Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Namlemez
Jul 9, 2003
Where do you all get the 20 month upgrade eligibility? I purchased October 2010 and the website is telling me I'm eligible in August. I called EPRP customer care and she corrected me twice that it is 22 months and confirmed I can't upgrade until August :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I think it's a rolling change as you upgrade again - i.e. your next upgrade would be at 20 months, but your current one is still under the 22 month timeline it was when you last re-upped.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005
It's recently changed from 22 to 20. If you got it while it was still supposed to 22, yours stays that way. If you got a phone after that, then it's every 20.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Apparently, Sprint signed on to be a carrier for Mozilla's Firefox OS.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9228770/Mozilla_promises_Firefox_OS_phones_in_early_2013?taxonomyId=77

Right now, they're the only US carrier that signed on to get the Mozilla phones which will start launching in January of 2013 with "sub-$100" prices. Apparently, Mozilla is going for the low-end phone market before tackling the high-end.

The OS is HTML5 based and Telefónica has already stated that it's better than Android on phones of the same price.

Pizer
Aug 8, 2004
You can activate the Evo 4G LTE on a 40+10$ SERO Plan right?

From what i'm reading online it seems like you have to call telesales and get a code change which leaves the plan otherwise intact. When you try to activate online it tells you to change to a regular plan.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Pizer posted:

From what i'm reading online it seems like you have to call telesales and get a code change which leaves the plan otherwise intact. When you try to activate online it tells you to change to a regular plan.

Yeah. The web site's broken when it comes to switching codes for SERO plans. I called the employee support number and they took care of it in five minutes and activated my Nexus.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Namlemez posted:

I called EPRP customer care and she corrected me twice that it is 22 months and confirmed I can't upgrade until August :(
You can, you just have to buy out your existing contract for $50. So basically, is $50 worth getting an upgrade three weeks early?

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Does anyone recommend a headset that the forward and back buttons work on the evo 3d? I got the cheapo evo headphones on amazon, but only the pause button works on 2 different pairs.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
So, Jelly Bean source dropped today, as did proprietary binaries for GSM (maguro) and Verizon (toro) Galaxy Nexuses. Was the Sprint one (toroplus) included? Nope.

JBQ posted:

As far as toroplus, the situation is unchanged: there are no plans to
support it as a target device for custom AOSP builds.

JBQ

Thanks, Google.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Kreeblah posted:

So, Jelly Bean source dropped today, as did proprietary binaries for GSM (maguro) and Verizon (toro) Galaxy Nexuses. Was the Sprint one (toroplus) included? Nope.

Thanks, Google.

That means JellyBean on my Evo 3D here in the nexxt what........ year?

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

WardeL posted:

edit: to contribute to this page's discussion: I recently moved from Seattle to live in Dallas for a couple years, going back sometime late next year probably. I've been with Sprint for a while and their coverage/speeds in Seattle are great. In Dallas they are awful. I wonder what the deal is.

You will find that in certain areas on certain towers the speed jumps from ridiculously low to 2Mbps max speeds. They are rolling it out to more and more towers. I'm currently waiting for the July update to see what towers got turned on.

In fact we should now based on the July update if things are going well or not. I'll try to report here if I can.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Kreeblah posted:

Thanks, Google.

Does this mean that the major selling point of the Nexus phones, i.e., that Google will provide timely updates, is void if you're on Sprint? Are they effectively saying "gently caress you. No JB for Sprint."

Jadeilyn
Nov 21, 2004

So I got the e-mail with my Sprint bill today, and there were $80 worth of international roaming charges. I spent about 20 hours at a hospital in Arizona that is very close to the border with Mexico, and both Sprint and Verizon phones there tend to want to use Mexican towers. I knew about this, so I didn't talk on the phone at all while I was there, and I turned off mobile data and used the hospital's wifi instead.

Except apparently I didn't and I still got charged for a bunch of data usage (at five cents per kb!) I've got a SERO plan, so I called employee care and talked to a lady who was able to confirm that I had still been in the States and they are applying a credit to the bill to remove the charges. How do I ensure that this doesn't happen again? I asked the lady and she told me to make sure I turn roaming off, but I thought I had. I asked her about airplane mode, and she didn't really say whether or not that would help.

If I have to go back there, I'm hoping to be able to use my phone on the hospital wifi without getting slammed with these fees. I guess I could keep on calling and contesting, but I would rather prevent it from happening at all.

I've got an Evo 4g running some fork of MIUI, if that is at all relevant.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Loucks posted:

Does this mean that the major selling point of the Nexus phones, i.e., that Google will provide timely updates, is void if you're on Sprint? Are they effectively saying "gently caress you. No JB for Sprint."

I think it's more like, they're not releasing the source for the Sprint Nexus in advance, not JB itself. Sounds like Sprint customers have to wait for the official JB update.

edit: unless I'm misinterpreting that...

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Q_res posted:

I think it's more like, they're not releasing the source for the Sprint Nexus in advance, not JB itself. Sounds like Sprint customers have to wait for the official JB update.

edit: unless I'm misinterpreting that...

It sounds like they're telling us to hit Sprint up. Or maybe Samsung. Which is gad damned ridiculous and makes me wonder what in the blazing gently caress Sprint did to piss Google off.

I almost want to switch to one of the GSM carriers, but I have used well over 5GB of data every month for the past year. I can't just show up at one of these fuckers and act like I expect to use my phone like I pay for the data plan.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

The Entire Universe posted:

It sounds like they're telling us to hit Sprint up. Or maybe Samsung. Which is gad damned ridiculous and makes me wonder what in the blazing gently caress Sprint did to piss Google off.

I almost want to switch to one of the GSM carriers, but I have used well over 5GB of data every month for the past year. I can't just show up at one of these fuckers and act like I expect to use my phone like I pay for the data plan.

I'm the exact same way, except my issue is with reception too. I'm in the middle of Bellevue Washington, there is absolutely no reason why I should ever lose signal. If I'm inside and not by a window I have no 3g or 4g signal. But I still use around 5-6GB a month, and I have some terrible "I gotta stay with Sprint to vote with my wallet about unlimited data." morality complex.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

spidoman posted:

I'm the exact same way, except my issue is with reception. I'm in the middle of Bellevue Washington, there is absolutely no reason why I should ever lose signal. If I'm inside and not by a window I have no 3g or 4g signal. But I still use around 5-6GB a month, and I have some terrible "I gotta stay with Sprint to vote with my wallet about unlimited data." morality complex.

Welcome to the club. I knew the data speeds would be bad until NV was fully rolled out but gently caress those other data capping assholes. There is no reason they can't just use QoS to manage heavy users during congestion but let the bits flow during non-peak hours. Doesn't cost them a drat dime, it's just an excuse to boost profit.

So Sprint it is! Speaking of, they approved me for an Airave but I haven't seen a tracking number nor the device show up yet. Anyone else have experience with this?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Where as I am in the opposite boat. A few months ago I got a nice engineering job and I am willing to buy out of my contract to go jump ship to Verizon. Sure I will pay 20-30$ more a month, but at least I will be able to talk on the phone inside.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

But the Nexus S 4G is AOSP and the Galaxy Nexus isn't. I'm confused about that and it makes me want to stay on my NS4G and not actually upgrade if that's how it's going to be.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Jadeilyn posted:

How do I ensure that this doesn't happen again?
Normally you would turn off international voice and data roaming, and turn on the international voice and data roaming guards. Airplane mode also works (the whole point is that the cellular radios are disabled), but is a bit more of a heavyweight solution. However,

Jadeilyn posted:

I've got an Evo 4g running some fork of MIUI, if that is at all relevant.
I suppose it's possible that MIUI is a bit broken and is unable (or simply doesn't care) about international roaming vs domestic roaming. I guess my advice is not to take a phone running a custom ROM anywhere near the border.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

But the Nexus S 4G is AOSP and the Galaxy Nexus isn't. I'm confused about that and it makes me want to stay on my NS4G and not actually upgrade if that's how it's going to be.

Its probably the tardfuck proprietary CDMA authentication or whatever makes unlocking CDMA such a pisser. I hope LTE remedies that buahahahahahaa oh who the gently caress am I kidding they're going to act like bitchy toddlers until the heat death of the goddamn universe.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

What's odd is they apparently have resolved whatever issue was blocking the Verizon Galaxy Nexus as all proprietary binaries are posted now for 4.1.1. I really don't know what would be different about the Sprint version.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Its probably the tardfuck proprietary CDMA authentication or whatever makes unlocking CDMA such a pisser. I hope LTE remedies that buahahahahahaa oh who the gently caress am I kidding they're going to act like bitchy toddlers until the heat death of the goddamn universe.

I don't think LTE is going to fix anything either. Doesn't Sprint's LTE have a built in SIM card or something?

bull3964 posted:

What's odd is they apparently have resolved whatever issue was blocking the Verizon Galaxy Nexus as all proprietary binaries are posted now for 4.1.1. I really don't know what would be different about the Sprint version.

Maybe the issue with the Sprint Galaxy Nexus is different than Verizon's...and even different than Sprint's own Nexus S... what IS the difference with the NS4G and GNex's CDMA besides bands and all that?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

bull3964 posted:

If Verizon is able to play ball something must be really wrong between Sprint and Google. I would ask Sprint for an answer but it isn't like I would get an answer out of a CS agent's retinue of marketable responses.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Loucks posted:

Does this mean that the major selling point of the Nexus phones, i.e., that Google will provide timely updates, is void if you're on Sprint?
No. They did push AOSP JB sources for torospr (formerly toroplus?). The issue is that Google doesn't have license to distribute the Sprint model's proprietaries in a fashion that would allow them to be modified and redistributed with source-based ROMs.

What this means in practice is that folks can't build source-based JB ROMs for the Sprint Galaxy Nexus, using its own proprietaries, until an official or leaked update comes out.

This has no impact on official updates though. Google can release those whenever, subjsct to Sprint saying "it's cool" or something.

bull3964 posted:

I guess one of the proprietary vendors is different between the models, and they were unable to secure an appropriate license in time of JB's release.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ExcessBLarg! posted:

No. They did push AOSP JB sources for torospr (formerly toroplus?). The issue is that Google doesn't have license to distribute the Sprint model's proprietaries in a fashion that would allow them to be modified and redistributed with source-based ROMs.

What this means in practice is that folks can't build source-based JB ROMs for the Sprint Galaxy Nexus, using its own proprietaries, until an official or leaked update comes out.

This has no impact on official updates though. Google can release those whenever, subjsct to Sprint saying "it's cool" or something.

I guess one of the proprietary vendors is different between the models, and they were unable to secure an appropriate license in time of JB's release.

God that's infuriating. Are better tower handoffs worth this proprietary horseshit? No interoperability, no known timetable for releases, and carriers basically snipe each other for new phones to the point where many phones aren't even loving released here because they don't want to gently caress around making phones for a loving signal standard that is not used anywhere else in the drat world.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Pizer posted:

Literally never call telesales, ever. Call Employee Care (1-866-264-1282). They'll take care of you right quick.

Jadeilyn
Nov 21, 2004

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Normally you would turn off international voice and data roaming, and turn on the international voice and data roaming guards. Airplane mode also works (the whole point is that the cellular radios are disabled), but is a bit more of a heavyweight solution. However,

I suppose it's possible that MIUI is a bit broken and is unable (or simply doesn't care) about international roaming vs domestic roaming. I guess my advice is not to take a phone running a custom ROM anywhere near the border.

Thanks for the reply. I guess I'll just use airplane mode then, and tell people to contact me by e-mail if needed. I'm unhappy with my ROM choices in general on my phone right now, and my current home internet situation is such that downloading another one or even going back to stock would be a giant pain in the rear end (needing to switch a bunch of apps back to gingerbread code base and all.)

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
EVO trip report:

I've only had the phone 4 days and already the Sense multitasking (or lack of) is driving me crazy. Leaving the apps or the browser to send a text message causes the app or browser to have to be reloaded when returning to it. It really is as bad as it has been characterized as. Luckily, rooting it was as simple as a click of a button and now I'm going to try a couple custom Roms because what the gently caress HTC?

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Does anyone know if Sprint.com is like disabled for other countries? I'm currently in the carribean, and I haven't been able to check my account at all for literally a month. I can get to the sprint home page, but trying to log in, I just get the page timeout.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I don't know if it's been mentioned, or if anyone else is aware, but the Galaxy Nexus is now only $100 if you get it from Amazon. (After subsidy, of course.)

If you're a NEW customer it drops to only $80.

And there's still that $10 in Google Wallet credit.

Man, it's getting harder and harder to decide between the Nexus and the SIII...I know, I know, I should get the GNex. But in the other thread it was mantioned it might not be a bad idea to get an SIII, and when a new Nexus comes out in 6-9 months, sell it and use that cash to make the new Nexus cost only slightly more than if it was bought with a subsidy.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

Kreeblah posted:

Yeah. The web site's broken when it comes to switching codes for SERO plans. I called the employee support number and they took care of it in five minutes and activated my Nexus.

Thanks for this reassurance. I was worried when I looked online and it said I needed to change plans.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

DrBouvenstein posted:

Man, it's getting harder and harder to decide between the Nexus and the SIII...I know, I know, I should get the GNex.
Honestly, I think the GNex vs. SGS3 is closer on Sprint than in any other circumstance. The SGS3 has a more active development community than toroplus, but toroplus benefits from developments across the entire tuna platform. That said, private builds of CM9 are already running pretty darn well on the SGS3 and they're likely to go nightly very soon. Cyanogen is just tied up with the JB release.

Here's the thing. Even if another Nexus is announced at the end of the year, Sprint has gotten their refreshes in Spring for two years now, so I wouldn't necessarily wait. Also the SGS3 should retain a reasonable flip value (although it seems that Sprint devices in general don't flip as well as GSM/unlocked).

For what it's worth, I went with the SGS3 and I'm quite happy with it. Just keep in mind that the stock ROM is unmistakably TouchWiz, if that's going to be a problem.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Are better tower handoffs worth this proprietary horseshit?
For what it's worth, all baseband firmwares (radios) are extremely proprietary, GSM, CDMA, LTE, whatever. You will not find souce code for radio firmware outside of some leaked source for a dumbphone-that-escapes-me radio that leaked many years ago, and OsmocomBB.

The issue is that the original Android RIL stack, that ran on the application processor, was open source, but many subsequent RIL stacks just became proprietary. Frankly there's no good reason for that other than most third-part manufacturers can't be arsed to opensource any code they don't have to. Google is the only party interested in keeping the RIL open on GSM Nexus models, but it's very far down on their list of priorities and was pretty clear from I/O's Android Fireside Chat that it's largely a forgotten part of Android as long as it "works".

The real issue here, though, isn't so much that the radio is proprietary (or another proprietary blob, could be the loving gyroscope driver for all we know), but that when Google first started developing CDMA Nexus devices they only secured licenses for themselves to distribute the blobs unmodified. They didn't have license to distribute the blobs under modifiable, redistributable terms, which is necessary to build non-infringing source-based ROMs.

So really, it's just a matter of Google securing new licenses, and there's a bunch of vendors at play. It's not clear that the issue is that one particular vendor won't play ball. It could simply be that 9/10 have signed on and the paperwork for the 10th got lost or something. Who knows.

No interoperability, no known timetable for releases, and carriers basically snipe each other for new phones to the point where many phones aren't even loving released here because they don't want to gently caress around making phones for a loving signal standard that is not used anywhere else in the drat world.
I don't think it's really fair to criticize early-90s North American network operators for going along with a domestically-developed standard that was technically superior to what the Europeans were just finishing hammering out amongst themselves.

And since then the carriers have been trying to move to a unified standard wherever possible. AT&T Mobility moved from Digital AMPS/"TDMA" to GSM in the late 90s. Bell and Telus moved from CDMA to UMTS/HSPA networks a few years back. Verizon and Sprint are holdouts because CDMA was a good enough standard at the time that they could push it pretty far without breaking backwards compatibility (which is a huge deal), and because when UMTS deployments started revving up they figured it would be better worth their time to jump to 4G standards. Which brings us to LTE, which the entire world is converging on.

(Granted none of that explains the brain fart that was Sprint deploying WiMAX or purchasing a dying iDen-based carrier.)

But again, remember, at the end of the day, as long as you've purchased a carrier-branded device, you're buying into their control, regardless of the kind of network that carrier runs (i.e., AT&T is one of the worst here). The only way to avoid it is to purchase GSM/UMTS unlocked devices. And again, with the GSM/UMTS Galaxy Nexus having a pentaband HSPA+ radio, for loving $350 dollars, there's never been a better time to do it.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

But again, remember, at the end of the day, as long as you've purchased a carrier-branded device, you're buying into their control, regardless of the kind of network that carrier runs (i.e., AT&T is one of the worst here). The only way to avoid it is to purchase GSM/UMTS unlocked devices. And again, with the GSM/UMTS Galaxy Nexus having a pentaband HSPA+ radio, for loving $350 dollars, there's never been a better time to do it.

I think the problem for me (in Omaha at least) is GSM is pretty much non-existent here. T-Mobile doesn't work and AT&T is also awful.

I think the main choices are Cricket, Boost, Virgin Mobile, Sprint, and Verizon.

I suspect that's probably why some people don't buy GSM phones in some places as well.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Yep, the main two places I go routinely that aren't where I live are both Verizon coverage only, so I have to use either Sprint, Verizon, or one of the Verizon prepaid services. There's absolutely no choice in this matter, unless I'm simply ok with not having cell phone coverage in those areas.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
GSM coverage where I live is ok, but Verizon's is the best by a mile...though I'm on Sprint, so...whoops!

But I can roam on theirs if I get no Sprint signal...though I wish there was a way to force it to roam if I have a crummy signal.

I actually considered going pre-paid and an unlocked GSM Gnex with a Straight Talk plan, but my data usage sometimes goes too high. I occasionally have to tether for work (because their too drat cheap to get me a cell modem thingy! :argh:) so I need a reliable connection that doesn't care if I use several gigs a month.

And unrelated, but how come I can only get the 16 GB SIII on Amazon? I want the big ol' honkin' 32 GB, and it'd be cheaper through Amazon. (Well, in theory it would be, since all the other phones are.)

Valithan
Mar 2, 2003
Has anyone made the leap backwards to a basic phone on Sprint? Right now I have the EPRP unlimited data/texts/500 mins at $70 a month; I don't know if my EVO is just on its last legs or what but for the past several months I've had total poo poo as far as 3g signal strength/speeds. My upgrade is coming up on 9/1 and I'm not sure I want to sign up for another contract, part of me wants to pick up a cheap tablet like the nexus 7 and just get something like the Rumor Reflex and save $30 a month.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

ThermoPhysical posted:

I think the problem for me (in Omaha at least) is GSM is pretty much non-existent here.
Let's hope that when the world moves to VoLTE the 700 MHz open-access requirements really kick in and folks will be able to use unbranded devices on Verizon.

AFAIK, Sprint doesn't have any open-access encumberances on their licensed bands, but maybe at that point when the rest of the world has jumped on that bandwagon they'll not be dicks about it. Cause at this point, shipping SIM-less LTE devices still pretty much makes them look like dicks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Let's hope that when the world moves to VoLTE the 700 MHz open-access requirements really kick in and folks will be able to use unbranded devices on Verizon.

You already can. No one really bothers to put any in for certification though.