Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I think the only actual gameplay that that trailer showed was a (mandatory I assume) turret segment. That doesn't exactly bode well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I want to find the man who created the first turret segment and I want to shame him. I want to shame him with what he created.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Cbouncerrun posted:

What do you mean? I didn't really notice anything wrong with it.

The bits where you had to walk through the bog. The ripple mechanics were poorly explained and served exactly zero purpose except to slow your progress.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Cbouncerrun posted:

What do you mean? I didn't really notice anything wrong with it.
It has an invisible death wall, is completely unfun to maneuver through, invalidates many of the basic strategies of combat given to you by the game... and it's the first real level in the entire game.

It was really, really bad, and made me quit right there rather than slog through that mess.

(you probably wouldn't notice most of its problems if you tend to follow the straight line path through a game by default)

Samurai Sanders posted:

I think the only actual gameplay that that trailer showed was a (mandatory I assume) turret segment. That doesn't exactly bode well.
At least I smiled at the jokes / tone. If the gameplay's at least up to Wolverine standards, that is a character I could stand shooting some dudes with.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jul 15, 2012

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

ImpAtom posted:

I want to find the man who created the first turret segment and I want to shame him. I want to shame him with what he created.

I'm picturing that Achewood comic about the guy who invented Comic Sans, only with turret segments instead.

I THINK HE WANTS TO BITE THE CURB!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lords of Shadow is like the prime example of learning to trim your game and figure out what content does and doesn't need to be there. LoS has content but it dramatically lacks polish and that ends up hurting it in the long run because unpolished-but-samey content can get old really loving fast.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

ImpAtom posted:

The one turret segment worth a drat:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCrA2DfqeC8

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Oh well, I'm playing La Mulana now and that's definitely taking care of my exploration/combat thing, at least for now.

edit: I find about a third of what Deadpool says funny and the other two thirds pretty damned embarrassing.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jul 15, 2012

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Better than the real Deadpool then.

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows

Aphrodite posted:

Better than the real Deadpool then.

I was gonna say it sounds like a pretty accurate Deadpool.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

BlindNinja posted:

I was gonna say it sounds like a pretty accurate Deadpool.

No, he said some of it was funny.

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows

boom boom boom posted:

No, he said some of it was funny.

1/3 funny hits the spot for me. Most of my exposure to his dialogue and personality is from Cable & Deadpool series, so I'm pretty happy with the representation. He's usually "funny" in a corny way, but it works elegantly with Cable's deadpan.

edit: As for the trailer itself, it definitely comes off as a Captain America quality game. The graphics look about as good. I'm not convinced I even saw any gameplay, it could be poorly rendered cutscenes that are supposed to represent gameplay.

BlindNinja fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jul 15, 2012

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
So JoJo's Bizarre Adventure HD is a thing that is happening. August 21/22 XBLA/PSN for 20 bucks. Capcom will be streaming the game from Comic Con at noon PDT today according to their twitter.

Interesting that this is happening now when Namco Bandai have a brand new JoJo fighter coming out.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Discount Viscount posted:

So JoJo's Bizarre Adventure HD is a thing that is happening. August 21/22 XBLA/PSN for 20 bucks. Capcom will be streaming the game from Comic Con at noon PDT today according to their twitter.

Interesting that this is happening now when Namco Bandai have a brand new JoJo fighter coming out.

I was a big fan of Jojo's and I've heard nothing but cool things about the old fighting game for it, so this will probably be one to check out. Neat! Thanks for the head's up.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Woah the fighting game is a niche favorite that's pretty awesome

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
It's definitely the only fighting game with a bird and a dog as player characters (not some kind of anthropomorphized bird and dog, just normal ones).

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Shalinor posted:

At least I smiled at the jokes / tone. If the gameplay's at least up to Wolverine standards, that is a character I could stand shooting some dudes with.

The "pew pew pew" part god-drat made me laugh like mad because I'm literally a five-year-old child.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

It's definitely the only fighting game with a bird and a dog as player characters (not some kind of anthropomorphized bird and dog, just normal ones).

There's nothing normal about a hawk with ice powers and a dog with sand powers!

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
And even if the dog didn't have sand powers, it's pretty freaky.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

Clearly you haven't played Samurai Shodown VI.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Tekken games had a bear, and I think a kangaroo? There's also Primal Rage for the Super Nintendo and Genesis.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

I said come in! posted:

The Tekken games had a bear, and I think a kangaroo? There's also Primal Rage for the Super Nintendo and Genesis.
Bears, kangaroo, dinosaurs, robots...

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah but all anthropomorphized, both in size and how their bone structure works. How else could mokujin, who has a humanoid skeleton, match their animations?

Compare that with this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YkbNFzzEOE

edit: vvv oh yeah, that's true, and other tiny characters like servbots.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jul 15, 2012

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Samurai Sanders posted:

UMVC3 has Ammy, so there's that?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Guardian Heroes had a rabbit. Not really a traditional fighting game though.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
A bit late in chiming in on this but Gotham City Imposters really is pretty good. I suck at it something feirce but I'm having a good time healing people with a megaphone or turning invisible and killing people from behind with a katana or hatchet.

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows

Question Mark Mound posted:

Bears, kangaroo, dinosaurs, robots...

I miss Gon :(.

Namco, why don't you like fun anymore? Did Bandai hurt you?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

BlindNinja posted:

I miss Gon :(.

Namco, why don't you like fun anymore? Did Bandai hurt you?
Just from looking at Tekken Tag 2 videos it looks like the fun is still alive and well in the Tekken camp. But I'm still not going to get it. Nope. I'm out of the fighting game biz for good. I'm not even going to LOOK at Jojo either.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

Just from looking at Tekken Tag 2 videos it looks like the fun is still alive and well in the Tekken camp. But I'm still not going to get it. Nope. I'm out of the fighting game biz for good. I'm not even going to LOOK at Jojo either.

What about PlayStation All-Stars though? It looks so freakin' good :ohdear:

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows

Samurai Sanders posted:

Did fighting games hurt you?

I will probably never be good at a fighting game, but that didn't stop me getting UMvC3, T5, SF4, and SCIV. Marvel is so pretty to watch, and I finally caved when Ultimate was launched. I can't help myself. I still have misguided dreams of becoming a tourney player too. At the very least, fighting games are tons of fun to play with friends on the couch. Getting molested online is another story.

I've never been interested in the Tag franchise though, no idea why.

/\/\ speaking of All Stars, I know it will never happen, but Gon would be such an awesome addition. Tekken 3 was a huge chunk of my PS1 experience.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Yeah Gon would have been cool, but Heihachi is one of the most iconic characters in the franchise, so he's the one that they put in PS All-Stars. They also just announced that Cole from inFamous will be in the game too, along with Jak & Daxter :)

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Fighters Megamix had a car.

I wish the car from Street Fighter/Final Fight would be a playable character some time. Its story could be seeking redress for past ignominies.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Jak and Daxter are a good addition but Jak seems a lot more uh... shooty than I thought he'd be. I guess I never really played anything past the original game though, so there must have been lots of guns in the later titles or something?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Sorry to interrupt the fighting-game talk, but is there any good Final-Fantasy Tactics-like game for the PS3 or should I go straight for the PSOne port?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Kelp Plankton posted:

Jak and Daxter are a good addition but Jak seems a lot more uh... shooty than I thought he'd be. I guess I never really played anything past the original game though, so there must have been lots of guns in the later titles or something?

Yeah, the 2nd and 3rd game changed the tone and gameplay a lot.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Kelp Plankton posted:

Jak II turned into a sort of GTA-lite. It was also balls-hard. The Jak in All-Stars seems to be basically lifted directly from Jak 3, which makes sense because that's where he had the most guns and the most powers (Dark Jak from II and the new Light Jak). Also, the less said about the PSP game, the better.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

BlindNinja posted:

Did fighting games hurt you?
No, I just lose interest in them really soon, a few weeks after getting a new one at best. Even though I love technical action games, They don't have a crucial element that basically all the games I like these days have: exploration.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

It's me. I'm the guy who used to play fighting games just to see everyone's ending video / epilogue. Games need to bring those back in a better way. MVC3's were all really short. Tekken used to have actual videos/epilogues, which is why Tekken 3 was the best.

Also Gon, bowling, volleyball, etc.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

HardDisk posted:

Sorry to interrupt the fighting-game talk, but is there any good Final-Fantasy Tactics-like game for the PS3 or should I go straight for the PSOne port?

You should look into Valkyria Chronicles, it's the best SRPG the PS3 has right now.

Harlock posted:

It's me. I'm the guy who used to play fighting games just to see everyone's ending video / epilogue. Games need to bring those back in a better way. MVC3's were all really short. Tekken used to have actual videos/epilogues, which is why Tekken 3 was the best.

MK9's story mode sill beats any epilogues other fighting games may have. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows

Harlock posted:

Also Gon, bowling, volleyball, etc.

Yes, yes, yes. I know there's built-in replay value with fighting games in the competitive scene, but why can't developers add in more content (i.e. fun) to the games like the good ol' times. Tekken 3 had all that stuff, plus Final Fight mode. Even Ehrgeiz had Zelda mode.

/\/\ MK9 is probably the only fighting game that approaches the content level of Tekken 3

• Locked thread