Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

This galaxy only has room for one karaoke champ.

qnqnx posted:

Looks like you moved on from "disliking brutes" to "irrationally hating Brutes".

No, it's a rational hatred.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
Patches were usually two weeks apart, lately they've been 3 weeks apart with the last patch being on a Thursday over two weeks ago now. Maybe we could see one this week but I have no idea when this NASL stuff is over with and the Steam Summer Sale is heavily rumored to start to start on Thursday as well, may not be the best time to look for attention.

As for Fractals they didn't used to bother me much until a game last night where the enemy team had 4-5 brutes at any given time making GBS threads all over our base with fractals, this was Crossfire too so the base is tiny and cramped to begin with. Our defense held up quite well but it doesn't mean much when it takes them maybe 10 seconds to get back after they respawn.

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
Playing HoF is kind of masochistic, but fun. You are the target of every shell, jackal inf, and fractal on the other team, but every once in a while a capper hits a mine while you're respawning or you chaingun a dude and then it's all :vd: a kind of grim satisfaction, like a man resigned to death who can at least take a piece of this broken world with him

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Yo, guys, just so you know, some pretty big changes are supposed to be hitting Temple Ruins and Stonehenge next patch.

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Thank christ, TR is the only map I'll leave a server for.

ortsac
Jul 10, 2012

This might just be worth it.

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

Playing HoF is kind of masochistic, but fun. You are the target of every shell, jackal inf, and fractal on the other team, but every once in a while a capper hits a mine while you're respawning or you chaingun a dude and then it's all :vd: a kind of grim satisfaction, like a man resigned to death who can at least take a piece of this broken world with him

With the mines and Titan launcher HoF is incredibly fun. As long as my team can take out the juggernaut up on the hill, I can sit on the flag and midair/splatter cappers all day.

Feels so VGTG after a full game of that.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Profanity posted:

Thank christ, TR is the only map I'll leave a server for.

Same here, it's just loving unbearable.

A Humble Emperor
Dec 30, 2007

With a big big crown!
I just dick around for the TR and Sunstar back to back since both maps are terrible. I don't hold much hope in them making TR fun since the map makers don't seem to understand how to make good terrain. I'm honestly amazed Raindance turned out as good as it did.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

Yo, guys, just so you know, some pretty big changes are supposed to be hitting Temple Ruins and Stonehenge next patch.

HiRezKP, on Temple Ruins posted:

I will not be making drastic changes to this map. If anything changes it will be the terrain in the immediate area around the base and certain base assets may change locations.

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president
Those fuckoff giant hills in the middle no one but lights can even get over? Working as intended.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I know about that post, but raising the entire base area so that it sits atop a hill instead of basically sitting in a pit seems like a pretty major change to me. Possibly in a way that might make the map fun in any way at all?

A Humble Emperor
Dec 30, 2007

With a big big crown!
I don't think anything could make Temple fun. It'll just be another Bella situation.

Servers just went down for a few hours, patch day maybe?

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

I would also assume that "certain base assets may change locations" means making the sensor more accessible. Even having it so needlessly high wouldn't be quite so bad if you could actually see it from ground level to know if it was broken or not. It's always a good target when playing raider or infiltrator or whatever because you know if you take it out, chances are no one will bother getting it back up, and if they do, maybe only once or so. Pretty good investment on time spent.

Also, now that I think about it, I wonder if they will change the flag stand if that can be considered "base assets". It would be nice to see another reasonable way to make a respectable pick-up other then side to side with a really predictable entry angle because of those pillars. Although the clusterfuck at the flag fight is probably the most fun thing about that map right now so maybe not.

Either way, unless they make some significant positive changes, I would rather they take it out of the rotation. Not scrap it entirely like Bella, but they could still make it playable on custom servers if anyone so desired. I haven't played on one of the "free shrike" servers since the first week that custom servers came out or so, but it seems like it would be good for that if anything.

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

I was just thinking earlier about bella in comparison to temple. I think bella was actually way better than temple, specifically in that you could get from base to base relatively quickly even as a heavy. Also someone wrote a super long essay awhile back about map design where he noted that most maps use a "llama trench" as a highway between the bases, temple ruins being perhaps the most egregious example. An interesting point he made was that although bella had a llama trench, it wasn't actually the best route between bases, which causes players to roam the map more and make things more interesting. I think that guy was spot on. Back in the bella days I was still playing jugg exclusively, and he is right about there being good routes even for heavies outside the trench.

I'm not sure where people's problems with bella come from, I always liked it until they put in that last lovely gen room. And yet now seeing what they did with all their other new maps, I would gladly accept that lovely gen if we could get the rest of the stuff that was cool and unique back. Were there problems at higher level play that I just didn't notice because I wasn't any good then?

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Meldonox posted:

Grr, pathfinder bolt caster is my daily. It's only 35% off and it sounds like it'd take much better aim than I have to be used effectively.

I bought it despite never having used pathfinder before and now I love using pathfinder, being able to go so fast is just so much fun. Then again I can't use the spinfusors worth poo poo, but can use the bolt launcher, so who knows :v:

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

I just loaded up the launcher and it says servers down for a few hours for "Patch Day" so hopefully it's for the map changes and they will be for the better.

Or maybe the patch will be "After listening to our playerbase, we recognize a demand for an increase to the viability of chasing after flag runners. To achive this goal, Pathfinders will no longer have jetpacks." :D

Edit - I guess they put the wrong message on the launcher, just maitenance, not a Patch :/

Twenty Four fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jul 11, 2012

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
From Barts Twitter:

quote:

HiRezBart ‏@HiRezBart

The @tribesascend servers will be going offline for routine maintenance and infrastructure upgrade at 5 am EST. Expected downtime >2hr

So no patch today :/

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

Twenty Four posted:

Or maybe the patch will be "After listening to our playerbase, we recognize a demand for an increase to the viability of chasing after flag runners. To achive this goal, Pathfinders will no longer have jetpacks." :D

It looks like the latest pubbie "fix" for fast cappers is..... indoor flags!

I actually wouldn't mind seeing one just to see how big a clusterfuck it would be, but I couldn't help look at that thread and just :ughh:

duffath
May 9, 2007

My name is Legion for we are many.
So I'm not sure if I'll ever be a very good path-finder. Is it just me or is that you're sort of playing an entirely different game when you're capping or chasing? Feels like I basically shouldn't participate in any real combat or am I just doing it wrong?

I guess I'm kind of having a bit of an issue about what class I like to play and can be good at. I've been wondering about Soldier recently. Are they actually good at any particular role? I've a friend who tends to play DoomBringer and goes as HoF so I thought I might try and find a role that maybe backs him up as a spotter or support or perhaps mid-field defender of sorts to stop juggernauts from making GBS threads on his day.

Perhaps Chaser but even with a light assault rifle I can't even seem to really touch people. I use the Thrust module for a fast take-off, but I just can't ever get enough speed up. I've been reading the guides and watching the videos on skiing, but I can't really figure out where I'm going wrong most of the time.

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!
Man, I'm not so happy with my daily deals so far.

Not that it wasn't off to a good start with Pilot at a -25% price.

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

duffath posted:

So I'm not sure if I'll ever be a very good path-finder. Is it just me or is that you're sort of playing an entirely different game when you're capping or chasing? Feels like I basically shouldn't participate in any real combat or am I just doing it wrong?

Yep, it's not a combat role at all, your job as a capper is to make as many cap attempts as you can and make them as good as you can. It's the offensive equivalent of HOF, the defense plays to keep the hof alive and set up and the offense plays to give the capper the best possible chances. The more grabs you try the less the offense's efforts go to waste. Pathfinder is not good at all in combat and while most pub players are bad enough to die to a good pathfinder, you will be hopeless against people of equal skill playing any other class besides maybe sentinel.

quote:

I guess I'm kind of having a bit of an issue about what class I like to play and can be good at. I've been wondering about Soldier recently. Are they actually good at any particular role? I've a friend who tends to play DoomBringer and goes as HoF so I thought I might try and find a role that maybe backs him up as a spotter or support or perhaps mid-field defender of sorts to stop juggernauts from making GBS threads on his day.

Soldier is very good in one on one duels so if you want to play defense and support the hof by killing the offense he's a perfect choice. Also since you'll have at least one good explosive weapon, when there's not much offense going on you can join him on the stand and have a very good chance of killing any incoming cappers.

quote:

Perhaps Chaser but even with a light assault rifle I can't even seem to really touch people. I use the Thrust module for a fast take-off, but I just can't ever get enough speed up. I've been reading the guides and watching the videos on skiing, but I can't really figure out where I'm going wrong most of the time.

Chasing is kind of a gimmick, snipers and the offense around the enemy stand both kill cappers much better.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

HyperPuma posted:

It looks like the latest pubbie "fix" for fast cappers is..... indoor flags!

Myrdraal posted:

I totally agree though that maps disgustingly make no tactical sense whatsoever; infuriatingly so. A good DS or BE soldier, faced with this level of tactical prowess from his commanders, should suicide in the name of honor. Since I love this franchise so much, I sometimes still entertain the idea of doing it myself and painting "MAP DESIGN" on the wall with my blood in the hope that the message is heard.
maps are serious business

A Humble Emperor
Dec 30, 2007

With a big big crown!
That indoor flag thing has to be fake. It's too crazy to be real.

The idea is obviously stupid but I think an entirely indoor map would be hilarious. Like the old Bella gen room/complex but on a grander scale. I had some great fun playing infiltrator vs infiltrator in that place :allears:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

A Humble Emperor posted:

The idea is obviously stupid but I think an entirely indoor map would be hilarious. Like the old Bella gen room/complex but on a grander scale. I had some great fun playing infiltrator vs infiltrator in that place :allears:

There were custom Tribes 1 maps that were entirely indoors and they actually owned pretty hard. You never got going very fast, but oh boy was fighting in giant concrete labyrinths neat.

duffath
May 9, 2007

My name is Legion for we are many.

Adrian Owlsley posted:

Yep, it's not a combat role at all, your job as a capper is to make as many cap attempts as you can and make them as good as you can. It's the offensive equivalent of HOF, the defense plays to keep the hof alive and set up and the offense plays to give the capper the best possible chances. The more grabs you try the less the offense's efforts go to waste. Pathfinder is not good at all in combat and while most pub players are bad enough to die to a good pathfinder, you will be hopeless against people of equal skill playing any other class besides maybe sentinel.

Soldier is very good in one on one duels so if you want to play defense and support the hof by killing the offense he's a perfect choice. Also since you'll have at least one good explosive weapon, when there's not much offense going on you can join him on the stand and have a very good chance of killing any incoming cappers.

Chasing is kind of a gimmick, snipers and the offense around the enemy stand both kill cappers much better.

Thanks for the input on all that. Do you have a good loadout for Soldier? I imagine Assault rifle + Thumper because it gives me one grace weapon (that's the right terminology) and a bullet weapon which seems better for dealing with stuff at longer ranges than spinfusors can manage. Unsure about what other perks and things I should mount on a defensive soldier, I started thinking about it because it'd allow me to push forward from the flag point and pester all the juggernauts who shell the base from out of range of the HoF.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

HyperPuma posted:

I'm not sure where people's problems with bella come from
The basic problems were that it changed too much and too drastically. They kept loving with it, and they were never subtle variations but complete and total redesigns.
But the major issues people had included:
-The very first version had really screwed up terrain. The terrain was basically a bunch of a craters with near vertical sides and it was drat near impossible to ski.
-The next main version, the hills felt good, but people complained about the llama grabs being so successful by climb the tower to the top.
--The other issue with this version is that many people felt the force fields were blocking the wrong paths. They blocked the side 2 side routes instead of the back 2 fronts.
-In the final major version the major complaint was that the turrets were too close to the flag system. This encouraged gen farming and made it really hard on offense. I really don't think this was a bad thing, it was nice to have a map that played with a slightly different style.
--In the very last version some idiot thought it was a good idea to open the gen room up to help the offense. This actually just ended up making it even easier on the defense and it made the gen room boring as hell to fight in.

Then hirez got mad and pulled the plug. All of the issues people had with the map in every incarnation were very small and very specific, but hirez chose to attack the problem by redesigning the whole map from the ground up.

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

duffath posted:

Thanks for the input on all that. Do you have a good loadout for Soldier? I imagine Assault rifle + Thumper because it gives me one grace weapon (that's the right terminology) and a bullet weapon which seems better for dealing with stuff at longer ranges than spinfusors can manage. Unsure about what other perks and things I should mount on a defensive soldier, I started thinking about it because it'd allow me to push forward from the flag point and pester all the juggernauts who shell the base from out of range of the HoF.

Assault rifle + thumper is definitely the most effective and versatile soldier loadout. Put quick draw on and you can handle any duel by using the assault rifle while quick drawing the thumper ever 3 seconds for a nice spike of damage. Also definitely use the utility pack, and short fuse frags which are pretty overpowered right now. In the first perk slot I use looter but ammo is pretty plentiful on defense so you can probably get away with anything. You can also use the assault rifle's excellent range to get some damage in on cappers as they approach and leave if they get away, which can make things much easier for any sentinels you have.

Adrian Owlsley fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jul 11, 2012

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Hmmm, today's daily for me is the sawed-off for 120 GP. It's a recommended update for a class I like. I might pull the trigger on it. Only problem is I'm garbage at aiming guns. What to do, what to do. Maybe it'd be a good enough weapon to make me not worthless as a tech.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

It's a great sidearm for any mode that isn't CTF. Does a ton of damage up close.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

A Humble Emperor posted:

T2 had several maps with indoor flags at launch. The most ridiculous (and my favorite) being Recalescence. Bases spread far apart with flags DEEP inside an enormous indoor base. It basically required players to use teamwork in little "attack squads" arriving by Havocs and kitted out with repair packs, sensor jammers, shield packs and inventory stations to try and survive a mission through the base to disrupt and take the flag. The capper would usually have a shrike waiting for him at one of the three exits, and when the gen went down the dim red emergency lighting made the atmosphere and helped you to keep hidden. It was a great map that not very many people understood, but it definitely wasn't Tribes.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

treat posted:

T2 had several maps with indoor flags at launch. The most ridiculous (and my favorite) being Recalescence. Bases spread far apart with flags DEEP inside an enormous indoor base. It basically required players to use teamwork in little "attack squads" arriving by Havocs and kitted out with repair packs, sensor jammers, shield packs and inventory stations to try and survive a mission through the base to disrupt and take the flag. The capper would usually have a shrike waiting for him at one of the three exits, and when the gen went down the dim red emergency lighting made the atmosphere and helped you to keep hidden. It was a great map that not very many people understood, but it definitely wasn't Tribes.

Rather it was Tribes as it was originally intended, before skiing was discovered. But I don't think that should be taken as a sign that protected flag stands are verboten. The idea of having a strongly defensive map is acceptable so long as the spawn points aren't right on top of the objective.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
It would be nice to have some more variety in maps, of course, the big problem with a more indoor focused map would be everyone going Brute. :catdrugs:

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Even T1 had some indoor flag maps, like Broadside if I remember correctly. Kaal is right, it was what the game was expected to be when they made it, more of a push and pull between teams. Even with skiing around there was still alot more teamwork involved. You felt like you were making more of a difference whatever role you were playing. Now it comes down alot more just to the capper, sniper, and HoF.

I don't know how well indoor flag maps would work for T:A but I would be interested to try one out.

Quickpull
Mar 1, 2003

We're all mad here.

treat posted:

All my favorite memories from tribes 2 are from that map. The sense of going on a mission with a small coordinated team was fantastic. I think if this game only tries to be like tribes and abandons the things that made tribes 2 great, it would be a huge loss. I honestly don't think these things are mutually exclusive, different maps and even diferent game modes could be used to bring forward everything about the franchise as a whole rather than just trying to reskin tribes for the diehard fanboys.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Quickpull posted:

All my favorite memories from tribes 2 are from that map. The sense of going on a mission with a small coordinated team was fantastic. I think if this game only tries to be like tribes and abandons the things that made tribes 2 great, it would be a huge loss. I honestly don't think these things are mutually exclusive, different maps and even diferent game modes could be used to bring forward everything about the franchise as a whole rather than just trying to reskin tribes for the diehard fanboys.

Would make sense as a C&H map.

Bloodloss
Nov 6, 2007

Bloody fucking blood fuck.
What percentage of pathfinders would you guys say know the best routes for capping and consistently go at speeds of 250+?

I enjoy playing pathfinder but such things are far beyond my capability currently. I've tried practising some of the routes I've seen, but it just seems incredibly difficult and beyond my level currently. I rarely see pathfinders anywhere near that good, but I don't want to be a liability to my team.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Are any of the game modes better than others for getting XP?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Are any of the game modes better than others for getting XP?

XP is mostly based on how long the game lasts and if your team wins so not really.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Daily deal was the heavy bolt launcher 75% off so I went ahead and bought it and unlocked the Titan with XP, time to test that setup out. :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Bloodloss posted:

What percentage of pathfinders would you guys say know the best routes for capping and consistently go at speeds of 250+?

I enjoy playing pathfinder but such things are far beyond my capability currently. I've tried practising some of the routes I've seen, but it just seems incredibly difficult and beyond my level currently. I rarely see pathfinders anywhere near that good, but I don't want to be a liability to my team.

Is going that fast really that hard? I mean, if I really want to I can push 200 kph on a Brute (without the +speed boost from the Survival Pack, even).

• Locked thread