Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
FF8's guide literally has nothing about the final boss of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

zakharov posted:

Other than that, it was actually pretty good if I'm remembering correctly. The did seriously overhype Omega Weapon though.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

zakharov posted:

This was actually a pretty popular thing to do in strategy guides from around 1999, 2000-ish. Almost every mainstream guide cut out the final boss section and said "THIS IS A BIG SURPRISE!" I remember the Chrono Cross guide in particular. What a pain in the rear end, too; it said, "You have to cast the spells in a certain order, but we won't tell you what it is!" Who does this?

It took me some years to get to the end of CC, and by that time, I'd gotten the soundtrack and stuff and the only reason I was able to pull it off was because I realized that the notes correlated to the song that plays during the end credits. That's honestly kind of both the designers AND the strategy guide authors droppin' the ball there.

caleramaen posted:

FFXII had a decent guide if I remember correctly. It had a big map of the license board and everything.
Why the gently caress would you need a map of the license board? You can see the whole drat thing from the time you start the game.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

FFXII had a decent guide if I remember correctly. It had a big map of the license board and everything.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

zakharov posted:

It's fitting because the game didn't really have much info on the final boss either :v:

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

The White Dragon posted:

Why the gently caress would you need a map of the license board? You can see the whole drat thing from the time you start the game.

In the original game, I'm pretty sure you couldn't see what a license was until you'd unlocked an adjacent one. That made it hard to plan out a good "path" without looking up the license board somewhere.

Yet another small thing fixed in the international version.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Schwartzcough posted:

In the original game, I'm pretty sure you couldn't see what a license was until you'd unlocked an adjacent one. That made it hard to plan out a good "path" without looking up the license board somewhere.

Yet another small thing fixed in the international version.

I'd swear you could, how else would I have known how to beeline Zodiac Spear? Maybe I just did educated guesswork, but I totally remember knowing that bo-staves and stuff were on the far side of the board long before I got there.

EDIT: Actually, now that I think about it, was it like just an icon of what was under the tile, and it only lit up and gave you the specifics when you bought an adjacent one? Maybe that's how I knew where certain things probably were.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jul 1, 2012

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

You could scroll over and see what something was at any time, but you had to scroll over it. The map was useful as a reference guide you could glance at rather than painstakingly go over each square to see what it was.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
You got no details in the OG version. I remember using my backseat characters to scout ahead.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

This was actually a pretty popular thing to do in strategy guides from around 1999, 2000-ish. Almost every mainstream guide cut out the final boss section and said "THIS IS A BIG SURPRISE!"
Man I'd be sooo pissed off if I ever bought one of those. What's the point of even releasing a guide if you can't get the most important fight right? Might as well write "Protip: shoot boss until dead" (where did that first come from, anyway?)

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Frocobo posted:

Other than that, it was actually pretty good if I'm remembering correctly. The did seriously overhype Omega Weapon though.

I never knew that can be beaten without using cheap invincibility potions...Until I discovered Gamefaqs and realized how out of touch these guide books are.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Honestly, on the subject of these guide books: why fret about spoiling the final boss, when you're just going to screenshot recap the most important cutscenes anyway? Unlike cutscenes, bosses aren't really spoilers without context (depending on said bosses name. This games final boss would be a large spoiler if named, but, for example, Necron? That means nothing to those who haven't played the game, they'd just be all "OK, who and what the gently caress is Necron? Guess I fight him after Kuja, but how the hell does that happen?") The guide books appear to have it backwards.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Pierzak posted:

Might as well write "Protip: shoot boss until dead" (where did that first come from, anyway?)

Some magazine with an article/hint section about Doom, which said:

"Protip: To defeat the Cyberdemon, shoot at it until it dies."

Which is completely useless for any actual strategy.

iTrust
Mar 25, 2010

It's not good for your health.

:frogc00l:

Nighthand posted:

I pulled out my guide to find the pages in question. Note that there's no warning on the previous page that there are major spoilers on the next page.

The PAL release of the game had that screenshot of Cloud lowering Aeris into the water on the back of the case, I didn't know what the hell it was referencing until I actually played the game though, so I don't know if it's a spoiler. The screenshot itself is pretty ambiguous in terms of what is going on there. Of course, the guide is terrible due to the text on the page and all that.

I only have two Final Fantasy game guides, for FFX and FFX-2. Both come from Authorised Collection and they're absolutely incredible guides. They were the only ones I could buy in the UK. They cover pretty much every square inch of the game - the FFX-2 one in particular is incredible in the detail they go to. X-2 needs a guide like that though, considering how convoluted it can be.

Phoenix Taichou
Jun 23, 2010

"Movie reference."

Weird BIAS posted:

Maybe you're thinking of the PC guide? That sounds like the description of the guide I had for the PC version.

Entirely possible, but googling anything related to an FF7 guidebook just brings up that same colour Brady one. I think I'll have to resign myself to never finding a copy again :smith:

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

caleramaen posted:

I'm pretty sure that guide had page references for things listed as question marks. Like they forgot to go back and fill them in.

Not Your Senorita
May 25, 2007

Don't you recognize me? It's-a me, Mario!
Nap Ghost

Phoenix Taichou posted:

Entirely possible, but googling anything related to an FF7 guidebook just brings up that same colour Brady one. I think I'll have to resign myself to never finding a copy again :smith:

I'm 99% sure I have that exact guidebook! Or had, at least. It's probably still hidden in the depths of my parents' basement, but yeah, I was surprised to see that one never got mentioned. As far as I can remember the book wasn't listed as being for a specific version of the game, though there were some inconsistencies here and there so it might have been for PC like someone else said (I was playing on PS1), or it could have been like any other guidebook at the time where they just hosed stuff up because no one checked anything. Would you want me to get a photo or two if I find it so you can see if it's the same one?

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

Honestly, on the subject of these guide books: why fret about spoiling the final boss, when you're just going to screenshot recap the most important cutscenes anyway? Unlike cutscenes, bosses aren't really spoilers without context (depending on said bosses name. This games final boss would be a large spoiler if named, but, for example, Necron? That means nothing to those who haven't played the game, they'd just be all "OK, who and what the gently caress is Necron? Guess I fight him after Kuja, but how the hell does that happen?") The guide books appear to have it backwards.

The Brady FF7 one did this. (Don't spoil the last boss, just in case.)

After spoiling Aeris's death, it does the obnoxious "Sit back, and enjoy the end!" which reeks of lazy writers saying "Yeah, whew, close enough, let's just not bother with the last chapter."

iTrust posted:

I only have two Final Fantasy game guides, for FFX and FFX-2. Both come from Authorised Collection and they're absolutely incredible guides. They were the only ones I could buy in the UK. They cover pretty much every square inch of the game - the FFX-2 one in particular is incredible in the detail they go to. X-2 needs a guide like that though, considering how convoluted it can be.

Really? I thought I remembered the FFX guide constantly saying "For full details on the Sphere Grid, go to Final-Fantasy-X.com!" Because they didn't understand that if I'm going to go over to the computer, connect to the internet, and wait for a page to load, it's going to be Gamefaqs.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

XyloJW posted:

Really? I thought I remembered the FFX guide constantly saying "For full details on the Sphere Grid, go to Final-Fantasy-X.com!" Because they didn't understand that if I'm going to go over to the computer, connect to the internet, and wait for a page to load, it's going to be Gamefaqs.

The guide for IX is infamous for that. It's pretty much pages and pages of "For the strategy, go online to [this address]", to the point that it's pointless buying the guide, when it's just a list of (now dead) internet links.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

second-hand smegma posted:

newsflash your paltry lake is not an ocean :colbert:

Yeah, but thanks to being a 6' human it looks essentially identical. :smug:

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
So we beat on, subs against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The White Dragon posted:

I remember the Chrono Cross guide in particular. What a pain in the rear end, too; it said, "You have to cast the spells in a certain order, but we won't tell you what it is!" Who does this?

Yeah it's like, gee if only I had some sort of strategy guide!

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Pesky Splinter posted:

Some magazine with an article/hint section about Doom, which said:

"Protip: To defeat the Cyberdemon, shoot at it until it dies."

Which is completely useless for any actual strategy.

As far as I know, that was a photoshopped picture spoofing on Gamepro (thus, the PROTIP) but it was pretty drat accurate for what Gamepro's PROTIPs were actually like at the time. Some were even outwardly mocking, like "PROTIP: Make it to the end of stage 5 and see what happens!" :smug:

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Pesky Splinter posted:

The guide for IX is infamous for that. It's pretty much pages and pages of "For the strategy, go online to [this address]", to the point that it's pointless buying the guide, when it's just a list of (now dead) internet links.

I've always assumed it was created by some older manager who didn't yet have the Internet going "I was reading the paper yesterday...this Internet thing seems pretty big, make sure we use it for our next guide." He leaves, then everybody else looks at each other wondering how they can use the Internet on a printed hardcopy strategy guide...and the rest is failure history.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

KataraniSword posted:

As far as I know, that was a photoshopped picture spoofing on Gamepro (thus, the PROTIP) but it was pretty drat accurate for what Gamepro's PROTIPs were actually like at the time. Some were even outwardly mocking, like "PROTIP: Make it to the end of stage 5 and see what happens!" :smug:

I wouldn't be surprised if it WAS an actual Gamepro quote, I seem to recall them being a really sarcastic and hang-loose sort of magazine back when SNES games were still being made. I actually kind of enjoy that tongue-in-cheek style, but we don't really get that anymore because the entire games journalism industry takes itself way too seriously these days.

Losem
Jun 17, 2003
Slightly Angry Sheep
Well this LP has caused me to do what most of them do. go back and play/beat this game. Also I see why you guys have been saying the enemy skill materia is overpowered, I never once used anything other the regen in the last boss fight because of it.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

The White Dragon posted:

This was actually a pretty popular thing to do in strategy guides from around 1999, 2000-ish. Almost every mainstream guide cut out the final boss section and said "THIS IS A BIG SURPRISE!" I remember the Chrono Cross guide in particular. What a pain in the rear end, too; it said, "You have to cast the spells in a certain order, but we won't tell you what it is!" Who does this?
I looked at the attacks chart in the guide and it is the right order to use spells. I thought the ringing was weird, but I tried it out anyway.

I was annoyed finding enemies that were not listed in any guide for several games. Bionic Kraken especially.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

iTrust posted:

I got the FFX-2 guide along with the game itself (before I heard anything about it beyond FFX sequel) and it was phenomenal. Just cracking it open after my first playthrough and seeing exactly how much content I'd missed - all the secret dungeons, minigames, extra % scenes listed and mapped, optimal routes, everything - was insane. I've never seen a better game guide.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.

Illuyankas posted:

I got the FFX-2 guide along with the game itself (before I heard anything about it beyond FFX sequel) and it was phenomenal. Just cracking it open after my first playthrough and seeing exactly how much content I'd missed - all the secret dungeons, minigames, extra % scenes listed and mapped, optimal routes, everything - was insane. I've never seen a better game guide.

I have that guide too, and I find it pretty funny that despite how MASSIVE the book is, it's still incomplete (I don't think it tells you where to get every Garment Grid, for instance). A more padded game I have never seen.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Phelddagrif posted:

I have that guide too, and I find it pretty funny that despite how MASSIVE the book is, it's still incomplete (I don't think it tells you where to get every Garment Grid, for instance). A more padded game I have never seen.

The funny part is you dont miss out on ANYTHING fun by playing the game straight like it wants you.

keet
Aug 20, 2005

Losem posted:

Well this LP has caused me to do what most of them do. go back and play/beat this game. Also I see why you guys have been saying the enemy skill materia is overpowered, I never once used anything other the regen in the last boss fight because of it.

It's also hurt by the fact elemental-specifics (besides maybe making armor) and poison (like in Xenosaga where it's brutal) are not huge deal breakers in this game. If you have the patience to just let a battle go on longer, for the most part a single magic attack that won't be completely absorbed will work for nearly all enemies. And if you're responsible about healing, there's even less gently caress YOU GO LEVEL style bosses.

I have a suspicion the easiness is due to the fact you can attack with blue magic, physical magic, AND even items regularly, but because job classes don't really exist you're pretty unlimited in using everything so its very hard to ever gimp yourself.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

The funny part is you dont miss out on ANYTHING fun by playing the game straight like it wants you.

Yeah, in an era where the only bonus you get lately is "slightly modified ending you'll just look up on youtube" and no real bonus you could use in-game, I stopped worrying about stuff. For X2 once i got all the costumes (GUYS I LIKE COSTUMES BTW) just to look at em, I was pretty much happy with my progress without working about skittles on my credits screen. :v:

keet fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jul 1, 2012

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

This doesn't look like a dictionary to me. I might get it as I am finding stuff that isn't on gamefaqs.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Not sure how that relates to the thread, but holy poo poo that's some thick guide. Disgaea is a pretty complicated game mechanics-wise, but what the hell would you need that many pages for?

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

penguinmambo posted:

The twist of ff7 is cloud never crossdressed in wall market. Cloud's been a lady all along. The war being over was her excuse not to progress in the military for fear of being discovered. Her crazy is due to unresolved romantic issues towards Sephiroth. Tifa isn't saying poo poo because it kind of subconciously creeps her out and she isn't in touch with her sexuality to ask Cloud if she's a dude.

This is canon

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

It took me some years to get to the end of CC, and by that time, I'd gotten the soundtrack and stuff and the only reason I was able to pull it off was because I realized that the notes correlated to the song that plays during the end credits. That's honestly kind of both the designers AND the strategy guide authors droppin' the ball there.

CC tangent: Strategy guide authors yes, designers not so much. The game itself does give you other cues to the sequence, though you do have to know "hey, I should be looking out for a sequence of colors/tones" in the first place.

The final boss itself will even play the sequence for you eventually, if you get it to low enough HP without either killing it or loving up the sequence with your own interruptions.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Not sure how that relates to the thread, but holy poo poo that's some thick guide. Disgaea is a pretty complicated game mechanics-wise, but what the hell would you need that many pages for?

The pages have pretty small dimensions, but mostly it's that DoubleJump was famous for producing ridiculously high-quality guides with small profit margins until they went bankrupt.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Character and item charts, 2 of every level, lots of post-game content. it's also smaller. Slightly larger than your usual paperback, not magazine-sized.

Shame doublejump went under, they knew what they were doing with guides.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

iTrust posted:

The PAL release of the game had that screenshot of Cloud lowering Aeris into the water on the back of the case, I didn't know what the hell it was referencing until I actually played the game though, so I don't know if it's a spoiler. The screenshot itself is pretty ambiguous in terms of what is going on there. Of course, the guide is terrible due to the text on the page and all that.

People have mentioned this a couple of times, but in the US Sony did a huge ad campaign for it with signs on buses and a really exciting TV ad. The ad was all FMV, and included a shot of the funeral scene. I think if you don't know any context at all the scene comes across as a sleeping beauty kind of moment.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
It'd have been super awkward if Aeris had survived being impaled only for Cloud to drown her.

And I think I've found the best ever FFVII fan art:

Sephiroth is all :pwn:

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Pesky Splinter posted:

It'd have been super awkward if Aeris had survived being impaled only for Cloud to drown her.

At first glance, I thought this was a cake - like a "sorry for your loss" cake in extremely bad taste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Pesky Splinter posted:

Sephiroth is all :pwn:

I like how Cloud's eye is literally bugging out of his head staring at dead Aeris.

• Locked thread