Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

mastershakeman posted:

Good to know. Anything specific to do in regards to jumping on the shot? Some of my friends tell me not to jump when I'm open, but it seems like I'd be more consistent if I just always jumped as high as I could every single time.

Two ways you could go:

1. Ray Allen approach - Same jump height every time, altering the amount of force when you release the ball.

2. Standard approach - Same release every time, altering the amount of force from your legs (jump height largely irrelevant).

The Ray Allen approach is hard, because if you're not obsessive about practicing your distance shooting you'll likely "push" the shot and end up with either an unusually low release point or the ball could end up veering left or right. There is a big advantage, though, and that's that you'll be able to adjust for tired legs towards the end of games by forcing shots with your elbows and wrists despite getting less overall distance. Basically, though, you'll be jumping as high as you can because your shot will be harder to block.

The standard approach is easier to practice with consistency and it's unlikely to produce many shots that just outright miss the basket. This one's basically all in the legs. You'll be less consistent with your shots as your legs get tired, but your form will be easier to reproduce and it lends itself more easily to just shooting without thinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006
Those old Pistol Pete tapes helped me to understand the mechanics of a jumpshot back in the day, and he must have know what he was talking about, he shoot 3s when such thing didn't exist and died playing pickup.

CrazyLikeAMadDog
Jul 1, 2007
Steve Nash had a good shooting drill here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejTrZOkFXtk

and Jimmer Fredette has a decent breakdown of shooting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_FdUdj_zKk&feature=relmfu

other than that, practice practice practice. I'm still not a great shot, but I've improved markedly by just getting to the courts 15-20 mins before my regular group does and shoot that whole time

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

cisneros posted:

Those old Pistol Pete tapes helped me to understand the mechanics of a jumpshot back in the day, and he must have know what he was talking about, he shoot 3s when such thing didn't exist and died playing pickup.

Well, I shoot like I'm shadowboxing and play pickup all the time and I'm still alive so who are you going to listen to, me or some dead guy? :smug:

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

Mandrel posted:

Well, I shoot like I'm shadowboxing and play pickup all the time and I'm still alive so who are you going to listen to, me or some dead guy? :smug:

You mean like that guy fro Above the rim?

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

mastershakeman posted:

What about for jump shooting, anything beyond taking a shitload of jump shots? I'm giving up on ever being effective down low, since I'd need a full fledged Barkley style game to score over my friends who are all 6+ inches taller than me.

I don't even care about learning how to dribble, I just want to run around like Rip Hamilton and shoot midrange jumpers effectively :unsmith:

When you're raising the ball to take the shot, keep it tight to your body and bring it up in a straight line to where you shoot from. The less distance the ball has to travel the faster your pullup is going to be. You could also try to release quickly, so you release while you're still rising on the jump. The more efficient and quick your shot is the harder it will be to block, and if you're playing with a group 6+ inches taller than you, taking your time is goin to get you blocked.

Hijinkz
Apr 11, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Regarding jump shooting, working on your vertical leap can help, too. One of my friends is about 5'8" and jumps out of the gym. Literally all he does is hit jumpers, and when he's on, he can be kind of unstoppable. Funny thing is he's usually really easy to defend (for me at least :smug:) because I've figured out that by playing a little reverse psychology on him and actively NOT defending his shot, he gets completely thrown off and misses time after time. On the other hand, when I do put a hand up or try to block his shot, he actually elevates to his full potential and hits the much harder shot pretty consistently.

stephelopholus
Feb 24, 2011

mastershakeman posted:

Good to know. Anything specific to do in regards to jumping on the shot? Some of my friends tell me not to jump when I'm open, but it seems like I'd be more consistent if I just always jumped as high as I could every single time.

You will be more consistent the less movement you have in your shot, essentially making your form more repeatable. I have only known a few good players who jump absolutely as high as possible every shot. Not to say that you can't do it if you feel confident doing it that way.

To play like Rip Hamilton your really need to focus on your footwork as much as anything and just find a way to practice as many jumpers as you can a week. When you are shooting by yourself, start at the baseline, throw the ball out, catch it, and turn and shoot. Concentrate on getting your footwork right and squaring up properly every time. It sounds simple and stupid, but I did the same thing before every game in college and still do it now (8 years later) out of habit before my league games. Just repeat this from different angles that you would come off screens from.

Also he is great at reading defenses and working off screens which just takes experience and will come to you over time.

Jirolico
Jan 27, 2005

My ambition is handicapped by my laziness
What's the best way to get open off-the-ball in a half-court set?

I try v-Cuts and backdoor cuts, and they usually work against bad defenders, but the smarter ones can predict where I'm going and the lane tends to get really, really clogged so cutting to the basket can get tough. One of my friends says it's all about timing, mainly learning to cut when action is happening elsewhere and defenders become focused on the ball.

I usually outrun everyone in 5v5 games and get open down court, but I find myself having great difficulty getting open in 3v3. That's why I vastly prefer 5v5.

I agree with everyone here that says first move explosiveness, jabs, and ball fakes are key. The combination of those will fake out 95% of pickup defenders.

stephelopholus
Feb 24, 2011

Jirolico posted:

I try v-Cuts and backdoor cuts, and they usually work against bad defenders, but the smarter ones can predict where I'm going and the lane tends to get really, really clogged so cutting to the basket can get tough. One of my friends says it's all about timing, mainly learning to cut when action is happening elsewhere and defenders become focused on the ball.

I usually outrun everyone in 5v5 games and get open down court, but I find myself having great difficulty getting open in 3v3. That's why I vastly prefer 5v5.

I agree with everyone here that says first move explosiveness, jabs, and ball fakes are key. The combination of those will fake out 95% of pickup defenders.

It can almost become an art to read screens and defenses. It would be easier to show you and every situation is different, but I will describe as best as I can. V-cut is what you need to do but many don't take the initial move far enough. Don't waste a ton of effort making the initial cut as fast as you can. Walk your defender into the lane. I literally mean walk, but get a bit physical. Push him into the lane if you have to without committing an offensive foul. Then once you get him deep enough cut hard off your screen. If the screener's defender tries to step out you need to flare away from him. If the screener's defender stays and you defender tries to follow you need to curl. It is really hard to explain. I am looking for youtube videos to show a proper v-cut. The main point is just don't cut, you need to make contact with your defender and push him towards the middle.

e: Just looking through youtube videos on v-cuts, none of them really show how to do it with a real defender on you.

stephelopholus fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jun 30, 2012

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Having someone set a pick for you is a pretty good way of getting open.

stephelopholus
Feb 24, 2011

Jirolico posted:

Honestly, just doing what you are doing is better than most players in pick-up ball. The more you play and see the guys playing defense the more you will understand what to do. People love playing with people that cut and constantly move. You cutting and moving can free up lanes for other people to drive or cut themselves. If you play with the same group of guys and establish yourself as a solid shooter they should be willing to set picks to get you open.

Hopefully I am being coherent, starting to get really drunk.

Hand of the King
May 11, 2012
Have your teammate set up a pick for you when you're running to get open. A sharp v-cut to the basket with a nice screen should get you open easily.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

Fake going one way and cut the other way hard. Almost always works. Specifically, half run to the ball and then cut hard to the hoop. Easy bucket.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Curls are also good although you'll need to practice shooting coming off of them since defenders will close out on you quickly as soon as they see you spotting up from 16 feet out.

Psikotik
Dec 17, 2002

Random more like ranDUMB
College Slice
Little late to the thread (just saw it a few days ago) but I would second picking up the "Better Basketball" DVDs. I'm 31, and I ordered them when I was 25 and they helped my game tremendously. They might look a little outdated now, but fundamentals are key to improving and that's primarily what you will learn from them.

As for comfortable sneakers I would recommend Jordan CP3's.

die kreuzen
Jun 18, 2012
I hadn't touched a basketball in like six years, and tagged along to a pick up game a month ago. I was ridiculously unprepared by everyone's skill level. I thought pick up ball was kinda like playground ball, but no. Everyone is really good.

In the Steve Nash video in the very first post, he does these runners that him and Chris Paul are the best at, and I adopted that shot too and it's helped a whole lot.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

I got roped into a pick-up game at my local church the other day with a bunch of HS freshmen.

I know they're young, but for God's sake, when you've been shooting pull-up 3s on every single possession, and not one has come even remotely close to going in, don't you even begin to consider that maybe you can't shoot 3s and should pass the ball to one of your teammates, so at least more people can try their hand at wildly off-target pull-up 3s?

There was one dude there who looked to be over 20, on the other team, and every time one of the kids on my team pulled up and clanked a jumper in transition before anyone else even got back he'd just grab the board, see the look of torment and despair in my eyes, and just frown a little and give me a "yeah, I know" look

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

Mandrel posted:

I got roped into a pick-up game at my local church the other day with a bunch of HS freshmen.

I know they're young, but for God's sake, when you've been shooting pull-up 3s on every single possession, and not one has come even remotely close to going in, don't you even begin to consider that maybe you can't shoot 3s and should pass the ball to one of your teammates, so at least more people can try their hand at wildly off-target pull-up 3s?

There was one dude there who looked to be over 20, on the other team, and every time one of the kids on my team pulled up and clanked a jumper in transition before anyone else even got back he'd just grab the board, see the look of torment and despair in my eyes, and just frown a little and give me a "yeah, I know" look

Set a pick while simultaneously yelling "DRIVE!"? At that age if one of them makes a nice move to the basket and scores they're all likely to try to one-up each other which could help open their game (and yours!)

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Omnikin posted:

Set a pick while simultaneously yelling "DRIVE!"? At that age if one of them makes a nice move to the basket and scores they're all likely to try to one-up each other which could help open their game (and yours!)

Tried. None of them had any intention of getting anywhere near the basket. Screens and any attempts to help open a lane for them was met with them standing there dribbling as though I were a phantom, then launching a contested jumper over mine and the defenders' heads. I'm not sure they even know what I wanted them to do.

Hand of the King
May 11, 2012
Can someone settle this? I did a move in a pickup game yesterday that apparently was a travel - some of the people on the opposing team were SO certain that I traveled, I had to shoot for it. I thought about it so much that I don't know which is right anymore (kind of like how you look at a word for a long time and wonder if it's spelled correctly).

I caught ball from a pass with my back against the defender. I turned half way to my right using my left foot, I pump faked, the guy bit and was in the air, then I spun back around while dropping the ball to dribble (I had to pick up my left foot and the ball hit the ground at the same time or maybe right after when my left foot came back down), then I dribbled some more and made a lay up.

Psikotik
Dec 17, 2002

Random more like ranDUMB
College Slice

Hand of the King posted:

Can someone settle this? I did a move in a pickup game yesterday that apparently was a travel - some of the people on the opposing team were SO certain that I traveled, I had to shoot for it. I thought about it so much that I don't know which is right anymore (kind of like how you look at a word for a long time and wonder if it's spelled correctly).

I caught ball from a pass with my back against the defender. I turned half way to my right using my left foot, I pump faked, the guy bit and was in the air, then I spun back around while dropping the ball to dribble (I had to pick up my left foot and the ball hit the ground at the same time or maybe right after when my left foot came back down), then I dribbled some more and made a lay up.

Sounds like your left foot was your pivot foot and when you did the second spin you lifted it, so I would say yes that is a travel.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I'm kinda confused, but yeah. Which foot was your pivot foot? Did you move that foot before you started your dribble (when the ball touches the ground isn't really important). If you did, it's a travel.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

If that happens again, just claim that the move is a crab dribble.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Played a few pick up games yesterday. I ended up on the poo poo squad. gently caress. FUUUUUUCK. I don't even know why these people show up to play. I was the only person on my team who would set picks, box out, call out screens, you know, the things a basketball player should do. Our point guard would immediately turn away from any and all picks I set. I got pissed and took over point, and I would dribble to the top of the key, and I'd see my 4 teammates each standing flatfooted with their hands out calling for the ball. What the gently caress is that? Set a pick, make a cut, do ANYTHING. Ughhhh. I would set a back screen off the ball for a teammate, and he would look at me like I was dancing a loving jig or something. Every shot that wasn't taken by me was a forced shot over 2 defenders, or something equally worthless. WHY PLAY BASKETBALL IF THIS IS HOW YOU PLAY? I honestly must have had 80% of my teams rebounds every game. I set 100% of the picks. gently caress lazy people.

It really is amazing how simple things like setting screens, moving without the ball, and proper ball movement affect the game. Proper basketball takes very little energy to get a good shot off, while superhero ball(driving blindly into a mass of people, taking contested fadeaways) takes up all your energy, and rarely results in a basket.

RCarr fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jul 11, 2012

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
That's what I get pissed off at. If people can't hit shots or are getting burned on D, fine, it happens. But, at least make an effort to get open if it's half court. Also if people don't run back to get on D on full court or stay back to cherry pick constantly, it just kills me.

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008

RCarr posted:

I ended up on the poo poo squad. gently caress. FUUUUUUCK. I don't even know why these people show up to play.

To have fun and not get poo poo on for not setting screens and cutting? Not everyone is as diehard as yourself. It irks me too but you gotta realize those guys probably AREN'T good enough to do these things. Hell, I've played with people who didn't know how to layup the ball. So I told them to not try it and just do what they could.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

RCarr posted:

Played a few pick up games yesterday. I ended up on the poo poo squad. gently caress. FUUUUUUCK.
I understand that it is annoying, but stop whining and encourage/help them. you cant expect everyone to be a student of the game. try to have fun, it sounds like youre spoiling the game for yourself.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I'm 25 and these are all the local kids (20-23ish years old) that played on the team throughout high school. I never played high school ball and I know these things. I constantly said "Hey, let's set some picks guys." I even took the point guard aside and said "Hey I'm setting a pick for you at the top of the key, lets run some pick and rolls."

It's not that these players aren't students of the game, or don't know how to do these things. They all were coached exponentially more than I ever was. They are just lazy, and/or want to look cool and take on the whole defense every posession.

I usually give a free pass to any teammate that plays defense and at least TRIES to rebound (as in, moving towards the basket when a shot is taken, instead of standing flatfooted watching me work my rear end off to box out my man and the 3 others who aren't covered). If you play defense and box out, you can score 0 points and that is totally fine. I'm just sick of lazy people who show up for what they know is going to be a really competitive pick up game and proceed to complain that we are losing while doing nothing about it.

RCarr fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jul 11, 2012

CrazyLikeAMadDog
Jul 1, 2007

mynameisjohn posted:

I understand that it is annoying, but stop whining and encourage/help them. you cant expect everyone to be a student of the game. try to have fun, it sounds like youre spoiling the game for yourself.

Yeah, if you're not telling guys what to do or how you'd like the offense to (maybe) run, it's going to be the same old all of the time.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

RCarr posted:

I'm 25 and these are all the local kids (20-23ish years old) that played on the team throughout high school. I never played high school ball and I know these things. I constantly said "Hey, let's set some picks guys." I even took the point guard aside and said "Hey I'm setting a pick for you at the top of the key, lets run some pick and rolls."

It's not that these players aren't students of the game, or don't know how to do these things. They all were coached exponentially more than I ever was. They are just lazy, and/or want to look cool and take on the whole defense every posession.

I usually give a free pass to any teammate that plays defense and at least TRIES to rebound (as in, moving towards the basket when a shot is taken, instead of standing flatfooted watching me work my rear end off to box out my man and the 3 others who aren't covered). If you play defense and box out, you can score 0 points and that is totally fine. I'm just sick of lazy people who show up for what they know is going to be a really competitive pick up game and proceed to complain that we are losing while doing nothing about it.

That used to happen to me a lot and unfortunately the only solution is to play like 2006 Kobe and take every shot, and be blamed when you eventually lose because nobody is defending.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

It would be great if someone could do a write-up on how to move off the ball. I feel like I spend a lot of time standing around and waiting for people to feel like passing to me. Also, any words on how to get the ball in the post would be cool too. I pretty much know how to move once I have the ball there, but getting to that point can be difficult if my defender isn't a lazy jerk.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

CrazyLikeAMadDog posted:

Yeah, if you're not telling guys what to do or how you'd like the offense to (maybe) run, it's going to be the same old all of the time.

In my experience, the people who stand around and call for the ball know what they should be doing, they're just being lazy.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

BigLeafyTree posted:

It would be great if someone could do a write-up on how to move off the ball. I feel like I spend a lot of time standing around and waiting for people to feel like passing to me. Also, any words on how to get the ball in the post would be cool too. I pretty much know how to move once I have the ball there, but getting to that point can be difficult if my defender isn't a lazy jerk.

Set picks. Set a pick for the ball handler. Set an off-ball pick so a teammate can get open. Every time you a defender has to go around a pick it opens up a number of possibilities. Pick and roll, pick and roll, pick and roll. If you're playing against a team that isn't playing tight D, or doesn't know how to switch and play weak side defense, then this will give you so many open layups/shots. Go crazy and set double picks. Literally anything is better than standing out on the 3 point line(unless you're a knock down shooter, and even then, you should still do these things often).

You don't have to know any special strategies or moves to be effective off the ball. Just keep moving, make a mental note of the spacing on the floor, and set lots of picks.

Concerning playing in the post... I'm 5'10, 170 pounds and I dominate in the post in most pick up games. Most people don't want to bang down low in a pick up game, so if you just use your hips/rear end you can get great position every time. Squat a little, keep a low center of gravity, and just use your hip/rear end to body the defender closer to the basket. When the pass comes into you, lean into the defender with your back, or step into him with your hip slightly so you create a pocket of room between the two of you. Hop with both feet toward the pass and catch the ball with your arms extended, and both feet coming down at the same time. Now you can choose which foot will be your pivot foot, and can proceed to Dream Shake the poo poo out of your defender.

RCarr fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jul 12, 2012

schmitty9800
Feb 10, 2003

Cool video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzLA78Qb3fg

As RCarr said, keep moving. You can probably already guess the best things to do--cutting to the basket, moving into postup position, moving to the baseline underneath the hoop to the other side, or moving to a shooting location.

Keep screening off the ball for others (if they don't know what to do then just move on), and move to places where you'll be able to play towards your strengths.

I've never been a good basketball player, but I did play rec league/PE/schoolyard and learned the very basics of stuff there, then picked up more whenever I could. Now I can play in pickup games with people and not be awful, even though I can't really reliably shoot past 10 feet. Because I'm playing decent defense, moving the ball on offense, and boxing out, I'm more effective than a lot of guys who have decent shots and chuck poo poo up. Plus, there's never any 24 second clock so I never have to take a non-wide open shot. :)

Psikotik
Dec 17, 2002

Random more like ranDUMB
College Slice
Another great way to get position in the paint is by setting a screen for the person opposite you down low, and once you make contact with the defender immediately spin and box them out and call for the ball. Works best if your wing players are actively passing the ball around and you screen opposite of the ball.

CrazyLikeAMadDog
Jul 1, 2007

Doltos posted:

In my experience, the people who stand around and call for the ball know what they should be doing, they're just being lazy.

Yeah, that sounds more like what RCarr was talking about. But I've been in plenty of games with kids who only play pick-up and/or adults who've not played much before. It's never hurt to be assertive in those situations...I'm not a dick, but let folks know they need to call out picks/set off ball picks/etc.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

This was posted in the NBA thread.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/12/s...1&smid=tw-share
I might be biased as a New Yorker, but I thought it was a good article on pick up ball in NYC.

Psikotik
Dec 17, 2002

Random more like ranDUMB
College Slice

RCarr posted:

This was posted in the NBA thread.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/12/s...1&smid=tw-share
I might be biased as a New Yorker, but I thought it was a good article on pick up ball in NYC.

Pretty good article. I had the "No man my friend called next for me" poo poo pulled on me once at the Y I go to on Staten Island.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smarion2
Apr 22, 2010
I'm getting a page not found error. Someone mind pasting a little summery?

• Locked thread