Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

So contributing to LPAM got me back in the Fallout modding mood, despite my crashing troubles, and I've finally come up with a way to cap off my series of radio mods. I'm gonna post my ideas here so they can be kicked around. I think they're pretty solid, but I'd like to hear some outside opinions.

Black Mountain Radio: This one I'm thinking will be mostly patriotic music, maybe borrowing a few tracks from Fallout 3's Enclave radio and a couple from CONELRAD. Might include some recordings from numbers stations as a sort of link to the Black Mountain facility's dealings with the Hidden Valley military base before the war. Also considering just throwing in a handful of odds and ends, sort of like the mutants just adding in some tapes they found in their wasteland travels. Finally, should I figure out a quick and easy way to do it, I'll try and make it so you can both reactivate the station after Tabitha leaves and boost the signal so it can be heard all over the wasteland.

Happy Trails Expedition Broadcast: Adding music to this one would basically validate its existence as a station, since as is it's basically useless. To make it sort of fit with the intended purpose, probably have it play some spirituals and other religious songs to sort of reflect the journey into New Canaan at the heart of Mormon country. Probably toss in a little bit of country/western stuff to pad it out.

Sierra Madre Broadcast: This one won't get touched. Adding anything to the broadcast would directly conflict with Dead Money's story, since a lot of the plot hinges directly on the fact that the broadcast is nothing but Vera talking.

On top of those, I also came up with a concept for a new station. I'm thinking of doing a rock and roll/rockabilly driven station that's manned by a ghoul who's been working there since before the war. Nothing too fancy, but I think the rest of the period-correct musical themes are already covered.

HERMES Radio, which none of you probably even remember me talking about since it was probably forty pages ago, is probably discontinued. Even though I now know how to get something like that working, the concept I was working with suffered from becoming too grand. It slowly went from being sort of a dynamic radio station to being a full-fledged quest line complete with voice acted characters and new locations... and I just don't have the time or skill for that, as much as I'd like to do it.

What do you guys think? Is this something I should pursue?
Yes you should totally pursue it. Be aware that CONELRAD already overlaps with your Mojave Music Radio (a little) though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

Lord Lambeth posted:

Yes you should totally pursue it. Be aware that CONELRAD already overlaps with your Mojave Music Radio (a little) though.

I took no tracks from CONELRAD for that, though. The one song I can even think of that's close is a version of "I'm No Communist," and that one is different than the one that's on CONELRAD. Moreover, I honestly am kind of looking to replace CONELRAD in a way since the author rather lazily just repurposed the Fallout 3 version without changing it, leaving it with the voiceovers clearly referring to the DC area. Maybe it's a bit nitpicky, but that always kind of bothered me about that station.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Are there any good flashlight mods that don't require you to actually hold one in your hand?

Also, I've modded this game a lot, beaten it once and restarted a poo poo load, but now I want to start and go through the game and all of its DLC. Im basically only looking for mods that make the game much better.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

One more question actually, does NVMM support FOMOD script installs yet?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Vivec posted:

Are there any good flashlight mods that don't require you to actually hold one in your hand?

Flashlight NVSE.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
There aren't any good flashlight mods, though, as the lighting of the engine sucks balls.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Quick question. Do you need any of the Downloadable content to play with some of these mods?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Fargin Icehole posted:

Quick question. Do you need any of the Downloadable content to play with some of these mods?

Yes. Sometimes it is a requirement, and sometimes it is not. It's generally very clear that a mod requires a DLC (for example, you can't use Project Nevada's Old World Blues' plugins without already owning Old World Blues; you can't use WMX or WME's mods for DLC weapons if you do not already own the corresponding DLC.) In these cases, common sense dictates that you need to own the DLC to use the mod. Most mods do not arbitrarily require DLC, however, unless they're meant specifically for the DLC. It's not like you're going to download a flashlight mod and find out that Lonesome Road is required for it to function, unless it's a really stupid mod.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yes. Sometimes it is a requirement, and sometimes it is not. It's generally very clear that a mod requires a DLC (for example, you can't use Project Nevada's Old World Blues' plugins without already owning Old World Blues; you can't use WMX or WME's mods for DLC weapons if you do not already own the corresponding DLC.) In these cases, common sense dictates that you need to own the DLC to use the mod. Most mods do not arbitrarily require DLC, however, unless they're meant specifically for the DLC. It's not like you're going to download a flashlight mod and find out that Lonesome Road is required for it to function, unless it's a really stupid mod.

Right thanks. That last part was what I was looking for. I'm looking to purchase the original only on steam and I'd like to play it straight away with all the famous mods that offer convenient stuff, bug fixes, new features and the like without having to worry if it won't work because I don't have Dead money or something.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Fargin Icehole posted:

Right thanks. That last part was what I was looking for. I'm looking to purchase the original only on steam and I'd like to play it straight away with all the famous mods that offer convenient stuff, bug fixes, new features and the like without having to worry if it won't work because I don't have Dead money or something.

If you don't mind me asking, why don't you just get the GOTY edition that will undoubtedly cost pennies in Steam's upcoming Summer Sale?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

If you don't mind me asking, why don't you just get the GOTY edition that will undoubtedly cost pennies in Steam's upcoming Summer Sale?

He probably already owned it and just hadn't played it much

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I didn't want to spend 40 bucks, when I could just buy it for 26 at amazon (But didn't want to wait) and I haven't seen NV on sale on steam for awhile now. It was an impulse buy thing. I'll wait until there's a sale.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jul 2, 2012

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Is there any mod that adds swim trunks for men in the game? I just want it for stupid immersion reasons.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

I've got a few questions, mostly:

1. Is CCO compatible with PN? And secondly, what does CCO actually.. do? It says that

quote:

Gameplay Changes – The crux of the overhaul. Many game formulas are changed and the function of V.A.T.S. is different altogether.

but what does this actually mean? I'm trying to nail my mods down so I'm not constantly changing them out throughout and loving my game up.

2. What Weapon Mod, mod do you guys prefer? And is there one that actually distributes them around the world or do you have to craft them all?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
1. Yes, there are patches for it. It is a rebalance module. Read the readme.

2. Weapon Mods Expanded (WMX)

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

Vivec posted:

I've got a few questions, mostly:

1. Is CCO compatible with PN? And secondly, what does CCO actually.. do? It says that

but what does this actually mean?

http://ooccommunity.com/downloads/mods/CCO/CCO_Readme.pdf

Horns
Nov 4, 2009

Vivec posted:

2. What Weapon Mod, mod do you guys prefer? And is there one that actually distributes them around the world or do you have to craft them all?
WMX distributes mods to merchants and level lists, but I prefer to use Recipes for Weapon Mods that lets you make mods out of junk like scrap metal. There's a more "realistic" version where you have to use new tools and new items like lenses, and a "simple" one that only uses vanilla junk/crafting materials.

There's also a Mail-Order Catalogs mod for buying weapon mods, but it only seemed to work half the time when I used it last (which was admittedly a loooong time ago, it might have been improved since then).

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

There was a mod on the nexus that let the GRA weapons use Arenovalis's textures, did it get taken down or am I just horrible at finding things?

Arenovalis
Dec 8, 2010

Oh, no, I said, "steamed hams." That's what I call hamburgers.
The guy who made the patch has all his files set to hidden atm for some reason.

E/ I spoke to him and he unhid the file.

http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/46800

Arenovalis fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jul 3, 2012

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Is there a mod that removes or at least tones down the yellow blowout characters gets?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Upmarket Mango posted:

Is there a mod that removes or at least tones down the yellow blowout characters gets?

Am I correct in assuming that you're using some sort of weather mod / dynavision-style shaders?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Upmarket Mango posted:

What mods are you using? This looks like poo poo.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

I'm using Electro-City Imaginator with the "Overall Nice Enhancement" preset enabled and Project Reality with everything disabled except for the "Pleasant" weather cycle.

EDIT: It's probably Project Reality behind it but it can't be the sole cause because I recall this sort of thing being present in the vanilla game as well (albeit not as pronounced).

Proletarian Mango fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jul 3, 2012

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Is there a face mod in general that changes the game's god-drat Ken Doll faces? I'm tired of Fiends looking like models that just rubbed charcoal on their faces.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Is there a face mod in general that changes the game's god-drat Ken Doll faces? I'm tired of Fiends looking like models that just rubbed charcoal on their faces.

NVCE might be a good place to start. Alternatively, Hall of Faces updates the face textures without changing the facial structure of NPCs.

Upmarket Mango posted:

I'm using Electro-City Imaginator with the "Overall Nice Enhancement" preset enabled and Project Reality with everything disabled except for the "Pleasant" weather cycle.

EDIT: It's probably Project Reality behind it but it can't be the sole cause because I recall this sort of thing being present in the vanilla game as well (albeit not as pronounced).

Yeah, the HDR + Bloom has definitely been a problem since Oblivion, but your plugins seem to be making it worse. Since most third party shaders only exacerbate the issue by incorporating dramatic settings, my recommendation would be to continue fiddling with Imaginator. See if you can't tone down the settings there, first.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

Upmarket Mango posted:

NV is ridiculously yellow by default, but quite frankly I haven't seen a single shader/weather mod which fixes this to any satisfactory degree, at least without breaking anything else. Your best bet is fxaa tool for the AA (which helps with the framerate a lot, esp. In VATS mode) Then you set saturation with it down by 50% or something. This fixes a lot of the yellow. Either that or you go Technicolor.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Is there a reason the fxaa tool isn't in the OP if its recommended?

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Police Automaton posted:

NV is ridiculously yellow by default, but quite frankly I haven't seen a single shader/weather mod which fixes this to any satisfactory degree, at least without breaking anything else. Your best bet is fxaa tool for the AA (which helps with the framerate a lot, esp. In VATS mode) Then you set saturation with it down by 50% or something. This fixes a lot of the yellow. Either that or you go Technicolor.

Well I disabled Bloom/HDR and then I toned the saturation way down. The game still has color and I'm not getting yellow explosions on characters anymore so that's good, but everything certainly does look a lot more dead but I guess that's the sacrifice I gotta make. Thanks for the tip, I wouldn't even have thought of toning down saturation.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Rabhadh posted:

Is there a reason the fxaa tool isn't in the OP if its recommended?

Nope.

EDIT: To anybody who is reading this and going, "FXAA Tool? What's that?" I should warn that the FXAA doesn't work on Laptops and PCs with Nvidia Optimus. The only real "solution" to the tool is to replace .dll files in the Windows folder, which breaks functionality with other DX9 games until the original .dlls are restored. This solution doesn't work a lot, either.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jul 3, 2012

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
So just don't use it then?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Rabhadh posted:

So just don't use it then?

I don't. I'm just saving anybody who uses Optimus technology 20 minutes of head scratching.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Just figured I'd give a shoutout to Omnicarus for Lombard Station. It's definitely my favorite player housing and there's so many neat touches.

For example I didn't realize throwing weapons went downstairs and not on the weapon wall, so I took a bunch of throwing spears and figured they'd go somewhere on a rack, and was blown away when they show up in a barrel that I thought was just for decoration. The tables are great for displaying custom weapons and it manages to do all the cool poo poo the Underground Hideout does without being all retarded and over the top.

It's a fantastic player home and I totally recommend it.

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

TEBOW 3 16 posted:

Just figured I'd give a shoutout to Omnicarus for Lombard Station. It's definitely my favorite player housing and there's so many neat touches.

For example I didn't realize throwing weapons went downstairs and not on the weapon wall, so I took a bunch of throwing spears and figured they'd go somewhere on a rack, and was blown away when they show up in a barrel that I thought was just for decoration. The tables are great for displaying custom weapons and it manages to do all the cool poo poo the Underground Hideout does without being all retarded and over the top.

It's a fantastic player home and I totally recommend it.

Is there a easier way of getting stuff from your inventory into the right places ?(especially with ammo etc). I am not sure what the stock ammo thingy does.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
The "sort ammo" option puts all your ammo in the boxes and "stock" puts it all from the boxes to the racks

I'm not sure about ammo. I've just been putting the ammo I'm not using in the containers and then hitting stock. If it glitches out just take all the ammo off the racks and containers, hit stock to clear the racks and then use the containers to restock.

It works for me but yeah, it seems a bit buggy.

HOTLANTA MAN fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jul 4, 2012

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
I really want to make an update to Lombard Station with Armory support but I just haven't had the time to do so. That, and I need to convince PA to create a script to automate the creation of all the static objects we'd need in the esm and he's too lazy counting his ants or something.

Arenovalis
Dec 8, 2010

Started doing the grenade launcher :v:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Hey, the "Beyond Boulder Dome" beta has just been released. According to their page, it's pretty much the entire mod, sans some VA and polish.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Hey, the "Beyond Boulder Dome" beta has just been released. According to their page, it's pretty much the entire mod, sans some VA and polish.

I see poo poo like that and get super excited for finishing my vanilla playthrough so I can go loving crazy and install all these mods and have a crazy game.

Then I load up and spend a bit of time trying to escape from Old World Blues before exiting.

Arenovalis
Dec 8, 2010

Little more for today. Gotta get some sleep +__+

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Arenovalis posted:

Little more for today. Gotta get some sleep +__+

As usual, that's looking really good. As usual, you'd probably do wonders for the energy weapons. You improved the mesh for the M79-style grenade launcher, right? Have you done that with this, and are you still using the original texture resolutions?