet. The netbook will take care of anything that needs a real pc.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Chocolate posted:

Am I stupid to think that if I buy a nexus 7 it can replace my laptop?

Yes.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Chocolate posted:

Is 7 inches going to be small for this? Any other problems I might run into? Also if I buy a mini usb to usb adapter can I download files to a flash drive? Also how would it hold up as an e-reader? If anyone was wondering the nexus 7 will work with a bluetooth keyboard and has mouse support.
7 inches is going to be small for that.

You are in school. It's good to have a laptop. Ask for a Nexus 7 on your next birthday / gift-giving holiday celebrated in your culture/religion.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.
Currently, I'm using a TF300 with keyboard for roughly the same purpose, as a mini-laptop for school so I don't have to lug my 17" MBP around when I ride my bike to classes.

For note-taking, e-mail, looking at powerpoint slides, etc. it works great, but I draw the line at writing anything serious like a paper or doing homework on it. From what I've found, even the best office suites available on Android right now still fall pretty short of the mark compared to what you're used to in a standard Microsoft Office type environment.

If you're going to do it, I would recommend using the tablet for day to day light use and entertainment, but keep the laptop for your real heavy lifting.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Just sold my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 for a slight loss because I planned on pre-ordering the ASUS Nexus. However, I need to spend the money on my car instead. Is this thing going to sellout real quick or will I be okay trying to find one a few weeks after it drops?

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.
A tablet can replace a laptop in a couple of specific scenarios, but that also depends on how you use your laptop. At home, I get by just fine, but upstairs I have a dual-screen desktop. At work it's fine for taking notes, but when it comes time to sit down and draft procedures or technical docs, I end up doing all this at the office where I have a dual-screen desktop. I also need to lug around my Toughbook because I have to log in to routers and fiber terminals and whatnot from time to time to do provisioning on them and that's not something I can do without a serial connection or cat-5 Ethernet.

This is assuming that you use your laptop in the most common way; hooked to the AC adaptor 24/7 with little actual mobile use. If you take your laptop with you quite a bit to write with or edit photos or do any real document creation, even the best tablet will make you want to tear your hair out.

As DinosaurHouseParty pointed out, they're no good for real work.

For content consumption, tablets are approriate. For content creation, nothing beats a dual-screen rig.

Dradien
Jun 24, 2005
Ask me about shrimp.
I've told myself ever since tablets became a "thing" that it is something I'll never need. My RAZR does everything (well, more or less) that this Nexus 7 will be able to do. Still pre-ordered it just because why not? It's a Nexus Device, so almost instant updates (and no Verizon Fuckery since it's a non-cellular device), and I'm hankering to try out the Tablet interface on a lot of my news/RSS programs I use.

I think it'll be awesome as a general Media Consumption/Reading device. I have no illusions that it'll ever replace my laptop (I hate typing on soft keyboards, I need the tactile feedback of physical buttons), but it's a nice companion device.

Sorry for the long rant anyway, just really excited for this. First things I'm doing for it are Bootloader, Root, and then installing Awful Betamax.

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Just sold my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 for a slight loss because I planned on pre-ordering the ASUS Nexus. However, I need to spend the money on my car instead. Is this thing going to sellout real quick or will I be okay trying to find one a few weeks after it drops?

That is a total toss-up I think. I ordered one last night and they gave me no indication of a delay. I imagine a lot of the people that really wanted one have already gone through and pre-ordered it.

That being said, Asus and Google have been planning this for quite a long time according to all of the rumors and leaks. They are using a common chipset so there is nothing bleeding edge to get held back (I'm looking at you A15).

I wouldn't worry too much.

Rumbaar
Nov 21, 2011
REJECTED FROM:
-GOONWAFFE? ☑
-GROON? ☑

IGNORE POSTS? ☑
I was looking at the Toshiba AT1SO 7-Inch Tablet [MicroSD, Micro HDMI, Back camera] as a current alternative to the Nexus 7. But I'm not sure if it will have an upgrade to Jelly Bean?

I've had a quick Google search, but can't come up with anything concrete. The lack of MicroSD in the Nexus 7 and lesser point HDMI makes it a lesser hardware alternative, but it does come with a much better processor and Jelly Bean.

Nexus 7 is around $324 AUD and the AT1SO I can get for around $378 AUD.

Rumbaar fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jul 2, 2012

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
I had no real interest in tablets and now I can't wait to buy a Nexus 7. Nicely done, Google.
One question, though: I've had an e-reader for a year or so (recently sold it) so I know how e-books work, but I'm not sure how it translates to tablets. What's the preferred format? ePub, PDF, something else?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

seravid posted:

I had no real interest in tablets and now I can't wait to buy a Nexus 7. Nicely done, Google.

I was the same way. Always thought tablets were kinda cool, but had no interesting in owning one. Then, I heard "Nexus" and "tablet" in the same sentence and it grabbed my attention. Then, they said, "$200" and, suddenly, I couldn't loving wait to get one. (even though I'll spring for the 16G).

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Rumbaar posted:

I was looking at the Toshiba AT1SO 7-Inch Tablet [MicroSD, Micro HDMI, Back camera] as a current alternative to the Nexus 7. But I'm not sure if it will have an upgrade to Jelly Bean?
There's no way to know other than manufacturer track record. Toshiba's track record is pretty bad.

If you want updates, get a Nexus.

seravid posted:

One question, though: I've had an e-reader for a year or so (recently sold it) so I know how e-books work, but I'm not sure how it translates to tablets. What's the preferred format? ePub, PDF, something else?
There are a variety of apps available, so whatever's convenient for you. Personally I like the Nook app, for which the preferred format is ePub.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Dumb question, are android tablets now powerful enough to stream the same video files that my xbmc setup can? I sorta remember that was a problem with the earlier tablets.

Rumbaar
Nov 21, 2011
REJECTED FROM:
-GOONWAFFE? ☑
-GROON? ☑

IGNORE POSTS? ☑

Rastor posted:

There's no way to know other than manufacturer track record. Toshiba's track record is pretty bad.
Ah , yeah. It's not running ICS, so that's a no-go. I guess I wait a few days and get the Nexus 7 :)

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
I've been thinking of buying a nexus too. Never had a tablet, how does surfing around on one compare to surfing on a largeish phone? (like the Gal. Nexus)

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I love the larger screen on the Xoom for web browsing compared to my GNex, but where it really shines is ebooks and such. I read a lot of feeds on google reader, as well as a couple newspapers on the Kindle app. Also using Firefox on Android is nicer on the bigger screen, and syncs bookmarks and tabs with my laptop and desktop.

I understand why people are excited about the Nexus 7" tablet, because I can see it being a more convenient size. I got the 32GB refurb Xoom for the price of an 8GB Nexus, and differences in hardware aside I think its just as capable. However, I can see myself buying a Nexus 7 in a few months just to compare the two.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Mister Fister posted:

Dumb question, are android tablets now powerful enough to stream the same video files that my xbmc setup can? I sorta remember that was a problem with the earlier tablets.
No one here knows what your Xbmc setup is.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

Don Lapre posted:

No one here knows what your Xbmc setup is.

It's an Acer Aspire Revo (3610 i think) ion machine... i mean, will newer tablets be able to play my 720p/1080p files off my Windows Home Server like my Revo can?

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Cakefool posted:

If that is honestly all you use it for it should do you. Usb otg might need root apparently, we'll wait & see.

Nexus 7 supports USB Host Mode with an appropriate adapter (ID pin needs to be pulled low, IIRC) -- the same kind that work with Galaxy Nexus, and other "cable switched" OTG devices.

The OS supports standard USB HID keyboards, mice, trackpads, joysticks, etc, "out of the box", and photo import from PTP capable cameras (plugged in a Nikon D700 and gallery launched with a Photo Import Picker).

Other devices can be supported through third party software (http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/connectivity/usb/host.html).

SeaWolf
Mar 7, 2008

Mister Fister posted:

It's an Acer Aspire Revo (3610 i think) ion machine... i mean, will newer tablets be able to play my 720p/1080p files off my Windows Home Server like my Revo can?

I have the same pc running xbmc and i can play everything it can on my tf201

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Am thinking about picking up a galaxy tab 10.1" today in an hour or so. How does it compare other android tabs? Does it handle streaming well and can it be rooted? The rooting thread here is mainly about phones so I'd like a bit of feedback before I commit to purchase.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

SeaWolf posted:

I have the same pc running xbmc and i can play everything it can on my tf201

Oh sweet, thanks. What apps do you use to connect/play your files?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Mister Fister posted:

will newer tablets be able to play my 720p/1080p files off my Windows Home Server like my Revo can?
Yes, stay away from Tegra 2 and you'll be fine.

Tithin Melias posted:

Am thinking about picking up a galaxy tab 10.1" today in an hour or so. How does it compare other android tabs?
It has a Tegra 2, don't get it.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Rastor posted:

There are a variety of apps available, so whatever's convenient for you. Personally I like the Nook app, for which the preferred format is ePub.

What about DRM? Would my Sony e-books work with the Nook app? I see even Kindle books are available for Android, but do they play nice with non-Amazon apps?

(maybe this isn't the best place to talk about this?)

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

seravid posted:

What about DRM? Would my Sony e-books work with the Nook app?
Not if they're DRM wrapped.

quote:

I see even Kindle books are available for Android, but do they play nice with non-Amazon apps
The DRM in Kindle books will require you to download them through the Kindle app on Android and read them through the Kindle app.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Mister Fister posted:

Hosted locally on a slow microSD, but I was able to watch several TV shows that were 720p MKVs on my tablet (TF201). I only tried 720p since it's not a 1080p screen; but at 720 it's perfect. I get annoyed when videos stutter/fragment/etc but I had no complaints with it.

I did have to buy an app (MX Player Pro that was around $5), but that was to take advantage of the multiple cores on the tablet since I couldn't find anything else at the time that did it. I don't really know if I needed something that did that, but for the peace of mind and the high recommendations I had no problems doing it.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

kitten smoothie posted:

Not if they're DRM wrapped.

The DRM in Kindle books will require you to download them through the Kindle app on Android and read them through the Kindle app.

That's not surprising, but I'm still disappointed I'll have to juggle between two or three apps instead of having one single library.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

seravid posted:

That's not surprising, but I'm still disappointed I'll have to juggle between two or three apps instead of having one single library.

Well just buy from one store in the first place then. There is rarely much reason at all to buy from multiple stores.