Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Beatnik-Filmstar posted:

And I know it's a 1/1 PSA 10 Clemente rookie, but that card did go for a stupid ridiculous price, right?

One usually can't tell the difference between a PSA 9 and a PSA 10, and in fact a lot of cards in 10 cases are cracked and regraded 9s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

jeffersonlives posted:

One usually can't tell the difference between a PSA 9 and a PSA 10, and in fact a lot of cards in 10 cases are cracked and regraded 9s.

Young himself mentioned in one article that I read about the collection that he submitted a card (Don't remember which) multiple times asking a nine to be graded a ten.

I just meant the price itself. Well, I know it's stupid high. I guess I'm just wondering if anyone saw that coming.

Edit - just found this:
http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/editors-blog-what-a-difference-a-grade-makes/

Consider the highest recorded sales of PSA 9s—all within the last four years and most within the last 19 months) compared to their PSA 10 counterparts in the SCP Auction.

1955 Topps Clemente $36,311 ($432,690)

1954 Topps Aaron $22,098 ($357,594)

1954 Topps Banks $11,740 ($142,836)

1948 Bowman Musial $8,947 ($129,850)

1963 Topps Rose $8,214 ($157,365)

1969 Topps Jackson $3,704 ($115,242)

unbeatable
Mar 13, 2006
I'm number one
Anyone who is looking for live box breaks should check this guy out. He's on 3 nights a week.

wwww.mystlsportscards.com/

http://blogtv.mystlsportscards.com/

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat
Grabbed a box of 2012 Heritage from Target today and had 2 fun pulls
(sorry poor cellphone picture)

Love the Landrith auto and I guess Mauer is okay

I wish they would turn down the photshop filter a little bit on the images though for these

Frobocop
May 25, 2004

God Bless America!
I pulled the same Landrith red auto, mine is 06/63 I think. I considered selling it, but I don't think it would pull more than $30 on ebay now, so I'll probably hang on to it. It's a neat card.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Does anyone know anything about old jersies? A friend of mine found an 82 Dave Stieb jersey (the jersey itself has a patch identifying 82) and thinks it might be game used. I'm a little unsure since I think the make it on it is Rawlings and could've possibly been part of a reproduction line? Who would have made the real jersey back then?

In all my Googling, all I can find is Mitchell & Ness reproductions.

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

Bought one of those 20 pack boxes at Wal-Mart today (Topps and Upper Deck packs from '07 to '10). Opened a 2009 X pack and out popped 2 yellow printing plates:

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Quantrill posted:

Bought one of those 20 pack boxes at Wal-Mart today (Topps and Upper Deck packs from '07 to '10). Opened a 2009 X pack and out popped 2 yellow printing plates:

Oh man, that Pedoria plate is awesome!

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Harlock posted:

Does anyone know anything about old jersies? A friend of mine found an 82 Dave Stieb jersey (the jersey itself has a patch identifying 82) and thinks it might be game used. I'm a little unsure since I think the make it on it is Rawlings and could've possibly been part of a reproduction line? Who would have made the real jersey back then?

In all my Googling, all I can find is Mitchell & Ness reproductions.

Rawlings did indeed make the Blue Jays jerseys in 1982. If it's game-worn, it will have a flag that says "Set 1 1982" or something like that attached to the Rawlings tag, and that 82 patch like you describe.

Here's one on ebay with a closeup of the tags.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1982-Toronto-Blue-Jays-road-jersey-w-pants-/110731174118?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c817a0e6

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
If any of you followed him on Blowout (or ustream, or youtube,etc), Houdini's got his own forum now. It's still small and new, but it's a thing and fun. Check it out if you want.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
Just bought a 1990 Bowman Tiffany Bernie Williams to add to my Yankees rookie collection. Such a nice looking set.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

jetgrindeggy posted:

Just bought a 1990 Bowman Tiffany Bernie Williams to add to my Yankees rookie collection. Such a nice looking set.

Do you have or want a 1993 Topps Jeter?

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

jetgrindeggy posted:

Speaking of Bernie, my dad used to work at the New York Botanical Garden, and every year while he was there they would do a little puppet show/production thing of The Little Engine That Could. Back in, I think, 2005, one of the productions had a few guests show up because there was some Yankee charity thing going on. So my dad comes home that day and shows me this:

I had no idea why he was giving me a laminated Little Engine That Could info card. He told me to turn it over.

When I was growing up, Bernie was my favorite Yankee, and he's still my all-time favorite. Totally blew me away, and apparently he was nice as can be to my dad about it.

(You can click both images for a bigger version)

BrooklynBruiser fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jun 24, 2012

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.
Yo guys, brought this up last time I was in this thread, but I'm going to be selling a number of cards this summer, lots of Topps from the 50s and 60s and 70s and some "unique" cards from the 80s and 90s.

For instance, I have a collection of about 100 '92 Jim Thome cards. I have no idea why this is in a collection, but I have to sell them.

Most of it's gonna be posted on eBay (is it kosher to just put the eBay name on here?), but I'd rather sell it to you guys, so if you have interest, just PM me.

I have 15 tins of 1987 Fleer factory wrapped Collector's Tins which I'm selling for 50 bucks (still in factory wrap) and 15 1987 Don Russ complete sets.

Individual cards for sale this week (most rated 5-6):

1952 Topps Ken Wood
1952 Topps Del Ennis
1952 Topps Bill MacDonald
1952 Topps Bob Young
1952 Topps Joe Tipton
1952 Topps Bob Chakales

Also:

6 wrapped packs of 1977-79 Topps, ~20 or 25 cards each, probably rated 4-5. These cards include (front/back):

-Al Worthington Twins/Yankees prospects (Brian Doyle, Mike Heath, Dave Rajsich)
-Frank Reberger Padres/Jim Palmer Orioles
-Jimmy Sexton Astros/Larry Hisle Brewers
-Rob Picciolo A's/John Henry Johnson A's
-John Ellis Rangers/All-Time Strikeout leaders
-Ron Schueler White Sox/Eric Rasmussen Cardinals

The broken bones fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jun 24, 2012

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

The broken bones posted:

For instance, I have a collection of about 100 '92 Jim Thome cards. I have no idea why this is in a collection, but I have to sell them.

I'd like to learn more about these.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Quantrill posted:

I'd like to learn more about these.

His actual UD RC was in 1991.

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

Chief McHeath posted:

His actual UD RC was in 1991.

I am aware. I am curious if it's 100 of all the same card.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

ElwoodCuse posted:

Rawlings did indeed make the Blue Jays jerseys in 1982. If it's game-worn, it will have a flag that says "Set 1 1982" or something like that attached to the Rawlings tag, and that 82 patch like you describe.

Here's one on ebay with a closeup of the tags.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1982-Toronto-Blue-Jays-road-jersey-w-pants-/110731174118?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c817a0e6
Thanks, it looks to be legit. A pretty neat find at a yard sale I reckon.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.

Quantrill posted:

I am aware. I am curious if it's 100 of all the same card.

Indeed it is, 1992 Topps Jim Thome

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

A man plead guilty to one count of wire-fraud after attempting to sell a baseball glove from the 19th Century while claiming it belonged to Babe Ruth. This was a lie, and he tried to get $200,000 for it, but was eventually caught after one potential buyer noted some shady business. He faces up to 20 years in prison.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/8110103/irving-scheib-faces-20-years-jail-babe-ruth-glove-ruse

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.
I love everything about this card

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah there's also a Manny Ramirez one:

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

I found a neat book at a thrift store today. It's an updated copy of Ball Four. Sill has the original $14.95 price sticker on it.

I thought it was neat, and then I saw this:

Signed. So awesome. I doubt it's valuable, but I collect signed books, so it'll make a neat addition. Now I just need to read the edition I bought for the Kindle...

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Elitist Bitch posted:

I found a neat book at a thrift store today. It's an updated copy of Ball Four. Sill has the original $14.95 price sticker on it.

I thought it was neat, and then I saw this:

Signed. So awesome. I doubt it's valuable, but I collect signed books, so it'll make a neat addition. Now I just need to read the edition I bought for the Kindle...

That's pretty cool.

And every baseball fan should read "Ball Four."

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

AsInHowe posted:

Do you have or want a 1993 Topps Jeter?

Already got it. Was actually the card that started this collection. Sorry.

Just picked up an 84 Topps Mattingly. Next up is probably Cano or Posada, then the 93 SP Jeter when I have some money.

Apollo Creed
Mar 24, 2002

Remember, you fight great, but I'm a great fighter.
The 1992 Bowman rookie photographer was probably from Lifetouch.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.
Anyone want to take a guess as to who this signature is?

e: now with picture inserted:

The broken bones fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 6, 2012

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Say Hey, it's Tillie Trays.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.
hahahaha no way

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I knew right away because I have the same signature!

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat
Got a Zach Wheeler ball tonight

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/baseball-cards-found-ohio-attic-could-worth-3-195715952--mlb.html

Wanna meet those cards so much :stare:

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The Ty Cobb in the middle is great with his sweater/glove just seamlessly connecting.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Keith Olbermann is debunking the idea that these cards are worth $3 million. There's a lot of hype being spun out for this story because of the auction house trying to get as much attention as possible. But honestly the basic fact is that these cards aren't extremely rare. They are valuable, just not $3 million valuable. We're talking more like $500K at most.

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

Keith Olbermann is debunking the idea that these cards are worth $3 million. There's a lot of hype being spun out for this story because of the auction house trying to get as much attention as possible. But honestly the basic fact is that these cards aren't extremely rare. They are valuable, just not $3 million valuable. We're talking more like $500K at most.

Maybe he's talking them down so he can buy them.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

E98s are not rare in general but they're extremely rare in good grades, let alone the top grades some of these got, and the set was previously thought to have major condition sensitivity issues. This will flood the market with NM to MT examples, and it's really just kind of impossible to say where it ends up because it's impossible to know what kind of demand exists for hundreds of high grade caramel cards, many of which are major HOFers.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

He also pointed out that they're only putting 37 of the cards up for sale, but the article about the find mentions that they found a lot more cards. He theorizes that they probably found even more of the E98s in lesser condition, but don't want to flood the market with those.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

PSA has already graded about 700 of them and Heritage is handling most of the sales. The jewels of the collection will be spread about their major auctions for the next year or two, since it's going to be a lot of duplicate bidders.

I'll be quite interested to see what the PSA 10 Wagner goes for; that might beat the $500k projection on its own.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
Regardless, man are those beautiful specimens for the age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.
Think there was any palm greasing (or maybe just handshake agreements) to get them to a PSA 10? I know they're a lot tougher on grading now than ever and it's virtually impossible to get a 10 these days.

• Locked thread