Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
That's my purse! I don't know you!

HookShot posted:

I'm pretty sure those photos from last year aren't taken by him dude.

Wow, I'm an idiot. I inferred that he took those as a spectator and was asked to shoot this year.

STILL!

Learn from that guy's mistakes, Legdiian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

the posted:

Those pictures are terrible. I am sure you can do better. I don't think you need any additional lenses.

I was just thinking I may need something a little faster because it looks quite a bit of the show is a night. But yeah, I can't believe those are the "official" images for that event...

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
My wife likes to get tons of pictures of our brat children from Olin Mills because their processing has always been better then all the other cheap kid photo places. Anyway they were recently purchased by one of the other bad places and now their photos are piss poor quality also. Where the hell can I now go to get properly developed 8 X 10 and various shots of brats for $50 a session? I am really bummed out about losing my cheap kid photo place.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
For $50? Probably not many places-- do a search for photographer(s) in your area, look at their portfolio, then prices.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Elephanthead posted:

My wife likes to get tons of pictures of our brat children from Olin Mills because their processing has always been better then all the other cheap kid photo places. Anyway they were recently purchased by one of the other bad places and now their photos are piss poor quality also. Where the hell can I now go to get properly developed 8 X 10 and various shots of brats for $50 a session? I am really bummed out about losing my cheap kid photo place.

Get your own camera?

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

the posted:

Get your own camera?

Totally, I mean why pay for someone else to take professional pictures of your kids when you can do the same job yourself? When I get married I'm just going to hand my rebel over to my friend and I'll have professional pictures at zero cost!

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

the posted:

Get your own camera?

Oh, man....can of worms opened.

I shoot kids, a lot. I'm no pro, but I'm worlds better than the parents with cameras. It takes practice and patience and skill to do good kids' portraits, not just a good camera.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

"Nice photo, you must have a really good camera!"

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Clayton Bigsby posted:

"Nice photo, you must have a really good camera!"

Hahaha!

That phrase reminds me... I was so pissed of by hearing some variation of this sentence - thus I copied downsized versions of the images I took with my DSLR to my PowerShot A20's CF card. (32MB woo!) Cue above dumb sentence, I whipped out the camera and hit the play button...

The :stonk: reaction was worth the effort 10 times over.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

VomitOnLino posted:

Hahaha!

That phrase reminds me... I was so pissed of by hearing some variation of this sentence - thus I copied downsized versions of the images I took with my DSLR to my PowerShot A20's CF card. (32MB woo!) Cue above dumb sentence, I whipped out the camera and hit the play button...

Now go do the same with med format scans.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

50 bucks isn't exactly the budget for a professional.

You can always put an ad on craigslist asking for someone to take pictures of your kids? You might even get someone doing it Time for Prints

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

VomitOnLino posted:

Hahaha!

That's funny, but at the same time it kind of proves the persons point.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Legdiian posted:

That's funny, but at the same time it kind of proves the persons point.

Well I guess if you hit a low enough level, then yes -- but: Some of my all time favorite pictures were taken with a Canon Powershot A570. Which is by today's standards probably well below bargain bin level point and shoots. Also lots of my A20 photos being crap had more to do with the fact that I was a crap photographer back then.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

torgeaux posted:

I shoot kids, a lot.

Heh heh heh.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Next weekend I get to take a ride in a hot air balloon :o. If I can overcome my paralyzing fear of heights to actually get on the thing, and then actually open my eyes, I would like to take some photos.

I would think the wider the lens the better for something like this? And a polarizer?

I have an m4/3 camera with a 20mm (40mm equiv) and a 14-45mm (28-90mm). I doubt either is ideal. I have rented the 7-14mm (14-28mm) m4/3 lens before, and it was great, but it does not have a filter thread.

Any other advice would be lovely. I am certainly not a professional and I doubt I will have a second chance at this any time soon.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Maybe rent the Olympus 9-18? That one can take filters.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Local photographers look like a bunch of pretentious douches. Looks like I try the field image camera.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Kaluza-Klein posted:

Next weekend I get to take a ride in a hot air balloon :o. If I can overcome my paralyzing fear of heights to actually get on the thing, and then actually open my eyes, I would like to take some photos.

I would think the wider the lens the better for something like this? And a polarizer?

I have an m4/3 camera with a 20mm (40mm equiv) and a 14-45mm (28-90mm). I doubt either is ideal. I have rented the 7-14mm (14-28mm) m4/3 lens before, and it was great, but it does not have a filter thread.

Any other advice would be lovely. I am certainly not a professional and I doubt I will have a second chance at this any time soon.
The longer the better. All of the wide angle shots will look the same. A longer lens will let you frame interesting landscape features from above.

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.
I took almost the exact same lenses on a helicopter flight over Victoria falls last September. Didn't really get a chance to use the Panasonic 20mm because the flight was only 15 minutes but the Olympus kit 14-42mm was far from ideal. Get the longest you can get, wish I had.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Saint Fu posted:

The longer the better. All of the wide angle shots will look the same. A longer lens will let you frame interesting landscape features from above.

Huh, never thought of that.

Maybe this is an excuse to buy the cheap 45-200mm panasonic makes :o.

Searching flickr for hot air balloon ride is mostly pics of people in/around balloons or pictures of balloons themselves. And for god knows what reason almost all of them have their exif data removed/hidden. I wanted to steal their exif secrets!!!

Tshirt Ninja
Jan 1, 2010
Can someone tell me what's going on here and how to achieve it? It looks like the trails are from a long exposure, but then the subject itself is exposed with a flash...?

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

Tshirt Ninja posted:

It looks like the trails are from a long exposure, but then the subject itself is exposed with a flash...?

Yep. Probably second curtain flash so the trails go the right way.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Bulb with second curtain flash. Press, move (+zoom in), release, profit. there is no profit

Tshirt Ninja
Jan 1, 2010
Much appreciated!

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Tshirt Ninja posted:

Can someone tell me what's going on here and how to achieve it? It looks like the trails are from a long exposure, but then the subject itself is exposed with a flash...?

Get drunk and then press the shutter button with your dick.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

RangerScum posted:

Get drunk and then press the shutter button with your dick.

The best way to take any kind of photo.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I have some magazine prints I've scanned and they have the paper has started to yellow. They are 40 years old. Whats the right way to get rid of that? White balance? Subtract/multiply yellow? Something else?

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

I have some magazine prints I've scanned and they have the paper has started to yellow. They are 40 years old. Whats the right way to get rid of that? White balance? Subtract/multiply yellow? Something else?

Try selective color, go into whites, and reduce yellows.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Paragon8 posted:

Try selective color, go into whites, and reduce yellows.

Won't that only correct for it in the highlights? I would think the effect is across the board.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Try it, and just experiment around with taking yellows down in the other fields.

Not sure if it will work or not, just trying to give you an option.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Quick method: use the white balance tool and select white background of the magazine as your reference point for the tool.

Cythrelo
Sep 21, 2006
Intensely, it liberates with the heart which shines the fortress of thee ascent
So I just bought a D5100, which marks my first foray into both DSLR territory and Nikon territory, and I'm loving it. But there's one little issue that's bugging me a fair bit, and that's how auto ISO is buried deep in the menus. I stuck it on the user menu for now, but is there a more convenient way to enable and disable auto ISO?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I've never even heard of "auto ISO," that's interesting. How would that even work? That like trying to find the angle of a triangle but having two variables to find instead of just one.

...wow, what a nerdy analogy.

But really, I think of shutter speed/aperture/ISO as a triangle - you change one angle, one or both of the other two are going to have to change slightly. I've had success explaining SS/Ap/ISO to people that way.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

About a month ago, one of my photos had a black line across it. It didn't happen again until Friday, when most of my photos had lines across, using two different CF cards. There were 1-3 lines of slightly different thicknesses and in different places on the image.

Has anyone seen this before? I hope it's the cards breaking, but because it happened with two cards, I fear it's the camera.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

QPZIL posted:

I've never even heard of "auto ISO," that's interesting. How would that even work?

I use it all the time, it's awesome. On my camera you can set a maximum value for it so things don't get too grainy. It's especially useful for aperture priority mode in low light, as it can ensure you get hand-holdable shutter-speeds while keeping noise at a minimum automatically.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

QPZIL posted:

I've never even heard of "auto ISO," that's interesting. How would that even work? That like trying to find the angle of a triangle but having two variables to find instead of just one.

The manufacturer creates an algorithm that places bias on a certain shutter speed/ISO that they think is a good combination. A simple version would be 'always use ISO 200 -unless shutter speed drops to 1/50 when wide open, then bump up ISO until this limit is met'.

What I find mildly disappointing is that no body has the option to create your own algorithm and upload it to the camera - I am sure that many serious users already have their own preferences of noise vs shake and given a real world situation, would select a different combo compared to another user.

Ric posted:

About a month ago, one of my photos had a black line across it. It didn't happen again until Friday, when most of my photos had lines across, using two different CF cards. There were 1-3 lines of slightly different thicknesses and in different places on the image.

Has anyone seen this before? I hope it's the cards breaking, but because it happened with two cards, I fear it's the camera.

Looks like a problem with the sensor, sorry. It is how I would imagine it to break if a couple of soldering points on the sensor failed.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

spog posted:

Looks like a problem with the sensor, sorry. It is how I would imagine it to break if a couple of soldering points on the sensor failed.
Thanks. Just contacted Nikon. Couldn't have happened at a worse time, other than during the upcoming work.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

spog posted:

The manufacturer creates an algorithm that places bias on a certain shutter speed/ISO that they think is a good combination. A simple version would be 'always use ISO 200 -unless shutter speed drops to 1/50 when wide open, then bump up ISO until this limit is met'.

What I find mildly disappointing is that no body has the option to create your own algorithm and upload it to the camera - I am sure that many serious users already have their own preferences of noise vs shake and given a real world situation, would select a different combo compared to another user.

I shoot people on motorcycles flying around parking lots so I use auto iso all the time, but I use it in Manual mode. I set my shutter speed and aperture and auto iso changes the iso value to achieve the correct exposure. The viewfinder shows you what ISO it has come up with so if I think there is going to be too much grain, I get lower the shutter speed or open up the aperture. I don't see a need for any more control than that.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Legdiian posted:

I shoot people on motorcycles flying around parking lots so I use auto iso all the time, but I use it in Manual mode. I set my shutter speed and aperture and auto iso changes the iso value to achieve the correct exposure. The viewfinder shows you what ISO it has come up with so if I think there is going to be too much grain, I get lower the shutter speed or open up the aperture. I don't see a need for any more control than that.

This is neat. I wonder if my D700 has it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
The Pentax K-5 has selectable Program algoritms (no user programming though) like Auto, wide aperture, narrow aperture, fast, MTF etc. and biasing for the Auto-ISO, slow, normal and fast. Fast program mode is seriously fast, on a 21mm it'll still bump to 1/1500 even if it means using max ISO.