Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

MourningView posted:

Erin Andrews is good at her job and generally handles all the gross poo poo she has to deal with really well. I will never understand all the weird vitriol she generates. Is she supposed to be ashamed of being pretty or what?

Decent women do their ironing with their clothes on, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Glad there's a "feet" in there to break things up.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

quote:

The Erin Andrews Effect, as sports media phenomena, is attracting more female communications majors into taking as many shortcuts as possible to grab a coveted sideline reporting job or studio host instead of risking the time and challenge necessary to try play-by-play, game analyst, or even what's still referred to journalism at a magazine, newspaper or website.

What the gently caress does this even mean? What "shortcuts" are available? Is he trying to suggest Erin Andrews flirted/slept her way to where she is without actually saying it?

Somebody better go tell Craig Sager to stop slutting it up on the sidelines and leave the camera work to the real journalists. :smug:

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone
I don't think there can be any doubt that that is exactly what is being insinuated by the word "shortcut."

Even if there were any valid point to be made about female journalists "using shortcuts," the only place you can go with that without being a reprehensible misogynist is "gee, it would be nice if society stopped making women feel like being a sex symbol is more appropriate to strive toward as a woman than being well educated." Blaming a woman for the objectification of women is just mindbogglingly offensive.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Holy poo poo. I love stuff like this because it puts fanaticism in its proper place.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

MourningView posted:

Erin Andrews is good at her job and generally handles all the gross poo poo she has to deal with really well. I will never understand all the weird vitriol she generates. Is she supposed to be ashamed of being pretty or what?

Yes, pretty much.

Lest you think this is just misogyny, the Washington Post's Christine Brennan wrote a column after the whole peephole thing to say that Erin Andrews was asking for it and encouraging someone to do that by being a sex symbol, despite Andrews never trying to actively be a sex symbol.

What a fun media climate we live in.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

The guy who wrote the Erin Andrews piece says at the website that he welcomes e-mail and his address is listed right there on the L.A. Daily News site, so feel free to drop a line to thomas.hoffarth@dailynews.com and tell him just how amazing that piece was.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

And the pictures and videos he attached to his article make it even classier. For example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWaewg0TrU8

this is the worst loving thing I've ever seen

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

AsInHowe posted:

Lest you think this is just misogyny, the Washington Post's Christine Brennan wrote a column after the whole peephole thing to say that Erin Andrews was asking for it and encouraging someone to do that by being a sex symbol, despite Andrews never trying to actively be a sex symbol.

Christine Brennan is really obsessed with the idea role models and I hate her figure skating coverage. Just felt like mentioning that.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

stuart scott irl posted:

I would shed approximately zero tears if I woke up one morning and found out that Harvey Levin had been dismembered and fed to sharks.

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone
If I were a successful, high-profile woman in the media and regularly subject to things like fellow women stating publicly that I was "asking for" my sexual privacy to be invaded and impotent men raging about my audacity in Being Pretty And Talking About They're Spoarts, there's a good chance I would rather "play dumb" than engage the issue fully too.

NOT ONLY ARE WE GOING TO DEGRADE YOU, BUT WE DEMAND YOU EXPLAIN WHY WE ARE DEGRADING YOU INSTEAD OF PLAYING DUMB LIKE A DUMB DITZY WOMAN

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
Rick Reilly Columns Increasingly Laden With Cries For Help

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

stuart scott irl posted:

I hate TMZ so much, it's like a giant bitchy cat

EDIT: Nothing says great journalism quite like pictures of someone who is visibly irritated that you're taking pictures of them

AsInHowe fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jul 8, 2012

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

AsInHowe posted:

Yes, pretty much.

What a fun media climate we live in.

An easy fix for most of these problems would just be putting burkas on everybody.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

General Dog posted:

An easy fix for most of these problems would just be putting burkas on everybody.

No article of clothing is going to fix a society that continues to value women primarily as sex objects.

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

I can recall being broke with some friends in Tennessee and deciding to have a party and being able to afford only two-fifths of a $1.75 bourbon called Two Natural, whose label showed dice coming up 5 and 2. Its taste was memorable. The psychological effect was also notable.

stuart scott irl posted:

I thought the series of dumb words that Tom Hoffarth wrote would be the worst part about today but wowww

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

General Dog posted:

...says the Aggie fan.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

General Dog posted:

This was a joke, by the way. I know it's hard to tell sometimes.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

General Dog posted:

This was a joke, by the way. I know it's hard to tell sometimes.

There are no aggy jokes, only aggy stories.

But seriously, Tom Hoffarth really did some terrible work today, that amazingly was syndicated around the country.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I just browsed it, but every word I read was terrible. How dare this attractive woman be successful. The comments below commending his "courage" are equally soul-crushing. I think a Fire Joe Morgan reunion is called for.

Edit: just loving look at this

"Faith" posted:

An extremely harsh (and poorly edited) critique of Erin Andrews, but bravo for having the guts to say some things that are very true but others are afraid to vocalize.

Andrews needs to get off the "I don't know why I'm a celebrity" kick when she's made a second career of walking red carpets, showing up at big events and getting her name and face out there in celebrity circles. She may not call the paparazzi to tell them where she is, but she constantly puts herself in position for them to find her.

Do I think she was behind the stalker and the peephole video? No. But anyone who thinks she and her people weren't behind the bikini photos or the recent dating rumors is fooling themselves. For eight years she's managed to never be photographed in a bikini, and I'm sure she's been to the beach in that time. Yet just before she jumps ship, amid rumors that no one but ESPN wants her, they manage to not only find her in a bikini, but find her wearing an ill-fitting bikini that opened up a whole new can of worms about a boob job. Horrible execution by her and her team. And all you had to do was look at her reaction to this fiasco on Twitter to know she was behind it. Poor job of playing the innocent by Andrews.

She's turned into the Kim Kardashian of the sports world - famous by her own hand for making sure she's always in front of a camera and that her name is always being mentioned somewhere. Her biggest problem since DWTS has been over saturation. That's only going to get worse now that she's with Fox. And it's just a matter of time until she wears out her welcome with audiences, if she hasn't already.

Crazy how these people whose job it is to stand in front of a camera always "happen" to be in front of a camera.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jul 8, 2012

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone
She sure doesn't seem to be wearing out her loving welcome with the mongoloids googling voyeuristic videos of her alone in a hotel room

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

If you're an attractive woman on television, you've implicitly accepted lifelong status as a sex symbol and a slut. Whether you're taking 3 dicks at once or getting Dabo Swinney's halftime reactions- it's all the same thing.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
You might be thinking, after that masterstroke of a column, that Tom Hoffarth is done on the topic.

gently caress NO.

Tom Hoffarth goes on to write another snarky blog post (http://www.insidesocal.com/tomhoffarth/archives/2012/07/weekly-media-co-31.html), with these true journalism gems:

- This photo of his paper's layout, with this comment attached: "Look how we're going to get readers to actually pick up a newspaper today. Sorry about that if we caught you off guard."

- Taking random shots at anyone who criticizes him! "With the power vested in me, I'll try to drive knee-jerk traffic to something called SportsGrid.com, where a "rising college senior" named Matt thinks I'm unfair (linked here). He makes some fair points. Says some of the things I point out is "fine." He's done a fine job himself here. But I'd respectfully debate after I looked up big words like 'ad-hominem.'" Clearly, Tom Hoffarth is quite the wordsmith! But that can be discussed later, after his crafting of the next headline.

Of course, his next post really gets to the heart of Erin Andrews being a terrible journalist, by being an attractive woman. Here's the actual post, the contents (and headline) of which are not an added-on joke:

quote:

Ain't it a bitch: Fox Sports could have a real Miss America land in its lap, clawing for EA's job
By Tom Hoffarth on July 8, 2012 12:00 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | ShareThis

Laura McKeeman, part of the Tampa Bay Rays' broadcast team on Sun Sports and Fox Sports Florida, will represent the state of Florida at the Miss America 2013 pageant, the Miss America Organization announced Saturday night.

McKeeman was crowned Miss Florida 2012 in St. Petersburg, Fla., having got to the event by winning the Miss Pinellas County pageant.

Her official biography: "Currently, Laura is working for FOX Sports Interactive and FOX Sports Florida. She covers college football recruiting, basketball, baseball and much more for the entire southeastern United States. Her official title is Southeast Recruiting Reporter. In addition, she is part of the Tampa Bay Rays Broadcast team on Sun Sports and FOX Sports Florida providing content for the Rays Live Pre and Post game shows as well as in-game video spots."

She tweeted out this morning @Laura McKeeman: So honored to be Miss Florida 2012. Thank you all for your support and kindness. It means the world to me!

Learn more of her dreams and aspirations at her website: lauramckeeman.com, which includes a home page of her wearing eyeblack while holding a football and a baseball.

Truly breathtaking levels of sexism. Hard to believe it took him three pieces to call pretty women bitches, indirectly.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

stuart scott irl posted:

I couldn't make it all the way through. I miss the days before TMZ existed when paparazzi was only loving awful instead of...this.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
21st Century Fox is a pretty epic headline though, kudos to whoever wrote that.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Good lord

Tom Hoffarth posted:

And here's one from this morning by a BigLead gentleman (linked here) who insists I missed the point. Thanks, Ty. Glad to give you someone's honor to defend.

and again posted:

The reviews have interestingly been pretty split — and my Twitter followers have grown exponentially, which to me proves the point. Any time you mention Erin Andrews in a sentence, it’s internet gold. I purposely posted pictures and items on her in the past to see how those so-called hits would increase, and it never fails.

This is a column I’d been formulating for a time, as the buzz built with her about to either leave or re-up with ESPN. I figured she had run out of things to do at ESPN and was getting advice to spread her wings. Fox, to me, is like making a deal with the devil. You reap what you sow.

As for reaction: I posted some of it on the blog today, and it seems the older, more experienced people in the business are the ones that most agreed with my take, while the younger, SportsGrid.com writers who can’t see past Andrews’ personna are totally behind her. She’s like some kind of Goddess to them who can do no wrong.

One of the reasons why I went ahead and did this now is that some of the experienced women in sports media, many who I talked to when doing a Title IX piece a couple of weeks ago, are somewhat dismayed at the fact young college communications majors weren’t asking them about play by play or analysts jobs, but more how to get into the field as a sideline reporter. I’m not making that up. They want the glamour role. To me, it’s like a 180 on how Woodward and Bernstein inspired career goals of newspaper journalists in the 1970s — I was one of them.

The Andrews Effect is real, whether college kids want to believe it or not, and it trickles down to every part of the business.

The reaction I thought was most disappointing was from fellow media writers who thought I was too harsh. “Harsh” seems to be the operative word for them. It implies they believe in the premise, but I went too far. Would they go that far? Maybe not, fearing Andrews wouldn’t talk to them again, or she’d be upset with them. You can’t have that fear when you’re trying to point out the obvious to some people. I’m sure she’s a nice person. Seems sweet. But the naive act is wearing very thin on me as well, and I can’t believe others in the media don’t see through it anymore.

Some Genius on SportsGrid posted:

I don't think the article was unfair at all. Rather, this article criticizing the original article is unfair...example...'She was the victim of an incident involving a dude who planted a camera in the peephole of her hotel room door. There’s no need to act like this should be counted against her.'

Yo, Matt, Hoffarth wasn't holding the peeper incident against her, he was holding her exploiting it against her. Which she undoubtedly did. To. The. Hilt.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jul 9, 2012

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Erin Andrews going to FOX is funny because she a videotaped secretly in a hotel room and FOX in England was busted for tapping into people's phones:

quote:

With former Uber-sideline reporter Erin Andrews moving to FOX Sports, once more we are reminded just how swarthy and essentially incestuous a place the Internet is. The basics, for those of you new to this breaking story, a once famous and now considerably less famous side-line reporter has left a big sports website to move to a smaller sports website. That’s it really. From the wild reaction on the Internet, you would think Bryce Harper just stormed in on a Phillies post-game press conference wearing a Hells Angels tank-top, smacked Cole Hamels in the back of the head with a baseball bat, renounced Mormonism and snogged a female reporter on the way out in triumph.

Andrews and FOX are of course perfect partners. Perfect in the same way Katie Holmes and Tom Cruise were for each other. If you recall, Erin Andrews was once victim of a voyeur who invaded her privacy in a hotel some years back. FOX are absolute masters at voyeuristic invasions of privacy. Their owners, News Corp, have spent the better part of 2012 in courtrooms in the United Kingdom fighting, unsuccessfully, allegations that they tapped the phones of celebrities, politicians and regular Joe Punters, basically in an attempt to get breaking news stories without performing any, you know, journalism.

Naturally they are perfect for each other! Erin can rest easy in the knowledge that her phone is probably being tapped, and that next time she dates their text messages and phone conversations will probably be editing room fodder for News Corp journalists, and not just perverts in random lonely, hotel voyeur incidents.

In case you think Andrews and the rest of you in the States are safe because the News Corp ‘issue’ occurred in England only, well excuse me, you couldn’t be more wrong. One of the more disgusting incidents in the UK version was that News Corp was found guilty of hacking into the private phones and voice-mail containers of deceased British service men. They did this in order to be able to splash messages from grief stricken friends and family on their papers, primarily The News Of The World. The police in New York have exposed News Corp previously, in 2009, for attempting to do something very similar in America. Almost unbelievably they attempted to retrieve private phone records of victims of the September 11 attacks.

Now if that isn’t the lowest of the low, it is pretty drat close.

And now Erin Andrews, a victim of voyeuristic crime, works for FOX Sports, who are directly owned by News Corp, who also owned the now defunct News Of The World, who, amongst other voyeuristic activities, hacked into peoples phones.

In a way it is all very symmetrical and beautiful.

Then again in another, more realistic way, it is absolutely disgusting, alarming, and possibly one of those little signs of the decay of Western civilization that we see cropping their ugly little head up every so often.

Or, it is just funny, in a tragic kind of way.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

This is the media equivalent of "TRAP SPRUNG. Heh. Guys?"

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

I can recall being broke with some friends in Tennessee and deciding to have a party and being able to afford only two-fifths of a $1.75 bourbon called Two Natural, whose label showed dice coming up 5 and 2. Its taste was memorable. The psychological effect was also notable.
Perhaps one of the reasons beautiful, knowledgeable women do not want to become "sports journalists" is that their every move seemingly places them in the cross-hairs of sanctimonious, insolent blowhards like Tom Hoffarth

not to mention male sports fans in general

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Ow, Lynn Hoppes.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

For anyone familiar with WFAN, this is a great Grantland piece on their history, as they just celebrated their 25th anniversary. It's complete with interviews from Chris Russo, Howie Rose and Steve Somers, among many others:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8016912/don-imus-mike-mad-dog-fall-rise-first-all-sports-talk-station-wfan

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Vertical Lime posted:

For anyone familiar with WFAN, this is a great Grantland piece on their history, as they just celebrated their 25th anniversary. It's complete with interviews from Chris Russo, Howie Rose and Steve Somers, among many others:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8016912/don-imus-mike-mad-dog-fall-rise-first-all-sports-talk-station-wfan

Great article.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.
The entirety of Sports Illustrated from this past week is worth reading. It's the "Where Are They Now" issue, only with some actually good stories. Gary Smith wrote a huge rear end piece on athletes in political activism today vs. yesterday; one guy wrote an interesting story (that kind of wanders off point, but is still good) about an Auschwitz survivor who became a world-class weightlifter and Olympian only 11 years later and is still alive today. I've only read the Auschwitz survivor one and the one on Earl Campbell, which was also kinda jarring, but it's been the best writing I've seen from SI in a while.

As an addendum, I don't know who it is, but there's someone at Sports Illustrated who is doing the shittiest editing by shoehorning in lame cultural references and extending awful metaphors and ending stories with the worst goddamn bookends. It happened again this week on that story of the Auschwitz survivor where the writer says the man is living his life in reverse just like Ben Button.

You're writing a timeless piece on survival and the redemption of humanity in one of its worst times, but you had to put in a cultural reference to a movie that came out three years ago.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

The broken bones posted:

The entirety of Sports Illustrated from this past week is worth reading. It's the "Where Are They Now" issue, only with some actually good stories. Gary Smith wrote a huge rear end piece on athletes in political activism today vs. yesterday; one guy wrote an interesting story (that kind of wanders off point, but is still good) about an Auschwitz survivor who became a world-class weightlifter and Olympian only 11 years later and is still alive today. I've only read the Auschwitz survivor one and the one on Earl Campbell, which was also kinda jarring, but it's been the best writing I've seen from SI in a while.

As an addendum, I don't know who it is, but there's someone at Sports Illustrated who is doing the shittiest editing by shoehorning in lame cultural references and extending awful metaphors and ending stories with the worst goddamn bookends. It happened again this week on that story of the Auschwitz survivor where the writer says the man is living his life in reverse just like Ben Button.

You're writing a timeless piece on survival and the redemption of humanity in one of its worst times, but you had to put in a cultural reference to a movie that came out three years ago.

Bill Simmons: Newest Editor-In-Chief of SI

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Vertical Lime posted:

I can't stand sports radio, but this was well done. Grantland does a really nice job with this big oral history pieces.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

The broken bones posted:

...and more people know who Merlin is than would get the Bejnamin Button reference anyway.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

leokitty posted:

...and more people know who Merlin is than would get the Bejnamin Button reference anyway.

I'm pretty sure that Merlin only ages backwards in The Once and Future King. Ben Button is still a pretty clumsy reference, though.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.
I mean, it's tough coming up with deep, meaningful prose in baseball and you can kinda tell what the writer pitched in the meeting and how far it fell short of that expectation, but lovely writing is lovely writing.

First time I noticed SI doing this was Mark Buerhle's perfect game story, where the writer opened and closed it with ... well, read it for yourself.

story posted:

By baseball standards Chicago White Sox lefthander Mark Buehrle is not superstitious, but on the days he pitches at home, he always stops at the Shell station, the one where Kingery Highway meets Interstate 55 southwest of Chicago, and buys a Rockstar energy drink. Last Thursday, Buehrle was pitching at U.S. Cellular Field against Tampa Bay, but on the way to the park that morning from his home in Lemont, Ill., he forgot about his ginseng fix and drove right past the station. Only when he was 10 minutes from the stadium did he look down at the cup holder in his BMW and notice it was empty. "Oh s---," he muttered. He texted his wife, Jamie, "Forgot my drink. I'll definitely lose today."

Jamie [his wife] came down to the field, and since she was shaking, Guillen offered to hold Brooklyn. The Rays stood at the edge of their dugout and applauded.

Forget the energy drink. Buehrle was the Rockstar.

jesus christ. That's so lame, I don't even have words for it.

And what an awesome opening, too. Talking about how the day a pitcher pitched a perfect game, his morning didn't start off perfectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.
There was one other one recently about a player, I think it was a high school basketball player, playing with a congenital heart issue and the writer set it up perfectly as a symbol of playing with a broken heart or not playing with a broken heart. And then he loving spells it out in the next sentence and you're like, wait, what the hell did you do all of that legwork for???

And then the issue when the Kings won the Cup, there's a loving MONOLITHIC STORY about a 22-year-old young gun, who's fantastic on the ice and leading his team to the Cup and is being charged with rape off the ice AT THE SAME TIME and may not even play the next season. The writer (I think it was Michael Farber) did a decent job of capturing Doughty's personality on the ice through interviewing opponents--he's patient, he waits, and he knows when to attack. How great would that have been to get at least some image of Doughty off the ice to juxtapose this, even if it's only hypothetical, using both descriptions as a duality of truth and the haze in which a player rests when there's charges against him. You can even divide it into the two possible godforbid-what-ifs and just leave it dangling. This is NEVER TALKED ABOUT in pro sports and it could've opened up a huge dialogue about innocent until proven guilty or how we judge athletes before we even know the half truth of any story or how the average American fan is so skeptical of athletes in today's world.

In the actual story, there's a half-sentence blurb about him maybe not playing next season and that's it. Seriously, maybe one of the greatest hockey stories of the last few years, and it's not even touched. (e: this probably falls a lot more on Farber's shoulders than it does the editors, but it's still worth noting.