Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

quote:

Speaking of Rogers.

I just moved into a condo building with its own postal code that is apparently missing from the Rogers database. Despite the fact that Rogers cabling and a Rogers inspection sticker is in MY FRONT CLOSET, dated from November, the company is insisting that they don't offer service at this location and never have.

Putting the code into their website generates an error, and I can't tell if they're broken or if that's just what they show people who can't get their service. Naturally Teksavvy is a bit useless at figuring this out, so while I'd love to just move our service over, the whole thing is problematic.

I'm getting pretty damned annoyed.

Alternatively, go to the canada post website and look up a postal code that's close by or adjacent and use that, and then change your billing address later. Might end up being easier than getting them to figure their poo poo out, and the installer is going to find you by street address anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Is anyone familiar with Teksavvy cable service in London, Ontario? I just got notification that they've 'upgraded', and I figure this is probably the best period of time to switch with the students all leaving for the summer.

Or maybe not switch, I dunno. I'm on Rogers' 95 GB service, using a modem that I bought when they first started offering them six-plus years ago, so I'm pretty sure my speeds are capped below what's available already. I've heard about them relaxing some sort of cap or another later this year, but I'll believe that when I see it.

And no, I haven't got TV service with them. I have 'emergency' cell service that offers negligible savings with their 'better bundle' scheme.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here

Bieeardo posted:

Is anyone familiar with Teksavvy cable service in London, Ontario? I just got notification that they've 'upgraded', and I figure this is probably the best period of time to switch with the students all leaving for the summer.

I been happy with their service. Was originally on 28Mb/1Mb but changed it recently to 18Mb/512kb since my usage dropped. Always got max speeds and good pings. I'm not too far from Fanshawe and never really noticed any slowdowns or anything during school months.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Hey Lowermainland, gently caress you and gently caress all the copper thieves that have nothing better to do at 4am than to cut Telus' lines and sell it for scrap.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
Just a friendly reminder that overage fees are a necessity because our bandwidth is being clogged up and it's not at all just an additional revenue stream that is essentially pure profit.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Any idea how long Telus Optik TV/Internet bandwidth will remain unmonitored?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
After all this time, we finally got Rogers / Teksavvy to admit this building exists, and now we have Internet access. I'm convinced that we must be the only people on the premises that actually have a Rogers/TS connection; everyone else must use Bell or something.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
My Shaw student deal is coming up next month and I won't be a student any more. I live in Burnaby, so no Novus. Is TekSaavy still the best option?

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!

ZShakespeare posted:

My Shaw student deal is coming up next month and I won't be a student any more. I live in Burnaby, so no Novus. Is TekSaavy still the best option?

For the bandwidth/cap and no tv service yes. If you want tv service as well as internet telus is going to likely be cheaper.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Sprawl posted:

For the bandwidth/cap and no tv service yes. If you want tv service as well as internet telus is going to likely be cheaper.

It will be a cold day in hell before Telus gets another cent out of me.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice
Anyone know about any decent cable providers in the Kingston area? All I know of are Cogeco and Bell, and both of them are terrible.

Vaginal Engineer
Jan 23, 2007

Can-O-Raid posted:

Anyone know about any decent cable providers in the Kingston area? All I know of are Cogeco and Bell, and both of them are terrible.

Your post is very confusing since you mention both cable and Bell. Are you talking about TV or internet? Does it need to be cable or does satellite/DSL work too?

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Vaginal Engineer posted:

Your post is very confusing since you mention both cable and Bell. Are you talking about TV or internet? Does it need to be cable or does satellite/DSL work too?

Internet, preferably cable. I thought Bell was a cable provider but I looked it up and apparently they use fibre optic? The site I used to look up providers is way out of date, it listed them as Bell Sympatico. :shobon:

Vaginal Engineer
Jan 23, 2007

Can-O-Raid posted:

Internet, preferably cable. I thought Bell was a cable provider but I looked it up and apparently they use fibre optic? The site I used to look up providers is way out of date, it listed them as Bell Sympatico. :shobon:

I'm pretty sure your only cable options are Cogeco and Start Communications. If you're willing to go with DSL, then check out TekSavvy.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Bell offers 'Fibe' TV over VDSL. It's a nice Cisco/Microsoft Mediaroom setup. As much as I hate Bell, it's a quality product and would recommend over Rogers any day.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award

Can-O-Raid posted:

It is a marketing ploy.

I had a bell salesman come to the door and tell me that they "now have the fibre optic" - so the skeptic in me asked when they trenched, since the distribution box for our neighborhood happens to be in our side yard. Not only that, but our garden is planted around it. Needless to say, the salesman didn't make a sale.

They still use the same copper wiring from your basement to the distribution box, and then from the distribution box to their central office / hub.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Guigui posted:

It is a marketing ploy.

I had a bell salesman come to the door and tell me that they "now have the fibre optic" - so the skeptic in me asked when they trenched, since the distribution box for our neighborhood happens to be in our side yard. Not only that, but our garden is planted around it. Needless to say, the salesman didn't make a sale.

They still use the same copper wiring from your basement to the distribution box, and then from the distribution box to their central office / hub.

Yeah it's just VDSL. While better than ADSL2 it's still not FTTH/GPON.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Vaginal Engineer posted:

I'm pretty sure your only cable options are Cogeco and Start Communications. If you're willing to go with DSL, then check out TekSavvy.
Thanks for the info, I checked out Start and their Postal Code availability checker said it wasn't available where I am. I'll probably call just to be sure and if that doesn't pan out maybe switch to DSL.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

less than three posted:

Bell offers 'Fibe' TV over VDSL. It's a nice Cisco/Microsoft Mediaroom setup. As much as I hate Bell, it's a quality product and would recommend over Rogers any day.

I was visiting family in Montreal recently, and the video stream on their Fibe service would cut out for a half-second every minute or so. It wasn't for some weird, exotic channel that was being pumped in via satellite from the other side of the planet, either. It was the SD feed of CBC's Stanley Cup coverage. I was really surprised.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!
gently caress Teksavvy.

I Told them to cancel my account for the 30th they charged me a full month on the 14th, and canceled it on the 19th.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
When I transferred to Wind, Rogers blocked my number port for 3 months, and then charged me for those three, plus an extra one.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Yep, this is why I just ported to Virgin without telling Rogers a drat thing. The port went through immediately, as soon as we stuck the sim card in I was already up and running.

If Rogers tries to bill me for service they can't have possibly provided they can deal with the CCTS.

edit: oops, this isn't the wireless thread! You confused me, Ensign Expendable :v:

DarkJC fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jul 6, 2012

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Oh, oops, it's not. Our telecoms are so lovely, it just sort of blends together.

LitigiousChimp
Sep 14, 2002

Sputty thinks I'm awesome and I deserve a kitten avatar!

Sprawl posted:

gently caress Teksavvy.

I Told them to cancel my account for the 30th they charged me a full month on the 14th, and canceled it on the 19th.
I moved recently, and for some unknown reason the dummy at Teksavvy who processed my move order also changed my speed from 25Mb to 6Mb. Turns out that the Cellpipe modem they gave me won't even work on a line that slow, and I wound up having to wait a week before they could send another tech out to give me the speed I'm supposed to have.

Their prices and download caps are good (for Canada), but their customer service leaves much to be desired.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Yeah, I've been having posts of billing issues with Shaw lately that boil down to "our computers do it this way and we don't understand how they work", as if computers are some magical beast that can't be controlled. I know this is barely Internet related, but does anyone know of television providers in the GVRD that aren't Telus, Bell, Shaw or Novus (I'm not wired for Novus)?

Fake edit for clarity: I know that CSRs have no control over the computer, but using "the computer has to do it this way" instead of "we designed it to work this way" is rather disingenuous. There is no reason in the year 2012 that having a last name with an apostrophe in it should cause an issue. I have, and do make web apps. This isn't a difficult problem to solve.

real edit: The reason is that they almost definitely use SQL as their internal database and apostrophes are a control character in that language. They also likely are lazy and contract the systems design to another large firm which is also lazy and, rather than have their input controller scan for the apostrophe and put a / character in front of it (between 1 and 20 lines of code depending on tools and competence), they just outright forbid the use of the character. Again, there is no excuse for this in the year 2012.

ZShakespeare fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jul 6, 2012

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
I imagine the systems these guys use have been slapped together by the lowest bidder, who I could definitely see making basic mistakes like forgetting names can have anything other than A-Z in them.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

ZShakespeare posted:

Yeah, I've been having posts of billing issues with Shaw lately that boil down to "our computers do it this way and we don't understand how they work", as if computers are some magical beast that can't be controlled. I know this is barely Internet related, but does anyone know of television providers in the GVRD that aren't Telus, Bell, Shaw or Novus (I'm not wired for Novus)?

Fake edit for clarity: I know that CSRs have no control over the computer, but using "the computer has to do it this way" instead of "we designed it to work this way" is rather disingenuous. There is no reason in the year 2012 that having a last name with an apostrophe in it should cause an issue. I have, and do make web apps. This isn't a difficult problem to solve.

As far as residential services no there are no others. There are a few microwave services but they are expensive like metrobirdge.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

LitigiousChimp posted:

I moved recently, and for some unknown reason the dummy at Teksavvy who processed my move order also changed my speed from 25Mb to 6Mb. Turns out that the Cellpipe modem they gave me won't even work on a line that slow, and I wound up having to wait a week before they could send another tech out to give me the speed I'm supposed to have.

Their prices and download caps are good (for Canada), but their customer service leaves much to be desired.

It's too bad because it used to be top notch. It was difficult for me to find legitimate complaints online and the few I found here I ended up assisting the guy with it and getting everything straightened out.

We used to have customer service numbers that were loving unreal (89-91%) but I guess things have fallen apart ever since they decided to hire two people who worked at an insurance firm to run the call centre.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
My Telus OptikTV box flipped out and would not record shows for about 5 days before I realized it, arrrrrgh. Oh well the only thing I missed of significance was one episode of MasterChef!

It was really strange, couldn't pause live tv or anything. Did a reset from the menu and it came back but there was no notification it was messed up, just would not record shows (although the guide still had the "this show will be recorded" red dot).

I light fires
May 12, 2001

ZShakespeare posted:

Try calling them up for renewal, during the summer their check on who is and who isn't a student is usually pretty lax. Also in sept, swing by a college or uni on opening day. Usually there is a shaw rep who is doing sign ups and they don't check student status because despite checking being the rule shaw cuts their legs off and will send one guy to sign up 20 thousand people who just ends up taking names, phone numbers and student numbers.

I've managed to swing my student deal for the last 2 years simply because I live across the street from a college and I look like a scruffy 20 something despite being a scruffy 30 something.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

I light fires posted:

Try calling them up for renewal, during the summer their check on who is and who isn't a student is usually pretty lax. Also in sept, swing by a college or uni on opening day. Usually there is a shaw rep who is doing sign ups and they don't check student status because despite checking being the rule shaw cuts their legs off and will send one guy to sign up 20 thousand people who just ends up taking names, phone numbers and student numbers.

I've managed to swing my student deal for the last 2 years simply because I live across the street from a college and I look like a scruffy 20 something despite being a scruffy 30 something.

I'll definitely give that a shot. Thanks.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

ZShakespeare posted:

real edit: The reason is that they almost definitely use SQL as their internal database and apostrophes are a control character in that language. They also likely are lazy and contract the systems design to another large firm which is also lazy and, rather than have their input controller scan for the apostrophe and put a / character in front of it (between 1 and 20 lines of code depending on tools and competence), they just outright forbid the use of the character. Again, there is no excuse for this in the year 2012.

:stonk: Please don't do this. Don't manually escape your SQL queries. Use prepared queries. I am begging you.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

ToxicFrog posted:

:stonk: Please don't do this. Don't manually escape your SQL queries. Use prepared queries. I am begging you.

I let the framework handle that. I was just being illustrative. I should have known the level of pedantry in here would be high. Sorry.

SeventySeven
Jan 18, 2005
I AM A FAGGOT WHO BEGGED EXTREMITY TO CREATE AM ACCOUNT FOR ME. PLEASE PELT ME WITH ASSORTED GOODS.

I light fires posted:

Speaking of the Shaw student plan, MY GIRLFRIEND is going back to school so I figure we should take advantage of it, especially since Telus just raised their rates again. I've never actually switched providers before so I was looking for some advice.

Should I just call Telus and tell them to cancel my account at the end of the next billing period then call Shaw and sign up and try to get a tech appointment around that date? Will Shaw hassle me if I'm the one signing up but not going to school?

I guess I'd be willing to listen to a Telus retention offer, as I don't really have any problem with their service, but they'd basically have to come down $50/month to match that Shaw student deal, which is a drat good deal.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

ZShakespeare posted:

I let the framework handle that. I was just being illustrative. I should have known the level of pedantry in here would be high. Sorry.

This can only remind me of this wonderful XKCD: http://xkcd.com/327/ .

Oh, where are you "Robert'); DROP TABLE CUSTOMERS;"?

:)

Nuntius
May 7, 2004

(not a fag)
Next month I end my Telus half price Internet for 6 months offer. I'm on month-to-month do there's no reason I should pay the full price if I don't have to. What sort of offers would retentions give me. What would happen if I cancel then my girlfriend takes out the identical Telus service for 6 months? Would they know what we did. I don't mind losing service for a day to save $200.

Are there any better service providers in Vancouver who don't cost more? Unfortunately I don't live in a novus building and I'm not prepared to pay large upfront fees for teksavvy when I will probably be moving again in 6 months.

I'm a student if that helps, and I dislike signing up to long contracts.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Nuntius posted:

Next month I end my Telus half price Internet for 6 months offer. I'm on month-to-month do there's no reason I should pay the full price if I don't have to. What sort of offers would retentions give me. What would happen if I cancel then my girlfriend takes out the identical Telus service for 6 months? Would they know what we did. I don't mind losing service for a day to save $200.

I don't know what Telus would offer, I'd suggest giving it a shot.

If it fails, just Go to Shaw for 6 months at $19.95 and then switch back. Bonus, that package isn't applicable to Shaw's Usage Based Billing AFAIK.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
So if I want the speed of Rogers, but better upload :pcgaming: and usage caps, TekSavvy is the way to go? (Ontario)

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Mister Macys posted:

So if I want the speed of Rogers, but better upload :pcgaming: and usage caps, TekSavvy is the way to go? (Ontario)

I'd say yes. It costs a bit more on start-up, and as many people in this thread have said first hand, you can't always rely on their customer service/they have no technicians of their own and the big telecoms strangely don't seem to put wholesale customers at the top of their courtesy list.

But, I've had TekSavvy for several years now, and it's by far the best internet I've ever had. Going back home to my parents' Bell internet is like going back to dial-up in comparison. :\

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010
Any one have suggestions for ISP's in Niagara (spec. Fonthill). Currently on a small local DSL provider (Vaxxine), who prices are great but speed and service leave much to be desired.

Can't get teksavvy as I have Cogeco lines, not Rogers.