Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aug 14, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The problem I was having (and someone else probably) was definitely flash, uninstalled it and downloaded an older version that was two months old and it's working fine now.

I'd already uninstalled and reinstalled the latest before and it kept screwing up, so must be something with the current one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

298298 posted:

The problem I was having (and someone else probably) was definitely flash, uninstalled it and downloaded an older version that was two months old and it's working fine now.

I'd already uninstalled and reinstalled the latest before and it kept screwing up, so must be something with the current one.

Until the lovely Flash problems get fixed properly, I'd advise yo to install Flashblock. It stops Flash elements loading until you click the "play" button, so you should be protected from any drive-by Flash vulnerabilities, at least until you activate the plugin.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser.cache.memory.capacity

This looks pretty dated, I want Firefox to cache MORE stuff into memory. I don't mind it caching on disk either as it's an SSD, but can I have it basically keep everything it's seen in the current session in memory? What am I looking for? I've got 16 gigs of ram and even with a virtual machine up I haven't used much more than half. Let er rip!

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Echoing the flash problems. Youtube gets unresponsive from time to time and I have so many issues with full-screening (though that may be because of my dual-monitor setup).

I'm gonna try some of the recommendations here, because I had nothing but problems for the past month.

Sergeant Rock
Apr 28, 2002

"... call the expert at kissing and stuff..."
Fuckin' useless talentless half-arsed Adobe coders. I'm tempted to just uninstall Flash and pretend I'm using an iPad.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
Uninstall flash. When you need it , use Chrome.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Sergeant Rock posted:

Fuckin' useless talentless half-arsed Adobe coders. I'm tempted to just uninstall Flash and pretend I'm using an iPad.
A detailed list of things I have missed by not having Flash on my iPad:
Nanaca Crash

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Sergeant Rock posted:

Just set plugins.click_to_play to True

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Mozilla is stopping development on Thunderbird past next version. It will just be security patches from then on.

I know it is not really Firefox related, but just a heads up.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Looks like they're really paring down their projects so they can focus on what we all know the world needs most right now.

Another mobile OS.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

jeeves posted:

Mozilla is stopping development on Thunderbird past next version. It will just be security patches from then on.
That's not exactly true, they'll continue to release new major versions up until Thunderbird 17, which will be an Extended Support release. After that point there will still be development, but the Mozilla employees who currently manage Thunderbird full-time will only be part-time, so most work will be community-driven. Since Thunderbird has been "done" in terms of both features and relevance for some time, Mozilla is just recognizing the reality that they need to focus on areas where they can continue to innovate.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

halokiller posted:

Echoing the flash problems. Youtube gets unresponsive from time to time and I have so many issues with full-screening (though that may be because of my dual-monitor setup).
When YouTube gets unresponsive, just kill plugincontainer and reload the page.

And not really relevant to this thread, but what's the good alternative to Thunderbird? I'm not surprised at all that they're more or less dropping it since they've never seemed to be working on it as much as they did on Firefox.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

And not really relevant to this thread, but what's the good alternative to Thunderbird? I'm not surprised at all that they're more or less dropping it since they've never seemed to be working on it as much as they did on Firefox.
Why do you need an alternative to Thunderbird? It's not like it's going to stop working or stop getting updates, it's just not a priority anymore because there's nothing left to innovate. That said, the obvious answer is Gmail, but if you really do want an e-mail client I don't see why you wouldn't just keep using Thunderbird.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

jeeves posted:

It's true that that's all Mozilla employees will get paid to work on, yes. Community volunteers will still be able to add all the new features they like (provided they pass review, of course). This really isn't that much different from how it is now. Somewhere around 50% of the development in Thunderbird is from volunteers, and has been that way for years now.

Unfortunately, the messaging of this announcement probably would have been a lot less controversial if someone hadn't leaked the internal memo. They could at least have waited until Monday when it was supposed to be announced publicly and then leaked stuff if they had a problem with the public version.

Alereon posted:

... there's nothing left to innovate.

That's definitely not true, though. There are lots of things that could be done in Thunderbird: improving composition, redesigning the address book, etc.

Still, Thunderbird's not going anywhere for a while, so don't worry. It's still supported, but Mozilla isn't going to pay people to work on new features. (Edit: I know Alereon mentioned this too, but it bears repeating.)

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jul 10, 2012

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Thunderbird has seemed pretty done for the last year or more, and I am happy with it. I use it daily, and it definitely has everything I need.

Unrelated: Ex-Mozilla employee claims "everybody hates Firefox updates"; Mozilla has handled the rapid release process poorly, and that by pushing a "never-ending stream of updates on people who didn't want them" people have been driven to Chrome with its simpler, no-fuss update process.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
I don't think that's true, I'm at work so I can't Google extensively, but Mozilla has posted update metrics on the Planet Mozilla blog that seem to show that users are reliably updating to new Firefox versions once they're on a Rapid Release version. The user experience would certainly have been better if they had laid the update groundwork before moving to Rapid Release, but it was also urgent that they close the innovation gap between Firefox and Google.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Avenging Dentist posted:

That's definitely not true, though. There are lots of things that could be done in Thunderbird: improving composition, redesigning the address book, etc.

Indeed, better GMail integration (although Summer of Code should fix that), a real directory setting for mails, merging those stupid search bars (who ever thought this was a clever idea in the first place?), an attachment browser, better settings (the stupid, indecipherable account dialog), moving PGP and Lighting from addon to core to stop the "doesn't work for days/weeks until it is updated)...

There was some more development happening after a very comatose state the last few years, and I'm dreading what this news will do to the enthusiasm of the people who cared to develop for TB in their free time.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Honestly, even with the update process the way it stands on the release channel (Aurora seem to have actual silent updates), is it really that much bother for people to click a single button to update Firefox once or twice every 6 weeks?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Honestly, even with the update process the way it stands on the release channel (Aurora seem to have actual silent updates), is it really that much bother for people to click a single button to update Firefox once or twice every 6 weeks?

Considering that even most "power users" and IT people I know literally push the "Delay 4 hours" button on windows update for weeks at a time before finally restarting to install updates, I'd say that it's definitely too much effort for most users :sigh:

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
The vast majority of users are lazy and ignorant. Most people are scared of any pop-up that occurs on their screen, thinking it is a VIRUS! So a monthly Firefox update most likely gets cancelled the same way people will say no to a Java update on every restart for years at a time.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Decius posted:

There was some more development happening after a very comatose state the last few years, and I'm dreading what this news will do to the enthusiasm of the people who cared to develop for TB in their free time.

I wouldn't worry about this. Most of the people in the TB community are ready and willing to keep contributing.

Incidentally, if there are people out there who'd like to start contributing to Thunderbird, shoot me a PM and I'll be grudgingly willing happy to point you in the right direction (I've been a contributor for a couple of years now). Anyone with a decent amount of Javascript knowledge can do cool stuff for TB.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Considering that even most "power users" and IT people I know literally push the "Delay 4 hours" button on windows update for weeks at a time before finally restarting to install updates, I'd say that it's definitely too much effort for most users :sigh:

Firefox updates much faster, and restores to it's previous state. It's definitely a lot less unpleasant to restart for an update.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I've talked about this before, but didn't really get a definite answer. Since the subject is updating now, I'll try again.

I was logged on as a normal user when I installed Firefox. It asked me for administrator credentials, so I gave them. It installed in Program Files (as I would expect it to).

I continue using my computer as a normal user. I am not notified of available updates (over a period of several months). When I go to "About Firefox...", it gives me a button to Apply Updates. Clicking this, restarts the browser, but does nothing else.

I know how to work around this. Either log on as administrator and click Apply Updates, or download the installer from the website and run that (so it will ask for administrator credentials again). I think that I can even run that installer without giving those credentials and it will install in my user profile (?), solving the problem once and for all. I'll try that one day, if I can be bothered.

What I don't get is this: Why don't I get notified of available updates? Why doesn't the updater just ask for those credentials again (Other programs, like Skype, do this)? Why don't I even get a notification that updating failed after a manual try? Is this expected behaviour? Is this an edge case scenario, and if so, how? Is there something uncommon or moronic in the way I do all that, that other people don't?

Or is it just probably broken in my specific case?

I hope someone can help make sense of this, because (apparently) I'm not getting it.

EDIT: My settings are to update automatically, to warn when it would disable addons and to use a background service to do it.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jul 11, 2012

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Flipperwaldt posted:

Yes, is UAC disabled on your system? My guess would be that the update service never got installed properly because of a permissions error, so try uninstalling Firefox (leaving the profile), and installing the latest version as Administrator. After that point everything should work as intended.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Flipperwaldt posted:

I've talked about this before, but didn't really get a definite answer. Since the subject is updating now, I'll try again.

I was logged on as a normal user when I installed Firefox. It asked me for administrator credentials, so I gave them. It installed in Program Files (as I would expect it to).

I continue using my computer as a normal user. I am not notified of available updates (over a period of several months). When I go to "About Firefox...", it gives me a button to Apply Updates. Clicking this, restarts the browser, but does nothing else.

I know how to work around this. Either log on as administrator and click Apply Updates, or download the installer from the website and run that (so it will ask for administrator credentials again). I think that I can even run that installer without giving those credentials and it will install in my user profile (?), solving the problem once and for all. I'll try that one day, if I can be bothered.

What I don't get is this: Why don't I get notified of available updates? Why doesn't the updater just ask for those credentials again (Other programs, like Skype, do this)? Why don't I even get a notification that updating failed after a manual try? Is this expected behaviour? Is this an edge case scenario, and if so, how? Is there something uncommon or moronic in the way I do all that, that other people don't?

I hope someone can help make sense of this, because (apparently) I'm not getting it.

EDIT: My settings are to update automatically, to warn when it would disable addons and to use a background service to do it.

I had a similar problem about a year ago, where the updates would download but would not for the life of me "apply".

As with most Firefox problems, creating a new profile fixed the issue quicker than trying to track down and resolve the issue . Every few months I make a make a note of my installed extensions, make a new profile and reimport all my bookmarks and settings, then install all my extensions again. I rarely have any issue with Firefox that a new profile doesn't sort out.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I had a similar problem about a year ago, where the updates would download but would not for the life of me "apply".

As with most Firefox problems, creating a new profile fixed the issue quicker than trying to track down and resolve the issue . Every few months I make a make a note of my installed extensions, make a new profile and reimport all my bookmarks and settings, then install all my extensions again. I rarely have any issue with Firefox that a new profile doesn't sort out.

FF now has profile rebuilding built in. Go to Help -> Troubleshooting Information, and you can hit Reset Firefox.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Alereon posted:

Yes, is UAC disabled on your system? My guess would be that the update service never got installed properly because of a permissions error, so try uninstalling Firefox (leaving the profile), and installing the latest version as Administrator. After that point everything should work as intended.
UAC is enabled and popping up properly with other software.

It's probably worth mentioning that I have the exact same problem with Thunderbird. Forgot about that earlier. It's what made me think I was doing something wrong. They use the same service, probably? That would make sense.

If it matters, I manually updated firefox from a version 5 install to 11 and then to 13 recently, by downloading an installer from the website. Thunderbird went from 3 to 11 to 13. (I was very happy with the "utrasmooth invisible updating process" for a long time before I noticed something was wrong :v:)

I'm gonna try reinstalling tomorrow or something.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

As with most Firefox problems, creating a new profile fixed the issue quicker than trying to track down and resolve the issue.
If the above doesn't work out on its own, I'll try this as well. I'm just weary of having to reconfigure some of my addons.

Thanks both for your suggestions. I'm mostly glad to know that it's likely something with the software, rather than a massive misconception on my part.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Related: He basically hates everything.
Also that Neowin article is poo poo since it calls him a Firefox dev and doesn't give any evidence for him being one. A Mozilla employee, sure, but not a Firefox dev. He seems to be a UI designer/developer from what I can find.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

jeeves posted:

The vast majority of users are lazy and ignorant. Most people are scared of any pop-up that occurs on their screen, thinking it is a VIRUS! So a monthly Firefox update most likely gets cancelled the same way people will say no to a Java update on every restart for years at a time.

I think it's unfair to blame the users. Updates are annoying, badly implemented, and in a lot of cases break things and/or make the software worse. Arrogant designers make sweeping changes to the UI. Old things get get unexpectedly deprecated.

(This is not just a firefox issue here.)

If they want users to update, they should do it like Chrome, not that I condone that either.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

I forgot about this, even though I used it about 3 days ago. For some reason, sometimes the Reset Firefox button isn't there though.

Flipperwaldt, further to your issue, there used to be an "update" folder either in the Program Files folder (assuming you're running in Windows) or in the profile folder. Deleting that sorted my update problem out once, but I'm not sure if that still gets created during an update. Have a gander.

Oh yeah, is anyone on Windows 8 with Aurora at the moment? The fonts keep getting rendered differently, shifting between normal and blurry bold.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jul 11, 2012

Earl of Lavender
Jul 29, 2007

This is not my beautiful house!!

This is not my beautiful wife!!!
Pillbug
Flash has been updated from 11.3.300.262 to 11.3.300.265.

I understand we've all (mostly? some?) been having problems with video playback around version 262 - anyone noticed if this has been resolved yet?

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
For me the stealing focus problem seems to have been fixed, but videos still tear while scrolling. Thanks for the heads up, sometimes I don't get a notification to update for days.

edit: spoke too soon, focus thing still happens sometimes :argh:

Swilo fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jul 12, 2012

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
How is it Adobe always breaks poo poo? I too have been having the random video corruption, especially when scrolling past and back.

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I had the issue, i just disabled most of the fancy dancy direct2d dooda's and scrolling up/down occurs no-more issues.

FYI have latest drivers,most recent version of flashplayer and 2mnth old laptop with recent latest greatest specs.

Sergeant Rock
Apr 28, 2002

"... call the expert at kissing and stuff..."
Adobe: Cuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuunts

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!
A lot of sites completely lock up for me when using Firefox as of yesterday evening. Notably the stupid chat sidebar in facebook seems to completely gently caress up Firefox, but it's never done so before yesterday. Internet Explorer seems to work (as far as IE "works") and I'm wondering if it's a problem on my end only? I have Win 7 Ultimate, 32-bit.

Edit: Oh it's embedded videos as well, which can only mean ADOBEE :argh:

Office Thug fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jul 12, 2012

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Adobe haven't so much dropped the ball, but thrown it away. They clearly don't test their software.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

Alereon posted:

I don't think that's true, I'm at work so I can't Google extensively, but Mozilla has posted update metrics on the Planet Mozilla blog that seem to show that users are reliably updating to new Firefox versions once they're on a Rapid Release version. The user experience would certainly have been better if they had laid the update groundwork before moving to Rapid Release, but it was also urgent that they close the innovation gap between Firefox and Google.

I'll give him two things that he's right about, they should have fast tracked the extension compatibility settings that were eventually added around 10 to stop some of the chatter about upgrades breaking extensions (not everyone is going to know how to force them to work) and along with this made upgrades silent like Chrome.

They pissed off the normal users because all they know is they saw a popup and now their toolbar is gone and power users were pissed off because now they have to spend 20 minutes editing files to get their plugins running again. Even now that those problems are now resolved no one wants to try because they assume it's going to involve work.

the main reason no one complains about chrome is because they don't know a change was made. They may notice that something is different in how something acts, or that it's crashy but they rarely put it together that it was because of a upgrade.

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"
How does Aurora play with extensions? I wouldn't be able to live without my precious mouse gestures :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Dice Dice Baby posted:

How does Aurora play with extensions? I wouldn't be able to live without my precious mouse gestures :ohdear:
Just fine in most cases.