Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Ron Jeremy posted:

Didn't he try to cure his own cancer by jumping the line for a transplant? He lived years longer than most people diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. That poo poo is nasty.

He also believed in several alternative therapies that delayed treatment that might have staved it off entirely. By the time he started accepting mainstream treatments, it was basically too late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yehudis Basya
Jul 27, 2006

THE BEST HEADMISTRESS EVER
Hah, looks like some secular evil-utionists got into the article on dogs.

conservapedia posted:

Fossils of canine skulls smaller than those of wolves have been found with human artifacts, with dates based on evolutionary assumptions estimated to between 130,000 and 190,000 years ago.[1] whilst DNA evidence has been used to suggest that dogs diverged from wolves between 100,000 and 135,000 years ago.[1] [2] Secular archeology has placed the earliest known domestication at potentially 12,000 BC-10,000 BC and with certainty at 7,000 BC. [3]

There are non-conservapedia references and everything. This must not stand. Conservative, to the rescue!

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Yehudis Basya posted:

Hah, looks like some secular evil-utionists got into the article on dogs.

There are non-conservapedia references and everything. This must not stand. Conservative, to the rescue!

This makes me wonder how many Conservapedia users are just sad nerds trying to improve it like it was a legitimate project. It's easy for someone to get hooked into swarm projects like wikis, always trying to make them the best they can be. Someone who's just focused on their own pet articles might not even notice all the insane poo poo that resides on the other pages.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I think those people were run out a long time ago. I'm sure it had many people who came to it thinking "oh I'm a piece of poo poo conservative and I think wikipedia has a bias on articles like the gay agenda! This is a good idea, it will be a factual wiki just without the LIBERAL bias!" and then gets run out for admitting to believe the theory of relativity.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

colonelslime posted:

He also believed in several alternative therapies that delayed treatment that might have staved it off entirely. By the time he started accepting mainstream treatments, it was basically too late.

It's usually too late by the time pancreatic cancer is diagnosed. I think he beat the odds for longer than most people without infinite cash.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Ron Jeremy posted:

Didn't he try to cure his own cancer by jumping the line for a transplant? He lived years longer than most people diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. That poo poo is nasty.

There's even some speculation that he gave away a mansion to skip the line. (The doctor that took care of him is now living in his house.)

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Ron Jeremy posted:

It's usually too late by the time pancreatic cancer is diagnosed. I think he beat the odds for longer than most people without infinite cash.

Not saying you're entirely wrong, but Jobs' form of pancreatic cancer was part of the slow-growing variety, about 5% of diagnoses. At that point he might have been able to have it cured through conventional therapies, or surgery. He ignored doctor's advice and treatment for a full 9 months, which pretty much killed what little chance he had.

link to article describing it in Forbes: http://www.forbes.com/sites/alicegwalton/2011/10/24/steve-jobs-cancer-treatment-regrets/

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

President Anime 2008 posted:

Also pointed out that pure sodium and pure chlorine are pretty drat terrible for humans to ingest but guess what, sodium chloride doesn't make you die a horrible death when you eat a couple of grams of it every day (although not eating enough of it, or too much of it, can obviously cause a horrible death). This sort of thing doesn't occur to anti-vaccination conspiracy nuts, but I was pretty surprised that he listened and agreed to go and read up credible sources on the 'controversy'.

Haha, I've used the salt argument also.

Ordinary table salt is composed of a highly reactive metal and a deadly poisonous gas. Don't be fooled by Big Salt!

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

colonelslime posted:

Not saying you're entirely wrong, but Jobs' form of pancreatic cancer was part of the slow-growing variety, about 5% of diagnoses. At that point he might have been able to have it cured through conventional therapies, or surgery. He ignored doctor's advice and treatment for a full 9 months, which pretty much killed what little chance he had.

link to article describing it in Forbes: http://www.forbes.com/sites/alicegwalton/2011/10/24/steve-jobs-cancer-treatment-regrets/

That really sucks. My wife lost her mom relatively recently to pancreatic cancer. She was a tough old broad and probably suffered a great deal before she finally went to see a doctor. From initial diagnosis to her passing was less than a month. While hard for everyone involved, I have to wonder if it wasn't better than lingering on through chemo.

gently caress cancer. Especially that kind.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Be interesting to see how their article on Jonathan Krohn changes now that Krohn has openly declared that he was wrong to be Conservative and now supports Obama.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Parahexavoctal posted:

Be interesting to see how their article on Jonathan Krohn changes now that Krohn has openly declared that he was wrong to be Conservative and now supports Obama.

Commie stooge brainwashed by Big Union teachers and seduced away from proper Christian morality by secularists, and/or gay.

Conservative, of course, will find a way to mention how he's also flabby and lacks machismo.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Parahexavoctal posted:

This was actually brought up on the main talk page:

Yehudis Basya
Jul 27, 2006

But the actual page on Krohn remains unsullied with his new liberal ways!

Rose Wreck
Jun 15, 2012

CellBlock posted:

There's even some speculation that he gave away a mansion to skip the line. (The doctor that took care of him is now living in his house.)

If I understand right, he just did the equivalent of getting into a couple lines at once. He didn't shaft anyone who'd been waiting first, he just took a route that isn't available to most people because they don't have his money.

Last I heard it wasn't clear if alternate medicine really damaged his odds that much, although it was also completely useless.

I also like that Andy flat-out says that if you're not properly insulated you get Ideas, and that's bad.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Yehudis Basya posted:

But the actual page on Krohn remains unsullied with his new liberal ways!
Of course, if it doesn't make their narrow brand of Conservatism look better it would be misleading to add it, possibly outright fraud.

Lenski! :argh:

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010

Rose Wreck posted:

If I understand right, he just did the equivalent of getting into a couple lines at once. He didn't shaft anyone who'd been waiting first, he just took a route that isn't available to most people because they don't have his money.

Last I heard it wasn't clear if alternate medicine really damaged his odds that much, although it was also completely useless.

I also like that Andy flat-out says that if you're not properly insulated you get Ideas, and that's bad.

But that's still wrong, because the vast, vast majority of people can't afford two (or more) separate residences so that they can get on the transplant lists in multiple states. The transplant lists and methods are supposed to be structured so that wealth doesn't factor in to determinations of who gets what organ, but Jobs flaunted the imperfections in the system (i.e. that it's state by state, rather than national) to help himself. Why should Jobs have gotten a liver when some middle class or poor person couldn't get a liver the same way?

Fly
Nov 3, 2002

moral compass

Davethulhu posted:

Haha, I've used the salt argument also.

Ordinary table salt is composed of a highly reactive metal and a deadly poisonous gas. Don't be fooled by Big Salt!

NaCl salt in ordinary doses is fine and even necessary. I'm not aware of anything saying that even a little extra mercury in an an organic compound is beneficial for people, and consuming as much methyl mercury as one does NaCl would be a Bad Idea. [TM] So while claiming that the amount of of organomercury in vaccines is not harmful, comparing it to table salt is absurd.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Fly posted:

NaCl salt in ordinary doses is fine and even necessary. I'm not aware of anything saying that even a little extra mercury in an an organic compound is beneficial for people, and consuming as much methyl mercury as one does NaCl would be a Bad Idea. [TM] So while claiming that the amount of of organomercury in vaccines is not harmful, comparing it to table salt is absurd.

Just because the analogy isn't perfect doesn't make the comparison absurd. The point is that a molecule containing an element dangerous on its own isn't necessarily dangerous at every possible dose, and the use of table salt is to illustrate that fact. There aren't that many molecules that the average person knows the composition of, but most people know at least that salt is sodium chloride and that chlorine is deadly.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Bruce Leroy posted:

But that's still wrong, because the vast, vast majority of people can't afford two (or more) separate residences so that they can get on the transplant lists in multiple states. The transplant lists and methods are supposed to be structured so that wealth doesn't factor in to determinations of who gets what organ, but Jobs flaunted the imperfections in the system (i.e. that it's state by state, rather than national) to help himself. Why should Jobs have gotten a liver when some middle class or poor person couldn't get a liver the same way?

Because he has money.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
The Jobs thing was a case of 'it's not breaking any rules, but it's a real poo poo move that most of the people in his situation can't really do'.

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010

Idran posted:

Just because the analogy isn't perfect doesn't make the comparison absurd. The point is that a molecule containing an element dangerous on its own isn't necessarily dangerous at every possible dose, and the use of table salt is to illustrate that fact. There aren't that many molecules that the average person knows the composition of, but most people know at least that salt is sodium chloride and that chlorine is deadly.

The other way the analogy works is that there really isn't much evidence that thimerisol (the mercury-based compound that was once used as an anti-fungal preservative in vaccines) itself is harmful to humans, the alarm was based on what other forms of pure methyl- and ethylmercury have been found to do in humans. It's like being alarmist about table salt because of some study about the dangers of another compound containing sodium.

Glitterbomber posted:

The Jobs thing was a case of 'it's not breaking any rules, but it's a real poo poo move that most of the people in his situation can't really do'.

Yes, he technically didn't break any rules, but he did violate the spirit and intent of transplant regulations. It's actually kind of a good thing because he was such a well-known guy that it really brought this loophole into light, whereas there are probably many more rich people who aren't well known but who still exploit the same loophole. There really need to be national regulations preventing this kind rich rear end in a top hat douchebaggery.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

President Anime 2008 posted:

Rubbing something in people's noses only makes them more attached to their beliefs. People generally really hate being wrong.

At least I managed to convince this guy that there isn't literally a big old dose of mercury in vaccinations, that it's part of the preservative (thiomersal) that prevents fungal contamination and doesn't poison the poo poo out of humans, especially in such tiny quantities, and that Wakefield is a corrupt, massively evil bastard responsible for the entirely preventable deaths of children in order to try and make some cash on new medical tests.

Also pointed out that pure sodium and pure chlorine are pretty drat terrible for humans to ingest but guess what, sodium chloride doesn't make you die a horrible death when you eat a couple of grams of it every day (although not eating enough of it, or too much of it, can obviously cause a horrible death). This sort of thing doesn't occur to anti-vaccination conspiracy nuts, but I was pretty surprised that he listened and agreed to go and read up credible sources on the 'controversy'.

Looks like you were wrong though, because thiomersal is highly toxic, bad for the environment and for these reasons is being phased out of use in vaccines. Also your analogy doesn't hold, because mercury is toxic in any form, isn't required in any metabolic cycle, can accumulate in body tissues and basicaly shouldn't go anywhere near a living organism.

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010

grate deceiver posted:

Looks like you were wrong though, because thiomersal is highly toxic, bad for the environment and for these reasons is being phased out of use in vaccines. Also your analogy doesn't hold, because mercury is toxic in any form, isn't required in any metabolic cycle, can accumulate in body tissues and basicaly shouldn't go anywhere near a living organism.

Actually, thimerosol is extremely safe and there's no actual evidence that it was harming anyone when it was used with vaccines (which is actually quite complicated, having to due with the amount used, its half-life in the body, which tissues it allegedly accumulates in, etc.). The reason it was removed from vaccines is due to all the anti-vax hysteria. Governments, doctors, etc. would rather remove a useful component like thimerosol than for its presence to result in lower rates of vaccination, i.e. the benefit provided by thimerosol is outweighed by its reputation if it causes people not to get vaccines. It's more important that kids get vaccines so they don't get highly infectious diseases like mumps and measles than whether thimerosol is being used as an anti-fungal preservative.

Rose Wreck
Jun 15, 2012

Bruce Leroy posted:

I have more sympathy for him because that was his shot at living... and while he may have had an unfair advantage, he couldn't make life fair and give organs to everyone, either.

Seriously, if you were dying and had gobs of money I don't think you'd pass up something that could save your life, even if not everyone could.

Also if this thread is seriously turning into Conservapedia-style anti-vaccine paranoia: the whole reason thimerosal is being phased out of vaccines is in response to the fear that it causes autism. There isn't any medically supported reason for it. The autism rate has not gone down in response.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
I'm not saying that a vaccine with thiomersal would outright kill you. It metabolises to ethylomercury and I would consider having ethylomercury in your body that can freely pass the blood-brain and placental barriers to be generally a bad idea (ethylmercury does not accumulate though, that was my mistake). I mean, at this point every person in the world is constantly exposed to mercury in one way or another and we should maybe try to minimize it when possible.

It's also classified by GHS as having a very toxic efffect on aquatic life.

Most likely doesn't cause autism though.

Rose Wreck
Jun 15, 2012

grate deceiver posted:

I'm not saying that a vaccine with thiomersal would outright kill you. It metabolises to ethylomercury and I would consider having ethylomercury in your body that can freely pass the blood-brain and placental barriers to be generally a bad idea (ethylmercury does not accumulate though, that was my mistake). I mean, at this point every person in the world is constantly exposed to mercury in one way or another and we should maybe try to minimize it when possible.

The amount couldn't have gotten any smaller. It was a minute amount in a shot that you initially get once in your life. Maybe you get a few boosters years down the road. Since we're talking vaccines given to primarily male and female children I am not that worried by the placental-barrier thing.

It's a trade-off, too. It wasn't in the vaccine for no reason, it was to improve the safety of something that prevented potentially fatal or crippling or brain-damaging diseases from whipping through the population. And if it doesn't accumulate it really doesn't have any relation to mercury poisoning.

But yes. You should not put it in your fishtank.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

grate deceiver posted:

Most likely doesn't cause autism though.

Being the oldest of 5 by 10 years, I was in my teens while my younger siblings were in school during the whole MMR debate, my mother being at the time a new age middle class hippie wanna-be got totaly taken with this autism link poo poo. So let me say this:

VACINES DO NOT IN ANY WAY CAUSE AUTISM

No maybe's, no likelys, there is NO link, it was proved time after time after time after time. The only doc saying anything of the sort was proven as a loving shill and struck off from the medical register.

Rose Wreck
Jun 15, 2012

Pound_Coin posted:

VACINES DO NOT IN ANY WAY CAUSE AUTISM

No maybe's, no likelys, there is NO link, it was proved time after time after time after time. The only doc saying anything of the sort was proven as a loving shill and struck off from the medical register.

Lord, I didn't even see that.

Taking a look at the talk edit page for vaccines.

Conservapedia seems mostly accurate and has admitted Wakefield is fraudulent after only one revert, but I'm wondering how that "VACCINE CAUSES AUTISM IN MONKEYS!!!" person down at the bottom will fare.

(The study has been debunked repeatedly and involved three monkeys. If anyone can explain to me how to tell a regular captive monkey from an "autistic" captive monkey I will be fascinated. :allears:)

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
e: woah, a whole page happened there

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Rose Wreck posted:

Lord, I didn't even see that.

Taking a look at the talk edit page for vaccines.

Conservapedia seems mostly accurate and has admitted Wakefield is fraudulent after only one revert, but I'm wondering how that "VACCINE CAUSES AUTISM IN MONKEYS!!!" person down at the bottom will fare.

(The study has been debunked repeatedly and involved three monkeys. If anyone can explain to me how to tell a regular captive monkey from an "autistic" captive monkey I will be fascinated. :allears:)

The monkeys got on to Tumblr and started self-identifying as autistic as an excuse for their crippling social anxiety, obviously.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

colonelslime posted:

The monkeys got on to Tumblr and started self-identifying as autistic as an excuse for their crippling social anxiety, obviously.

Fauxtistics! :argh:

Yehudis Basya
Jul 27, 2006

Can we stop derailing with pseudoscience claptrap and get back to conservapedia? Here's their Conservative Bible Project.

Their notions of translation make me quite sad. In the article I linked, they're obsessed with word count as a metric (and seemingly only metric) for translation difficulty.

Conservapedia Bible Project posted:

How long would this project take? There are about 8000 verses in the New Testament. At a careful rate of translating about four verses an hour, it would take one person 2000 hours, or about one year working full time on the project.

There are 66 books in the KJV, comprised of 1,189 chapters, 31,102 verses, and 788,280 words.[12] The project could begin with translation of the New Testament, which is only 27 books, 260 chapters, 7,957 verses, and less than 200,000 words.

Retranslation at rate of 20 verses a day would complete the entire New Testament in about a year. With 5 good retranslators, that would be an average of only 4 verses a day per translator. At a faster rate of 20 verses per day by 5 good translators, the entire New Testament could be retranslated in less than 3 months.

What the hell? Number of words is pretty loving orthogonal to translation difficulty and even time it takes to translate. Want a fast translation? Give me 1000 words of simple prose rather than 200 words of complex verse. Uggghhhhhhh. They are also completely ignoring the vast amount of commentaries from over the past millenium and beyond that have been arguing about what a given verse means (and that's just the "Jewish" part).

It pains me. Pains me!!!!!!!!!

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Yehudis Basya posted:

Can we stop derailing with pseudoscience claptrap and get back to conservapedia? Here's their Conservative Bible Project.

I still love the hubris of these self-admitted conservatives i n trying to rewrite the unchanging word of god. Like, don't they see how this undermines all the Bible's claims to legitimacy, if they claim that everyone else before them was just wrong?

Rose Wreck
Jun 15, 2012

Yehudis Basya posted:

Can we stop derailing with pseudoscience claptrap and get back to conservapedia?

Hey! My psuedoscience was from conservapedia!

Dipping into the Bible Project as suggested, I did find this. Whatever it means:

The English language, relatively weak at its beginning, continues to develop by adding insightful new terminology. These more precise and meaningful concepts should be utilized by English translations of the Bible. The King James Version was written in the early 1600s, and powerful terminology has been added to the English language since then, some in the past decade.

Shakespeare died in 1616. Imagine if he was still around to use the superior power of modern English. With terms like "wi-fi" and "fax machine" he could have penned some truly great works instead of whatever he did with his weaksauce language.

Now that "nothing" is not a euphemism anymore, "Much Ado About Nothing" is totally meaningless.

Yehudis Basya
Jul 27, 2006

colonelslime posted:

I still love the hubris of these self-admitted conservatives i n trying to rewrite the unchanging word of god. Like, don't they see how this undermines all the Bible's claims to legitimacy, if they claim that everyone else before them was just wrong?

Honestly, I think it's great that they want to re-translate the Bible. Translating stuff is awesome. I'm even willing to back off the word "hypocritical"- if they're observant enough to realize that translations are shadows of original text, then all the better.

What is so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, soooooo awful is how they're deliberately ignoring the substance of the verses so that they can write something that appeals to them politically. It's completely the opposite of a good translation method. As though Jesus or Avraham or whoever has a loving opinion on the state of political affairs in the United States of America in the 21st century.

One possible good that can come out of the project: students doing the translation might see how strange and non-obvious, or morally reprehensible, or totally not-in-line with their conceptions of Jesus, the verses are.

The second thing that is even more awful: I think we are supposed to presuppose that Schlafly is allowing students to do the translation, as opposed to Schlafly just sitting there with a copy of the King James Version (or other English-language versions) and a red pen (which is what I suspect he is doing). Just look at his examples of mistranslations:

Second Example - Dishonestly Shrewd posted:

At Luke 16:8, the NIV describes an enigmatic parable in which the "master commended the dishonest manager because he had acted shrewdly." But is "shrewdly", which has connotations of dishonesty, the best term here? Being dishonestly shrewd is not an admirable trait.

The better conservative term, which became available only in 1851, is "resourceful". The manager was praised for being "resourceful", which is very different from dishonesty. Yet not even the ESV, which was published in 2001, contains a single use of the term "resourceful" in its entire translation of the Bible.
DO YOU SEE ANY NON-ENGLISH WORD'S MEANING IN THERE BEING DEBATED? NO YOU DON'T AGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH. It's just loving Andy sitting there with an English book and a red pen, crossing out words as they offend him whatwith their apparently liberal tendencies.

Rose Wreck
Jun 15, 2012

Yehudis Basya posted:

Just look at his examples of mistranslations:

I don't care if the manager was commended for acting resourcefully, shrewdly, magnanimously, or monomoniacally; it still says right there in the beginning that he's dishonest.

"The dishonest manager was commended for acting honestly" flies in the face of the story. I'm surprised he didn't try to change it all in one go, but he's probably saving that for the second revision, where clearly the manager must have been honest because he was acting honestly.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Maybe poo poo got changed when Jesus took over, but I'm pretty sure God isn't down with people trying to rewrite his words for personal gains.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Since the purpose of the project is to retcon Jesus so that he's cool with rich people (and against health care and gays and whatever), I'm really looking forward to how they'll fix the passage before Jesus' remark about rich people and camels through eyes of needles.

You know, where there's a rich guy who says he'll do anything to please God as long as he gets to keep his money and Jesus flat out says that even though he appreciates the effort, he's still going to hell. :allears:

Voyeur
Dec 5, 2000
I like to watch.
[The] "master commended the resourceful manager because he had acted shrewdly."

Solved. Only a liberal could find fault with that interpretation of the Word of Gawd Hisself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Would a contemporary version of this be like a Priest opening an account with Bank of America, getting screwed by the way they prioritize transactions and then saying "these crooked bankers are truly geniuses, people who only care about money sure do know a lot about money compared to priests like me."

• Locked thread