Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

DalaranJ posted:

I wasn't expecting this to make so much of a difference but it really does. Beat both guardian 2 and 3 in one shot after getting that.

I swear the only weapon that I used less in the original was the Keyblade but in this version, it is totally bad rear end, especially once you get the gauntlet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

slayn posted:

I need help figuring out how to get the book of the dead. At this point I've killed I think 4 bosses, and explored many areas, and feel like I'm blocked on so many things without the double jump.. And I think the above item is the piece of the chain I'm missing to be able to get it.

Mulbruk, the girl in the Temple of the Sun under the grail point, gives the book to you after some random point in the game. I don't know what the conditions are for her to give it to you because I'd been exploring quite far without the double jump before she handed it to me.

slayn
Jul 12, 2006

FPzero posted:

Mulbruk, the girl in the Temple of the Sun under the grail point, gives the book to you after some random point in the game. I don't know what the conditions are for her to give it to you because I'd been exploring quite far without the double jump before she handed it to me.

Thanks, that got it. Previously, any time I fought Anubis I either died or just reset. But after you told me that I tried going to Anubis, whipping him once, and then leaving. And only then did she give the book. So you can probably get it from her immediately, but you have to give Anubis a slap and then talk to her.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Ellmac (boss of the sun temple) is killing me like crazy, I've been at him all day and he wont die, I even stocked up 60 shurikens but to no avail, my health is at 96 at the moment, should I keep at it or should I try a different boss first? he's my third boss.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Al-Saqr posted:

Ellmac (boss of the sun temple) is killing me like crazy, I've been at him all day and he wont die, I even stocked up 60 shurikens but to no avail, my health is at 96 at the moment, should I keep at it or should I try a different boss first? he's my third boss.

Buy the gun, kill him in 3 shots. He's by far the most painful boss to fight in melee and takes forever to down with shurikens.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

You HAVE to get up in Elmac's face to deal with him quickly. Just try to ascertain the timing of his attacks and get some whip hits in when the opportunity presents itself. His fireballs do relatively little damage, so you can afford to be patient as long as you don't hit his body.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

Al-Saqr posted:

As far as I know, you don't even have to attack him. She gave it to me after Anubis appeared and I just teleported out.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Super Jay Mann posted:

You HAVE to get up in Elmac's face to deal with him quickly. Just try to ascertain the timing of his attacks and get some whip hits in when the opportunity presents itself. His fireballs do relatively little damage, so you can afford to be patient as long as you don't hit his body.

The problem I have is that bosses hitboxes are the size of a pea and I pretty much had to kamikaze myself with the axe to be able to even deal damage. Every boss has this problem where you have to attack the exact pixel on the boss or you won't get a hit in. I had the same problem with Mausoleum of the giants boss too.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.
How do I beat that one subboss in Twin Labyrinths that stops time and shoots feathers at you?

The pistol doesn't work, and when he freezes time he pretty much auto hits me for a bunch of damage.

Ledgem
Oct 20, 2010
The bosses in this game have been giving me the most trouble out of anything but melee is really the way to go. In the old version they were desgined with projectiles in mind but now they're all made (only 5 bosses in so far) with melee in mind and it is entirely possible to kill them with minimal damage doing so. Even the Bahamut was easy after I got the hang of it with the axe, no damage. The exception so far has been The boss of the lava area, viy. There are hardly any options to melee him and the old knife to the eye trick doesn't work because he has considerably more health and his aura drains you too quick. After getting lucky and him using the non lazer move a bunch I was able to hit him enough with melee to finish him off.

Also the chamber of birth and the Infinite corridor miniboss can go to the Hell Temple. For the first time I think I'm stuck because I keep dying rather than being lost in a puzzle.

slayn
Jul 12, 2006

RaspberryCommie posted:

How do I beat that one subboss in Twin Labyrinths that stops time and shoots feathers at you?

The pistol doesn't work, and when he freezes time he pretty much auto hits me for a bunch of damage.

I had the axe, about 200 life, and brought a healing fairy. I stood on the right side middle-uppish platform and never left it and let him just come to me. I jumped over his feathers when possible, but time stop was an auto hit. And then I just wailed on him with the axe as best I could. It worked after a couple tries.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Ledgem posted:

The bosses in this game have been giving me the most trouble out of anything but melee is really the way to go. In the old version they were desgined with projectiles in mind but now they're all made (only 5 bosses in so far) with melee in mind and it is entirely possible to kill them with minimal damage doing so. Even the Bahamut was easy after I got the hang of it with the axe, no damage. The exception so far has been The boss of the lava area, viy. There are hardly any options to melee him and the old knife to the eye trick doesn't work because he has considerably more health and his aura drains you too quick. After getting lucky and him using the non lazer move a bunch I was able to hit him enough with melee to finish him off.

Also the chamber of birth and the Infinite corridor miniboss can go to the Hell Temple. For the first time I think I'm stuck because I keep dying rather than being lost in a puzzle.

(second boss) Sakit can be melee'd? In his second form which surprised the hell outta me let me tell you, the flame coming out of his arm keeps me from getting close enough.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

(second boss) Sakit can be melee'd? In his second form which surprised the hell outta me let me tell you, the flame coming out of his arm keeps me from getting close enough.

Yeah, at that point I just broke down and used the gun. Couldn't find a way to use melee at all.

Also is there a way to earn money easier? I've been buying all the unique items from shops but constantly having to buy shurikens is starting to eat into my wallet.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
You are talking about a conception seal boss, I think meaning the laser-shooting guy in Spring in the Sky? I haven't even got a conception seal and I've beaten him ages ago. Do you mean the birth seal, or did I miss something..?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I was referring to the Giant's Mausoleum boss, personally. :v:

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

Just throw shirukens at his face in his second phase, it doesn't take many to finish it.

Bad Bromance
May 20, 2010

Sorry, guys, I actually do still suck dick! :blush: Also my mom only lets me spend five bucks a month to get my cool gaga avatars back so I guess I'm stuck with this one for a while. :(
Does anyone know how to get the Isis Pendant? I've looked everywhere around this antechamber and I can't find anything

slayn
Jul 12, 2006

Bad Bromance posted:

Does anyone know how to get the Isis Pendant? I've looked everywhere around this antechamber and I can't find anything

found in a secret room in the temple of the sun. In the leftmost room on the map with the door to... inferno cave I think? attack the ceiling

Red Mundus posted:

Yeah, at that point I just broke down and used the gun. Couldn't find a way to use melee at all.

Also is there a way to earn money easier? I've been buying all the unique items from shops but constantly having to buy shurikens is starting to eat into my wallet.
Not immediately, but after you get the Isis Pendant:
There are spawn points for fairies. One of the possible fairies is a green one that makes all enemies/pots/whatever suddenly drop loads of poo poo. Money, sub weapons, weights, etc. Each fairy can net you probably around 50+ monies.

slayn fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jul 15, 2012

Bad Bromance
May 20, 2010

Sorry, guys, I actually do still suck dick! :blush: Also my mom only lets me spend five bucks a month to get my cool gaga avatars back so I guess I'm stuck with this one for a while. :(

slayn posted:

found in a secret room in the temple of the sun. In the leftmost room on the map with the door to... inferno cave I think? attack the ceiling

Are there any other requirements? I can't damage any of the ceiling blocks

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
You know, I would shell out money for a PS Vita version. Just sayin'.

slayn
Jul 12, 2006

Bad Bromance posted:

Are there any other requirements? I can't damage any of the ceiling blocks

hmm, I must not know part of it then. In my game I found it on accident when I was just whipping to the music :downs:

edit:
maybe you have to Have talked to the fairy in the endless corridor first?

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

slayn posted:

hmm, I must not know part of it then. In my game I found it on accident when I was just whipping to the music :downs:

Now whip it!
Whip it good!

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

slayn posted:

Not immediately, but after you get the Isis Pendant:
There are spawn points for fairies. One of the possible fairies is a green one that makes all enemies/pots/whatever suddenly drop loads of poo poo. Money, sub weapons, weights, etc. Each fairy can net you probably around 50+ monies.

The fairy point in Tower of the Goddess seems to be the best for money. There are two pots right below that give anywhere from 10-20 coins per round (the third bottom pot doesn't give anything I think.) and respawn whenever you exit to the right and reenter. Just going back and forth as quickly as possible I can net >150 coins using a single fairy.

Bad Bromance
May 20, 2010

slayn posted:

edit:
maybe you have to Have talked to the fairy in the endless corridor first?

That did it, thanks. I must have died without saving last time I was there

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

tooooooo bad posted:

Just throw shirukens at his face in his second phase, it doesn't take many to finish it.

Ahaha god damnit I didn't even think to check shurikens again when he changed phases. You Have Obliterated Sakit! :woop:

(edit) And then of course I nail the poo poo out of Ellmac first try. :v:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jul 15, 2012

AndyAML
Jul 24, 2006

HEY BASS WHY MUST I FIGHT YOU WE ARE NOT ENEMIES

Red Mundus posted:

This is the best way I've found so far. The first step is to get a coin fairy, so you'll need Isis' Pendant if you haven't gotten it already. Next, go to the Chamber of Extinction, specifically this screen: http://i.minus.com/jbjYEprKBKyuZ0.jpg

Now, stand where Lemeza is in the screenshot and start breaking the blocks to your left. You should get about 20 coins each time you break them all. Then, just go offscreen to the right and immediately back left to refresh the blocks. Repeat as necessary. If you have the Bracelet from the Twin Labyrinths and the Gauntlet from the Graveyard of the Giants, you can get insane amounts of money - easily anywhere from 400-600 coins before the fairy leaves. However, if you don't have these items then you won't get as much money, since it will take longer to break the blocks before the fairy leaves.

Delicious Meat
Feb 28, 2006

Violence is always the answer. No exceptions.
When I read that the mini-bosses and bosses had their difficulty ramped way up, I thought it was hyperbole. It wasn't. Every boss has given me a VERY hard time, especially Bahamut. Resorting to the pistol feels like cheating.

slayn posted:

I had the axe, about 200 life, and brought a healing fairy. I stood on the right side middle-uppish platform and never left it and let him just come to me. I jumped over his feathers when possible, but time stop was an auto hit. And then I just wailed on him with the axe as best I could. It worked after a couple tries.
I had this work the first time, then a harpy knocked me into a smash-trap.

drat it. :sigh:

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.
oh god dammit

I'm deep into the game and I got to 'the' point where the plot unloads, running around going to a different area I found the balance puzzle, I walked in and had 4 weights and realized you needed to use weights to solve the puzzle. So I warped to get more weights and saved after getting them. I come back and a door opened and the tablet and the pedestals are gone.

Son of a bitch.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Forer posted:

oh god dammit

I'm deep into the game and I got to 'the' point where the plot unloads, running around going to a different area I found the balance puzzle, I walked in and had 4 weights and realized you needed to use weights to solve the puzzle. So I warped to get more weights and saved after getting them. I come back and a door opened and the tablet and the pedestals are gone.

Son of a bitch.

Let this man's tragic tale be a lesson to everyone: save in multiple slots. :japan:

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

tooooooo bad posted:

Let this man's tragic tale be a lesson to everyone: save in multiple slots. :japan:

I told this story so my lesson could be known, I'll just keep going and play again later to get that puzzle solved on a different save.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.

slayn posted:

He seems to only time stop right after you hit him, and if you time your strike right so that you hit him just as it goes off, it interrupts his cast. I still haven't managed to kill him yet :(

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Is something supposed to happen in the Confusion/Illusion Gate when you use the Mini-doll in the Mausoleum of Giants? Because I don't notice anything...

slayn
Jul 12, 2006

Evil Eagle posted:

Is something supposed to happen in the Confusion/Illusion Gate when you use the Mini-doll in the Mausoleum of Giants? Because I don't notice anything...

There is a stone tablet next to a barrier that tells you to be small. After you trigger the secret for using the doll in the giant area, read that tablet again and the barrier will be gone.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

Evil Eagle posted:

You can't solve that puzzle immediately, you got the proverbial key to the puzzle but not the lock to use it in yet

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Adhesive Gamin posted:

He seems to only time stop right after you hit him, and if you time your strike right so that you hit him just as it goes off, it interrupts his cast. I still haven't managed to kill him yet :(

I don't even think you have to hit him to cancel the spell, just being really close seemed to be enough. There were a couple of times I swear I missed him on the swing and I still avoided the freeze.

I remember back when the wii ware version of this came out in Japan, and there was a goon playing through it. I remember that this boss in particular was giveing them a hell of a time.

I still love how in this game, after the 1st few bosses, the whole world opens up and it is hours before I even get to another one as I keep hoping into places to snatch the weapons and items.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.

Underwhelmed posted:

I don't even think you have to hit him to cancel the spell, just being really close seemed to be enough. There were a couple of times I swear I missed him on the swing and I still avoided the freeze.

I managed to win handily a few minutes ago, or I'd try to check this out :v:

On the other hand I'm kind of disappointed now because he doesn't seem to have been directly blocking the katana as I had assumed, unless I'm missing some hidden ladder somewhere.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Adhesive Gamin posted:

I managed to win handily a few minutes ago, or I'd try to check this out :v:

On the other hand I'm kind of disappointed now because he doesn't seem to have been directly blocking the katana as I had assumed, unless I'm missing some hidden ladder somewhere.

Oh no he is, but you need the twin statue. What he blocks access to is the switch that actually opens the Katana's vault. Assuming that it is as it was in the original. I killed him before I had the twin statue and haven't been back there yet.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
Can anyone go over exactly how to get the double jump (well, the serpent staff namely I guess) this time around? I distinctly remember having the double jump (and I think the knife which I also seem to be missing, but I'm not sure if that things location changed or if i just forgot how to get it) when fighting Bahamut before but now i'm missing both.

Mr. Stay-Puft
Jul 5, 2007
I tried to think of the most harmless thing. Something that could never destroy us.
Has anyone been able to get this running on Wine? It starts perfectly but ignores keyboard input, which means I can get to the title screen but no further. (Maybe it's ignoring the keyboard in favor of a nonexistent Xbox controller which it thinks is there? Is there a command-line switch for the game that disables Xbox controller support?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Is there a tablet you need to read to access the mace?

• Locked thread