Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

The broken bones posted:

Think there was any palm greasing (or maybe just handshake agreements) to get them to a PSA 10? I know they're a lot tougher on grading now than ever and it's virtually impossible to get a 10 these days.

I had not heard that PSA is grading any tougher these days. Do you have any evidence for that, anecdotal or otherwise? I do know it's a lot tougher to get a BGS (Beckett) 10 than it is a PSA 10 though. BGS 9.5 is considered by most to be the same as a PSA 10.

BGS 10's are rare and I've never seen one with all four subgrades a 10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
Got an Al Kaline auto out of an A&G box, where it's notorious to get some not-so-good hits, but I just like the style regardless.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.

Spork Heidelberg posted:

I had not heard that PSA is grading any tougher these days. Do you have any evidence for that, anecdotal or otherwise? I do know it's a lot tougher to get a BGS (Beckett) 10 than it is a PSA 10 though. BGS 9.5 is considered by most to be the same as a PSA 10.

BGS 10's are rare and I've never seen one with all four subgrades a 10.

More anecdotal than anything, but having spoken to some higher ups at heritage and a former PSA grader, they were saying a 10 ten years ago is a 8 or 9 today at best--if you have something graded by PSA in the 90s and early 00s, don't regrade it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

That actually makes a degree of sense if you correlate that with the fact that the market was HUGE for graded cards then, more so even than today. There are just a lot less people in the hobby now that values have plummeted and many have left or been priced out of the market.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Deadbeat Dad posted:

Got an Al Kaline auto out of an A&G box, where it's notorious to get some not-so-good hits, but I just like the style regardless.

I saw on twitter today that there is an A&G card that has a piece of the balloon that those idiot parents told the media floated away with their kid inside

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
My local shop didn't get any A&G in yet. :(

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

ElwoodCuse posted:

I saw on twitter today that there is an A&G card that has a piece of the balloon that those idiot parents told the media floated away with their kid inside

Yep, it looks like this (card on the left):

Pretty funny I think.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
Even stranger in the A&G set is a piece of shirt from Fatal1ty, a professional video gamer.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Deadbeat Dad posted:

That's the best possible pull, go Tigers

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

Spork Heidelberg posted:

Yep, it looks like this (card on the left):

Pretty funny I think.

Did you pull these 3 out of one box? Because, if so, I just threw up in my mouth for you.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
My hit from a box of 2012 Topps Series 2 was an Alex Avila relic. :suicide:

At least I also pulled the David Freese where he's holding a squirrel, and the Rod Barajas error.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

theacox posted:

Did you pull these 3 out of one box? Because, if so, I just threw up in my mouth for you.

:lol:

Nah, that pic is from a card trading forum where a guy posted all of his hits from an entire case.

I just happened to see the Balloon Boy one and thought I'd post it here after the comment about it.

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009

jetgrindeggy posted:

My hit from a box of 2012 Topps Series 2 was an Alex Avila relic. :suicide:

At least I also pulled the David Freese where he's holding a squirrel, and the Rod Barajas error.

Hello Alex Avila Topps series 2 buddy! :suicide:

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I just opened a box of Topps Heritage (2012) and my "hit" was a Jose Reyes relic (jersey). I now have a stupid question that I probably already know the answer to.

He is in a Mets uniform on the card, if this was pulled in a box break I assume it goes to the Mets owner as opposed to the Marlins?

Also got a Billy Butler refractor, which I'm sure will go for a king's ransom with the way they were nonstop booing Cano at the HR Debry. Wait, it's barely worth a buck? poo poo.

DaFuente
Nov 23, 2003

puppeh
A&G is pretty cool.

Pretty cool indeed.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
^^^Nice card

TheBizzness posted:

I just opened a box of Topps Heritage (2012) and my "hit" was a Jose Reyes relic (jersey). I now have a stupid question that I probably already know the answer to.

He is in a Mets uniform on the card, if this was pulled in a box break I assume it goes to the Mets owner as opposed to the Marlins?

Also got a Billy Butler refractor, which I'm sure will go for a king's ransom with the way they were nonstop booing Cano at the HR Debry. Wait, it's barely worth a buck? poo poo.

Yeah, a normal team break would see it go to the Mets.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Allen & Ginter was good to me last year:

My best card this year has been a Rick Porcello jersey.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
Good Lord.

Was part of an amazing A&G case break tonight and got a Braun rip card /10. Sooooo psyched!

insideoutsider
Aug 31, 2003

You want a van? I get you a van.
Not a baseball article, now I REALLY want to see what Panini would do with an MLB license...

http://www.beckett.com/news/2012/07/paninis-nfl-rookie-drawn-sketch-cards-available-at-nscc/#more-47696

DaFuente
Nov 23, 2003

puppeh

theacox posted:

Good Lord.

Was part of an amazing A&G case break tonight and got a Braun rip card /10. Sooooo psyched!

Just saw this. Did you rip it? RIP IT

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

insideoutsider posted:

Not a baseball article, now I REALLY want to see what Panini would do with an MLB license...

http://www.beckett.com/news/2012/07/paninis-nfl-rookie-drawn-sketch-cards-available-at-nscc/#more-47696

Lamar Miller rules.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

DaFuente posted:

Just saw this. Did you rip it? RIP IT

Haha no. Sorry.

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009
From my few boxes of 2012 Bowman Platinum I did pull one of the sickest patch cards I think you will ever see.

http://imgur.com/9tTn2

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Sotar posted:

From my few boxes of 2012 Bowman Platinum I did pull one of the sickest patch cards I think you will ever see.

Nice tag patch.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

Sweet. Plat, this year, really does have crazy patches, but I've yet to see a tag like that.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

Sotar posted:

Dude how did you get a Roy Halladay Phillies card 6 years ago?! (seriously that's cool as hell)

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I bought a jumbo box of 2012 Topps Series 2 to put the set together and got stiffed on the autograph. This is the first time Topps has screwed me over on a hit! I'm still waiting to hear back from customer service on it.

At best I'm going to get a book value $8 scrub right?

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

Boinks posted:

At best I'm going to get a book value $8 scrub right?

My jumbo S2 box auto was a golden moments Liam Hendricks auto, so you may be setting your sights kind of high at $8.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

theacox posted:

My jumbo S2 box auto was a golden moments Liam Hendricks auto, so you may be setting your sights kind of high at $8.

One of my last Bowman Chrome boxes had a Liam Hendricks auto :suicide:

DaFuente
Nov 23, 2003

puppeh
Whatever you get, I'll gladly trade you my Yovani Gallardo Golden Moments for it.

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009
I'll trade you my sweet Alex Avilla Golden Moments relic. Or maybe you want my :krad: Adam Lind Golden Moments relic.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

My Golden Moments relic in the box was Hank Cogner. :smith:

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Any time people are complaining about their hits I have to bring up the full case plus half of another of 2010 Topps Chrome I broke when it came out. ZERO of Strasburg, Heyward or Castro. I was PISSED.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

jeffersonlives posted:

PSA has already graded about 700 of them and Heritage is handling most of the sales. The jewels of the collection will be spread about their major auctions for the next year or two, since it's going to be a lot of duplicate bidders.

I'll be quite interested to see what the PSA 10 Wagner goes for; that might beat the $500k projection on its own.
The lot of the 37 E98 cards sold for $566K.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8228330/baseball-cards-found-attic-sold-more-566k-auction

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
A couple people at the National who saw the PSA 10 Wagner said it had some bad registration issues (and thus was a questionable 10), which I suspect depressed the hammer price a lot. Still pretty strong given that this was only the first five percent or so of the find.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Have any of you guys ever gone to the National? After seeing Bill Simmons photoblogs of it, it seems like even if you didn't buy a thing the sheer amount of stuff there makes it an incredible day of browsing.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

ElwoodCuse posted:

Have any of you guys ever gone to the National? After seeing Bill Simmons photoblogs of it, it seems like even if you didn't buy a thing the sheer amount of stuff there makes it an incredible day of browsing.
I'd really like to at some point, but living in the south, they never hold one anywhere within 1000 miles of here.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

ElwoodCuse posted:

Yep and I'm going this year too.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

ElwoodCuse posted:

In 1987, if that counts. Considering that I haven't been to a convention since 1993, I'll assume things are a bit different now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

I was cleaning my room today and found these. Probably not worth much, if anything, but still cool to find some of my old cards.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

• Locked thread