Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Quarex posted:

It would be interesting if part of why Ground Branch failed were due to people genuinely thinking it was the same game as Takedown/Hardcore Tactical Shooter (I did not know it was a different project at first, not that I am the target demographic either).

I wonder if the ones from formerly-non-independent studios (Double Fine Adventure, Wasteland 2, Shadowrun Returns) will be covered by these sites? I mean, on one hand, it seems a given, but they also may feel like they do not need the publicity, or something.

Takedown got funded already though. I must admit when I saw Ground Branch I immediately thought of Takedown, but (and I am not in their demo either) Ground Branch looked like a much better concept to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I totally don't want pets in Dead State, because you know they're all going to end up dying horribly :smith:

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Oh poo poo, oh poo poo

Jetpack 2 Kickstarter

My wallet, fuuuck -- well money's meant to be spent anyway I guess.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
Thanks to you and 1213 other backers, Haunts: The Manse Macabre has been successfully funded.

:woop:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Seashell Salesman posted:

Takedown got funded already though.

If Takedown's KS had come out now, though, it wouldn't have been funded. Kickstarter craze was in full swing back then (yes, it's been quite a few months), media sites were covering every new KS project, and people were backing projects they didn't even care much about (heck I supported Starlight Inception). That's over now. A project really has to shine and do a lot of legwork by themselves to succeed. No vague ideas, no dumb videos, no lacking past experience in the industry, and no huge goals.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Has there been a kickstarter to make a Tie Fighter/X-wing style game? There literally has not been a single game to compete with those two (with TF being supreme) since those. Even their half-wit sequels were bloated garbage.

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi

Senso posted:

Thanks to you and 1213 other backers, Haunts: The Manse Macabre has been successfully funded.

:hfive:

I really should stay away from this thread, it's done more wallet damage than the last couple of Steam sales combined...

twinight
Aug 25, 2004

TraderStav posted:

Has there been a kickstarter to make a Tie Fighter/X-wing style game? There literally has not been a single game to compete with those two (with TF being supreme) since those. Even their half-wit sequels were bloated garbage.

Game the post above yours mentioned, Starlight Inception, is supposed to be exactly that.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

twinight posted:

Game the post above yours mentioned, Starlight Inception, is supposed to be exactly that.

Checking out now, thanks!

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

nftyw posted:

Oh poo poo, oh poo poo

Jetpack 2 Kickstarter

That art is... like, first-year graphic design student bad. The original had way more charm. Oh well, I still hope it does well!

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

nftyw posted:

Oh poo poo, oh poo poo

Jetpack 2 Kickstarter

Man, for a moment there I thought this was a sequel to the old UNIX game 'jetpack', but instead it's something I've never heard of. :(

Also, stuff like this:

quote:

Jetpack 2 will be the most advanced small-scale platform game ever made

Does not make me optimistic.

TraderStav posted:

Wing Commander and Freespace would like a word with you. :colbert:

More seriously, there's Skyjacker and I'm pretty sure one or two others have shown up in this thread.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Has this been posted? Sorry if it has, but it looks really cool:

Moon Intern

Watch the video - it's rather hard to explain. Kind of a randomly generated, serialized 2d action/sidescroller with base build elements. They're asking for 30k.

AllanGordon
Jan 26, 2010

by Shine
Clang just got funded.

Someone backed 10k at the end to push it over. Apparently they have a tier for custom made knives too.

Really looking forward to how it turns out. Even if it just becomes an engine for other games I think that'd be pretty cool.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Star Guarded posted:

Moon Intern

Watch the video - it's rather hard to explain. Kind of a randomly generated, serialized 2d action/sidescroller with base build elements. They're asking for 30k.

Ok yeah that looks freakin' awesome. I really like their lo-fi retro style. I guess it's hard to say it'll be good without getting a chance to feel the combat or see many puzzles. But with the way they're structuring the game, even if the gameplay is just average, it would make for a fun game. Random story-modules is a great idea. Sounds very Skyrim.

I'm also way into this idea that's starting to show up on KS of using the backers to crowdsource NPCs creation. Yeah, lots of projects have had an "add you name to the game" tier, but this is a little different. I wanna say Cult had a similar system? I want to see a game that includes this as one of the lowest tiers, though; either at the pre-order tier or just above it. A game with hundreds of NPC's based on real individual humans just sounds cool to me.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Star Guarded posted:

Moon Intern

I think they're going to do well. It fits with a demographic that really enjoys Kickstarter, they're offering tons of options to be in the game (hell I'm even tempted at $50), and they've already hit $6K less than 12 hours after the KS was started.

I dropped my $10.

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer
Ugh. Ground Branch failed to meet its goal. Guess I'll never get a true Ghost Recon successor. Can't stand the new GR games. :(

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

So someone made a flash game where you could beat the poo poo out of Anita Sarkeesian

Stay classy internet

Lord Lambeth fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jul 8, 2012

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Oh, no, no! You see, he's just using her as an example of a selfish person that you can take your anger out on! Really! Honest!

I'm really not sure what's going on with Cult's 'insert yourself' dealie. I imagine it's just adding your name to an internal database that's divided by backer level, but some of the people on the forums are writing extremely elaborate back-stories for their cults and realms.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Lord Lambeth posted:

So someone made a flash game where you could beat the poo poo out of Anita Sarkeesian

Stay classy internet

I wasn't aware that the definition of "scam" was "people gave money to her freely even when the fact that she had already achieved her funding goal was made publicly available."

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Bieeardo posted:

I'm really not sure what's going on with Cult's 'insert yourself' dealie. I imagine it's just adding your name to an internal database that's divided by backer level, but some of the people on the forums are writing extremely elaborate back-stories for their cults and realms.
There's either a randomizer or a database (possibly both) of characters / cults / etc.

If you, for example, funded at the level where you can design your own civ, you'll send him your specs and he'll custom design it. He'll then give you a code that you enter into the game to force it to appear when you play.

It's a bit unclear as to whether your civ will randomly show up in games without the code, but it sounds like it will.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I just tossed in for cult leader status, so I'm just expecting my KS moniker on a slightly buffed mob. Being asked to write a few factoids for my cult would be pretty drat nifty, though!

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Hooray, Clang's passed it's goal. I was foolishly getting a bit worried 10 days out when it was crawling a long, but it past like everything else.

There's some interesting research that could be done on crowd funding (for the next year or 2 it'd be thesis gold) like what variables trigger the last minute rush to insure a project makes it. It seems like as far as pitching a sensible target goal goes, developers have a pretty decent amount of leeway as people will go some lengths to drag you, Stretch Armstrong style, over the finish line if you're falling short.

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /

Lord Lambeth posted:

Stay classy internet

Luckily enough, by the time that article came out the newgrounds staff had already gotten rid of it. A loving evil thing to make in the first place, but at least someone on that site was sensible.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

prahanormal posted:

Luckily enough, by the time that article came out the newgrounds staff had already gotten rid of it. A loving evil thing to make in the first place, but at least someone on that site was sensible.

Oh I'm sure it's floating around somewhere.

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /

Douche Bag posted:

Oh I'm sure it's floating around somewhere.

Yeah. Yeah it is. :smith:

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi
Z. updated with what's in the digital versions of the game, and this caught my eye:

Z. Update posted:

The Depths (aka “RPG Mode”)
Versions: Digital Only

The Depths mode is an entire game within a game. Where the primary game has hundreds (and eventually over a thousand) cards, The Depths will have an infinite number of card possibilities. Like Diablo and many similar dungeon-crawling loot-happy games, cards are randomly generated in The Depths, and can have special stats not seen in the normal modes.

For instance, a Flaming Chainsaw of Delight +5, or an Angry Sawed-Off Shotgun of DeathSpray. o.O

The Depths will feature 100 levels of progressively more difficult enemies and rarer treasures. The inspiration for the 100-level layout is probably most directly from Persona 3, Onimusha, and Disgaea.
Looking forward to this game more than I realized.

EugenGT
Jul 8, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Senso posted:

Cool! But, there is a lot of work ahead. Good luck with your product.

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

Thank you Grizzlebees... I was hungry.

Antitonic posted:

Looking forward to this game more than I realized.

I just donated to Z, but I'm really not sure if it will get funded. They are only half way there with 5 days left.

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi

Ankle-biter posted:

I just donated to Z, but I'm really not sure if it will get funded. They are only half way there with 5 days left.

He actually brought that up in the update. He's banking on star power from Grant Imahara (Mythbusters) and Robert Bowling (Call of Duty) tweeting; and Tim Schafer, Ron Gilbert, and Destructoid being playable characters. Plus, it's not like it hasn't been done before.

Still, we'll see.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Ryaomon posted:

I think Divekick is kinda dumb but then again I think fighting games in general are kinda dumb.

In other news: Oh wow. Another zombie game. How original. Surely this won't fail.

Take a shot, folks.

When I read Romero Rules, I rolled my eyes. The Dan O'Bannon zombies from Return of the Living Dead are far more scarier because they transcend those rules and because no one's really done anything like it.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, the RotLD zombies are immortal: if you decapitate or blow the head off, the body will continue to attack; if you cut off an arm, the arm will try to attack you. The only way to really kill them is to completely cremate them, just hope you're not around to breathe in the ashes.

Now, that would require a lot of programming to script that many AI so it might cut down on the hordes that everyone loves. You would also have to script in reaction to dismemberment, but we've already have games like Dead Space and Half Life 2 that do that. But, it gives you a different experience from "zombie appear and run towards you".

EugenGT
Jul 8, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Hi, people!
Our team, Indigo Bunting, had launched crowdfunding campaign on Indiegogo.
We chose Indiegogo, because we're from Minsk:belarus:, that's why we can't use KickStarter.
Our game - is arcade online RPG for iOS, Android and possibly for WindowsPhone.
We will be grateful for any help, and we really want to make good product for our players.
Our Campaign: http://www.indiegogo.com/pokes
Our Website: http://www.indigobunting.net/

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

First it was Join for guild, now it's join for kickstarter :ohdear: .

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

EugenGT posted:

Hi, people!
We chose Indiegogo, because we're from Minsk:belarus:, that's why we can't use KickStarter.

If it's not a video game version of Rochelle, Rochelle: a young girl's strange, erotic journey from Milan to Minsk go gently caress yourself.

EugenGT
Jul 8, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Boiled Water posted:

First it was Join for guild, now it's join for kickstarter :ohdear: .

Excuse me, for what guild?

Al! posted:

If it's not a video game version of Rochelle, Rochelle: a young girl's strange, erotic journey from Milan to Minsk go gently caress yourself.
Excuse me...why so negative?
We want to develop really good game, we are nerds and we like to play online games. We want to make cool online mobile game, and we hope that our funders and players will estimate and support our idea...

EugenGT fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jul 9, 2012

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

EugenGT posted:

Excuse me, for what guild?

He's making a lame joke on the fact you just joined our forums to promote your "Kickstarter" project. You probably shouldn't have done that.

Your project also seems hilariously out of touch with reality, but that's another matter. Your team should be focusing on something "indie", something with charm that would be unique and get a lot of people playing, not on making something a big corp would have thought of and that won't give you a name in the business, but hey, it's your call.

Also, what the guy below me said.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jul 9, 2012

1-Up
Aug 8, 2007

EugenGT posted:

Hi, people!
(...)
Your "team" wants 32 grand to "make" loving checkers with different icons, that is an insult to everything "indie" and to programmers as whole.

EugenGT
Jul 8, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Saoshyant posted:

He's making a lame joke on the fact you just joined our forums to promote your "Kickstarter" project. You probably shouldn't have done that.

Your project also seems hilariously out of touch with reality, but that's another matter. Your team should be focusing on something "indie", something with charm that would be unique and get a lot of people playing, not on making something a big corp would have thought and that you aren't prepared to do, but hey, it's your call.

Of course. I've heared about that forum, like forum with the most adequate audience without trolls, that's why i decided to tell here about our project.

Thanks for critics. I love it. But i don't really understand why you think that our project "hilariously out of touch with reality". We really can do that. We have a programer which is a bit mad...we've worked a bit for e-commerce sphere and a bit for mobile outsourcing, to earn some money and I can assure you that our team can realize that project.

Ask me some questions, feel free, may be I will dispel your doubts, or I will see my own mistakes

1-Up posted:

Your "team" wants 32 grand to "make" loving checkers with different icons, that is an insult to everything "indie" and to programmers as whole.

No dude, it's not checkers...you must poke them and knock out other chips. They will have different features and there will be numerous quantity of chips...and battles will be on different battle fields...
interaction between different chips will differ...that's really difficult piece of physics of the game...

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
More fun than dryer lint.
Your first mistake was failing to post in the correct thread.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

EugenGT posted:

Hi, people!
Our Campaign: http://www.indiegogo.com/pokes
Our Website: http://www.indigobunting.net/
A video but no gameplay in it? Not even a jpeg of a sketch of what the game will look like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I love that guy was trying to bring Pogs back in virtual form.