Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Quetzal-Coital posted:

Man I thought I was awesome but apparently I just don't "get" this game.
I can't hit people with bullet weapons, My spinfusor shots don't seem to connect either, my turrets die instantly, I die instantly to other people's turrets.

I just don't get it. I don't even understand how you can fractal spam, you only get one...

Sorry to sound whiny, I was just really good at Tribes 1 and 2, and now this is like some foreign crazy land to me for some reason.

Well, about the Fractal spam, you get a second fractal grenade as part of the weapon leveling system IIRC, and the Safety Third perk can give you another.

As always, with all weapons in this game, landing shots is a matter of being familiar with your weapon's projectile speed and compensating for both that and your enemy's speed and direction. It'll click. Try focusing on one weapon, familiarizing yourself with the projectile.

As far as turrets go, they're very fragile and usually go down with a single direct Spinfusor hit. If one or more enemy turrets catch you by surprise, relax, aim carefully, and focus fire. They'll go down in a flash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
So I just had my first CTF match on Crossfire as Grenade Launcher/Jammer Raider... :hawaaaafap:
It was also fun leading heavys on merry chases underneath their ship, and then pulling out my SMG to remind them "oh look I can murder you accurately too"... Or, pulling out my grenade launcher against people I was using my SMG on to remind them "Oh look, I can just shoot the entire map around your feet." There will be no going up your glowy elevator unexploded while I'm around.

Quetzal-Coital posted:

Man I thought I was awesome but apparently I just don't "get" this game.
I can't hit people with bullet weapons, My spinfusor shots don't seem to connect either, my turrets die instantly, I die instantly to other people's turrets.

I just don't get it. I don't even understand how you can fractal spam, you only get one...

Sorry to sound whiny, I was just really good at Tribes 1 and 2, and now this is like some foreign crazy land to me for some reason.
It's cool. I had the same issues. First, bullets have different physics than the other projectile weapons. If you spend some time with the Doombringer's chaingun, or anything with a looong fire time it seems to help you get used to it. At least with me, because since your aim isn't interrupted every 2 seconds to reload you can keep your aim on a target once you nail it. After some time with Doom's chanigun, my Tech SMG, Infiltrator Rhino, and Soldier AR play improved.

I still suck with projectile bullet weapons in long distance high speed chases where everyone is zig zagging around. but when you force them to play it at your speed or its around or in a base, I'm much better now.

As for "only get one fractal", everyone only gets one belt item at first. All of your gear, even your class itself (armor) need to rank up with experience to get better. Fractals progression goes +1 Ammo, +10% radius, +10% Radius. you'd get that second fractal in just a match or two with all this bonus experience.

There is also the Saftey Third Primary Perk, which gives you an extra belt item by default, and the rank ups increase belt item radius and in the end let you place an extra mine out at once (if you were using mines). However, you want Bounty Hunter if you want to be a kamikaze fractal spammer.

Bounty hunter is... +100 a kill at base. Then +100 more per kill as it ranks up, and ANOTHER +100 for Belt item kills (as in, your fractals) with Bounty Hunter mastered. Plus when you die first, grenades that kill people post death give the +200 Aftermath bonus :pseudo:

Tech turrets are like glass. One direct shot from most explosive weapons will one-shot them. And you can shoot them from outside their range. the only time they are dangerous is when they are in a cluster across an area they can cover eachother (not allowed to put them too close together). Or when they are in spots you can't properly avoid them.

EDIT: So beaten.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jul 6, 2012

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
Juggulator on Drydock is the silliest thing. You can shell the base from like 4 different cliffs without line of sight and clear the entire flat area around the flag :getin:. I just played a game where I got 22 kills, with 3 orbital strikes. And in my previous three games as jug I had no kills. I wasn't even using the MIRV, just stock everything. About halfway through the enemy built a squad of 2 doombringers and a techie in a shrike to kill me every time I showed up. I don't know why they used DMBs either.
Is the mortar upgrade worth the money? How much less splash does it do compared to the increase in damage?

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Edit: ^^^^ The Mortar/MIRV/Mortar Deluxe argument comes down mostly to the range you like to shoot from and the specific map. Mortar Deluxe is the best at extreme distance and maps with small stands, MIRV is best at medium distances and on maps with large stands that you want to clear an entire area, regular mortar is closer distances.

There's also Looter, which gives you 2 belt items for each little dead person nugget thingy. It also allows your maximum belt items to be 1 higher than default, and you can almost always find one of those at your base before you go on your fractal run.

fermun fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jul 6, 2012

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

People use that support ticket for everything. :ssh:

I think I can sniff out some .ini values that might be causing the framerate weirdness, there's a lot of silliness that goes on with the higher graphical presets. What's the highest graphical preset you can manage with a decent framerate?

Very low?

On low it's mostly stable but when i look across the whole map it generally dips to 30. which is "ok" i guess

after playing for a bunch though the game's not even a sort of semblance of balanced anymore. Playing pathfinder is an exercise in random explosives instantly killing you and infiltrator has literally the worst two weapons in the entire game and somehow they have yet to make the melee hit detection anything less than absolute pinpoint precise or a minor scruff on your shoulder

also catabatic :smith:

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
While I'm here, what are some good shelling grounds in Tartarus and Kabatic? They both have hills near the base, but in both cases the hills have enemy spawns on them which is a problem.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

While I'm here, what are some good shelling grounds in Tartarus and Kabatic? They both have hills near the base, but in both cases the hills have enemy spawns on them which is a problem.

For Tartarus I always plant myself on top of the roots of the tree that sits above their hill-spawn. For Katabatic, the hills where the two towers sit are good.

Katabatic:

Tartarus:

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jul 6, 2012

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
On Katabatic, the mortar deluxe can hit both flag stands from the top area of the tower on the left, if looking at DS from BE.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Mister Snips posted:

infiltrator has literally the worst two weapons in the entire game
What weapons would those be? I can't think of a single infiltrator weapon that is bad, and the jackal is one of the best weapons in the game.

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

This galaxy only has room for one karaoke champ.

Wadjamaloo posted:

What weapons would those be? I can't think of a single infiltrator weapon that is bad, and the jackal is one of the best weapons in the game.

Rhino and arctic rhino I guess since they fill the same role as both secondary slot weapons on the class. If he means the SN7 he's wrong.

Muey
Sep 21, 2006

SPARKLE POWER

LaserShark posted:

I'm not quite getting all the 'ignore the generator' stuff. While it's down, Doombringer forcefields, tech turrets, radars, everything's kaput. Isn't it better to have those up than down?
They're nice to have, but not so nice enough to be worth removing 3 bodies from the flagstand. Even more so if the enemy is constantly humping your gen with 4+ guys. Suddenly, your team has 7+ manpower advantage (hopefully) doing stuff that actually matters compared to the enemy team!

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

I don't think fractals are particularly unbalanced. I do think Extended Fractals are objectively better and should probably be toned down a bit.
The active time difference between extended and standard fractal is only 1 second - There's hardly anything to "tone down".

In itself though, fractals are bullshit as long as friendly fire remain off. It's really infuriating trying to play stand D against a duo of brutes who know they just need to keep you at a safe distance for their capper to get through. Each run is like 20+ seconds of completely open flag stand if you don't have teammates to keep them distracted.

Muey fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jul 6, 2012

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Adrian Owlsley posted:

Rhino and arctic rhino I guess since they fill the same role as both secondary slot weapons on the class. If he means the SN7 he's wrong.
I'd agree that you are better off taking the Spin or jackal over either Rhino, just for versatility, but the Rhino is by no means a bad weapon.

Modrasone
Jul 27, 2008

HE WANTS THIS AND SO SHOULD YOU!

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

I had a string of awful games as raider, culminating in a 0 and 15 game that was 20 mins of failure. Feeling terrible, I switch to jug for the heck of it. Nail the enemy flag capper on his own stand twice in a row without direct LOS and it's all worth it. Time to be a fat tool forever.

As someone who plays HoF, it's quite possible for an enemy Raider to go 0-15 and be one of the most annoying players on the other team. If you're harassing the enemy stand throw all expectations about K/D out of the window. Focus on shooting the flag to remove mines, shooting forcefields and then try to focus on staying alive rather than fragging and buzz around like annoying little bee for as long as possible. If you can make me look the other way while a PTH comes in on a run, you've done one of the most important and under-done jobs in the game.

The best way to really play hell with the HoF - make your first target Inventory Stations. If I've got one and you clear my flag of Mines and Forcefields then die, I just hop to it and get more and all you've done is clear the stand for 10 seconds. If you take the station down first, especially early in the round when I've not got the points for another one, you've forced me to suicide or have a stand with nothing on it.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Tribes is somewhat unique in that KDR really isn't a good metric for anything.
It's possible be the MVP of your team in just about any position except sniper and still have a negative KDR.
Really at the end of the day the only thing that matters is the flag. If whatever you are doing is not in some way a) helping your team get the enemy flag, or b) defending your own flag, you should probably do something else.

trw
Dec 24, 2003
I've just started to play something better for my team than engineer and is rolling with defensive soldier. Any tips on when to engage/stay on flag? I'm using Super Heavy to take over if the doombringer is off the stand or if there is none at all but I still don't have a good sense of when to leave and chase the enemy offence or when to stay put.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I guess the game doesn't want me to leave the Brute out in the cold in favor of funtime Raider antics (I bought and ranked up the Brute supply pack on principle). So oh hey, Nova Colt only like, 86 Gold. Yes please.

Also, last sale was LAR, got that. I guess now that I've actually started to SPEND gold, (starting with a 3 day boost) it's giving me items I'd want, probably hoping I'll throw another :10bux: at the game.

Every so often I get a serious business HoF yelling at me that attacking the Generator won't get us any caps. One of them took the response "sitting on our flagstand won't get us caps either" in good humor at least (that one, I admitted to that he was being more of a team player than I was). With the Jammer pack and grenade launcher though, it's not like I can't and won't make an easy low risk trip to obliterate all turrets, and their sensor on the way to the Generator. Not to mention spamming grenades at the flagstand to clear items and idiots too stupid to move away from the explosives.

Plus if they got 4 or 6 guys sitting in their own generator room, I'm doing something right by making them do something wrong. Wow I shouldn't have gotten that many kills just walking around the bottom of the Raindance base. I just ourtight ignored the three turrets for a while down on the floor with me thanks to Jammer pack, and grenade spam induced deaths keeping my energy constant thanks to survivalist.

The techs kept putting down a turret first thing when jumping down after me :3: Silly techs, I guess they forgot that even if they don't have a thumper, they got hand grenades (or, can switch out their Motion sensors for them). Then an infiltrator from our team came along and oh my goodness the carnage...

Up until the fractals at least. To be fair, whenever our base on tartarus gets 3 or 4 heavies camping it I just switch over to Safety Third Brute and clear out the entire room with a single fractal party.

Raider isn't exactly Hard when it's against a situation I can just go crazy and get results. But then, it's still more thought involved than Fractal diving with my brute.

EDIT: Speaking of skill, That NJ5-B looks awesome, but I know with the vastly lower Rate of fire I probably wouldn't be hitting things nearly as much as I do with the Stock... I may grab it anyways before this weekend is over because I am on SUCH a raider kick right now.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Jul 6, 2012

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president

trw posted:

I've just started to play something better for my team than engineer and is rolling with defensive soldier. Any tips on when to engage/stay on flag? I'm using Super Heavy to take over if the doombringer is off the stand or if there is none at all but I still don't have a good sense of when to leave and chase the enemy offence or when to stay put.

Other people who play d more than I can feel free to chime in, but I'd say the goal is to engage with non-capping players as little as possible. In fact I think you could even split things into a roaming defense that goes after juggs and distractions, and the on flag d that is spotting cappers and trying to chain them down / body block them (do this by jetting into them as they come into the stand, takes a bit of practice but it's devastating when you can do it) while ignoring everything else.

Doing either of these roles by itself will be very helpful, and I'd probably switch between them based on what the opposing team is doing, but I would recommend trying to stick to one or the other within a single life. The goal of the offense will be to get you to come after them and leave the flag behind, try not to indulge them unless you would otherwise die.

If you mean chase as in the flag carrier, don't even bother chasing with soldier unless it's a llama and you are the only person around I guess. Leave the chasing to someone else so you can be in position when the flag comes home. However, in the cases where it's just you and maybe a fatty defending, you may want to swap out soldier to pth and do some chasing with that.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

What kind of grenade should soldier be packing?

Muey
Sep 21, 2006

SPARKLE POWER
This is a really good general guide by a comp player for anyone looking to play defense as soldier:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f117qOjuBn8

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Social Animal posted:

What kind of grenade should soldier be packing?

All soldier grenades except the proximity one are good, it's mostly a matter of preference. I like the short fuse grenade.

trw
Dec 24, 2003

Muey posted:

This is a really good general guide by a comp player for anyone looking to play defense as soldier:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f117qOjuBn8

Thanks for this, now it's time to jet towards people on publics and look like an idiot when I miss for a while :)

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Anyone who thinks Infs have bad weapons is either 1) playing against a terrible Inf or 2) Hasn't been playing Inf long enough to realize how loving amazing the weapons are. There is nothing better than being able to lob some stickies then scoot around a corner to detonate, same for air mailing people by detonating your shots mid-air. Seriously the Jackal is probably one of the best weapons in the game for the amount of versatility it provides. There's almost no reason to avoid using it.

Inf generates so much rage it's amazing. By far my favorite class, almost never play anything else. I am the bane of generator rooms :black101:

Until people show up spamming fractals all over the loving place :eng99:.

E: If your team needs some quick defensive help don't be afraid to booby trap your own flag with stickies and detonate the poo poo out of whatever poor pathfinder decided he wanted to go for that flag. Watching people explode at 300+K is boss.

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jul 6, 2012

Varicelli
Jan 24, 2009
Hey guys, I've been playing a bunch of this to day and, at the risk of turning opinion, I have to say; am I missing something, or is this game just pay to win?

time is a wastin
Sep 11, 2011

Mister Snips posted:

Very low?

On low it's mostly stable but when i look across the whole map it generally dips to 30. which is "ok" i guess

after playing for a bunch though the game's not even a sort of semblance of balanced anymore. Playing pathfinder is an exercise in random explosives instantly killing you and infiltrator has literally the worst two weapons in the entire game and somehow they have yet to make the melee hit detection anything less than absolute pinpoint precise or a minor scruff on your shoulder

also catabatic :smith:

Edit youre tribes ini and set dynamiclights to false. Makes the shading of everything basically look like crap (as if you set the contrast super low) but it massively increases frames per second, allowing for even sicker blasting.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Varicelli posted:

Hey guys, I've been playing a bunch of this to day and, at the risk of turning opinion, I have to say; am I missing something, or is this game just pay to win?

No. The money-exclusive items are unique skins for models.

Tossing out a tenner to level up a lot faster and get gold to spend helps a lot, but it's not essential.

Muey
Sep 21, 2006

SPARKLE POWER

Varicelli posted:

The stock loadouts range from decent to good depending on what you want to do. Sure it'll take some time to upgrade even the default equipment to max level (armor upgrades should be priority), but you can't speed that up with gold, you have to use XP. At the start you'll be more hamstrung by lack of good perks (reach/ego for pathfinders, survivalist for soldier/jugg) than by the weapons at your disposal.

Some equipment on a number of classes are notably better than the default options though, but they can all be purchased with XP, and no gameplay items are gold exclusive.

Is this game a grind without spending money? Yes, yes it is, and at times it can be frustrating going up against dudes with their ferrari while you're tugging along in your toyota corolla, trying to save precious pennies for a chance to rice it up a bit. Regardless of that I still wouldn't throw down the P2W card, because you can unlock all that same equipment by grinding XP in a somewhat "reasonable" time (reasonable as in there is a heavy incentive to at least spend some money on the game to obtain VIP status for the perma XP boost).

time is a wastin
Sep 11, 2011
The only truly crappy stuff they start you out with are the perks. Everything else the three starting classes have is ok enough to be effective.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Also all the gold and xp in the game won't make you better at skiing/capping/using the weapons. It's very skill based and that's good. Some weapons are way too expensive though xp wise, so I don't regret having spend the 10$ on the steam starter pack which also gave me 800 gold to use on good daily deals.

My current one is the tech thumper at 30% off. Come on game, I know you can do better than that.

Free Chicken
Jan 16, 2006

Buglord
What do you guys think of a heavy bolt launcher doombringer playing hof? What's the pros and cons compared to chaingun/titan?

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Varicelli posted:

Yeah, gonna join in the echo chamber and say almost nothing about this game is P2W. If you're getting killed constantly it isn't because your weapons are bad, it's because you're not moving/shooting properly.

Don't know how new you are to the game but tribes has a decently high skill ceiling and until you get a good handle on a particular class/weapon/playstyle it's going to feel like you're underpowered a lot.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Free Chicken posted:

What do you guys think of a heavy bolt launcher doombringer playing hof? What's the pros and cons compared to chaingun/titan?

Pro (?): Turns you into a Brute with shields and mines instead of fractals and a viable sidearm.

Con: Replaces one of the best weapons in the game.

The HBL is fun and cool, but there aren't many situations where I'd recommend it over that crazy chaingun.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Free Chicken posted:

I've never seen anyone do it seriously. If they don't play chaingun, they usually do soldier on flag. I have seen a few dudes who use x1-Jugg to HoF, but it's very rare.

The constant fire and dps of the chain can't be beaten by the bolt launcher. If you really want a weapon like that: get the Titan. And really, as much as I like the Titan, the saber is more useful for spotting incoming cappers.

Quickpull
Mar 1, 2003

We're all mad here.
The Raider's plasma gun is so expensive, is it worth it? I played around with it in target practice but the grenade launcher just seemed better all around.

TriggerHappy
Mar 14, 2007

I've been playing doombringer almost exclusively, and I finally unlocked mines. At rank 9, in the CTF map with the force dome over the flag, my shields and mines fended off cappers for a solid 5 minutes before they started sending 2 or 3 at a time. At which point I just started getting double and triple kills, just by replacing mines asap and taking pot shots with the chain cannon. I'm sure we had decent people up in mid so they weren't able to take down our gen or get any significant firepower against my force shields, but it felt so good to be a defensive powerhouse and stop every single cap.

I know that's probably the best map to play defensive doombringer but holy hell, mines are amazing.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Varicelli posted:

Paying makes the early game much less grindy (boost), the later game somewhat less grindy (VIP), but otherwise has no effect.

Except that the Assassin skin for Infiltrator has no melee sound.

Malloc Voidstar fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jul 6, 2012

time is a wastin
Sep 11, 2011

Quickpull posted:

The Raider's plasma gun is so expensive, is it worth it? I played around with it in target practice but the grenade launcher just seemed better all around.

PLasma guns good if you wanna shoot other dudes mostly and maybe also take some shots at turrets and stuff. The grenade launcher will be a lot better for hitting the base and turrets and stuff though, and maybe for running around indoors too.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
If I'm looking to play a Doombringer for flagstand defense and bodyblocking, is LV3 Super Heavy a necessity? I've had cappers nab the flag right as I was on it, even without knocking me off the stand with a disc or whatever.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Plasma Gun is really good because when you get used to the fire rate and projectile speed/hitbox, you can repeatedly nail people in midair and make everyone want to die. You're sacrificing anti-vehicle/asset power for a lot more combat flexibility.

I personally can't stand using the Plasma Gun. It just feels off.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

toasterwarrior posted:

If I'm looking to play a Doombringer for flagstand defense and bodyblocking, is LV3 Super Heavy a necessity? I've had cappers nab the flag right as I was on it, even without knocking me off the stand with a disc or whatever.

They may have been running Reach. Try and Jet into them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

toasterwarrior posted:

I would definitely say that super heavy is a must. Body blocking can not only stop the capper, but get you an instant return if you stand a little behind the flag (this makes it easier to block: just keep the flag between you and the capper, then jump into them). I'm pretty sure even mstarr uses safety third/super heavy.

• Locked thread