Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
katium
Jun 26, 2006

Purrs like a kitten.
I really like Martie now. She annoyed me in the beginning, and I thought for sure she'd be a goner after her third Producer's Challenge, but she's really come back strong.

I'm still rooting for Michelle and Justin, too, and I'm not sure who I'd pick if it came down to the three of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I feel like Martie's show would basically be Paula Deen's show. Which wouldn't make sense for the food network since they already have Paula.

I think Michele, Justin, and Yvan move on next week. Nikki and Ippy I don't think can make for an interesting pilot, and Martie has the aforementioned problem of being a Paula clone

Martita would have knocked it out of the park if she brought up that story about her dad. Ippy didn't even talk about the right drat fruit

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

lol jews gonna get fucked.
If we talk about future canceled FNS food shows, the only two with any interest creatively is Ippy and Justin. Each week, I have no clue what they could be making. On the other hand, every year, we get to see someone hispanic make the most basic Mexican food. I know nothing about Mexico but there has to be more than what's on the menu at every tex mex place. I'm half vietnamese and I know we got more than pho and shrimp spring rolls.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

mascaria posted:

I still can't imagine what Justin's show would be like.

I doubt that you get this show in the States but I imagine it as something like Chef At Home, hosted by a man who is a decent cook despite looking like he's on a constant morphine drip.

http://www.foodnetwork.ca/ontv/shows/chef-at-home/show.html?titleid=82664

It's actually kind of good at teaching you how different flavours interact and giving you ideas about how to use spices and herbs (the guy's pantry is the size of my bedroom). It also features some of the most baffling camerawork on the whole channel, sometimes opting for a shot from, say, INSIDE THE BOWL where he's measuring something into it. I think it's targeted exclusively at recovering addicts who want to learn how to cook something other than meth.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

SteelAngel2000 posted:

Martita would have knocked it out of the park if she brought up that story about her dad. Ippy didn't even talk about the right drat fruit

You'll need to remember that both times Martita has had to work live she goes WAY UNDER TIME and gives no fucks about just standing there silently. FN execs can't work with someone who can't execute in a live environment. She was absolutely the right one to go.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/11/dining/what-happens-after-restaurant-impossible-leaves-town.html?smid=tw-nytimes&seid=auto

This article about Restaurant: Impossible is unsurprising for people familiar with the success or lack thereof on Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares. Most of these restaurants are on life support when Robert shows up and for all his bluster he is no better than Gordon.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Since nearly every restaurant he "restores" was a massive health code disaster before he walked in the door, I can't say I'm too sad to hear those people are no longer in the food service business.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

I knew the Flood Tide woman would comment on the awful paneling, though. It was really, really loving awful.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Y Kant Ozma Post posted:

I knew the Flood Tide woman would comment on the awful paneling, though. It was really, really loving awful.

Also reminder that new season starts Wednesday. My favorite from last season was the guy whose special family BBQ recipe was a bucket of KC Masterpiece with some store bought dried spices thrown in.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Frot Lesnar posted:

Also reminder that new season starts Wednesday. My favorite from last season was the guy whose special family BBQ recipe was a bucket of KC Masterpiece with some store bought dried spices thrown in.

I really wish Robert would have just left him on that one. The dude was a massive baby the entire duration of the show

osukeith161
Dec 19, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So did Robert successfully just dodge that whole "made up credentials" and "failed restaurants and pissed off investors" fiasco from a few years ago? I mean, what is his expertise? Her Majesty's mess hall? I just don't get how he has any sway besides FN supporting him.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

osukeith161 posted:

So did Robert successfully just dodge that whole "made up credentials" and "failed restaurants and pissed off investors" fiasco from a few years ago? I mean, what is his expertise? Her Majesty's mess hall? I just don't get how he has any sway besides FN supporting him.

He issued a public apology and was banned from Food Network for life (about 6 months).

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

osukeith161 posted:

I don't know what his actual credentials are, though I think he was a military cook or something and he HAS at least attempted to open restaurants. I remember that, when the scandal broke, he had a restaurant that he was trying to get going- possibly in Florida- and the way in which he had stalled was kind of strange, too.

But anyway, yeah, he dodged the whole thing and just came back like nothing happened. I don't quite understand why his personality is so magnetic as to overcome something like that--- they can find other guys who could probably do his thing just as well and don't have to fake their resume just to get there.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Y Kant Ozma Post posted:

I don't know what his actual credentials are, though I think he was a military cook or something and he HAS at least attempted to open restaurants. I remember that, when the scandal broke, he had a restaurant that he was trying to get going- possibly in Florida- and the way in which he had stalled was kind of strange, too.

But anyway, yeah, he dodged the whole thing and just came back like nothing happened. I don't quite understand why his personality is so magnetic as to overcome something like that--- they can find other guys who could probably do his thing just as well and don't have to fake their resume just to get there.

"It's not what you know, but rather, who you know." He knows the right people.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

ToastyPotato posted:

"It's not what you know, but rather, who you know." He knows the right people.

...whom he got to know by lying about his credentials. Then again, it's not like FN is a bastion of respectability. :v:

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Like it or not, he was a ratings draw. And you see the problems Food Network has in making its own personalities. If they were bigger, or really cared about respectability, he would never have been back. Being small and not caring about your reputation can do wonders for reasonably talented con artists like Irvine.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Frot Lesnar posted:

Is that the Memphis place? It's on right now.

E: Yeeeep, it is. Dude's hopeless.

iastudent fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jul 15, 2012

schmitty9800
Feb 10, 2003

Kung Fu Jesus posted:

On the other hand, every year, we get to see someone hispanic make the most basic Mexican food. I know nothing about Mexico but there has to be more than what's on the menu at every tex mex place. I'm half vietnamese and I know we got more than pho and shrimp spring rolls.

Food Network probably realized it can't compete with Rick Bayless.

katium
Jun 26, 2006

Purrs like a kitten.
Anyone watch tonight's episode of NFNS? Who are you voting for?

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

katium posted:

Anyone watch tonight's episode of NFNS? Who are you voting for?

The only person who I want to see more of is Justin.

I feel like if Alton really takes him on and mentors him and plants a little "Good Eats" seed into him, he could make one of my favorite shows brand new again, and his dish for the pilot was just wild.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Same here. His is the only show I can see not drowning with the rest of the NFNS winner shows. Seriously, who actually watches Aarti Party or Sandwich King? I could see Justin's show becoming the next "Good Eats."

Ivan's show is too generic, I think. He has no real defining quality to him other than he's a nice guy, who loves his family. He made mac and cheese, and not a terribly original mac n' cheese at that.

Michelle is too restricted in what she can do. Every challenge, she's either made something with mussels, clams, crab, or lobster. She's going to run out of things to talk about and cook really quickly, which is a shame because she also seems like a genuinely nice person.

Martie's show I could actually see working out. Her personality is like Paula Deen's, but the resemblance ends there. She's making platters and party food, rather than deep fried butter balls or whatever Deen makes. My only concern with her show is that she's shown how to make the food for parties, but hasn't really shown us that she can plan anything besides that. But Martie has a real comforting aura to her that I can see resonating with people who might be turned off by Justin's brashness.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Every time I've caught the sandwhich king, I've liked it. It just comes on at such a weird rear end time.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
That's the funny thing, they're looking for shows that don't even match what they're currently programming for.

The day of the block of straight cooking shows is dead, or at least, relegated to The Cooking Channel (which I don't get, cause it's not worth an extra $10 for that channel package).

The Food Network proper (at least outside of the daytime lull and into primetime viweing) is basically competition shows and culture/technique shows, very rarely straight cooking.

I guess they still NEED those shows to fill out their schedules, but I see something like what Justin wants to do having a much better life than just another disposable cooking show.

I think the only one I'd even consider watching is Secrets Of A Restaurant Chef, just because Anne is so god damned good, but that's about it, anything else I watch is Iron Chef, or Chopped, or Best Thing, or Restaurant Impossible, etc.

katium
Jun 26, 2006

Purrs like a kitten.
Yeah, Justin's pilot was the only one that really captured my interest. Martie was great with the challenges, but her actual pilot feels like a reshash of other shows (Giada does a lot of "party entertaining" on her shows, from what I've seen.) Isn't there also already a show called Aarti Party (or maybe that's Cooking Channel)?

Yvan and Michelle do seem like nice people, but I feel like Michelle would work better on the Cooking Channel; Yvan I'm not sure.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Justin's "pilot" was weird and awkward.

I'm mad about Ippy, but Michelle is my vote I guess.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I love the fact a Facebook account is required to post. What if I don't want my family and friends to know I've got a secret crush on Alton Jr?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

iastudent posted:

Is that the Memphis place? It's on right now.

E: Yeeeep, it is. Dude's hopeless.

I saw that episode for the first time yesterday, and that was as ridiculous as some of the poo poo on Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares.

Dude was microwaving his ribs.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

Timby posted:

I saw that episode for the first time yesterday, and that was as ridiculous as some of the poo poo on Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares.

Dude was microwaving his ribs.

Oh god I hated that guy, how can barbecue be your LIFELONG PASSION and you SUCK so god damned much at it? This guy may disprove the 10,000 hours rule.

"Now I'mma make my daddy's home made BBQ sauce recipe" *dumps a giant container of pre-made BBQ sauce into a bowl* :ssh:

This guy seems like he was enchanted with the idea of being some kinda BBQ guru rather than the actual reality of it. Blech.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

I'd complain about the KC Masterpiece microwave BBQ dude but so much of that episode seemed so goddamn fake.

HE'S NOT GOING TO COME OUT OF THE HOUSE, ROBERT! UH OH! THE WHOLE MISSION IS IN JEOPARDY!

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Anyone watch the preview of that 'Three Days to Open with Bobby Flay' show after?

Seems an attempt to do another Restaurant Impossible type show. But the scenario is so artificial and the way everyone involved acts just rings of all the drama depicted being completely staged. First how many places are coincidentally opening in three days and know ahead of time they are going to be needing Flay's help to get it all scheduled? At least with Kitchen Nightmares/Restaurant Impossible they've been in trouble for months or years.

In the episode the guy running the place was a complete obstinate idiot, constantly rejecting Bobby's advice. He's launching a chicken finger take out place (that I guess he thinks is for some reason different from every wing place out there - see it's chicken fingers instead of wings).

Instead of actually developing his recipes a day before opening he's all about this crazy publicity stunt of having models throw his chicken finger sauce all over each other while Bobby is telling him what a bad idea it is. This event is attended by a three journalists who ask the guy leading questions that allow him to demonstrate how clueless he is. When he gets back Bobby has quotes from the journalists already printed up and displays them to show him what a disaster it was, and after finally getting the guy to admit how moronic the whole thing was says he's used his influence to have the stories pulled. Sure the journos and their publications involved appreciated how that was portrayed on the show, as though they are happy to pull unfavorable stories at the request of a celebrity.

After that idiot guy suddenly becomes 100% amenable to everything Bobby says, he starts treating his friends well and everything is going to be just great, yay! It was just like the end of some episodes of Kitchen Nightmares where the narrator wraps up with 30 seconds left with 'and then they fired the problem manager, hired someone new who was great and the whole town has decided they are the best restaurant ever'.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

I missed it in favor of Breaking Bad. What you just described is more or less what I expected. I guess they have a new formula for cool shows. This is OK, as it means less of the Cupcake War stuff, but Anne Burrell's chef show is pretty stupid as well.

I have watched some of that Hotel: Impossible show and almost enjoy that, though.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I haven't seen the show yet, but I've had it up to about HERE with the contrivances and stuff.

Why 3 days? Why not a week? Why not an 8 episode series about building and launching a restaurant? That'd be interesting! You don't always have to be under the gun guys, geez.

Same with Restaurant Impossible. "I'VE GOT 2 DAYS AND 10,000 DOLLARS TO TURN THIS PLACE AROUND!" well if the stakes are so high, why not another 10 grand and another couple days? Dag yo. Maybe not seal up the cracks in the foundation with a paint job.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Y Kant Ozma Post posted:

Anne Burrell's chef show is pretty stupid as well.

I have watched some of that Hotel: Impossible show and almost enjoy that, though.

Hotel Impossible is actually pretty decent, I thought it was going to be terrible but was pleasantly surprised. I'm surprised it's taken so long for to make these shows here, they showed one of the British hotel ones on BBC America a couple of years ago.

I'm not minding Anne Burrell's Chef Wanted show that much. Contrived, sure, no-one is actually calling her up to find these chefs. It's part Chopped almost, first two rounds the owner asks them to cook a dish with a particular theme with some set ingredients, but the final round is like that short lived Chef Hunter show where the remaining two chefs run a service.

Seen a couple of Chopped alums in the episodes so far. The smug older former musician guy turned up on the most recent episode in Todd English's Olive restaurant. He made the mistake that someone on every episode has made so far - deciding to completely ignore the guidelines given by the owner because 'they'll respect how outside the box my thinking is'.

Later was pretty hilarious as one guy crashed and burned horribly during service and ends up in a state of denial that it's not that bad, and Todd English is so angry he throws a returned plate off the pass to smash in the kitchen.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Y Kant Ozma Post posted:

Justin's "pilot" was weird and awkward.

I'm mad about Ippy, but Michelle is my vote I guess.

Justin's food and format were killer, but the camera angles were extremely unflattering. I don't know if it's just his face or the lip gloss but they can't shoot him without it coming off as extremely creepy and off-putting. I can't believe they wanted to see more of loving Martie than Ippy. And of course her pilot was the most derivative and uninspired of the four, and the nonstop blathering and personal anecdotes were embarrassing. I guess some people must like that kind of personality but I haven't known anyone who did anything but tolerate that sort of thing. All that aside her dish looked awful. "Y'all want some raw onions and lemon? You're in luck!" Yvan knocked it out of the park on heart but as others mentioned it wasn't anything special, format- or food-wise (though now I really want to take a shot at making something similar).

Michelle was polished, innovative, and thoughtfully shot. She's been my favorite for a while now and had a recent stumble so it's a good redemption story. I'm pretty sure Yvan's going to win, but I'm voting for her. No way is a majority of viewers voting for Justin, and Martie was dead in the water the entire season.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Somewhat related to the industry subject of this thread, season two of Bar Rescue premieres on Spike the 29th.

I found the first season entertaining enough. It hits the usual "business-rescuing reality tv" tropes but also had its informative moments about what works in the bar industry. I'll get a thread up once it's closer to time.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Yvan's brother was hilarious. I want Justin to win, but if they have Yvan's brother on every day just reacting to random poo poo, I'd tune in every God damned time.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I never liked Yvan until his pilot, and really think it's the best. I liked Justin's theme and idea, but I can't see anything like that really flying on Food Network.

I liked Martie, but the show was just lame. Plus, no way will they allow Aarti Party and Martie with the Party. Way too similar.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
The only pilot worth my vote is Michele's. The rest are the same old bland cooking shows I never watch anyway. At least she has a hook, she tastes local fare then shows how she'd make it. Its like DDD if Guy knew how to cook as well as he can stuff his face.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Arms_Akimbo posted:

The only pilot worth my vote is Michele's. The rest are the same old bland cooking shows I never watch anyway. At least she has a hook, she tastes local fare then shows how she'd make it. Its like DDD if Guy knew how to cook as well as he can stuff his face.

Dunno how you could possibly call Justin's show the "same old bland cooking show," but to each his own, I guess. However, despite DDD sucking rear end, at least Guy has an entire country to choose restaurants and cuisine from. Michelle is extremely limited with her POV in both the places she can go, and the food she can cook. I could only see about a season's worth of material coming out of her before she starts to repeat dishes/locales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Justin served burnt lettuce with congealed chicken stock spooned on top of it.

So he's perfect for Food Network.

• Locked thread