Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
Around the time of the second movie, some cereal company had Pokémon-themed virtual pet games for PC that came on disks that looked like normal CDs with their sides trimmed down to make them cylindrical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

cobalt impurity posted:

Around the time of the second movie, some cereal company had Pokémon-themed virtual pet games for PC that came on disks that looked like normal CDs with their sides trimmed down to make them cylindrical.

Yeah, I've been at conferences where they have "business card" sized CDs that have things like brochures and product information on them. I got a few from the local ABB Medium-Voltage switchgear people.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

JuHoZ posted:

I'm not sure if this is the case in other countries but here in Finland we had square shaped CD:s. They contained little games and came in serial boxes if I recall correctly.

There are rectangular CDs in the US that fit in the mini-CD ring. Usually they're called "business card CDs" and they only hold between 30 and 100MB.

Edit: Oh, and it was mentioned on the new page in the post just before mine.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

CD singles in Japan were almost invariably these smaller CDs (still round, though). They held two songs (what we used to call an A-side and a B-side), plus karaoke versions of the same.

Toastline
Dec 7, 2005
Chain Chomp
Diddy Kong Racing had an OST CD shaped sort of like Diddy Kong's head.

Edit: Yoshi's Story also had similar

When you'd never heard of such a thing before, it sounds like it could be an urban legend! :v:

Toastline fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jul 8, 2012

JuHoZ
May 13, 2009
I remember reading that those oddly shaped CD:s broke down in some players, which seems logical since the weight distribution isn't the same on all sides.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
My first Logitech gamepad came with a mini-CD for drivers. They weren't really that rare, even outside of GameCube games.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
I used to buy burnable mini-cds to put my work on in grad school--their small size made them easy to transport, and I found them to be a bit more durable and scratch-resistant than normal-sized CD-R's. Capacity was never really an issue for me as the files I was working with were plain text or PDFs. I got royally hosed, though--I'd just bought a case of them when all the computer labs on campus "upgraded" to those goddamn iMacs with disc slots instead of trays. "NORMAL-SIZED DISCS ONLY." Just because my disc isn't as big as yours doesn't mean I don't know how to use it! :argh:

ACPaco
Jan 3, 2009

:420: party everyday :420:

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

My first Logitech gamepad came with a mini-CD for drivers. They weren't really that rare, even outside of GameCube games.

At various trade shows those small CDs were peddled as "digital business cards," the idea being that you could quickly give out to potential clients whole presentations on your product or service that they could go over on their own time (or simply lose in their multitude of hand-out bags). I imagine there's a shitload of them out there just with outdated sales pitches and product specs.

pr0p
Dec 8, 2011

JuHoZ posted:

I remember reading that those oddly shaped CD:s broke down in some players, which seems logical since the weight distribution isn't the same on all sides.

And if you're a dumb kid and put one into a front loaded CD player like many cars had, you may never see it again!

JuHoZ
May 13, 2009

pr0p posted:

And if you're a dumb kid and put one into a front loaded CD player like many cars had, you may never see it again!

Or you did, as tiny shards your dad pulled out the player with tweezers, all the while giving you the most heinous "if you were not my child I would end you"-look.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
My understanding is that uneven silkscreening art caused some CDs to break in high-speed drives. I think in a lot of early CD-ROMs that was a popular art style to use a spot color and the reflective layer of the disc.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Three-Phase posted:

My understanding is that uneven silkscreening art caused some CDs to break in high-speed drives. I think in a lot of early CD-ROMs that was a popular art style to use a spot color and the reflective layer of the disc.

I wouldn't doubt that about the silkscreening. 12x and higher drives pretty much run right up to the point where the cd literally shakes itself apart.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Not game-related, but the Expensive Collector's Re-Issue of the album Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space comes with each individual song on a 3" disc sealed in foil like a pill. It's both insanely cool and utterly ridiculous. I really hope nobody has been stupid enough to actually take the CDs out of the blister packing.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Three-Phase posted:

My understanding is that uneven silkscreening art caused some CDs to break in high-speed drives.

This is definitely physically possible, although I don't remember if it ever happened on a large scale with any certain cd release. Minor scratches can also cause it, as well as the disc being actually already cracked

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

dis astranagant posted:

I wouldn't doubt that about the silkscreening. 12x and higher drives pretty much run right up to the point where the cd literally shakes itself apart.

This sounds like the issue people were having with Diablo 2 CDs a while back, where they'd just been so stressed over years of use that they were exploding in people's hard drives if the read speed on their drive was too fast.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

This sounds like the issue people were having with Diablo 2 CDs a while back, where they'd just been so stressed over years of use that they were exploding in people's hard drives if the read speed on their drive was too fast.

If I remember correctly, Sanitarium had a flaw in the first CD of the first printrun that would cause it to explode and ruin the CD drive of any drive over 6x speed. I havn't risked trying to re-install the game to replay it since I found out about that.

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

The accumulated filth of all the dog poop and hairballs will foam up about their waists and all the catladies and dog crazies will look up and shout "Save us!"
... and I'll look down and whisper
"No."

The Cheshire Cat posted:

:stare:

Ok you know what, I'm so glad that I was too lazy to use the disks to install the games a few days back, used the battle.net download instead.

^^^Jesus how does something like that make it to retail

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Deadly Chlorine posted:

:stare:

Ok you know what, I'm so glad that I was too lazy to use the disks to install the games a few days back, used the battle.net download instead.

^^^Jesus how does something like that make it to retail

Easy: in 1998, we thought >6x drives wouldn't happen until 2008.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

My god. I thought I was the only person to ever have that happen to.
It happened to my DII:LoD disk ~6 years ago while playing. The only sound it made was a small *pop* which I wasn't able to identify until a few days later when I opened the drive. The scariest part is the game still ran/started multiple times after this.

I really wish I had gotten a picture of what is looked like, a few big pieces held down by the little latches around the edge, and a dozen or so little pieces sitting inside and a few others that fell out of the top of the drive. Most bizarre moment and I have never had it happen to any other CD.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

Rynoto posted:

My god. I thought I was the only person to ever have that happen to.
It happened to my DII:LoD disk ~6 years ago while playing. The only sound it made was a small *pop* which I wasn't able to identify until a few days later when I opened the drive. The scariest part is the game still ran/started multiple times after this.

I really wish I had gotten a picture of what is looked like, a few big pieces held down by the little latches around the edge, and a dozen or so little pieces sitting inside and a few others that fell out of the top of the drive. Most bizarre moment and I have never had it happen to any other CD.

My mechwarrior 3 CD suffered a similar fate, though it just cracked itself almost in half. Still managed to pass the cd check to start the game though :psyduck:

joff_b
Aug 5, 2011
So it would be possible to create some kind of Killswitch-esque self-destroying install CD? The CD will hold for the time it takes to install the game before fragmenting in your drive, but it doesn't last long enough for you to copy or rip the CD.

Even better if the game loads itself straight into memory and runs, rather than installing onto your hard drive.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

joff_b posted:

So it would be possible to create some kind of Killswitch-esque self-destroying install CD? The CD will hold for the time it takes to install the game before fragmenting in your drive, but it doesn't last long enough for you to copy or rip the CD.

Even better if the game loads itself straight into memory and runs, rather than installing onto your hard drive.

All things considered, it's probably a quicker process to rip an iso than it is to decompress all the data on a CD or a DVD in real-time and install it and run cleanup and stuff, so no. Backwards in the intensity of the intended actions; if you can install it, you can rip it but not the other way around.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

The White Dragon posted:

All things considered, it's probably a quicker process to rip an iso than it is to decompress all the data on a CD or a DVD in real-time and install it and run cleanup and stuff, so no. Backwards in the intensity of the intended actions; if you can install it, you can rip it but not the other way around.

STARFORCE can take care of that problem pretty easy.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Also designing a disc to fracture with that degree of accuracy would be kind of hard, especially since there could be unintentional flaws with the intentional flaws you're throwing in which would probably make it break once it started spinning.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
This sounds like an urban legend, but sometimes I need to place Official Xbox 360 Magazine demo disks in boiling water to make them work. I think it's because I have an older XBox? I couldn't believe it when I read it.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

Count Chocula posted:

This sounds like an urban legend, but sometimes I need to place Official Xbox 360 Magazine demo disks in boiling water to make them work. I think it's because I have an older XBox? I couldn't believe it when I read it.

Why would you even think to do that? :confused:

ACPaco
Jan 3, 2009

:420: party everyday :420:
I looked it up and apparently boiling a CD for about 30 seconds has a 50/50 chance of smoothing out the plastic sheen of the disc and fixing any and all scratches or, uh, not. New discs that came in the mail sealed in plastic with a magazine can have humidity issues that this process has a chance to fix, too. The more you Google...

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
If it doesn't work, how long do you have to boil it before it becomes edible? Shame to waste the CD.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wild T posted:

If it doesn't work, how long do you have to boil it before it becomes edible? Shame to waste the CD.

Throw the CD at a wall and see if it sticks? :confused:

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

joff_b posted:

Such a game better come with a new dvd drive. Mine was definitely broken after C&C Renegade spontaneously dismantled itself.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Farbtoner posted:

Horrible, forgettable (save for some WTF plot elements and a link to Nier) action RPG Drakengard did the same thing, its world map is just Europe flipped around:

Another game that most likely pulls the same gimmick is Dragon Age, albeit with a little more landmass blurring. Here's Thedas rotated:

In particular, the Tevinter Imperium is sitting around where Rome used to sit, Not-Spain is roughly situated where Spain is, and the scary, militant Qunari are roughly sitting around where The Umayyad Caliphate used to sit in North Africa. Cold, smelly Ferelden happens to be roughly where Sweden sits. Not-France looks to have been moved inward though, so there's that.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare
I don't remember if I've posted this in this thread already, but I just remembered one of the more creative myths I was told as a kid. A sort of friend of mine told me that in Pokemon Red and Blue, if you beat the Elite Four with a level 50 magikarp 4 times in a row you could fly to Vermilion City and the empty plot of land the Machoke is pounding will be a brand new gym. And not only that, but YOU are the gym leader, and trainers will come and challenge you. Looking back, I never did seem to wonder why a city would have two gyms or why you'd want to sit in a single screen for hours on end, but there you go. In fact, a lot of the pokemon myths I heard as a kid involved level 50 magikarps and a certain number of rounds against the elite four.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

High level Magikarp probably has a prominant role in Pokemon Urban Legends simply because of the nature of the Pokemon. The only thing you can do is switch it in and out constantly until it evolves into Gyarados. Keeping one unevolved is something nobody would do. As such, having a "special effect" done with a high leveled one adds a fine reason why nobody's done it.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain
That StarFox business reminds me of one crazy rear end conspiracy theory that popped up on message boards after Rare Ltd. announced they were being bought out by Microsoft. A number of people believed that Microsoft had bought out Rare a few years earlier and told them to sabotage Nintendo as much as they could. Some said that Star Fox Adventures was Rare's attempt to screw over the Star Fox franchise for a number of reasons: making a game in a new genre, introducing a furbait character into canon, etc. Even as I'm typing this I'm smiling because it's so ridiculous. Truth is Rare was working on a game called Dinosaur Planet for the N64 that was separate from the StarFox universe before Nintendo asked Rare to turn the game into a StarFox game.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Eggie posted:

That StarFox business reminds me of one crazy rear end conspiracy theory that popped up on message boards after Rare Ltd. announced they were being bought out by Microsoft. A number of people believed that Microsoft had bought out Rare a few years earlier and told them to sabotage Nintendo as much as they could. Some said that Star Fox Adventures was Rare's attempt to screw over the Star Fox franchise for a number of reasons: making a game in a new genre, introducing a furbait character into canon, etc. Even as I'm typing this I'm smiling because it's so ridiculous. Truth is Rare was working on a game called Dinosaur Planet for the N64 that was separate from the StarFox universe before Nintendo asked Rare to turn the game into a StarFox game.
Since Microsoft is a publicly traded company wouldn't we have heard about any acquisitions as soon as they happened? Weird conspiracy theory.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Dr Pepper posted:

High level Magikarp probably has a prominant role in Pokemon Urban Legends simply because of the nature of the Pokemon. The only thing you can do is switch it in and out constantly until it evolves into Gyarados. Keeping one unevolved is something nobody would do. As such, having a "special effect" done with a high leveled one adds a fine reason why nobody's done it.

Hey that's not fair, it learns tackle!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

RagnarokAngel posted:

Hey that's not fair, it learns tackle!

But it didn't back then! My favorite (easily provably false) Magikarp rumor was that Splash did damage if you were in the water when you performed it.

e: I was wrong, you can stop correcting me now.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jul 29, 2012

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

TwoPair posted:

But it didn't back then! My favorite (easily provably false) Magikarp rumor was that Splash did damage if you were in the water when you performed it.

Pretty sure Magikarp always learned tackle, it just does so shortly before evolving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

TwoPair posted:

No, in Gen 1 it learned Tackle at level 15.