Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Happy Hippo posted:

Sure, it'll be the same. It'll be just like the movie and that lovely Bendis book. Soon all Avengers across all media will be just those characters. Because the public cannot fathom different incarnations of anything so at the end of the day we need to utilize cross-platform synergy by thinking outside of the box so that we can shift our paradigm and hit the ground running.
Wasn't that the reason why there was a Bat Embargo in JLU?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Cliff Racer posted:

Haha, how on earth did they do that? Anyways movie/comic synergy has been around for awhile. Remember the last time Spiderman got organic web shooters?

Nick Fury has a secret half-black bastard son who coincidentally loses the exact same eye as his father and decides to start calling himself "Nick" because he finds out that's the name on his birth certificate despite going his entire life being called Marcus. Also his best friend is Agent Coulson. Yes it's as hackneyed as it sounds, don't read Battle Scars.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Dacap posted:

Nick Fury has a secret half-black bastard son who coincidentally loses the exact same eye as his father and decides to start calling himself "Nick" because he finds out that's the name on his birth certificate despite going his entire life being called Marcus. Also his best friend is Agent Coulson. Yes it's as hackneyed as it sounds, don't read Battle Scars.

Those two glaringly easy to fix problems are just the tip of the iceberg.

Giggling villain is takes that specific eye. He's just loving named Nick I mean poo poo Nick Fury is famous enough in military circles to get people named after him.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I never ever thought that a team-up between Venom and Dr. Doofenshmirtz was ever a possibility, but I guess we have something to look forward to next year.

:doom: "CURSE YOU PERRY THE PLATYPUS AND RICHAAARDS!"

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Dacap posted:

Because Coulson is obviously the breakout character in the movies, I'm sure every kid watching it has memorized his name and is frantically looking through the funny pages to find that dead guy who died in that movie.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Nilbop posted:

Because Coulson is obviously the breakout character in the movies, I'm sure every kid watching it has memorized his name and is frantically looking through the funny pages to find that dead guy who died in that movie.
Coulson is just the strangest thing. I read the last battle scars book before seeing that film and when Coulson died on screen I think I blacked out for a minute at the complete insanity of putting him in a comic catching up with me. Did they not know? Are they just loving with me? What is this bullshit?

Inversely I think Coulson would actually be excellent in the cartoons and represents a good character to slide over. I have no strong attachment to most of the modern era shield agents. But he's dead now, so the whole thing just hurts my brain.

It feels like attempts at "movie-izing" the comics just ends up making the comics harder to approach.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Remember how when Disney bought Marvel they were all, "Nope, we won't tell them how to do their jobs. Don't worry about it, guys."

Yeah.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Happy Hippo posted:

Remember how when Disney bought Marvel they were all, "Nope, we won't tell them how to do their jobs. Don't worry about it, guys."

Yeah.

Yeah what? This stuff was probably driven by Marvel itself, just like their rush to cash in on the Spiderman films was six or seven years ago.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Cliff Racer posted:

Yeah what? This stuff was probably driven by Marvel itself, just like their rush to cash in on the Spiderman films was six or seven years ago.

Not to mention the Deadpool explosion when the Wolverine movie came out.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Happy Hippo posted:

Yeah.

The way people were freaking out they were expecting crazy crossover titles like Duck Tales to Astonish, Fantasia Four, or Alice in Savage Land.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Lobok posted:

The way people were freaking out they were expecting crazy crossover titles like Duck Tales to Astonish, Fantasia Four, or Alice in Savage Land.

Fantasia Four would blow your mind wide loving open.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Lobok posted:

I'd read a book with Huey, Dewey and Loki.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Lobok posted:

Oh wee yeah! Kingpin!
Oh wee oh! Kingpin!
All the trouble we get in with another King to pin!

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Lobok posted:

I would happily watch/read any of those. :colbert:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Spiderdrake posted:

Coulson is just the strangest thing. I read the last battle scars book before seeing that film and when Coulson died on screen I think I blacked out for a minute at the complete insanity of putting him in a comic catching up with me. Did they not know? Are they just loving with me? What is this bullshit?

Maybe they figured Joss Whedon could make a movie without killing anybody and they'd have time to make Coulson more popular.

Those poor fools.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Comic Con DC Nation stuff:

Justice League of Animals brings back Diedrich Bader as Batmongoose
Static will be on Young Justice
Ch'p and Guy Gardner in Green Lantern
Teen Titans Go episodes will 11 minutes long
The Beware the Batman producers know how much hate there is for them, so they're giving Alfred more guns, Rambo style That was a joke slide

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Dr Tran posted:

Static will be on Young Justice

Huh. Guess I'll have to catch up on Young Justice then. Then again, chances are he'll be in one episode and then dropped like the characters introduced near the finale.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Lobok posted:

Don't worry, it has begun.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

TwoPair posted:

Maybe they figured Joss Whedon could make a movie without killing anybody and they'd have time to make Coulson more popular.

Those poor fools.

Funny thing is that Marvel said he had to die. It was not Whedon who decided that.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lobok posted:

Man, that's what I WANT to happen.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

Funny thing is that Marvel said he had to die. It was not Whedon who decided that.

Either way the death makes perfect sense for the reasoning used in the film. And I guess it also means that Marvel is double-dumb for pushing the guy in the books after they ordered his death in the movie?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I don't really get the Coulson love at all, since he was really never an interesting character until maybe Avengers, and even then opinion is divided.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I don't really get the Coulson love at all, since he was really never an interesting character until maybe Avengers, and even then opinion is divided.

He would love you if you were a senior citizen, and he might cuddle with you.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
More Comic-Con Marvel Animation stuff.

Loeb wants to do another Wolverine vs. Hulk movie? What.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I am 99% certain that agent of smash will be terrible and a ratings disaster.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Monaghan posted:

I am 99% certain that agent of smash will be terrible and a ratings disaster.

Starring Hulk, aka the Muscle!
Red Hulk, aka the Muscle!
Blue Fish-Hulk, aka the Muscle!
Son-of-Hulk, aka the Muscle!
and She-Hulk, who will always be shot with her chest in the frame.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Wow, an Inhumans and an Eternals movie. I'm really interested to see what those turn out to be.

Edit: And a movie covering Whedon's Astonishing run? Wow. I'm at least glad that Marvel are getting back into the animated film business in a big way; Planet Hulk was awesome.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jul 18, 2012

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Hakkesshu posted:

Wow, an Inhumans and an Eternals movie. I'm really interested to see what those turn out to be.

Edit: And a movie covering Whedon's Astonishing run? Wow. I'm at least glad that Marvel are getting back into the animated film business in a big way; Planet Hulk was awesome.

Are those movies? I found most of the articles unclear. I think these may be more of the Motion Comics like they've done with part of Astonishing and with Extremis. That's why they say "wrapping up" Whedon's Astonishing.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Timeless Appeal posted:

Maybe this one is based on the Ultimate Comics story line?

I still don't know how I feel about Assemble. Trying to bring in the scope of the movie? How was EMH different in scope? The very first story arc had an attack on NYC. IF anything, didn't the studio heads at Marvel ask them to scale the stories down into one shot deals??

I really hope it is nothing like USM and has as little to do with that show as possible.

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jul 18, 2012

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Dacap posted:

Are those movies? I found most of the articles unclear. I think these may be more of the Motion Comics like they've done with part of Astonishing and with Extremis. That's why they say "wrapping up" Whedon's Astonishing.

Ah, you're totally right. I didn't realize that was what the Marvel Knights/Shout Factory thing was referring to. Well, that's massively disappointing.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Yeah, the motion comics are pretty awful But I bet they're cheap as hell to produce.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Yeah, you're right. The Marvel Knights animation is strictly their motion-comics.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Haha, that was awesome timing.

redbackground posted:

Man, that's what I WANT to happen.

Oh, totally, but it sounded like at the time people were saying "Welp, if Spider-Man now exists in the same world as Howard the Duck Donald Duck, Rocket Raccoon Chip 'n' Dale, or Beast the Beast then I'm out!"

VVV The conversation came from HappyHippo's post, who may or may not have been talking about Phineas & Ferb or Coulson. VVV

Lobok fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jul 18, 2012

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

But... that's what I linked to to start this conversation.

Anyway, I'm all for it. I haven't watched too much Phineas and Ferb, but I've enjoyed what I've seen. It's a good show.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Spider-Man now exists in the same world as Sora, Donald, and Goofy.

Nilbop posted:

Starring Hulk, aka the Muscle!
Red Hulk, aka the Muscle!
Blue Fish-Hulk, aka the Muscle!
Son-of-Hulk, aka the Muscle!
and She-Hulk, who will always be shot with her chest in the frame.

I like how Skaar has Prince Valiant hair. I hope he talks with Thor's old verilys and thous.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Timeless Appeal posted:

Wow Loeb is such a huge loving liar about Earth's Mightiest Heroes always being only 52 episode when others that actually worked on it said Season 3 was planned to be about Surtur.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Where's my Donald Duck, Scrooge McDuck, Darkwing Duck and Howard the Duck crossover Disney!!??!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

DrPaper posted:

Where's my Donald Duck, Scrooge McDuck, Darkwing Duck and Howard the Duck crossover Disney!!??!

Get in line, I want my Gargoyles vs X-Men mini first.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

Get in line, I want my Gargoyles vs X-Men mini first.

"We're here for Eliza."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Nilbop posted:

"We're here for Eliza."

Nah, Angela's obviously the one the Phoenix would want.

• Locked thread