Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Rumors of two new Olympus lenses, a 25mm f1.8 and a 12-60mm f/2.8-4.0. I was ready to pull the trigger on the Panasonic 25mm f1.4 this week but if the Olympus is as cheap as they say it is then I dunno. I ain't some big time photographer and don't know much about them fancy f-stop numbers and such but maybe the difference is worth the price?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

25mm f/1.8 doesn't seem like anything special, considering it's equivalent to 50mm for FF and 50mm f1.8 is pretty much the "standard" prime for FF.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

If it focuses as fast as the 45mm 1.8 that would be a pretty sweet upgrade from the 20mm 1.7.

getsuga
Dec 31, 2007

spankmeister posted:

25mm f/1.8 doesn't seem like anything special, considering it's equivalent to 50mm for FF and 50mm f1.8 is pretty much the "standard" prime for FF.

It's the standard for a reason :confused:

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

Cacator posted:

Rumors of two new Olympus lenses, a 25mm f1.8 and a 12-60mm f/2.8-4.0. I was ready to pull the trigger on the Panasonic 25mm f1.4 this week but if the Olympus is as cheap as they say it is then I dunno. I ain't some big time photographer and don't know much about them fancy f-stop numbers and such but maybe the difference is worth the price?

I haven't used an F/1.4 yet, but I can't imagine the difference being tooooo great for a non-professional photographer. I do know that if I can't get faster than 3.5 in some situations I get annoyed. Especially indoors.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Being an NEX owner, it feels like every other mirrorless manufacturer really spoils their photographers with new lenses :sigh:

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Being an NEX owner, it feels like every other mirrorless manufacturer really spoils their photographers with new lenses :sigh:
You'll create photographs by banging two rocks together and like it! :mad:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

It's rough being an Olympus owner and having to pick from multiple manufactures.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Not that it's much consolation but at least the LA-EA2 adapter gives us access to Sony and Minolta Alpha-mount lenses with phase-detection autofocus. Although that's at the cost of an increase in size and weight and the loss of image stabilization.

It's really your only option if you want a good zoom lens. However, I'm dieing for a good pancake lens so I can pocket the camera.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Don Lapre posted:

It's rough being an Olympus owner and having to pick from multiple manufactures.

Not to mention the agony of having to choose between the many excellent primes.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

Edward IV posted:

Not that it's much consolation but at least the LA-EA2 adapter gives us access to Sony and Minolta Alpha-mount lenses with phase-detection autofocus. Although that's at the cost of an increase in size and weight and the loss of image stabilization.

I wish they'd make one with a viewfinder. I mean if you're going to basically piece together an SLR anyway you might as well include the most useful part.

Like http://www.flickr.com/photos/realityscans/3891747857/in/photostream/

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Not to mention the agony of having to choose between the many excellent primes.

Sony should just give up making their own lenses, let Sigma do it. They're already way ahead with just the two, and they can spread the R&D over two mounts.

Beastruction fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jun 28, 2012

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty
Fun Shoe

Don Lapre posted:

You have no idea how bad it is for us Panasonic guys.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

What's all this talk about changing lenses? X100 :smug:

Speaking of, has anyone picked up the new wide angle convertor for it?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Helicity posted:

I had one of those...

For my coolpix 995

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

Helicity posted:

Does the x100 have lens threads?

edit: nevermind, I know it must, comes with a lens hood.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Costello Jello posted:

Does the x100 have lens threads?

edit: nevermind, I know it must, comes with a lens hood.

Reverse ones. Yeah, I kid you not. You have 49mm threads on the OUTSIDE.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Beastruction posted:

Sony should just give up making their own lenses, let Sigma do it. They're already way ahead with just the two, and they can spread the R&D over two mounts.
They kind of already do. Sony owns a stake in Tamron (20%?), and a few Sony lenses are rebadged Tamron lenses. I wish they did more of it, though. Maybe keep the Zeiss stuff in house and farm out the rest.

waxluthor
May 28, 2003
Cross-posting from the buy & sell thread. I have the FA-EX1S flash extender and the JJC MSA-6 universal cold shoe adapter for NEX 3/C3/5/5N for sale.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3125105&pagenumber=109#post405141176

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Helicity posted:

how is the manual focus for it? Does it actually optical focus or is it digitally controlled focus?

Random Task
Mar 23, 2012
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A WORTHLESS GODDAMN DEADBEAT AND RUINING CHRISTMAS IN DORKROOM. NO SERIOUSLY, ASK ME, SO I CAN EXPLAIN MYSELF.
So the OMD was damned expensive for what it is, and a pain to get a hold of. It's also the only EVF weather sealed camera (right?) and it is an AWESOME piece of kit. It had to be at that price. I like it much more than my GH2 for stills. Jury is still out on the video issue -- GH2 is MUCH better but it's unclear how much I care. I really needed a weather sealed camera though, and everything about Olympus cameras, including the 80+ option menus, fits me so nicely.

Anyone want to buy an excellent condition REDACTED? Kidding, kidding. I'm not allowed to sell here.

aluminumonkey
Jun 19, 2002

Reggie loves tacos

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I'm in the same boat with my NEX 7. I was able to finally get my hands on a OMD to try out and I like the size and weight of it. Plus all the loving lenses to choose from. I kind of wish I got the OMD now :(

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Suicide Watch posted:

how is the manual focus for it? Does it actually optical focus or is it digitally controlled focus?

I'm pretty sure it just slips over the existing lens so focusing characteristics remain unchanged. It's supposed to be a pretty nice piece of kit. I'm hoping for a 2x adapter too.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere
Anyone else excited about the Sony RX100 compact camera?

I know it seems like an outrageous price when you could get a NEX 5N for like 50 dollars more. But I already have a DSLR for when I need the best image quality, and I want something that is truly portable in a "forget about it" sort of way.

And as impressed as I am with the NEX 5N's image quality, I just didn't get into the handling of it. I just don't like holding a camera with a lens that large like it's a P&S. It just feels so much more comfortable and stable when I've got a large camera like that against my head. So the only mirrorless camera that I REALLY want is the NEX-7, and I'm not ready to spend that much money investing in the NEX system yet.

I've been really impressed with the image quality of the RX100 compared to cameras of its size. The high ISO isn't amazing, but I think with RAW I'll be able to massage some great quality out of it, because Sony in-camera noise reduction just sucks anyway.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Could any NEX users tell me about their experiences with the LA-EA1 or LA-EA2 adapters? Things I have heard about them that I was wondering about:

The 1 is horribly slow with autofocus. Does that mean it is the same as the camera's native autofocus, or it is actually slower? Any other complaints about the adapter?

The 2 - low light performance drops considerably due to the translucent mirror. How much? Will iso 100 go down to 200, 1600 to 3200 etc. or would I expect even more of a hit?

Is the autofocus as good as say an A55 (which I believe shares the same sensor?), or somewhere in between a DSLR and NEX? I have also read that you lose the touchscreen focus, which really sucks for me.

I have also heard about the suboptimal ergonomics but after shooting with adapted MF glass, I don't think it will be that different.

I am basically wondering if I should sell my 5N and E mount lenses to buy a Sony DSLR with the proceeds, as 1) the lens selection is a drag and 2) my wife has a Sony so we could invest in A mount lenses only and save cash. However, I do really like my 5N a lot. I have gotten to really like the touch screen for focusing, and the IQ is great. I have missed some shots with slower autofocus, which is frustrating, and really want some fast lenses. A viewfinder would also be great and I do not see myself having enough disposable income to buy the EVF.

Really any info would be helpful...trying to make this decision before the 5N refresh.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Picked up the Panasonic Leica 25mm f1.4 yesterday and tested it out at a party, holy hell does it take some gorgeous shots but it's also incredibly easy to miss focus, especially when I handed the camera off to other people.

Edit: Also the E-M5 holds up quite well up to 6400 ISO, I'm very impressed.

Cacator fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jul 1, 2012

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe
I was just picked up a Panasonic GF1 with a F/1.7 20mm lens and I really don't need the lens. Is $285 a reasonable price to sell the lens for if it's in great shape?

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

That would be a decent deal for anyone who picks it up, yes.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Miso Beno posted:

I was just picked up a Panasonic GF1 with a F/1.7 20mm lens and I really don't need the lens. Is $285 a reasonable price to sell the lens for if it's in great shape?

Yeah, sounds like it. I did the very same thing recently except dumped the GF1 and kept the lens. The GF1 was a sweet, sweet camera though and if it had a good, integrated viewfinder I would not have gotten the E-M5.

Random Task
Mar 23, 2012
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A WORTHLESS GODDAMN DEADBEAT AND RUINING CHRISTMAS IN DORKROOM. NO SERIOUSLY, ASK ME, SO I CAN EXPLAIN MYSELF.

Miso Beno posted:

No. It's frequently out of stock and difficult to find at a good price; a little patience should yield closer to maybe $340. Lowest used price on Amazon is 370.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Random Task posted:

No. It's frequently out of stock and difficult to find at a good price; a little patience should yield closer to maybe $340. Lowest used price on Amazon is 370.

I figure I'd ask $300 throw in shipping if it didn't move in a hurry that way it worked out to 285 net to me and some goon would get a solid deal.

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Yeah, sounds like it. I did the very same thing recently except dumped the GF1 and kept the lens. The GF1 was a sweet, sweet camera though and if it had a good, integrated viewfinder I would not have gotten the E-M5.

I'm going to have the GF1 IR converted because I've always wanted an IR camera, and M4/3 seems like an awesome platform for it.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Hey I am new to this whole thing and I'm looking at buying a 4/3 camera. While shopping I came upon the following craigslist post: http://atlanta.craigslist.org/eat/pho/3071563370.html

Dude is selling a bunch of old lenses, and it's my understanding that 4/3 mount, especially the PEN stuff cause they have sensor-shift VR, are really good with these if you have an adapter? What's the rule on these, is this kind of thing worth investing in? Will I need a mount adapter for each brand?

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

signalnoise posted:

Hey I am new to this whole thing and I'm looking at buying a 4/3 camera. While shopping I came upon the following craigslist post: http://atlanta.craigslist.org/eat/pho/3071563370.html

Dude is selling a bunch of old lenses, and it's my understanding that 4/3 mount, especially the PEN stuff cause they have sensor-shift VR, are really good with these if you have an adapter? What's the rule on these, is this kind of thing worth investing in? Will I need a mount adapter for each brand?
There's some use, but it's limited due to the crop factor. Since the m4/3 sensor is half the length and width of a 35mm film frame, a wide-angle lens for a 35mm camera becomes a slow (and thus, not that exciting) normal lens on m4/3, and a normal (50mm or so) lens becomes more of a portrait length (which actually is a nice thing to have). Personally, I'd get for a nice 50mm, but stick with native m4/3 lenses for everything else.

Regarding the ad, I don't see much listed worth getting excited about, at least for the price. Check KEH.com for used gear - and hey, if you're in Atlanta, you can probably order and pick it up locally!

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

FasterThanLight posted:

There's some use, but it's limited due to the crop factor. Since the m4/3 sensor is half the length and width of a 35mm film frame, a wide-angle lens for a 35mm camera becomes a slow (and thus, not that exciting) normal lens on m4/3, and a normal (50mm or so) lens becomes more of a portrait length (which actually is a nice thing to have). Personally, I'd get for a nice 50mm, but stick with native m4/3 lenses for everything else.

Regarding the ad, I don't see much listed worth getting excited about, at least for the price. Check KEH.com for used gear - and hey, if you're in Atlanta, you can probably order and pick it up locally!

A lot of those older lenses look really appealing for the price. Is there any reason to spend 8x as much on an official MF-2 OM to M4/3 adapter when something like this exists?

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

signalnoise posted:

A lot of those older lenses look really appealing for the price. Is there any reason to spend 8x as much on an official MF-2 OM to M4/3 adapter when something like this exists?

Not really, the OM adapters amongst others are "dumb" adapters that do nothing but let you physically attach the lens in a convenient way. The differences between the really expensive and really cheap ones can come down to general fitment (some let the lens wiggle a bit, some are a little on the tight side, etc) and possibly things like not blacking out the inside which can lead to flare/reflections.

Fotodiox is decent enough stuff.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm thinking about buying a Fuji x100 as a general purpose vacation camera. I have a decent Canon P&S (don't remember which one) as well as a canon 7d and gear. Do I really need something in between? Aside from the megapixels, does the Fuji offer much that a point & shoot doesn't?

tldr: Talk me out of buying another toy

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I'm thinking about buying a Fuji x100 as a general purpose vacation camera. I have a decent Canon P&S (don't remember which one) as well as a canon 7d and gear. Do I really need something in between? Aside from the megapixels, does the Fuji offer much that a point & shoot doesn't?

The X100 offers flat out excellent image quality, far beyond what a P&S will produce. It also performs admirably at higher ISO.

The 7D is great but a big bulky beast, and with a decent lens (for primes, I think the Tokina 35/2.8 macro is fantastic on the 7D) even bigger.

If you are OK with shooting a single focal length and aren't shooting things that move a lot, I can think of few cameras as good as the X100. The E-M5 with its built in IS and better AF is a bit more flexible, but the X100 is pretty awesome.

Sorry.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Thanks for the advice, ended up buying:

Olympus E-P2
Lumix G 14mm lens
Fotodiox OM-m4/3 adapter
75-300 F4.5-5.6 Vivitar lens to gently caress around with out of curiosity

I figure if I ever get super serious, the E-M5 is about as large a camera as I'll ever want anyway. I might get a branded 50mm in a little while but for now I'm looking to shoot landscape mostly, and I'm told that the 14mm lens should be good for that.

Now my understanding is that a 75-300 lens on a 4/3 sensor is ridiculous, is that correct?

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jul 3, 2012

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Have you considered the Pentax K-01.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

It's 7D quality with P&S convenience, along with a few other goodies. For casual portraiture and street photography it's like a whole new world. For sports and wildlife it's essentially worthless. For landscapes it really forces you to understand composition and design, and while I find it's more of a thinking exercise, my output has been much better than it ever was with my 17-40L or 10-22 on a Canon crop body.

If you've ever used a 35mm it will seem like the best thing since sliced bread - otherwise you may find yourself longing for zoom functionality. I've been thoroughly impressed with mine, but it's an odd camera. My friend put it best: "I love this camera, but it's quirky". Most of the quirks can be worked around by experience with the camera however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
Received the wide-angle adapter for my 14-42 Olympus lens today and have to say I'm pretty impressed. Nice finally having a "wide" lens for this platform when I need it.